Publix

www.publix.com

Publix Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros
  • Great benefits; amazing 401k options; willing to work with a college student's schedule(in 77 reviews)

• Good benefits and pay is raised at a decent amount throughout your career there(in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • I'm pretty sure this is illegal if I am not converted to a full-time employee but make(in 115 reviews)

• People who can only work part time only get to work ONE DAY per week at times(in 65 reviews)

Great high school/ college job

Cashier (Former Employee) Roswell, GA

Prosgood pay, great hours and very flexible. easy to move from departments and easy to make an impression with other department heads,

ConsThere was no communication about careers with corporate. one day you will walk in the break room and you find out you have a new manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease communicate with us about corporate jobs or how we can have a career with Publix. Also, dont pick favorites with the employees.

Be ready to work!

Seafood Specialist (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsIf you work hard at Publix you will advance. However, you must perform at a high level over time, like a year and a half. The environment constantly changes so be prepared to adjust. Every quarter, if you are full time, you will get a bonus. Publix also has increased vacation time to two weeks. Good Luck!

ConsPublix is constantly looking to save money so you might find your hours cut, or having to improvise due to lack of resources. You also will never have a consistent schedule, but that is retail for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to promote a family environment allow employees to have a set schedule. Also lower the prices a bit. Sometimes the frozen products are more expensive than the fresh items.

Not the best place to work...

Bagger for Three Months Then Cashier for Two Years (Former Employee) Spring Hill, FL

Prosyou get a good amount of hours-i was in high school and on two varsity sports teams while working there and still received a good 20+ hours per week.

ConsThey expect you to have a huge grin (not exaggerating) on your face while bringing in grocery carts in 90+ weather.

Very picky about bathroom cleanup.

I once had to call out because I was in the hospital and I was yelled at and hung up on. I spent the next hour crying.

I was once screamed at by a manager because a can of tuna wasn't pulled up-I wasn't even the one who was supposed to be leveling that night-I was on a register until closing.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe appreciative of the hard work that people do.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

publix isnt all its cracked up to be

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tuscaloosa, AL

Prosdecent benefits are available, but health insurance is rather pricey--$450/wk for family coverage. the stock plan is very good: they give you shares of stock in the company just for working there. they give out bonuses yearly, but they are very small for non-management personnel

Consthere is a HUGE discrepency between management pay/bonuses and non-management pay/bonuses. managers receive minimal training on effective management techniques. management could really care less about employees family/personal needs, but this is common in retail and food service industries.

Advice to Senior Managementplease try to narrow the huge gap between management and non-management salary/bonuses/benefits. coach your department managers to praise employees for jobs well done. be more flexible with shift assignments.

Publix

Grocery Associate (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsVery supportive management. They want you not only to succeed but to make a career of Publix weather in the stores or corporate.

ConsPublix is a career not a job regaurdless of possition. They expect the job to be your main priority and family life can sometimes take a back seat.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is very supportive and willing to assist to make employees better. I would like to see more accountability for some of the staff.

Publix where working is pleasant enough.

Cake Decorator (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThey provide good benefis. Willing to work with your schedule. Good reputation. Great training. Pay is fair and there is growth opportunity.

ConsThere is a general lack of professionalism. Unless you are a fulltime employee your hours are not guaranteed. One week you might have 30 hours, and the next they might cut them down to 20 or 25...

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with your associates. Give them feed back they are not mind readers. DO NOT gossip about associates with other associates or even other managers- It is unprofessional.

Great place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Venice, FL

ProsGood benefits for the retail industry.
    Limitless opportunities.
    Great experience.
    Flexible hours.
    Quarterly bonuses.
    Open door policy with management personal.

ConsMay have to work long shifts.
    May have to deal with unruly customers.
    May have to deal with people who don't care.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways listen to your associates and take care of them, and they will in return take care of Publix. Good managers can set standards and organize their departments.

goog company

Cashier (Former Employee) Lakeland, FL

ProsThose who do there best or figure out how to be better dont have to worry about favoritism, they become the favorites, and there is unlimited opportunity to advance for those that want to work for it. U will come across managers and senior managers with sub par intelligence, but ive also met doctors and lawyers that i thought were complete idiots too. Benefits are with out a doubt quite good especially if you have been there a long time. Overall ive loved my job and i like the philosophy of publix

Consi personally have no problem processing the massive variety of ready to cook items and regular items we are required to have at all time, but if we are compelled to have them then the district mangers should not constantly complain about lowering shrink when it is below 2 percent.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore attention should be paid to streamlining our day instead of just declaring "close hard open easy!" the closer should have nothing to do except take care of costumers and keep the deptartment sharp. and associates that process product should come in as early as possible when there are not many customers

A pretty decent place

Cashier (Former Employee) Clearwater, FL

Pros* Friendly people
    * Managers generally understanding of people needing time off.
    * Generally low stress work.
    * Easy job.

Cons* Random hours
    * Boring
    * Managers constantly ignore availability and have to change the schedule after it's been posted.
    * Not the best pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure the schedule matches availability before posting it! It will save everyone a lot of problems and the schedule won't need to be changed 2374329 times.

Great employer

Cashier (Former Employee) Woodstock, GA

ProsPay and benefits are great. Was offered a 401k after two years of employment.

ConsDepending on where the store is located, the job can get boring. There was not much traffic at my store so there were many slow days

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain people who are bored. Keeps minds active and spirits up. Also, don't force the carry out service. People know it's there and I they want it they will accept.

Worked for Publix? Contribute to the Community!