Pubmatic Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
Rajeev Goel

Pros
  • I honestly can't think of many positives other than the sprinkling of good people that can be found and usually stick together (in 6 reviews)

• It was a good place to initially learn stuff and meet people, Excellent timings and flexible work environment (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much of a work/life balance unless you have small accounts (in 5 reviews)

• It is pretty much a revolving door - where engineering and product leaders are hired and fired (in 3 reviews)

The Best Three Years of My Employed Life

Former Employee - Technical Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Technical Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Pubmatic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The time that I spent at PubMatic was truly the most enriching and memorable years of my professional life. PubMatic allowed me to grow and build so many parts of the company, and myself, to the extent that I do not think I could have had that level of experience in any other company.

I was able to travel the world, learn foreign markets, strengthen my technical acumen, develop business relationships, and make life long friendships.

To anybody that wants be inserted into a company with enterprise technology, awesome staff, and the ability to choose their own adventure. Then this is the company for you.

Cons

Do no expect PubMatic to hand you growth, you will need to plan your own development, and execute that plan. Execution will involve the physical tasks and politics that there in.

Advice to Management

Don't be so blind sided.

Amazing company with fantastic people

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been here just over a year now and can honestly say I love it. The leadership team are working hard to make PubMatic a great place to work and it feels as though everyone that I interact with (HR, EMEA leadership and APAC Leadership) believe in the company and actually care about the staff.

Fantastic people that love the company, great benefits, a market leading product, ability to travel, food (Lunches and snacks etc), global opportunities, great pay and bonus that so far have been hit each quarter, freedom and autonomy to do your job, being surrounded by smart passionate people that believe in the product and work well as team, open Managers that welcome suggestions and input. The list goes on!

There is a huge amount to learn and my first year at PubMatic has been great fun, but also put me in a position to further my career very quickly if I do decide to move on.

Cons

With Head offices in the US and growth in APAC its not a 9-5 job. You need to be prepared to work hard, but if you do you will be rewarded.

Advice to Management

Improved stock schemes to keep people and find ways to keep your superstars - they are worth paying for. We would like to see more of the SLT - plenty of Video calls is great, but it would be nice to see them face to face more often (appreciate with 10+ global offices now it's not easy!)

3. Great Place

Current Employee - Account Executive in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Pubmatic

Pros

Great environment, people and technology..!

Cons

Tech growing at a faster pace than business

Advice to Management

Be easy on employee...focus on the evolving situation...

Great people and Culture + great pay

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

tasty lunch twice a week, fully stocked kitchen and fridge, nice people, flexible work environment, people work hard and make sure they have fun too. Smart colleagues who want to win and love PubMatic.
    Company is growing fast and is hiring in every team -we now need to move to a new office!

Cons

can't think of any cons at the moment apart from having more team building fun activities.

Advice to Management

Please make sure transparency stays the same no matter how much we grow - really makes you feel proud to work for PubMatic when you understand how the business is performing!!

6. Growing team, more opportunities to be promoted internally

Current Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Pubmatic

Pros

PubMatic has some of the smartest team members I've ever worked with. Both as a past client and current employee, the PubMatic team consults and educates, positioning themselves as thought leaders in Adtech. It has been great to be apart of an office that embraces career growth and training. We challenge each other to think outside the box and take on projects in areas we want to learn more about. This company culture makes me excited to come to the office every day and my career roadmap for 6, 12 and 18 months shows me there are opportunities to advance within the org.

Cons

As a growing company in the Adtech space, it is a challenge to maintain the culture and continue to hire. The company really depends on the current employees to keep the positive energy level up and to teach those who are new to the team.

Advice to Management

Sit down with middle level management more often to get updates and feedback. Please keep the current level of transparency even as we continue to grow- it is greatly appreciated to know short and long term strategy.

Awesome place to work! Culture - people - challenges and massively growing business!

I worked at Pubmatic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. First reason for joining any company is how's that company doing! Pubmatic on that front is just growing exponentially.
    2. On technology stack front there are quite diverse set of technologies ranging from cutting edge technologies in front end/backend to machine learning and big-data.
    3. Policies of the company are quite flexible and due to the facilities you always feel comfortable with the working environment.
    4. People are in general bright and cooperative.

Cons

On earlier days there were some challenges like 'deployment blues' which actually most of the companies have. But recently management has taken them seriously and things are improving rapidly on that front and some of other process related fronts as well.
    But for a passionate technical individual I don't think there much cons.

8. PubMatic - Right Place, Right Time, Right Solutions, Right Team - A Great Place To Work.

Current Employee - Country Manager in Munich, Bayern (Germany)
    Current Employee - Country Manager in Munich, Bayern (Germany)

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being part of the PubMatic team it feels like being at the right place at the right time.
    As half of the global team is involveld in engineering and product we have the great opportunity to be ahead of the development and to meet the market requirements with our existing solutions and innovations in the long term. Further it is a global company that understands local markets requirments and that supports these markets in the best way. What makes PubMatic special is a great team spirit and I really enjoy every day I am with the company.

Cons

Due to the fast growth of the business a fast growth of the global team and the teams in local markets is key for success. It is a challenge to keep pace to establish the necessary structures, processes and a common understanding of our strategy and culture, but there are the right actions in place and we are on a good way.

Account Executive

Current Employee - Account Executive in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Very well known in the industry
    - Fast growing. Went from roughly 300 to 600 employees in 2014. Looking to grow to roughly 800 employees by 2016.
    - Huge investment in employees. Continual HR polls asking employees for feedback on what they can do better.
    - Brilliant/incredibly smart team to work with. A lot of people actually leave places like Google to come here, because they feel the opportunity is stronger.
    - Thorough training for new employees
    - Very appealing compensation packages
    - Great benefits (unlimited vacation days!, fully stocked kitchen, catered meals brought in every Monday and Thursday)
    - Huge opportunity for personal growth
    - People who work here love working here. They work hard, but don't work ridiculous office hours.
    - Strong camaraderie within the office. People actually eat lunch together in the cafeteria, they don't bring lunch back to their desks and continue working.
    - The CEO is extremely approachable. He actually found me on my first day, addressed me by name, and welcomed me to the company.
    - Senior management is very open to receiving feedback from employees, and they actually will implement a lot of the recommendations.
    - Very future driven. As a sales rep, I feel we have a huge leg up in the industry by continually being first to market with new products.

Cons

If you live in San Francisco, the commute down the peninsula can be draining. However, the office is in walking distance to Caltrain.

Advice to Management

Open an additional office in San Francisco

Growth & Opportunity

I have been working at Pubmatic

Pros

PubMatic is at the center of some huge trends and a very fast growing industry – depending on what you are looking for, this can be good or bad. First, the good…

When a company is growing at the type of rates that PubMatic is growing at, the amount of responsibility that becomes available on a daily basis is massive. There are constantly new challenges that need to get solved, and due to the velocity, those challenges aren’t neatly given to certain individuals based on org structure and title. Responsibility and opportunity is up for grabs to those who are willing to step up. This is possible because of the growth rates – I’ve worked for slower growing companies and it’s not the case. If you are looking to truly own something and see it through, PubMatic is likely a good fit.

To be successful in an environment like this, it’s important that you have access to as many business metrics and as much executive thinking as possible (if you are expected to own sr. level projects, then you need to have access to sr. level thinking as well). The amount of data and transparency into the company’s strategy that is provided by the executive team is phenomenal. I’ve never been at a company that shares as openly as PubMatic. This is important to me as I’m trying to learn how a company is run and want to understand how key decisions are made. One caveat… it takes some effort to learn the systems and understand how to access the data, but once you learn, everything is available. Not everyone at the company is willing to put in this effort – and that’s their loss. Note: the company is working on simplifying this, but my point remains the same.

Cons

A mentor of mine once told me that the difference between lower level contributors and higher level contributors is the complexity of the problems they are asked to deal with. When you are a manager, problems are handed down to you in neatly organized bite-sized chunks (which isn’t the case for a VP). As mentioned above, the fast growth of the company often results in individuals being asked to solve complex cross-functional challenges larger than their “title” or experience level may justify. Depending on who you are, this may sound like a growth opportunity or an overly daunting task. It’s important to know where you fit on this spectrum to understand if PubMatic is a good place for you.

PubMatic is a bit chaotic. In my mind, this is good. This is a result of the growth and exactly what I want to be in the middle of. Nevertheless, if process and order are your bag, then keep this in mind.

In short, PubMatic is a place for people who want to be a part of building something. Building is messy, frustrating and challenging, but it’s also more rewarding. If you want to join something that is already built and you become a part of a culture that is already solidified, then PubMatic is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Continue being transparent, which will become harder and harder as the company grows.

Challenging, rewarding, fun work environment

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are looking for a challenging, complex, thought-provoking work environment, PubMatic is the place for you. The company & its leadership reward employees that do good work, and that are proactive in making PubMatic successful. Over the last year I have seen a transformation for the better; in the past it may have been hard to speak your mind and make a change for the better. That said, I truly believe the leadership team is dedicated to transparency & "open door" policy - encouraging input from everyone in the organization so that together we can all achieve more.

There are some incredibly smart, talented hard working people at every level & every geo. A great company culture is all about its people at the end of the day, and we have the right ingredients in that regard. I also believe PubMatic is on a continued rise performance-wise; being in a market that is growing, and growing as a company yourself, have and will play a huge role in making PubMatic a great place to work.

Some groups complain about being worked too hard and not being rewarded. I don't believe that's true now, even if it had been before. And I can tell you, having come from an extremely challenging work environment working 8am to 10pm on a regular basis, till 2 am on a semi-regular basis, with extreme stress and demands, this is nowhere near there. It's all relative. Yes, if you want a 9-5, don't work here. Join a 10K person corporation.

Cons

There are some growing pains at the company - difficulty to find the right information, lack of superb training, poor information sharing across groups, but I believe leadership is taking all the right steps to fix this. There have been some mis-steps in 2014, but I see leadership holding themselves accountable and making this a priority for 2015.

And it's not all on leadership! There are also some incredible talented people taking this upon themselves to make a difference from the bottom up. And guess, they will succeed!!

Again, if you are interested in working at a place where everything works smoothly, Ad Tech & startups are not right for you period. That's all.

Advice to Management

There are some members on the leadership team that do not comply with company core values (like transparency, like bias towards action) I say they need to change or get out. That's it, they are pulling down company morale and generally have a negative impact on culture.

RSS Feed </> Embed