Pubmatic Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
Rajeev Goel

Pros
  • I honestly can't think of many positives other than the sprinkling of good people that can be found and usually stick together (in 6 reviews)

• It was a good place to initially learn stuff and meet people, Excellent timings and flexible work environment (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much of a work/life balance unless you have small accounts (in 5 reviews)

• It is pretty much a revolving door - where engineering and product leaders are hired and fired (in 3 reviews)

1. Serious culture problem

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time

Pros

There are a few leaders who are articulate and can speak well on company's positioning in a potentially growth industry

Cons

I was mislead during the interview process and the job I interviewed for does not exist. This can't be what the leadership means to happen. I saw the company's values posted on the wall but no one talked about them. Now I understand why I was only asked about my qualifications and if I achieved excellence in my past roles. Every company aspires to success, that's a given but I think it starts from hiring the right people for the right roles at the start. I also should have considered that when I came in for an afternoon interview, everyone was still buried in work after 5 PM. I should have paid more attention to people who seemed stressed as a few people working late is fine but now that I've been here a while, I see that the work-life balance doesn't exist.

Advice to Management

Remove the hierarchical structure in which it seems management and employees are at odds. It'll make us more likely to approach you with our disappointment about roles that we were oversold on as well as lack of development and growth opportunities.

Going down

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Pune (India)
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Pune (India)

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good technology but crowded space now. Facing issues in market.

Cons

Striving very hard to keep good leadership. Most good leaders are gone or going. The golden days are over and this company is not going anywhere. Product team is down to zero yet again. All signs of poor leadership. The good reviews are obviously made up. Very insecure atmosphere and blame games are a part of the culture. Who ever is hiring the new leadership should be fired. They do not understand how to hire. Incompetent leadership is tolerated in headquarters. Founders investing in other companies and showing signs of low expectations themselves. Who do we look to ?

Advice to Management

Please change the persons who are responsible for the politics.

Bring Transparency and Vision to Center Stage

I worked at Pubmatic full-time

Pros

There are so many career opportunities at PubMatic and the company does a good job promoting first-time managers from within. PubMatic employees are generally good people and I made a lot sincere of friends there. You can make a lot of industry connections at PubMatic, especially if you are in a client facing role. They have a lot of great customers who appreciate the partnership and the upside PubMatic brings to the table. I really loved my customers and the relationships we built.

Cons

The turn over is a problem that should come front and center. Due to turn over, some people's morale can swing up and down. It's hard when colleagues and respected leaders leave the business in such a big exodus. The turn-over rate is just tremendous and customers bring it up all the time. "You are my 5th account manager in 1 year." Due to lack of staffing, people are generally over worked and get stressed. In this type of economy, it's silly that PubMatic cannot fulfill open headcount. Retain the top employees not by offering promotion or raises, but by listening to their feedback and putting it in to action. There is a lack of operational discipline in the business overall. In order to get something done for a customer, people often have to loop-in 5 people who sit in different time zones. Escalations management becomes a core part of sales people's jobs and most sellers just don't know how to project manage well. Commanding people's attention in order to resolve customer challenges becomes burdensome and places an undue tax on the teams.

Advice to Management

Hire more TAMs and invest in onboarding. New Hire Training needs to be a focus area for the business and it cannot be a manager's job to 100% train an employee. To address the turn-over, I advise a more frequent all-hands cadence. People enjoy hearing from Rajeev. He takes time to say hello to everyone in the office when he travels and he puts forward a lot of effort in building a rapport with tons of people at the company. People also really love Andy, the CTO. If Rajeev and Andy could spend more time in informal town-hall meetings, I believe that they could recharge the workforce in a very meaningful way. There are some toxic areas that need to be addressed rather quickly. I think HR and office culture may be an area worth investigating internally. I'd advise the CEO to have 1:1 conversations with individual-contributors about their experience with HR. HR seems to call people in to their offices too often, like children a called into a principal's office. They admonish people who speak frankly about the business rather than reward them for caring about problem-solving. It's better for HR to coach people into expressing their ideas for solutions rather than slap them on the wrist for speaking truthfully. This instigates a culture of fear -- one that fuels a rampant gossip culture that is both negative and distracting to the business. There is one huge HR issue going on -- they know -- please address.

Account Manager

Pros

Well connected in the industry that has a great product vision.

Cons

Need to focus on retaining high performing employee's.

Advice to Management

Retain your talent

Not a great place to be

Former Employee - Sales/Marketing in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales/Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at Pubmatic full-time

Pros

- Great, fun, smart staff. - Knowledgeable engineering team - Hardworking sales and marketing team

Cons

Senior management team frequently changes its mind about priorities and desired outcomes. The CEO is an an engineer and everything creative must be translated into a way that an engineer would think. But not everyone thinks like an engineer.

Advice to Management

Be clear about what you want and stick to it. You may see less employee turnover if you are more consistent and treat people like the professionals that they are.

Great new leadership

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time

Pros

Within the past six months, PubMatic has hired a few new members of the leadership team that have contributed to many improvements. The new leadership team seems to be very in the know about trends within the business.

Cons

Although PubMatic has hired new members on the leadership team, retaining talent is seems to be somewhat of a problem.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to figure out a way to retain the best talent. Especially since a lot of the employees only last about a year in the company.

8. Pubmatic a good company for geeks

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pune (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pune (India)

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great for people who want to explore and learn new technologies. The company lets you experiment and make mistakes . Good for people who are in the initial stage of carrier. + Good pay + Talented Co-workers + Good Team.

Cons

Attitude of HR is very upsetting and creates a negative feel.

Advice to Management

Remove employees that spreads negativity. Bring active and accountable HR team who thinks for employees .

Fast growing company and great opportunities for those that work hard

Current Employee - New York in New York, NY
    Current Employee - New York in New York, NY

Pros

Within the last year PubMatic has brought on some great new leaders within the business that truly understand the market opportunity and how to capture growth Clear mission statement within a crowded sector - the company continues to grow in people and revenue - well ahead of the industry and remains focused on the needs of publishers rather than constantly pivoting Great work experience to be part of a growing global company and opportunities to see how a business is run- the leadership team is very transparent about growth and trends within the business

Cons

As expected in a high growth company in a growing market, it's been hard for the company to retain talent at times and the impact can be felt across multiple orgs including product, sales and account management Work/life balance is difficult for some as there is still a start up mentality within many of the offices

Advice to Management

Focus on better ways to retain the best talent within the company and increase marketing exposure to make it easier for the sales teams in market

10. General overview

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time

Pros

Nice team, great place to develop leadership

Cons

Workload, it can be overloaded

11. Great Company to work for!

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time

Pros

One of the best interview process to filter exactly the candidate they are looking for, great cozy work environment. Work hard, play hard environment. All in all, nobody is micro managing but no need for it if you are an adult and understand your responsibilities. Well positioned in the AdTech ecosystem and with 700 employees globally, definitely not a new name in the market.

Cons

Nothing majorly wrong with this company, other than the fact that even though you are a part of a global organisation - it still feels like a startup in AU with not many heads in the office. One has to come prepared to hit the ground running, with support from various teams. Not a PubMatic only issue, have seen this with many organisations happen before on a massive growth incline.

RSS Feed </> Embed