Publix Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

3.6

Publix CEO and Director Ed Crenshaw
Ed Crenshaw

Pros
  • Great benefits; amazing 401k options; willing to work with a college student's schedule (in 78 reviews)

• Good benefits and pay is raised at a decent amount throughout your career there (in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • I'm pretty sure this is illegal if I am not converted to a full-time employee but make (in 115 reviews)

• People who can only work part time only get to work ONE DAY per week at times (in 64 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Starter Job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Publix

Pros

Great employee programs, Really flexible hours, Decent managers for the most part, Generally Friendly working conditions, Relatively predictable pay raises, Great co-workers.

Cons

Little pricey to eat lunch at the store everyday on a minimum wage (or close to it), Wage caps at a certain point based on job title, Depends a lot on if you get along with you department manager and overall store managers; if you don't transfer to another department or store quickly, Promotions and raises predictable but based on the perception of your work attitude of you boss so favoritism, gossip, and social standing with in your department co-workers means more than actual work, Don't work here if you do not thrive in a High School setting, Some managers will threaten to fire you when you make a mistake even if it did not cause damage to store, customer service or profit, Last but not least NO UNION you don't know how bad you need one till your getting the third degree and your head is on the chopping for making one of those premeditation mistakes.

Over all a decent job, To truly make your employees feel great give them a discount on either the most common items eaten on break or and overall discount (it could even be different for each department if you want to nick pick)

Needs Improvement

Current Employee - Deli Associate  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Deli Associate in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Publix

Pros

good benefits for full time associates, flexible scheduling, requested vacation time promptness, good training, active team work, good co workers.

Cons

No benefits for part time associates unless you work 1500 hours which means you would have to work 35 hours a week to make and since you don't get priorety over hours, it never happens.

Full time associates are owned
    if you are rude to customers and lazy, you'll get a raise.
    Customers are extra whiny to managers all the time. It gets annoying

Stop thinking about you and take under consideation that unlike you, your associates do have other lives and that work doesn't revolve around it. We do have emergencies and we do get sick. It would be nice to not have the phone hung up on when you called in sick 2 hours before your scheduled shift. and it would be nice to not have your Store manager call you a liar because you told him you couldn't get to work one day.

Unpredictable

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Albany, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, GA

I have been working at Publix

Pros

No layoffs for full-time employees, nice stock bonuses, good 401, majority of employees extremely nice and hard-working, good format for promotions, up to date with tools for customers, customers are loyal to store and to individual employees they can go to for assistance and advice, most managers are very willing to teach additional skills and co-workers are willing to help out if you are in a time crunch.

Cons

Slow down the growth, increase the technology in the stores, make store managers live in the community their store is located in. Our store has the majority of its management staff live more than fifty miles away.

Realize some managers are poison to store morale.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Publix is great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Publix

Pros

Good positive place to work, good standards

Cons

Corporate HR is out to get you! Michael Abrams is a very unproffesional and hurts Publix's reputation.

Get rid of Michael Abrams in HR, very bad person to "look up to"

Started out great. Ended horribly

Former Employee - Deli Clerk  in  Loganville, GA
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Loganville, GA

I worked at Publix

Pros

The benefits later offered are what kept me working with this store as long as I did.
    The insurance is great.
    The customers became friends and people I looked forward to seeing.

I worked in this store for a long time and the manager who hired me was great and down to earth and shared the same beliefs as George Jenkins. This manager acted equal to other associates.

Cons

It's very hard to get full time now. No matter how hard you work.

We had no store manager for 2 months.

When the new manager came in she was so very different and has different policies.
    She failed to tell everyone how she likes things done and what she doesn't tolerate.
    Because of this many people were breaking rules and had no idea.

After the new manager worked with us about a month she fired 4 people.
    We were taught that our fellow employees are customers too by our former manager.
    So they are allowed to sample things just like the customers.
    The new manager doesn't agree with this and fired people who had given employees a sample of something as well as any associates that accepted the food.
    Some people were fired because after the store closed they'd eat a piece of chicken or something that was about to go in the trash.
    Intolerant of waste?

The rule we were taught was 3 write ups and then you get fired.
    Had she written the associates up the problem would have been solved.
    She didn't have to fire them. Some of them had been working in this store years and worked very hard. This has made it hard on the department.

New employees don't get a dollar extra an hour for working on Sundays, the benefits have changed and the raises are now less.

The employees that were fired were wonderful.
    They developed friendships and connections with their customers.
    Now these people are going to go into the store and not know anyone.
    They'll have to retrain a whole new line of employees on their needs, their likes and dislikes.

I think managers need lengthier training.
    I think they've forgotten why Publix was supposed to be so great.
    All of the old managers understood what George Jenkins' vision was.
    Four managers and assistant managers were transferred in one month, great managers.
    The 4 new managers and assistant managers that were brought in are so different. They acted above everyone and treated us like dirt.

Looking ahead

Current Employee - Front Service Clerk  in  Orange Park, FL
    Current Employee - Front Service Clerk in Orange Park, FL

I have been working at Publix

Pros

People are nice. Some have even been very encouraging. The full time employees seem very dedicated. The customers are fun to be around (for the most part)

Cons

The biggest con is the way breaks are administered. There are no breaks, just unpaid lunch where I work. Another person can come in later and get an hour break for even less time. Breaks should be a little more standard, with the understanding that working around crowds will happen.

If you say you are hiring someone for mainly day. Use them mainly in the day. Offer standard breaks in addition to unpaid lunch.

Review of Publix experience

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Davie, FL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Davie, FL

I worked at Publix

Pros

flexible hours, bonuses at the end of year, opportunities to support local charities, comradory between staff, pleasant place to work

Cons

Managers play favorites sometimes, people always wanting to change schedules with you, make you walk the store and do other chores.

It would be nice. if they hired people full time. I don't know anyone who can survive off a part time job unless they are a high schooler

Good job, not enough pay

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Miami, FL

I worked at Publix

Pros

Opportunity to advance, get raises every 3 months, one application is good for all stores near you, many people in the company care about you, tuition reimbursement

Cons

Some managers are condescending, required to do things not in your job description, called in frequently on days you're not scheduled

Remember that you should treat your staff with respect, listen to what they need.

Good Place To Work

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Publix

Pros

Excellent place for high schoolers to work part time. Pretty laid back atmosphere and everyone is pretty nice. Decent pay, too.

Cons

Not the best pay but it's Publix so you really shouldn't be expecting to make tons of money. Really no complaints, though.

They need to get more involved with the lower level workers, because they get too wrapped up in the high level corporation stuff and tend to forget about the employees.

Great place to work. Work hard, be rewarded

Current Employee - Deli Associate  in  Stuart, FL
    Current Employee - Deli Associate in Stuart, FL

I have been working at Publix

Pros

It is a great place to work. The people are friendly, and everyone works hard. There are great opportunities for career growth.

Cons

None. Publix is a great place to work, and I cannot identify any cons.

None

Worked for Publix? Contribute to the Community!