Publix Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
3.6

Publix CEO and Director Ed Crenshaw
Ed Crenshaw

Pros
  • Great benefits; amazing 401k options; willing to work with a college student's schedule (in 78 reviews)

• Good benefits and pay is raised at a decent amount throughout your career there (in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • I'm pretty sure this is illegal if I am not converted to a full-time employee but make (in 115 reviews)

• People who can only work part time only get to work ONE DAY per week at times (in 64 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Job, Good Pay, Room to move

Current Employee - Deli Clerk  in  Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Publix

Pros

good place to work, and most of the people are tolerable to work with.

Cons

none so far, except maybe the people can get annoying. but when serving anybody that can happen.

Recognize who does the bulk of the work and reward them/

"A Great Place to Work :D"

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Murfreesboro, TN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Murfreesboro, TN

I have been working at Publix

Pros

You get to smile a lot.
    Stock.
    You can chit chat and still get paid.

Cons

The boss agrees with customers over employees because "the customer is always right".
    The employees will treat the customers with high value like queens and kings, but each other with hate and betrayal (two-faced)
    Customers abuse the nice policy and act like babies and cry to management about how they are not worshiped in every step of the store from entry to exit.

Before trusting a customers word over a valued employee, view video tapes before making assumptions. That is what they are there for. Don't expect your employees to be so fake, sometimes they might "roll eyes" because they have stress. Not everything employees do is directed to the complaining customers that make mountains out of mole hills.

It's barely a job.

Current Employee - Part Time Produce Clerk  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Part Time Produce Clerk in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Publix

Pros

The stores are clean and the customers are generally from middle class incomes and above.
    The front end (Customer Service) works hard at checking the customers out of the store.

Cons

Half of Publix workforce are part time employees with nominal wages, no vacation time, no sick time, no holiday pay or no quarterly inventory bonuses.
    Because of this structure, they can build a company where executives become exceedingly weathy.
    Pay raises for hourly employees are now limited to $0.15
    I have never cleared $300.00 in a week and have worked up to 35 hours.
    Schedules are always posted at the very end of the week so there is no consideration towards Publix employees who have a life outside of Publix.
    Publix is the kind of company that you need to start with right out of high school and hang in there until you can obtain full time status and then get into management and work there for 30 years.

Since Publix is built on the misery and dedication of it's part time workforce perhaps you can spend more time helping them fill out food stamp and medicaid forms with their state of residence
    Continue to patronize them by including a letter of appreciation along with a free coupon for a half gallon of ice cream or submarine sandwich with their paycheck..

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

"PUBLIX!! where working is a pleasure"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Publix

Pros

benefits- publix stock
    organized system for evaluations and raises
    flexible schedule
    customer attitude toward publix is positive
    easy to apply

Cons

The economy has changed publix
    $.15 raises for all associates because of the economy
    customers trying to get items free because of the publix guarantee

invest in the people who are on the front lines. Moral is going down because of the bad raises. Managers should listen more

Quality store with some problems..

Former Employee - Stock Clerk  in  Winter Park, FL
    Former Employee - Stock Clerk in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Publix

Pros

Good pay, opportunity to for advancement, good management, company has great reputation, great resume builder, good hours, one hour break

Cons

Bad management (at least at my store), inflexible hours (at least for a stock clerk)

Hire better managers, have a complete staff of employees, recognize quality work

Where shopping is a pleasure, but working is a pain

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hampton, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hampton, GA

I have been working at Publix

Pros

Great for highschool students or retirees

Cons

Heavy work load and starts out with minimum wage
    Management team is afraid to make changes
    No balance between work and life
    Minimum ablitiy to move up
    Raises are ten cents at the most
    Work up to nine hours with no break because of scheduling

Start over!

Good company to work for...if you work in the corporate offices.

Former Employee - Accounting  in  Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Accounting in Lakeland, FL

I worked at Publix

Pros

Great raises, good opportunity for promotion if you show them that you are passionate about your job. Good benefits for the most part. The free lunches in the cafeteria were a plus. A yearly Christmas bonus is also a nice perk.

Cons

Health insurance wasn't the best. You get no vacation within the first year of employment (although you do get 2 weeks of unpaid time off that you can use that won't be used against you. This only applies in accounting though.)
    I worked in the store for about a month and the store atmosphere is much different than the corporate atmosphere. You will not feel appreciated while working in the store. Some of the management in the stores act very unprofessional but then again I am used to a corporate environment where most people act professional.

Store management should act more professional. The management that I dealt with in corporate was good. Keep up the good work corporate management!

Oh So Easy

Former Employee - Product Specialist  in  Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Product Specialist in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Publix

Pros

Their benefits are second to none as far as supermarket work goes. The advancement is easy for those who put in their time.

Cons

This job requires a lot of heavy lifting. Sometimes there is less than adequate staffing to assist customers with questions and stock the shelves.

Hire some more help to be purely product specialists and allow the stocking staff to have minimum contact with the customer so as to keep performing their job.

A good part time job

Former Employee - Front End Service  in  Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Front End Service in Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at Publix

Pros

Decent pay
    Easy to choose which hours you want to work
    Job security
    If you make it clear that you wish to be promoted management looks into where you might fit better

Cons

None of the jobs are challenging in the least
    Good work or extra effort goes unnoticed with so many employees doing easy work
    The company isn't publicly traded
    Management is constantly churned

In my relatively short time with Publix, I had three different new managers. Something should be done to hold on to managers better. On a different note, I wish the company would go public and update its business model. They lose a lot of money on "feel-good" business practices.

Great for students, rough for managers

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Publix

Pros

Flexible Hours, good benefits, provided you work 1500 hours per year minimum. credit union, stable employment are the main points. Also the ability to transfer to a store closer to your house or school, etc.. Ability to purchase private stock in company. Publix has a very good open door policy, to talk with management.

Cons

This is recent: very tight on hours, as a part time employee, my hours are down. More expected multi-tasking, which is getting away from customer service. Managers are really overtaxed working minimum 50 hr week, + overtime if another manager is on vacation, plan for a 60 hr week!

More employees are needed at the store level, specifically for customer service. I actually talked with in person the CEO Mr Crenshaw, He really appreciates hard work and does in store visits on a regular basis.

Worked for Publix? Contribute to the Community!