Pubmatic

Updated January 22, 2015
Updated January 22, 2015
2.4

Rajeev Goel

Pros
  • I honestly can't think of many positives other than the sprinkling of good people that can be found and usually stick together (in 6 reviews)

• It was a good place to initially learn stuff and meet people, Excellent timings and flexible work environment (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much of a work/life balance unless you have small accounts (in 5 reviews)

• It is pretty much a revolving door - where engineering and product leaders are hired and fired (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Culture is what you make it

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I am surrounded by some of the smartest minds I've ever had the pleasure of working with and I've learned an immense amount in a short period of time. Everyone is always happy to help, train, mentor and invest in an employee's growth if you seek them out. I believe that the leadership has a strong vision and I like what the company is trying to do. I do see a lot of office politics and toxicity but culture is what you make it. You can choose to see the bigger picture and enjoy what you do and the people around you or you can allow yourself to be bogged down by what we don't have.

Cons

Information seems to get lost somewhere along the chain of command. We keep building processes upon processes but don't often follow through to completion. It's not always clear who owns what or whom to turn to when something isn't working. We're shortsighted in our approach to the market and the products we focus on building for our various clients. Work-life balance is becoming increasingly an issue. PubMatic demands a lot of my time and as a working parent, it's not easy for me to travel and be away from my family as often as this company requires.

A place to be driven

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

PubMatic is positioned on the positive side of an industry that is changing rapidly and the pace of the company reflects that. Everything is very quick paced, which you need to be prepared for, but if you like that environment than there is an abundance of opportunities to learn and influence a changing market. You are exposed to many sides of the industry and people are open and willing to collaborate. If you want to learn, you have the ability to in the fullest.

Investments are in the right place and leadership has acknowledged culture gaps and actually moved to change and improve which shows investment in employees and maturity overall. People are excited to work at PubMatic and passionate about their jobs.

Cons

Burn out is high, executive leadership needs to show better understanding of what teams are contributing and provide tools/acknowledgment to those who are performing and in need.

Lack of structure/support for marketing leads to lack of clear outward communication and materials for GTM teams

Invest in your employee tools
    The growth/investment of the product marketing/product team should reflect the abundance of product requirements and enhancements needed to stay on top in the industry
    Continue to improve internal culture

We've come a long way... stop the cribbing!

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time

Pros

Constantly evolving company; lots of new stuff to learn with each passing quarter; we are not a struggling start-up anymore and our financials are way better than the others in the business; good people to work with; For those who joined in the last 2 years, you have no idea how much more challenging it is to be a company still trying to make a mark in the market; warts, moles and all, we still rock and can hold up against the juggernauts in the business today!

Cons

You do not get to rank 31 on the Tech Fast 500 without breaking a few things along the way. Work-Life balance is challenging - especially with global teams; Personal growth has to be sought - not handed out anymore; the more we continue to grow faster the larger and more dispersed teams will get. We have not necessarily done well in managing that growth. Bad hires are another problem. Pay could be better; Facilities are not on par with the top companies in the Bay area.

Care more about hiring the best and brightest - we have picked up a lot of "complainers" and not enough of the "doers". Change is upon us again and like every wave we have to rise above this one as well. Our product line-up is constantly being challenged, our strategy is questioned and strong views abound about the direction we should take - allow for these emotions to be expressed and drive those energies into constructive effort. Eradicate the politics.

Friendly environment, good place to learn about the industry

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have the benefit of working with an amazing manager at this company that wants to help me grow and learn and not be stagnant in my career. Every manager is open and friendly, even the CEO is easy to talk to. This is definitely a fast paced environment which makes the work day go by fast. I am never bored or too under worked, which is what I prefer. My department is very close and we all get along really well. They are all very helpful and we work well as a team.

Cons

We have discretionary time off as a policy and while this works in most situations it isn't a good policy to have while you are on maternity leave. Buddy system is a system when you first start and you are assigned a "buddy" to take you to lunch. This is more of a forced attempt to get people from different departments to interact. Doesn't really work in my opinion.

Recognize departments outside of the sales side of the business. Usually they are working a lot more hours with little recognition.

Toxic Leadership and sky high attrition should be a warning to all.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Pubmatic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company has a great products and solid founders that make it a great place to learn and grow with the digital ad space. Decent catered food 2x a week, open office, pre--ipo company.

Cons

The company does not treat employees right. Upper management is struggling to work together. The product team has no clear leadership. The attrition rate is sky high 30+ %. Try to find someone that has been working there longer than a year that is not looking to leave. The human resources leadership is horrible and can not be trusted. Do not work here unless you are looking for pain.

Get HR leadership that has the polish to take the company to the next level. Try to at least pretend like you care about employee growth and retention.

Do not work here

I worked at Pubmatic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Introduction to the industry if you need one.

Cons

Was not impressed while working here, everyone else is correct, bad office politics, a few chosen few do well, everyone else is left with low salary and little in bonus. I had many poor experiences, but just FYI if you do leave, expect HR/Finance to "lose" your stock options paperwork and not get back to you even when you hound them. Literally I could not recommend a company less from start to finish.

Everyone in the industry already knows this company is poorly run, including PubMatic management, so I guess it's unimportant to Rajeev and co.

An enterprise focused company running too fast to care for its employees.

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time

Pros

This is global company with lots of people traveling around world offices bringing energy. Working hours are casual with lots of external events to attend.

Cons

Management team is scattered and apparently working on personal, rather than company priorities. Some "corporate" wanna-be culture and attitude with startup pressure.
    Looking an "enterprise-level-comnpany" is always in front of company culture and values.
    Engineering is very India-centric and US teams are forced to long hours, difficult communication and unneeded stress to cope with peers in India.
    Beware of internal political games.

Careers here are a facade

Current Employee - Account Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are doing their best with what they have and you all sort of have this bond of being in it together - the awful circumstances you're in that is.

Employees actually like CEO and President, and people want them around. More accessibility to these leaders may be able to keep employees.

Cons

PubMatic in a nutshell – if it weren’t for the clever recruiters that structure interviews to represent the positive aspects, no one would ever accept an offer! I heard the recruiters are leaving though!

Pay is well below market value and as I discovered through conversations with my peers, we were convinced to take lateral moves in compensation. And there is a lot of difficulty for sales to even meet targets.

Once you join, you realize the dire circumstances of your situation but you HOPE that you haven’t made that bad of a decision and try to stick it out. But you have, and you did and it’d be wise to get out quickly once you realize this. It doesn’t and it won’t get better.

Management encourages abrasive communication style among the company, where everyone is stressed out and worried about embarrassment and beratement.

Mid-management all possess poor planning skills. There is no effort to plan ahead. As a result, teams jump from emergency to emergency, and your own life is put on hold to handle situations. Directors and above can't ever seem to get a handle on what needs to be done, and our teams inevitably suffer.

Without planning or strategy, how are employees expected to know what is next, when management doesn't do a good job of providing the context to make sure we can be successful? PubMatic’s forte is setting employees up to fail.

Lack of decision-making is rampant here. The worst managers and senior leadership collect all the intel and still can't or don’t make decisions. The ramifications go beyond just whether a decision is good or bad for a customer. It doesn't promote trust, which is essentially why there is turnover once bonuses are paid out. Can’t trust that employees will be looked after when it comes to commissions, raises or promotions.

Company philosophy from the top down is to take credit for the good and pass blame for the bad. There is absolutely no confidence or trust that PubMatic’s leadership will support you and your career.

Arrogance, uncaring, and uses fear tactics. Some of the leaders get away with a lot because employees believe she or he cares about them but the reality is that your well being isn't high on the priority list. This is definitely the case when attempting to speak with HR about your concerns and / or career goals. And because this starts at the top, all the managers lack leadership skills and are intimidated themselves and unsure how to get results without veiled or obsure threats of you losing your job.

CEO would do well to clean house and delve into more of the details. I heard in the past he used to be a micromanager but that things got done - maybe going back to that style of management of his direct staff would improve the layers below in the organization.

False sense of security and shady management

Current Employee - Anonymous in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Few good people (not in management)
    - lunches on Mon and Thurs and snacks

Cons

Everything especially the management
    - they will tell you about flexibility and okay to work from home. NOT the case! This is just a way to get you in. I have seen many people leave the company in matter of days to a month. It was voluntary. That tells you how the company is. The culture is backwards...old timers who don't want to move forward with technology and extreme favortism shown.

CEO should consider cleaning house

Bad culture, not a good place to work at all.

I have been working at Pubmatic

Pros

1. The company is in a very hot space. It's growing fast as the industry is growing, but is no longer the dominant player in the space it was once a pioneer of.
    2. You can get acquainted with the ad tech space quickly

Cons

1. Lots of attrition at all levels. The last 2 months have seen 4 VP departures. Several others have been fired or have left. Low average tenure.
    2. Don't care about employees at all - this results in A players leaving who they they are unable to retain. The C players usually get fired or resort to politics to stay employed. This has resulted in a build up of B players and C players who are fighting to stay afloat.
    3. Very high level of chaos and distrust. A lot of people make decisions with the aim of not getting fired rather than doing what is best for the company. Some resort to finger pointing which is distracting and unproductive
    4. A lot of office politics at all levels. The culture is negative throughout. Most people seem stressed.

1. Employees make a company successful... you are as responsible for their success as they are for yours. Build a strong team of A players, help them succeed and retain them. At the same time continue focus on the development of the other employees.
    2. Fix the culture, this is broken from the top-down. Remove fear. Inspire trust.
    3. Encourage the product and engineering team to take risks. They are risk-averse due to the fear of getting fired... that kills innovation

Pubmatic Photos