Publix Reviews

3.7
Publix CEO and Director Ed Crenshaw
Ed Crenshaw
1,140 Ratings

Pros
  • Great benefits for full time employees (in 102 reviews)

• Good benefits once you get hired on full time (in 79 reviews)

Cons
  • I held my full-time position for about 5 months until I decided I wanted to pursue my Masters degree (in 135 reviews)

• Part time employees are compensated fairly but not treated equally (in 79 reviews)

2,087 Employee Reviews

PUBLIX WHERE WORKING ISNT A PLEASURE

Current Employee - Manager in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Lakeland, FL

Pros

IT IS A COOL PLACE TO ABUSE CO-WORKERS AND FEEL LIKE DIRT, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU KNOCK YOURSELF OUT. FREE ANTIBIOTICS AND $6 A GALLON FOR MILK. BEING A WORKER TAKES ON THE TRUE MEANING. SHOPPING IS SUPPOSED TO BE A PLEASURE AND WORKING IS FAR FROM IT. MANAGEMENT WORKS LONG HOURS WITH LITTLE PAY DIFFERENCE. A COMPANY WITH NO LOYALTIES TO ITS EMPLOYEES. THE COMPANY STOCK IS WORTHLESS AND MANAGEMENT HAS NEVER BEEN TOLD NEVER TO TALK DOWN TO EMPLOYEES. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR AN OPPORTUNITY TO SEE GROCERY SHELVES AND SEE OLDER PEOPLE TAKEN BY THE CRAZY HIGH PRICES, LOOK NO FURTHER YOU HAVE FOUND YOUR NEW WORK PLACE.

Cons

WHAT AN OPPORTUNITY TO SEE HOW THIS COMPANY PUSHES THEIR AGENDAS ON THEIR EMPLOYEES. EMPLOYEES ARE BROW BEATEN INTO GIVING TO UNITED WAY AND ANY OTHER PET CHARATIES. LITTLE CHANCE FOR PROMOTION IF YOU ARE NOT RELATED TO HIGHER MANAGEMENT. THIS COMPANY HAS HAD SO MANY LAWSUITS FOR DISCRIMINATION AGAINST WOMEN. THEY HAVE PASSED OVER VERY QUALIFIED WOMEN FOR PROMOTION. THE ONLY STOCK THAT HAS MOVED IS THE STOCK THAT IS TO BE FOUND ON THE SHELVES. A COMPANY SAYING TO EMPLOYEES IS THAT THE ONLY EDUCATION YOU NEED IS A COMPANY EDUCATION. EMPLOYEES ARE USUALLY IGNORED AND UNIONS ARE DISCOURAGED.

Advice to Management

FOR SENIOR MANAGEMENT I CAN HARDLY WAIT TO SEE YOUR COMPANY AS WELL AS OFFICERS BROUGHT UP ON CHARGES OF SECURITIES FRAUD. YOU ARE SO LUCKY THAT A LOT OF THE EMPLOYEES AS NOT SO QUICK ON THE UPTAKE.

2. Amazing, clean and friendly store to shop! I would trade the corporate job for your store job any day of the week.

Current Employee - Clerk With A Degree in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Clerk With A Degree in Lakeland, FL

Pros

Free hot lunch and the hours are good. I have compared the benefits with other companies and it seems to be ok but not the best.

Cons

There is no room for any kind of growth, recently it seems that you'd have to quit and hope to be hired back at a hire level.

Advice to Management

Quit filling departments up with entry level positions!

3. Publix - only a good place to work if you have good managers

Former Employee - Bagger in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Bagger in Orlando, FL

Pros

You can get Publix subs or chicken tenders every day if you so choose.

Cons

At my location, managers played favorites. They will schedule people 38 hours just to avoid providing full-time benefits (although, this isn't an uncommon practice at any non-career job in Florida). They would try to make you feel bad if you called out for any reason (including being sick). Management stands around and doesn't do anything unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary. They tend to be hypocrites in any number of areas. Lots of other stuff.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees. Give them benefits when they are working hard for you. Don't play favorites and don't punish employees without even knowing a full situation.

this is the worst job i've ever had in my life

Former Employee - Clerk in North Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Clerk in North Fort Myers, FL

Pros

benefits, bonuses, some coworkers are friendly, customers are mostly nice

Cons

only care about full time employess while working part time employees just as hard or harder, with only a promise of full time in the future. too busy to talk to you about your concerns, and when they do, they only tell you lies

Advice to Management

tell the truth. consider employees as human beings not robots

What you can expect from working at Publix.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brandon, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brandon, FL

Pros

The store is clean and caters to individuals who generally earn more than the national average. The atmosphere is customer friendly and employees can feel safe.

Cons

Approximately half of the workforce are part-time employees and their wages are slightly better than minimum wage. Families rely on government subsidation such as food stamps and medicaid to exist. There is no union therefore employee pay raises and benefits are never negotiated. Work schedules are never consistent and are often completed the day before the following week begins.

Advice to Management

As an employee of Publix without union representation management does need to address any employee concerns.

7. Publix

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brunswick, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brunswick, GA

Pros

If you could ever get to management the pay is decent.

Cons

No respect from management, even to assistant managers. Deceptive about how long it takes to get to management.

Advice to Management

Give some respect to your associates. They will work harder if you do.

After 4 years of being employeed I still cant go full time

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Nashville, TN

Pros

Good pay,flexible hours, school tuition reimbursement

Cons

Extra restrict on attandance , dress code policies. If your shift starts at 10 and you clock in at 10:03 your cinsidered late. The store managers don't care about employees at all. All they care about is to look good in front of CEO and their supervisors . Absolutley no consideration when it comes to one's personal life. They dont care if your sick all they care is if you are going to make it for your next shift and if you know anybody who can cover your shift. You get no praise when you go over the line to do something THEY are suppose to do.They can't even provide you with hours and you are expected to show up whenever they call you to go to work even if it's your day off and when you don't you are considered "not flexible" . And if you dare to let them know about how you feel you are named "rude" and you have "attitude" problems. I am absolutley done with publix and I tell you make sure you get to know your store manager as well because if you are a tech that means you have to deal with TWO managers and not just one compared to other people.

Advice to Management

listen to your employees and be nice to them ,without them and their hard work your store will never get anywhere and so you wont make big fat bonus checks

9. "A Great Place to Work :D"

Current Employee - Cashier in Murfreesboro, TN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Murfreesboro, TN

Pros

You get to smile a lot. Stock. You can chit chat and still get paid.

Cons

The boss agrees with customers over employees because "the customer is always right". The employees will treat the customers with high value like queens and kings, but each other with hate and betrayal (two-faced) Customers abuse the nice policy and act like babies and cry to management about how they are not worshiped in every step of the store from entry to exit.

Advice to Management

Before trusting a customers word over a valued employee, view video tapes before making assumptions. That is what they are there for. Don't expect your employees to be so fake, sometimes they might "roll eyes" because they have stress. Not everything employees do is directed to the complaining customers that make mountains out of mole hills.

Started out great. Ended horribly

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Loganville, GA
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Loganville, GA

Pros

The benefits later offered are what kept me working with this store as long as I did. The insurance is great. The customers became friends and people I looked forward to seeing. I worked in this store for a long time and the manager who hired me was great and down to earth and shared the same beliefs as George Jenkins. This manager acted equal to other associates.

Cons

It's very hard to get full time now. No matter how hard you work. We had no store manager for 2 months. When the new manager came in she was so very different and has different policies. She failed to tell everyone how she likes things done and what she doesn't tolerate. Because of this many people were breaking rules and had no idea. After the new manager worked with us about a month she fired 4 people. We were taught that our fellow employees are customers too by our former manager. So they are allowed to sample things just like the customers. The new manager doesn't agree with this and fired people who had given employees a sample of something as well as any associates that accepted the food. Some people were fired because after the store closed they'd eat a piece of chicken or something that was about to go in the trash. Intolerant of waste? The rule we were taught was 3 write ups and then you get fired. Had she written the associates up the problem would have been solved. She didn't have to fire them. Some of them had been working in this store years and worked very hard. This has made it hard on the department. New employees don't get a dollar extra an hour for working on Sundays, the benefits have changed and the raises are now less. The employees that were fired were wonderful. They developed friendships and connections with their customers. Now these people are going to go into the store and not know anyone. They'll have to retrain a whole new line of employees on their needs, their likes and dislikes.

Advice to Management

I think managers need lengthier training. I think they've forgotten why Publix was supposed to be so great. All of the old managers understood what George Jenkins' vision was. Four managers and assistant managers were transferred in one month, great managers. The 4 new managers and assistant managers that were brought in are so different. They acted above everyone and treated us like dirt.

11. Needs Improvement

Current Employee - Deli Associate in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Deli Associate in Tampa, FL

Pros

good benefits for full time associates, flexible scheduling, requested vacation time promptness, good training, active team work, good co workers.

Cons

No benefits for part time associates unless you work 1500 hours which means you would have to work 35 hours a week to make and since you don't get priorety over hours, it never happens. Full time associates are owned if you are rude to customers and lazy, you'll get a raise. Customers are extra whiny to managers all the time. It gets annoying

Advice to Management

Stop thinking about you and take under consideation that unlike you, your associates do have other lives and that work doesn't revolve around it. We do have emergencies and we do get sick. It would be nice to not have the phone hung up on when you called in sick 2 hours before your scheduled shift. and it would be nice to not have your Store manager call you a liar because you told him you couldn't get to work one day.

Showing 2,087 of 2,097 reviews