Publix

3.7
1,440 Reviews

Publix CEO and Director Ed Crenshaw
Ed Crenshaw

Pros
  • Great benefits; amazing 401k options; willing to work with a college student's schedule (in 102 reviews)

• Good benefits and pay is raised at a decent amount throughout your career there (in 79 reviews)

Cons
  • I'm pretty sure this is illegal if I am not converted to a full-time employee but make (in 135 reviews)

• People who can only work part time only get to work ONE DAY per week at times (in 79 reviews)

More Highlights

HATE.

I worked at Publix

Pros

Easy job and the company has a good reputation, so it looks good on a resume.

Cons

Sexist managers for the most part (I knew one manager that was an exception), favoritism, no value for employees.

Police your managers or use some discretion in hiring them.

Did not enjoy working here.

Former Employee - Part Time Cashier in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Part Time Cashier in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Publix part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some pros include competitive pay, stock options, benefits if full time. Working in a grocery store is a plus when you need items for the house and the deli makes good subs.

Cons

Layers and Layers of management. One of the worst bosses I've ever had (not the GM, he was fine). I've worked at other grocery chains and this one was, by far, the worse to work at in my experience. Not treated fairly or with respect. Always had to be working hard, which I don't mind at other jobs, but they would make me work several times harder than others who were buddy buddy with the manager. Can't have self expression such as a mohawk or even a beard! Way to corporate for my liking. Some people I worked with still work there, but it wasn't for me at all.

One of the worst jobs I've ever had.

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Spring Hill, FL
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Spring Hill, FL

I worked at Publix part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I can't say that there are any good reasons to work here.

Cons

Training was virtually non existent to the ways of this store. You were just thrown in and expected to be great. Though I came from another store with the training to do certain things, I was only scheduled for openings and closings where all I did was wait on customers. Sometimes with only 8 hours between the two shifts. Yeah, that's really great for work/life balance.
    You were timed at everything, so you basically ran your butt off from the time you got there to the time you left.The store I was in had some of the rudest customers and co-workers alike, not to mention some of the department managers and store manager. Promotions happened to those that knew certain people, not necessarily based on merit.
    Somehow I don't believe the founder of Publix treated his workers this way.
    Getting out was the best thing I ever did.

Giving an employee a 401k is not as important as treating them with respect and being reasonable as to how to do their jobs. Slavery was abolished long ago. Keep treating employees like you do and your overall rating will certainly reflect it.

bad management, lazy irresponsible,deceptive

Former Employee - Deli Associate in Port Charlotte, FL
    Former Employee - Deli Associate in Port Charlotte, FL

I worked at Publix

Pros

looks good to customers but its not

Cons

bad management, no training, changing your schedule constantly, schedule you till 11;pm then back at 6;00 am..no hours..driving 50 miles a day for a 4 hour shift.. no benefits for a year and only if you are full time..they wont give more than 29 hours per week...dont want anyone to have insurance...stay away from this company

open your eyes, do ssomething productive, stop lying to your associates

Not upfront about the complete picture

I have been working at Publix

Pros

They are very enthusiastic about their company...and expect you to be as well. They will work with you.

Cons

Cleaning (floors/bathrooms/everything) is expected of everyone regardless of position. This is not explained in the interview. Health coverage is offered to part time employees BUT only after one year of employment (1500) hours. Yes, they give you stock after one year but don't let the dollar signs blind you! Buying stock 4x a year is better if you can afford it. Interviews are seriously lacking in real information.

Thank your employees after the day is over! BTW. Training is overly repetitive. We get it!

Poor management

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk
    Former Employee - Grocery Clerk

I worked at Publix part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay, benefits were decent at first, offered dental but not good coverage, close to everything, good products, good sales

Cons

Insurance went down, dental coverage was limited & poor, management was selective as to who could get away with what, management allowed minorities to get away with more, some managers were sexist, schedules were made based on likes & dislikes, retaliation is quite common, human resources is useless, management jumps you like dogs attacking if you try to complain, management makes up lies & doesn't allow associates to prove their innocence, not all associates are held to dress code standards including wearing their hair down, wearing improper shoes, wearing other items not part of their uniform, & some associates can wear decorations for holidays while others are made to take them off, other associates are basically harassed for the slightest imperfection of their uniform, managesr talks about associates behind their backs, managers tells associates they can be management even though they don't mean it but doesn't help them fix the problems keeping them from advancing, members of management have obvious favorites & dislikes, also flirts with young girls in the store, as well as shares inappropriate information with associates, the associates who don't do their job aren't reprimanded for their screw ups so others have to fix their screw ups but then they're reprimanded for poor time management due to fixing other problems, managers micro manage too much costing too many man hours to be wasted, & the list goes on. I'm told most stores aren't like this but why couldn't this one be normal?

This isn't high school or a dating scene. Be managers not friends. Clean up shop. Get rid of the employees who can't appreciate a pay check. Stop hiring more people if you don't have the hours to give the people you already have. Treat people how you want to be treated. Act morally. You represent Publix. If you lie, Publix is a liar. If you cheat, Publix is a cheat. Act like a representative. To higher ups, you're not the MOB so stop trying to scare employees into submission. To the human resources department, if someone is unable to fulfill their job requirements then it's time to step down. Too many associates are depending on your department to protect them. Don't pass on the job to the very people the issue is about. You know that isn't going to help one bit.

Very unprofessional

Former Employee - Customer Service Staff in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Staff in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Publix full-time (less than an year)

Pros

All of the assistant managers are great and should be promoted to manager. Speaking with customers.

Cons

Department managers are lazy and don't care(not assistant managers they seem to care for now). Departments are run poorly everyone is a boss trying to tell you what to do. The Publix work environment is lost with unprofessional younger people that work for the company, it is not a good work environment. Cursing and just acting like a child.Problems are not solved and just pushed off. Low pay and you only advance if you are a "YES" PERSON and have no opinion on how to improve operations.

Do not keep employees that are unprofessional to other coworkers. Do not keep employees that are sloppy and have no customer service skills. Better hands on training not just classes and computer which both are great but a actual hands on program that managers should follow does not exist. Store manager should be more involved with employees of all departments instead of just managers thus is why they get paid so much money. Your Pay Rated Determines Quality And Employee Quality Does Not Seem To Be A Strong point. Better organization in stores. Not let everyone in the store be a boss.

me

Former Employee - Not in Not, MO
    Former Employee - Not in Not, MO

I worked at Publix full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

none I don't have any

Cons

Leadership does not follow MR. George's

really look at your leadership

Racism/Discrimination But Good Benefits

Former Employee - I Worked In Customer Service, Bakery, and Produce in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Publix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are supreme. 401K that matches up to 3%, stock, healthcare, life insurance, retirement, bereavement included. There are some great people working there, I made friends for life. Flexible hours and willing to work with students. Anyone can become a manager and you can go far within the company. EX: Store Mngrs. make somewhere near 100k/yr. It's a Fortune 500 company and you automatically become a partial owner because of the great stock program they have.

Cons

I have been extremely discriminated against due to my disability and I know others that have experienced the same. I also know people who have experienced racism, sexism, and ageism within the company. No associate discount. You are always watched and monitored. Most of the managers are real jerks who think they are better than you, even though they all started off as associates like anyone else. Managers get paid less than half of what they make per hour IF they go overtime. Long hours, hard work. Never any positive feedback or comments from management, only negative. Customers can be very rude because they know they will get away with it! Management will never, ever take your side against a customer even if you are 100% right. Then again, it is a corporation! BEWARE! PROCEED WITH EXTREME CAUTION!

If you could just get rid of the managers who discriminate, there would be no complaints from anyone, ever. The policies and associate handbook needs to be updated a bit. Support your employees with positivity and stand behind them when they are right. They are your backbone and the face of the company. Remember, you started out just like everyone else so stop acting like you're superior.

Verbally abuse our employees at Publix and you walk out the door with free items!

I worked at Publix

Pros

Starting pay is a lot better than most comparable places.

The hours are flexible and they are willing to working with school and other job schedules.

Good benefits such as tuition reimbursement and stock.

Cons

Management picks favorites.
    You tend to see people undeserving of positions being promoted while people who have been in the company for years, and are very qualified and deserving, have not been offered any promotion even upon showing significant interest.

The stores allow the "Publix Promise" to be severally abused. Customers can act completely classless and belligerent and are almost guaranteed free items.
    This company is a huge pushover. Customers will literally come up with a completely ridiculous "error" (Claiming signs said the item was on sale when it was clearly marked for certain varieties only or a different product altogether, etc.) and management just lets it slide. That is why they always come back and do it again, because they know they can get away with it.

The system for getting full-time is ridiculous. They require you to crosstrain in multiple departments.
    A friend of mine who was trained in both Customer Service and Produce asked for full-time and was told by the store manager that she would need to train in a third department because she could be made FT.
    She was promised it would only be temporary and she could choose not to work in said department if she ended up not liking.
    After significant time in the new department, she was asked if she be moved back completed to Produce. Her request was denied by the SM, even after his assurance she would not be required to be in the department permanently. She is still stuck working in that department two days a week.

Another friend of mine had been working at the store for several years. He was promised full-time, and agreed to being cross trained in another department. As time progressed, he kept being persistent and asking, every time being reassured they were "working on it". He eventually got fed up with waiting and being lied to and transfered to a different store.

We had a very irresponsible and unprofessional Assistant Department Manager who was reported multiple times to both the SM and HR. No disciplinary action was ever taken against him, seemingly because his father has a lot of status in the company.

I feel as if corporate is never on the same page as the stores.
    The members of corporate who would come in regularly always had an "I'm better than you" attitude.

Many of the policies at this store are ridiculous and they are not willing to make any reasonable exception to said policies, unless you are a "favorite" of course.

My SM never wanted to hire anyone. We were always understaffed the whole time I worked there. As a result, there were always unrealistic expectations set and pissed off customers.
    Associates were expected to pick up the slack they truly should have been covered by more than one person.

Throughout my time at Publix, I constantly ran across scenarios that my training did not even begin to cover. I always had to figure everything out myself. I never felt that I was properly trained to carryout my job duties. Upon asking someone higher up, my questions were never answered.

My biggest issue with Publix is that their open door policy is a huge lie. Your opinion is not valued at all unless you hold a "significant" position within the company.

In all, I feel this company is not at all what it strives to look like from the outside.

Drop the superiority complexes.
    Realize that at some point, you started at the bottom just like your associates beneath you.