Publix Reviews

3.7
1,280 Reviews

Publix CEO and Director Ed Crenshaw
Ed Crenshaw

Pros
  • Great benefits; amazing 401k options; willing to work with a college student's schedule (in 99 reviews)

• Good benefits and pay is raised at a decent amount throughout your career there (in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • I'm pretty sure this is illegal if I am not converted to a full-time employee but make (in 131 reviews)

• People who can only work part time only get to work ONE DAY per week at times (in 75 reviews)

More Highlights

Cashier/Customer Service-Huntsville, AL area

Former Employee - Cashier/Customer Service in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Cashier/Customer Service in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Publix part-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is the perfect job for a high school/college student or a retired person looking for something to do.

Cons

Someone with a family should not work here. They pay poverty level wages and it's impossible to sustain a family on the pay. Maybe if you live in the projects, it would work. Also too much micromanaging and bad treatment from the managers. Training is mediocre as well, but then the managers will complain if you don't know something. The assistant customer service manager was a bully and made for an uncomfortable work environment. For this to be a store in the south, the southern hospitality was non existent. The customers are treated very well but the employees were treated badly.

Cease with the micromanagement, PLEASE! If you want a successful team, you have to lead the way. It all starts from the top. Genuinely show you care and maybe well qualified people will stick with this place even though the pay sucks!

Good company, recruiter should be honest

Current Employee - Warehouse in Dacula, GA
    Current Employee - Warehouse in Dacula, GA

I have been working at Publix full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They provide free meals for each shift. Plenty of available positions and opportunities to move around. Raises are every 6 months until you cap out in your role. Employee credit union. Paid weekly

Cons

NO PERSONAL LIFE. Recruiter said "rotating schedule, 4 days on, 3 off, etc. It turned out to be more like working whenever demand is high, random off days based on OT. They provide schedules a month in advance, but sometimes it is subject to change. Prepare to work 3 out of 4 weekends. It makes it very difficult to sustain a healthy personal life outside of work.

Be upfront with people during the interview process. Offers could have been turned down because someone thought they would have a certain schedule only to figure out they were lied to. This is a complaint across the board but continues to be ignored.

Great place to work to receive decent benefits and excellent retirement, but you're just a number

Current Employee - Inventory Replenishment Specialist in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Inventory Replenishment Specialist in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Publix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent starting pay when you work at a distribution center. Schedules vary depending on position. Lowest paying job is $12 an hour. Highest entry level position (labor) can make $25 an hour at around 33 hours per week on average. Publix gives you a share of stock for free for every $273 you make in income. Topping out in pay can be done within a year and a half or sooner. Advancement into supervisor rolls can be near impossible depending on "who you know."

Cons

Time off during the holiday weeks are blacked out. Flexing your time out on a daily/weekly basis to keep under budget meaning they will expect you to work 10-12 hours/day early in your work week just to have you come in 5 hours later or leave 5 hours early at the end of your work week etc. They treat you like a number; they will fire you easily because they know there are plenty more knocking on the door to get hired. Part timers here also have a rotating schedule which does not allow them to get another part time job somewhere else. "Time of service" is extremely important to them.

Great Company

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Publix full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits,you meet new ppl eveyday

Cons

Managment dont care about there employess

When it busy help,learn to take responability

Mindless management but meaningful connections

Former Employee - Front Service Clerk in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Front Service Clerk in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Publix part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Connecting to customers is the best part of this company, and it is so focused on the company experience if you have a issue and need to get a resolution just say it is for the customer and they will figure it out. I love that. Part time employees do not get any of the amazing benefits that the full time employees do (which are awesome)

Cons

Good training for job, poor management typically, varied workloads, part-time culture feels disposable

Help bridge the gap between lower level management (Customer Service Staff, Team leaders, etc) and their teams. If the staff feel like that their doing is meaningless they end up only doing it half right. Communication to why things should be done a certain way is key!

Work anywhere but the deli

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Daytona Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Daytona Beach, FL

I have been working at Publix part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Health insurance if they allow you to get enough hours, access to 401k and stock after 3 years.

Cons

Constant changing schedules, Oasis doesnt work a lot of the times (oasis is the computer system that allows you to check schedule from home) Managers often change your schedule the day before and are supposed to inform you but often times do not. Publix tends to be a who you know type company, you dont always get noticed for hard work. The deli is busy and often short staffed. We are never praised, only told when we did something wrong. Also you are expected to put away trucks, work the kitchen (frying chicken, food prep) make platters and wait on customers pretty much simultaneously sometimes. Also it is hard to go from part time to full time. Ive been waiting 5 years, though my boss often tells me I am the hardest working/most helpful employee in my department. They also want a completely open availability which is hard to work another job or go to school. The biggest flaw I think is the lack of education and training most managers have. Some dont even have high school diplomas and can barely spell and are in charge of an entire department. They need more training in management and better people skills. Im not saying all of them because there are some wonderful managers but its very hard to respect a manager with the reading comprehension of a 5th grader.

Praise employees once in awhile. Appreciate hard working employees. Allow some overtime and dont cut part time employee hours so they cannot receive health insurance.

Awful

I have been working at Publix

Pros

Other associates are nice... Sometimes.

Cons

Management is awful. Customers treat you like dirt.

Be nice to the associates. Don't treat them like dirt and maybe they won't have a problem performing well for you.

Expectations too high, constantly understaffed

Current Employee - Full Time Stock Clerk in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Full Time Stock Clerk in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Publix full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are great, lots of experience gained.

Cons

Constant 15 hour shifts w/ no break, just to be cut at the end of the week with no OT.

Either pay overtime on long shifts or give more help to the workers.

One of the best supermarkets to work for.

Current Employee - Front Service Clerk in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Front Service Clerk in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Publix part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most of the customers and employees are very pleasant. There is a culture of clear communication (the open door policy), and a great emphasis on superior customer service.

Employee owned, only employees can buy Publix stock, and it is a good investment opportunity. Many people have earned a lot of money by doing so.

Cons

You'll have to wait a few years to get full-time, there is a long waiting list.

Physical and mentally exhausting work, even managers have to put in long hours during nights and weekends.

My current manager is very condescending. He follows me when I use the restroom, which is becoming borderline harassment. He plays political games with hours, I only get 0-5 hours when I changed my availability, compared to 15-20 hours before my current store manager moved to my store. Since my salary was raised to forty cents an hour, I get less hours than newer associates. This has happened to other associates I have talked to.

Don't punish older associates that earn more by giving them less hours, its counterproductive and offensive to the people loyal to Publix. Also, stop promoting abrasive people to senior positions.

Excellent company, bad experience

I worked at Publix

Pros

Publix is an excellent company to work . It has great benefits including health insurance,401k, ability to buy company stock which isn't available unless you work for the company, and competitive pay

Cons

Publix hires everyone as part time and you will always start at the bottom regardless if experience....... they allow overtime but in my experience if you are part time and work 60 hours a week when the district manager complains about overtime store management will fire you even though the overtime was authorized