Pubmatic Reviews

Updated September 19, 2014
Updated September 19, 2014

Rajeev Goel

Period of great growth and strong future potential!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company has a very good culture, looking to build strong teams and everyone is very friendly and nice. Many new people in the company makes it an exciting place to be as well as a thieving environment where we can work together in a collaborative team environment. Perks are good.have individual freedom to work as well.

Cons

Office is still growing in space to include more people.

Continue the good work and keep focusing on the current strategy which will enable this company to reach great heights.

Completing a period of transition and positioned for strong growth

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is at the forefront of the programmatic segment and recently rated as #1 by Forrester in its category. It's no longer a startup and has gone through the awkward transition to a more mature company in the last two years, with a lot of the weaker team members moving on to create a much stronger business. The executive team have a clear vision on where the company is going and a focus on getting there. Salary and benefits are competitive.

Cons

The usual downsides of a high-growth company: aggressive hiring, ambitious objectives and probably trying to do too much. If you're not interested in a high-growth environment, this is not the place for you. The company has a strong sales performance ethos which is not to everyone's taste.

More frequent communication to the team. Empower mid-level leaders more.

Lack of talent development

I worked at Pubmatic

Pros

Some smart people, trying hard to be cool, programmatic in general is the wave of the future so it's a good space to learn.

Cons

What others here have said about the high churn and the layers of mid level managers is true. Short sighted ethos pervades.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bad place to work

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time for more than a year

Pros

Potentially in a growth industry.

Cons

Culture is horrid. Never had a good feeling about the people working or leading the company.

Look for writings on the wall if you want to build a great company. Seems you are out there for a quick buck.

This company is all about words and no action. A start up that tries hard to be corporate resulting in being neither.

I worked at Pubmatic full-time for less than a year

Pros

I honestly can't think of any reason people would work there. Horrible culture, low pay, terrible management and politics.

Cons

Their business decisions absolutely make no sense. I came there as part of an acquisition. And I was considered to be a "very key" person. They bumped up my salary laterally and tried to push a very very restrictive non-compete on me. They managed to bully some of the people into signing that but majority just left. Not one person was happy with the offers they have received. Considering they basically robbed every single person of the money with the acquisition where they really did not negotiate in a good faith, they could have at least made people happy. But it seemed they preferred to loose everything they have invested but would not raise salaries to make people happy. They have created a toxic environment and had the nerve to tell all of us "assume good intentions". Please... Actions speak for themselves.

Try to treat your people with respect. Make your "key" people happy and not try to bully them into giving up any opportunity for advancement. But I honestly don't believe you would listen anyway, your company's culture is poisonous and any person with half of a brain will leave your company

Too many cooks in the kitchen

I worked at Pubmatic full-time

Pros

Get some programmatic exposure though you'll really have to struggle and fend for yourself which is somewhat comforting because everyone is in the same boat. I would say about 70% of the employees are just faking it until they make it. Just try and ask them a question and watch them stutter and reply we'll look into that for you.

Cons

You'll notice most have been around for less than a year which speaks to the high turnover rate. While most of these layoffs weren't of choice for me the frequency is worrying because it indicates a company that lacks direction. They tend to feed you a lot of BS about how PubMatic is so far above competitors like Appnexus, Rubicon and AdX. If you do research on your own YES programmatic is growing BUT there's not a lot of money in SSP. PubMatic is no longer just a premium publisher partner they have more lower tier accounts in reality and a handful of actual premium publishers. It's an everyday struggle with publishers who are working with AdX/Rubicon and are seeing much better results with those partner than with PubMatic. This sounds harsh but just do everyone a favor and either sell the company or go out of business already.

They don't need any advice because they are so caught up with meetings and fighting the fight to stay in business that any advice would just be disregarded.

A lot of potential that is blocked by office politics

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time for less than a year

Pros

A lot to learn, great technology and resources to learn many different moving pieces. Ample opportunity to own your own book of business and be as involved as you would like. A valuable place to learn from and have on your resume

Cons

Office politics between employees can get toxic, comes from mid level-directors seemingly thinking they are fighting for their jobs and stirring the pot that trickles down into the dynamics of their teams.

all work with no direction or long term prospect

I worked at Pubmatic full-time

Pros

start here was good with package but things went downhill quickly on work. nice new offices. hr efforts to keep the work environment fun. those who are new to the line will learn lots of stuffs if there is interest. support and interaction with other departments including sales and services. some products are new and opportunities are there to involve in fresh development activity.

Cons

entire middle management is making decisions to protect itself and not for or supporting the good developers. cofounders running the show mostly or engaging a politics driven culture. short-sighted decisions on people and infra affect all. constant code fixes to hide mistakes and no controls therefore one team impacts other teams. plan to work half the time correcting old error. product and algo teams are fully new every year... no appreciation of major efforts but publicised action gets awards. not much chance for onsite opportunities and India team will be big base... good for those who wants to stay in Pune.

spend for the longer term not for exits. visit the location where the max employees are and hire for quality instead of chasing customers who are leaving due to bad product and dev short term decisions. streamline bloated India engineering team with no power to managers and mixed up efforts. solve some problems for future... and at least stop the blame games by getting some trust back into teams and tackle root cause of issue

'Anything that gets your blood racing is probably worth doing.' Hunter S Thompson

Current Employee - Sales  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working at PubMatic for nearly 2 years, I can honestly say my company is remarkably genuine... In good and challenging times.

I can count on my manager and executive team to display great judgement for our business, team, and clients.

I've never seen us compromise on values or mission statement.

Our work ethic resonates and builds our creditability.

Recently our Redwood City, New York and London offices moved into new office locations because of our growth. It's crystal clear in each of these new offices, the execs are creating a place for us to do incredible work!

Our offices are like our second homes, a place to hang out with friends, and where we come daily to be inspired!

Cons

Attrition last summer was disconcerting until transparency brought forward the reasons why.

Employees on their way out sparked fear and intimidation in newbies - wasn't ideal for company culture.

At our old offices, we'd run out of conference rooms and have to entertain clients or interview candidates at coffee shops or restaurants.

Continued effort by leadership to be a little more deferential, complimentary and interested. Its risky and understandably somewhat vulnerable for executives but you're all doing great at helping people feel a little better about themselves and is inspiring!

Great product and clients...horrible management and processes

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Pubmatic full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun industry, great technology and great clients

Cons

Horrible management team, disorganized and inefficient business practices

Worked for Pubmatic? Contribute to the Community!