Pubmatic Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
Rajeev Goel

Pros
  • I honestly can't think of many positives other than the sprinkling of good people that can be found and usually stick together (in 6 reviews)

• It was a good place to initially learn stuff and meet people, Excellent timings and flexible work environment (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much of a work/life balance unless you have small accounts (in 5 reviews)

• It is pretty much a revolving door - where engineering and product leaders are hired and fired (in 3 reviews)

Great new leadership

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time

Pros

Within the past six months, PubMatic has hired a few new members of the leadership team that have contributed to many improvements. The new leadership team seems to be very in the know about trends within the business.

Cons

Although PubMatic has hired new members on the leadership team, retaining talent is seems to be somewhat of a problem.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to figure out a way to retain the best talent. Especially since a lot of the employees only last about a year in the company.

Fast growing company and great opportunities for those that work hard

Current Employee - New York in New York, NY
    Current Employee - New York in New York, NY

Pros

Within the last year PubMatic has brought on some great new leaders within the business that truly understand the market opportunity and how to capture growth Clear mission statement within a crowded sector - the company continues to grow in people and revenue - well ahead of the industry and remains focused on the needs of publishers rather than constantly pivoting Great work experience to be part of a growing global company and opportunities to see how a business is run- the leadership team is very transparent about growth and trends within the business

Cons

As expected in a high growth company in a growing market, it's been hard for the company to retain talent at times and the impact can be felt across multiple orgs including product, sales and account management Work/life balance is difficult for some as there is still a start up mentality within many of the offices

Advice to Management

Focus on better ways to retain the best talent within the company and increase marketing exposure to make it easier for the sales teams in market

Account Manager

Pros

Well connected in the industry that has a great product vision.

Cons

Need to focus on retaining high performing employee's.

Advice to Management

Retain your talent

Not a great place to be

Former Employee - Sales/Marketing in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales/Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at Pubmatic full-time

Pros

- Great, fun, smart staff. - Knowledgeable engineering team - Hardworking sales and marketing team

Cons

Senior management team frequently changes its mind about priorities and desired outcomes. The CEO is an an engineer and everything creative must be translated into a way that an engineer would think. But not everyone thinks like an engineer.

Advice to Management

Be clear about what you want and stick to it. You may see less employee turnover if you are more consistent and treat people like the professionals that they are.

6. Serious culture problem

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time

Pros

There are a few leaders who are articulate and can speak well on company's positioning in a potentially growth industry

Cons

I was mislead during the interview process and the job I interviewed for does not exist. This can't be what the leadership means to happen. I saw the company's values posted on the wall but no one talked about them. Now I understand why I was only asked about my qualifications and if I achieved excellence in my past roles. Every company aspires to success, that's a given but I think it starts from hiring the right people for the right roles at the start. I also should have considered that when I came in for an afternoon interview, everyone was still buried in work after 5 PM. I should have paid more attention to people who seemed stressed as a few people working late is fine but now that I've been here a while, I see that the work-life balance doesn't exist.

Advice to Management

Remove the hierarchical structure in which it seems management and employees are at odds. It'll make us more likely to approach you with our disappointment about roles that we were oversold on as well as lack of development and growth opportunities.

Bring Transparency and Vision to Center Stage

I worked at Pubmatic full-time

Pros

There are so many career opportunities at PubMatic and the company does a good job promoting first-time managers from within. PubMatic employees are generally good people and I made a lot sincere of friends there. You can make a lot of industry connections at PubMatic, especially if you are in a client facing role. They have a lot of great customers who appreciate the partnership and the upside PubMatic brings to the table. I really loved my customers and the relationships we built.

Cons

The turn over is a problem that should come front and center. Due to turn over, some people's morale can swing up and down. It's hard when colleagues and respected leaders leave the business in such a big exodus. The turn-over rate is just tremendous and customers bring it up all the time. "You are my 5th account manager in 1 year." Due to lack of staffing, people are generally over worked and get stressed. In this type of economy, it's silly that PubMatic cannot fulfill open headcount. Retain the top employees not by offering promotion or raises, but by listening to their feedback and putting it in to action. There is a lack of operational discipline in the business overall. In order to get something done for a customer, people often have to loop-in 5 people who sit in different time zones. Escalations management becomes a core part of sales people's jobs and most sellers just don't know how to project manage well. Commanding people's attention in order to resolve customer challenges becomes burdensome and places an undue tax on the teams.

Advice to Management

Hire more TAMs and invest in onboarding. New Hire Training needs to be a focus area for the business and it cannot be a manager's job to 100% train an employee. To address the turn-over, I advise a more frequent all-hands cadence. People enjoy hearing from Rajeev. He takes time to say hello to everyone in the office when he travels and he puts forward a lot of effort in building a rapport with tons of people at the company. People also really love Andy, the CTO. If Rajeev and Andy could spend more time in informal town-hall meetings, I believe that they could recharge the workforce in a very meaningful way. There are some toxic areas that need to be addressed rather quickly. I think HR and office culture may be an area worth investigating internally. I'd advise the CEO to have 1:1 conversations with individual-contributors about their experience with HR. HR seems to call people in to their offices too often, like children a called into a principal's office. They admonish people who speak frankly about the business rather than reward them for caring about problem-solving. It's better for HR to coach people into expressing their ideas for solutions rather than slap them on the wrist for speaking truthfully. This instigates a culture of fear -- one that fuels a rampant gossip culture that is both negative and distracting to the business. There is one huge HR issue going on -- they know -- please address.

Limited opportunity for growth ..only few team members get exposure

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Pubmatic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of parties , Few great people , Travel opportunities That's all I can think of.

Cons

Not everyone is engaged and exposed in Pubmatic . you need to be lucky or hand of some one senior on you for your growth . So growth is not all proportional to talent and work but more dependent on current exposure , luck and charity. HR policies are weak . salary is average as compared to Industry.

Advice to Management

Bring better middle managers/leaders .most of them are not up to standard.

What a mess.

I worked at Pubmatic full-time

Pros

Can't think of one positive experience.

Cons

Shortly after being hired there was a company-wide initiative by HR for employees to write more favorable reviews of the company. I was surprised at first by the amount of current employees that had bad things to say, but having experienced it first hand the stories are all very true. This company is mis-managed and plays favorites with people in positions of leadership that don't have the technical skills to back them up. Collaboration is non-existent and forced when it does occur. Work/life balance is non-existent for the people not in Director roles or workers who seem to have more weight in working from home or taking PTO from seniority. Very biased and unproductive working environment. Technology architecture is a nightmare so even with the best developers the way they built their product makes getting anything done virtually impossible.

Advice to Management

Take the complaints of former and current employees more serious and more importantly do something to correct your problems. The complaints about HR are entirely true as the issues that are repeatedly brought up to them and are pre-existing (and documented well here) are never considered as problems with the organization. The same concerns from former employees are all still very present in the current office environment.

Dont waste your time

I worked at Pubmatic full-time

Pros

Free food - that's it!

Cons

Open desk model that does not foster collaboration - it is a very quiet, unapproachable, unfriendly, untrustworthy, headphones on everyone environment. Their way to approach employees is set up to be a revolving door - one in one out, and not really caring to connect with the employees. They have extreme amounts of turnover (voluntary and involuntary. people are there less than 10 months), which is felt amongst all employees, however they are not doing anything about. Their benefits are not comparable to market, especially around new parents. Any candidate that walks in, can see this isn't your typical high tech lively environment. They made mandatory 1:1 weekly meetings in 2015, which fosters lack of trust and micro management.

Advice to Management

Stop with all of the Human Resources people preaching best places to work and worrying about employment branding. Instead they need to focus on creating an environment and culture that is inviting and caring, getting to know employees, hiring the right people and providing them with the attention and care that is needed to develop new hires, learn to build trust amongst the teams, and focus on ROI of each new hire, before they can bring in their next generation of turnover employees.

The Best Three Years of My Employed Life

Former Employee - Technical Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Technical Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Pubmatic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The time that I spent at PubMatic was truly the most enriching and memorable years of my professional life. PubMatic allowed me to grow and build so many parts of the company, and myself, to the extent that I do not think I could have had that level of experience in any other company. I was able to travel the world, learn foreign markets, strengthen my technical acumen, develop business relationships, and make life long friendships. To anybody that wants be inserted into a company with enterprise technology, awesome staff, and the ability to choose their own adventure. Then this is the company for you.

Cons

Do no expect PubMatic to hand you growth, you will need to plan your own development, and execute that plan. Execution will involve the physical tasks and politics that there in.

Advice to Management

Don't be so blind sided.

RSS Feed </> Embed