Publix Reviews

3.7
1,260 Reviews

Publix CEO and Director Ed Crenshaw
Ed Crenshaw

Pros
  • Great benefits; amazing 401k options; willing to work with a college student's schedule (in 98 reviews)

• Good benefits and pay is raised at a decent amount throughout your career there (in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • I'm pretty sure this is illegal if I am not converted to a full-time employee but make (in 129 reviews)

• People who can only work part time only get to work ONE DAY per week at times (in 72 reviews)

More Highlights

A greedy company!

Current Employee - Front Service Clerk in Marco Island, FL
    Current Employee - Front Service Clerk in Marco Island, FL

I have been working at Publix part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Its a job! Thats it! If there were more opportunitys out there I would be gone!

Cons

Bad pay! Not enough hrs for part timers! Management is clueless on how to give respect to employees. Our prices are way to high. Go to walmart!!

Store 275 on marco island..get rid of Eric and Mike and get some team leaders who really know what they are doing!! Most employees hate them and we also hear the customers cannot stand either one of them. thank god for alvero and hugh!

This company sucks!

Former Employee - Cashier in Douglasville, GA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Douglasville, GA

I worked at Publix part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits. Retirement. Food. The customers.

Cons

Favoritism & racism! Management is very one sided. They sent me a letter in th mail saying I resigned when all in all they neglected to put me on the schedule for 30 days

Change everything about store 1138. The management is terrible which is making people stop shopping there. Many customers have told me they would not be back bc of management.

Not what it appears George Jenkins is rolling in his grave for certain

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Orange, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Orange, FL

I have been working at Publix part-time

Pros

none unless you are management who make bigs bucks, ride on the backs of employees making bonus checks, stocks, etc.

Cons

everything unless you are management who make the big bucks, stocks, quarterly bonus PLUS and all kinds of other money, bonuses etc, 6 figure salary and can treat employees with as much disrespect, harassment and unappreciation as they choose and nothing happens to them, only the employees suffer no matter how great of an employee you are, does not matter how hard you work, , some managers and assistant managers ruin Publix and peoples jobs. Publix Employees are supposed to be OWNERS of the company not employees, but that is not so either. The whole of Publix is a bunch of brainwashing nonsense of which they will defend the mistakes and wrong doings of themselves, the managers, to cover themselves. Disgrace!

get rid of those in leadership positions that abuse their positions with their destructive negative actions toward employees especially those of us who go ABOVE and BEYOND our job descriptions, to do an excellent job as witnesses by customers, customer letters, work, success we make daily, and then still treated like garbage by some unstable assistant manager who then pulls in other management to keep up the harassmsnt , an assistant manager who has for YEARS had complaints against him but yet nothing is done to rid any store of him and employees suffer in silence not because they did not speak up but because no one cares and to keep a job must keep their mouths sut of suffer worse treatment as I have for speaking up.

Use lies to coerce you into letting them screw you

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Publix (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay, decent benefits that's all

Cons

If you're not management & you're not sucking up or sleeping with your managers you are nothing no matter how hard you work. You get blamed for everyone else's failures. You get to stay late & fix their mistakes. If your part time they can give you 2 days while giving others 60 hours but claim they don't have the hours to give. If you don't/can't change your schedule last minute for them, even if you work another job, you better be ready to deal with retaliation. They will stop at NOTHING to show you they will always have the upper hand including falsifying information. Saying you're sending threatening texts yet unable to provide those texts even though you have every text saved in your phone. They wont even look at those texts. Team leads will do whatever to move up even though they go around calling their store manager a fat bleep and talk about their assistant manager being gay with an associate. Dress code only applies to certain people. If you're not white you don't have to abide by the dress code. Assistant store managers hit on female associates & they can't speak up because the DM & store manager will only make up lies to protect them. Yeah, really wonderful place to work for. If you go above them they only bring it back to the store so you have no anonymity. They can't be adults & schedule meetings so you can be prepared for it but instead pounce when you least expect it. Welcome to Publix!

Upper management needs to clean house. Teach their teams how to properly handle situations. Don't lie. Lying is disgusting and customers won't do business with a company who lies.

Horrible experience

I worked at Publix

Pros

I helped open the new store in florence so the store was very clean. Customers were extremely friendly.

Cons

Management was very rude. I attend college therefore I wanted to be home at a decent time and I would be scheduled to get off at 10pm and wouldnt be able to leave until 2am due to cleaning. There were times were they would say the strip underneath the cashier belt wasnt "shiney enough" and they told me to get on my hands and knees and wash it and put oil on it. And when that made my pants dirty they told me to clock out and go home ans change my pants. After I gave them my 2 week notice after the constant abuse they made sure I was miserable for my last two weeks. They scheduled me to do bathrooms for 4 hours every day.

Learn to give respect in order to recieve it

Horrible experience working at the store level PLEASE READ BEFORE APPLYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Venice, FL
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Venice, FL

I worked at Publix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only thing they have going for them is their stock purchasing options/ health care options for younger people.
    Long hours and little pay, (but great stock options!!!!)

Cons

I started off part-time making $9 an hour as a produce clerk with a bachelors degree in business admin. I worked 8-10 weeks straight of 35 hours + and I'm pretty sure they broke some labor laws. I eventually earned my way to full time roughly six months after starting there. (It takes a lot of people several years to earn full time). I held my full-time position for about 5 months until I decided I wanted to pursue my Masters degree. The store manager and produce managers told me school was a waste of time and you should work here because we make so much money (They have been working there over 10 years and that doesn't guarantee you anything.) I worked with a great guy in produce and he was going for management. He passed the tests several times and was denied because of politics. The managers talked about him behind his back and said he was stupid and never going to make it and then they would praise him with all the good work he does. Big stick and little carrot they dangle over you everyday!!!! An assistant produce manager makes only $38,000 a year and it will take you about 2 or 3 years from the time you start until you may or may not be selected for this position. I also hurt myself on the job and the store manager accused me of lying because he said, "I did not like my 3 A.M. shifts." I was the only one in charge of breaking down the trucks with 10-12 pallets by myself for almost two months straight at 3 A.M. They do not schedule enough people nor do they give you adequate support. They work you long hours with heavy lifting and pay you little money. Managers do not care about you and they will work you like a horse to get what they want. There are no values in the store level that they talk about in orientation. The mission statement is bogus and I want everyone to read it and think about it when they use the word "World" They cannot be the best in the world if they don't compete globally.

The store managers are highly uneducated and do not have LEADERSHIP traits. I have made suggestions to people in Lakeland but they shoot you down because you are a nobody.

If George was alive he'd probably reform it all over again.

Former Employee - Dairy Clerk in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Dairy Clerk in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Publix part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good job for part time kids who are in school.

Cons

If you are looking for full time and you are not an experienced Dept manager don't get you hopes up and don't believe any promises that are made that if you do this or that it will lead to full time. And if you find yourself scheduled for only one day in august don't be surprised. This company does not value its employees and has no regard for their families..

Get back to what George Jenklins valued. His reforming philosophy was that Publix's employees were it's greatest asset. Publix is the quintessential example of the rise and fall of a great American retail organizations. It is only a matter of time until it's disregard for it's employees catches up with them. For now they are only living off their reputation. It is the only place I have ever worked where coming to work on time every day and giving 110% did not get me ahead. It is the rudest place I have ever worked.

In a word: Horrid. Dungeon-like hours for, at best, mediocre pay.

Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at Publix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stock is (amazingly, despite the entire company's best efforts to drag it down) doing quite well.

Cons

Moving the huge bureaucratic ship of state. Scary, ultra-religious-fanatic right wing tea party upper management. An IT department that is overly cautions (probably rightfully so since the Target data breach et. al, but really just incompetent when it comes to the simplest of tasks).

If you are truly committed to the "dignity" of each associate, then you should actually pay your associates what they are worth in the marketplace.

One word describes my Publix experience: unprofessional.

Former Employee - Part Time Cashier in Taylors, SC
    Former Employee - Part Time Cashier in Taylors, SC

I worked at Publix part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Publix is OK if you are desperate for a filler job, but I would never consider it a long-term job or a career.

Cons

Publix lost my "background check" twice. Which means they lost my SS#, birth date, and a full credit check. When I brought it up with the management they didn't understand what the problem was. After a month of working there I had to quit because I couldn't work for a company that unprofessional. In addition to that the hours worked are all over the place and if you have to take time off for your family they talk down to you and tell you that they wish you "wouldn't do this to them." The customers are allowed to act like children and walk all over the employees, and if you don't bend to their wishes (no matter how ridiculous) you get in trouble.

Leadership is borderline cruel and is only focused on the bottom line. For all of the talk about valuing employees they rarely follow through. Store morale is incredibly low, but the management think everything is great if they hit the target numbers. Publix is going downhill fast, and will continue to deteriorate unless drastic improvements are made.

No training and being yelled at

Current Employee - Front Service Clerk (Bagger) in Buford, GA
    Current Employee - Front Service Clerk (Bagger) in Buford, GA

I have been working at Publix part-time (less than an year)

Pros

good pay for a teenager

Cons

My first day on the job I was beiing trained by a fellow bagger. I was told, :It's not that hard", and shown how to bag one thing before he abandoned me. My training at Publix basically consisted of me messing up because I wasn't trained and the managers screamng at me in front of customers. When my first month meeting occurred (after only my first 2 weeks), I was looked down on because i want to become a nurse, not work at Publix forever. One week, i was told by one manager I was doing a wonderful job. The next week i was told that other employees were complaining about me. I was told this in front of a customer and it was very embarassing.When I work 4 hours, i am told I have to take an hour break! So, I only get paid for 3 hours. I turned in my notice today and no one cared! Whenever i called the hotline, I was told this was not their problem.