www.publix.com

3.7
1,369 Reviews

Publix CEO and Director Ed Crenshaw
Ed Crenshaw

Pros
  • Great benefits; amazing 401k options; willing to work with a college student's schedule (in 102 reviews)

• Good benefits and pay is raised at a decent amount throughout your career there (in 79 reviews)

Cons
  • I'm pretty sure this is illegal if I am not converted to a full-time employee but make (in 135 reviews)

• People who can only work part time only get to work ONE DAY per week at times (in 79 reviews)

More Highlights

Publix it an ok place to work at

Current Employee - Stock Clerk Replenishment Spec in Miami Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Stock Clerk Replenishment Spec in Miami Beach, FL

I have been working at Publix part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Free stocks , flexible schedule, rise every 6 month

Cons

Take a long time to make you full time .hard to grow with the company

Good company for long term goals

Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Dacula, GA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Dacula, GA

I have been working at Publix

Pros

Benefits, time off, bonuses, cafeteria, vacation

Cons

Management, compensation, training, late policy, hours

LISTEN!!

It's a job!

Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Deerfield Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Deerfield Beach, FL

I have been working at Publix

Pros

Work at distribution warehouse, work is steady. The company offers 401k and ESOP plan. Paid vacation and sick time.

Cons

Supervisors and upper management are total idiots. There is so much favoritism among management and their select few chosen associates. Supervisors should be fired none are competent enough to run place by themselves. They don't care about associates and depending on what department you are in even though it lists as full time ends up being part time . There is another thing as well the harder you work the more you are abused and expected from. all while if your lazy you get whatever you want all the way to the top your rewarded for it!!!

Quit or attend some training and coaching on how to treat employees. When you blatantly show favoritism openly among all associates it doesn't look good.

Its a good high school job

Current Employee - Front Service Clerk (Bagger)
    Current Employee - Front Service Clerk (Bagger)

I have been working at Publix

Pros

-Being a part time employee they are really accommodating with your schedule if you need to trade shifts or get time off
    -Starting pay for baggers and cashiers is $8.00 which is $.75 more than GA minimum wage
    -If you move near another Publix you are almost certainly going to get a job at another Publix if you transfer
    -Some outstanding co workers a few I am good friends with now

Cons

-No employee discount. Most of the benefits are geared towards people making Publix a career, part timer benefits consists of a small inventory bonus every few months and a coupon for a free item (usually undesirable) from time to time
    -Obvious sexism at my store. Been working there for 13 months and haven't even gotten cashier training yet despite asking several times and being short handed on Cashiers lately. Girls are hired as cashiers, and cashiering is a requirement to advance in customer service. Since I have been there only two guys have gotten cashier training and were moved to another department shortly after. Instead of training the guys that have been there a while they just hire more girls to to cashier, therefore reducing everyone's hours.
    -Whenever managers are doing administrative work the Customer Service reps are running the front which is the majority of the time. Some are nice but some are really petty and treat teens like they are stupid. I'm not lazy but cannot stand 24/7 micromanagement by people with no real career skills. One of them in particular just stands around like he is an air traffic controller directing customers where to check out and baggers where to go bag instead of actually helping out.
    -If business is slow being somewhat idle is unacceptable, unless you are a manager or customer service rep of course. "Its 110 degrees outside and you just brought all the carts inside, well go check again anyways and look in between all the cars so I can look good in front of the managers. Meanwhile I will stand and talk with my co-workers. If you come back in and start conversing with your coworker friends I will find another unnecessary task for you to do, meanwhile I will stand here and continue doing nothing." The hypocrisy is ridiculous sometimes.
    -My store manager is a dbag. Tried to get one of our employees fired for wanting more than the company minimum bereavement time of when his mom unexpectedly passed because he was "lazy". Recently my best friend was back in town for a weekend and the only person that was able to take my shift that day would be able to come in 30 minutes after I was scheduled (early Monday morning when we have virtually no customers) but he would not allow that since those 30 minutes would go uncovered.
    -The butt kissers and the kids with parents in higher management at other stores get evaluation scores significantly higher than everyone else that works just as hard.

Make sure the customer service reps are actually working instead of just standing around micro managing. Publix has a reputation for hiring smarter and harder working employees than competitors so treat us accordingly.

You could do worse

Current Employee - Front Service Clerk and Cashier in Valdosta, GA
    Current Employee - Front Service Clerk and Cashier in Valdosta, GA

I have been working at Publix part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very flexible schedule; can set your own availability within certain parameters.
    Start above minimum wage (7.50) with opportunity for a raise every six months (25c), if you get good evaluations.
    Mostly happy, easygoing customers.

Cons

Good luck getting full-time.
    Micromanagement to the max, expect to be observed and scrutinized 24/7.
    Expected to close (11pm) at least once a week, usually weekends.
    Lack of quality training.

If you would train your workers properly and allow them to work autonomously you wouldn't have to constantly micro-manage.

Many years put in with nothing to show

Current Employee - Bakery Clerk
    Current Employee - Bakery Clerk

I have been working at Publix

Pros

You can form good relationships with coworkers. Many people that work here even wind up getting married. They are good with your schedule of you can only work certain days or hours. If your part time you can ask for time off and get it basically whenever you want. They give you free stock and bonuses, but you have to work at least 1,000 hours a year to get anything.

Cons

The pay is horrible and even if you have been there for years they will hire people making maybe a dollar less than you. They try and fix your scores on your evaluations so that you can only get a small raise or no raise at all. Your manager won't stick up for you when a situation like above arises because they don't want to get in trouble from the store manager, even if they tell you they don't agree with it. Unless you are a manager the pay is pretty bad. If your full time its a little better but then they basically own you.

Stick up for your employees and pay them better. There is so much expected out of the employees, and to get treated the way we do at times, it doesn't make publix "a great place to work"

Management Sucks

Current Employee - Customer Service Team Member in Beaufort, SC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Team Member in Beaufort, SC

I have been working at Publix part-time (more than an year)

Pros

the pay and the job is great but i is very hard to risein th company unless you have a manager that is willing to help you out, am in the customer service department at store #1463 and my managers just stand in front and do nothing allday

Cons

it is hard to rise īn company you, have to b there for a while and hn your pay doesnt realy ho up by that much unless you promote to a manager posution and that might take a while

stop being lazy and do some work i know all stores are not the same but store #1463 the only people that dont do work is the customer and the assistant customer service managers and they have reälly bad attituted to be working in retail and be a manager

work you to death

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Publix part-time (more than an year)

Pros

the benfits were awesome especailly the health

Cons

not caring at all and they would end up working you to the point of exhuastion

you need to do written offers when you offer full time to employees in an interview. I was told i would get full time after 3 months in the deli but it never happen after a year and half.

In the beginning it was amazing. Then you see how crummy the management is and how little they care about you

Current Employee - Customer Service Staff in Cape Coral, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Staff in Cape Coral, FL

I have been working at Publix part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good stock option and 401k. If you want to sell your soul and work to be a manager you can make good money.

Cons

You sell your soul to the devil.

Very friendly and professional

Current Employee - Cashier/Bagger in Dothan, AL
    Current Employee - Cashier/Bagger in Dothan, AL

I have been working at Publix part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Helps gain customer service and speech skills. The co-workers are professional and friendly, and more than willing to help out when a new hire comes along. The starting pay rates are great, and there are many benefits for both part time and full time employees. There are plenty of opportunities for advancement, raises, and learning new skills. You can even work in different departments, depending on what you decide, over time.

Cons

Customers can be rude, no discounts on company products.