Publix

3.7 1,082 reviews

Publix CEO and Director Ed Crenshaw

Ed Crenshaw

1,082 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great benefits; amazing 401k options; willing to work with a college student's schedule"
    in 73 reviews
  • "Also the company has good benefits, even some of them for part time associates"
    in 62 reviews
Cons:
  • "I'm pretty sure this is illegal if I am not converted to a full-time employee but make"
    in 109 reviews
  • "People who can only work part time only get to work ONE DAY per week at times"
    in 63 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Work hard and get rewarded

Front Service Clerk (Former Employee)
    Miami, FL

Pros-flexible hours

-good benefits

-401k

-good credit union

Cons-incompetent managers

-harsh late policy

-rude customers

-long hours of standing

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some time to get to know your employees on a more personal level.

Awesome place.

Warehouse Lead (Current Employee)
    Lawrenceville, GA

ProsThe people are great. Plus the money is better!!

ConsSummer time;) it gets hot in the warehouse but the money!!!!!!!!

Still Deserves To Be On Forbes List

Customer Service (Current Employee)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

ProsSteady work, room for advancement, developing relationships with customers --and co-workers-- is encouraged. Great company culture.

ConsCan take a long time to move up or even get full time status. Low entry pay. Virtually no women/minorities in top level management.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo keep doing what they're doing. With a few tweaks, this company should stay in business at least another
    84 years. Consider a few perks - like reinstating merit vouchers that were recently replaced with 'gold coins'.
    Consider part-time managers for those who want the fast track; might make it easier for working moms to earn more. Have more diversity in top management.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun and rewarding, but the pay isn't quite enough at starting.

Front Service Clerk (Bagger) (Current Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsThe benefits and career opportunities.

ConsThe customers can be difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementSplit up PM clean among multiple employees.

The energy in my store is not always pleasant; however, that does not reflect the company itself.

ProsThe customers are usually very friendly and you will have great days at work! The pay is not bad but definitely be prepared to work.

ConsThere is a lot of work that goes into your position, which is far from being a bad thing! Thing is, the pay rate could be increased for the amount of work. The bonuses are a great incentive but the overall pay is lagging.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore organization for the frontend, more clearly defined roles.

Great Company

Customer Service Manager (Former Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsBetter pay than most retail positions in the market. Good benefits - health insurance, stock plan, retirement, etc.

ConsCompany has become very corporate after working for them many years. They lost much of the "family" feel they once had and everything is set by a policy now. Focus is less on the team members and more on policy and corporate feel.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should work harder to build relationships with team members. I understand policies are necessary but many are enforced as if employees are cattle rather than people. The politics involved in achieving upper management positions are also obnoxious. Managers are promoted for who they know rather than their skill set and job ability.

Good company, but it could be better

Programmer (Current Employee)
    Lakeland, FL

ProsPublix has a great employee stock ownership program. It is a very financially secure company that has a strong foundation. The buffet style cafeteria is nice because the food is essentially free. Within I/S, the atmosphere is very casual, jeans are permitted everyday and sneakers and t-shirts can be worn on fridays. Good work life balance.

ConsLocated in Lakeland, if you are young and single, the city doesn't exactly have much to offer. There can be a lot of bureaucracy involved with projects, and getting through all the paperwork usually gets pretty mundane. Technology is put second as Publix is not a technology company. Not too room for career growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementNow that Publix is expanded more in the southeast consider opening an office in Atlanta.

Great company

Meals Clerk (Current Employee)
    Coral Springs, FL

ProsBenefits are fantastic.Im a part time worker and I have dental and vision insurance.401k plan is decent.You earn free stock (about 7 to 10 percent of your earnings).

ConsManagers can get rude and nasty especially during a busy day at the store

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees with respect. Continue to provide premier customer service which contributes to publix's great reputation and success.

I miss working there!

Compensation Analyst (Former Employee)
    Lakeland, FL

ProsThis is only in regards to working at their corporate headquarters in Lakeland Florida:
    I loved working there and miss it dearly. It is a financially sound company so I had job security. I worked in a small sub-department within HR. It was like family. The company conducts semi annual evaluations and pay is based upon work performance. They have a clear and posted pay scale. I was valued as an employee. If I were to ever move back to that area I will want to work at corporate again, in any capacity.

ConsNo cons regarding their corporate office in Lakeland.
    (I did however move out of the area/state and to keep my benefits I took a job as a cashier at one of their stores and completely hated it. It was the worst job I've ever had. The store had incompetent management and morale was in the toilet.)

Advice to Senior ManagementNo cons for Publix corporate.

managers are two faceded

Customer Service (Current Employee)
    Calera, AL

Prosgreat place to work customers are pleasant and happy to see you again and again, babies look for you in your departments as well.

Consso managers think they are the only ones their working, they smile in your face and stab you in the back when they pass you

Advice to Senior Managementdo your title MANAGE

Worked for Publix? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Publix reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Publix CEO Ed Crenshaw. All 1,082 reviews posted anonymously by Publix employees.