Pubmatic Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014
Updated August 26, 2014

2.9

Rajeev Goel

Completing a period of transition and positioned for strong growth

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is at the forefront of the programmatic segment and recently rated as #1 by Forrester in its category. It's no longer a startup and has gone through the awkward transition to a more mature company in the last two years, with a lot of the weaker team members moving on to create a much stronger business. The executive team have a clear vision on where the company is going and a focus on getting there. Salary and benefits are competitive.

Cons

The usual downsides of a high-growth company: aggressive hiring, ambitious objectives and probably trying to do too much. If you're not interested in a high-growth environment, this is not the place for you. The company has a strong sales performance ethos which is not to everyone's taste.

More frequent communication to the team. Empower mid-level leaders more.

Not good place anymore

I worked at Pubmatic full-time

Pros

Excellent product and technology stack

Cons

New managers coming will keep asking you about JIRA ticket status every time. Doesn't matter whether it adds any value to product.
    You now focus more on updating tickets than doing actual work
    No more a startup kind of place. You will feel leaving office early.

Let the startup culture remain.
    Hire technical managers who are willing to have product knowledge.
    Actual productive and good employees may get pissed off because of non technical managers.

Exciting, challenging & fun place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a great sense of teamwork across all PubMatic offices. There is always someone who can help or point you in the right direction. There is a huge focus and effort around us being the best in the industry! We take pride in delivering the best technology and customer service to every one of our clients.

The company is filled with a large number of industry, product and technology experts who are looking at ways of sharing their knowledge across the business. PubMatic's Training and Development team have just launched a new and exciting learning tool for all employees to access. Knowledge & innovation is at the heart of our development.

The UK Leadership Team are extremely approachable and there is very much an open door policy! I have worked for some great and horrendous companies in the past and I would definitely consider PubMatic to be one of my favourite places to work. PubMatic is at an exciting point in it's growth and I can't wait to be part of its success.

Cons

HQ processes and procedures need to be localised as our Non US operations grow bigger and bigger!

Find more ways of spending dedicated time with your global teams. The time you spend with them is invaluable and can go a long way to making your them feel appreciated and that their voices are heard!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice place to Work With

I have been working at Pubmatic for more than 3 years

Pros

Good learning place with high motivation.

Cons

Some time favoritism covers your good performance.

engineer

I have been working at Pubmatic

Pros

good life balance,salary,perk more good here

Cons

management crazy guys,no hike is tere

Good for starters : Not much for leaders

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Exciting industry and PubMatic is at the right place at the right time.
    - Work environment is pretty cool, loud music playing on the floor most afternoons! Might get distracting for few but then for those people we have meeting rooms!
    - HR and support teams are quite supportive to anyone reaching out proactively for help. Many fun activities organized by HR team
    - Flexible work hours/No leave policy
    - Great pay - I doubt if there's any other company in this industry paying better than PubMatic

Cons

- Too many frequent leadership departures (many of them involuntary) causing too much flux.
    - There are "a few" smarties around and some really poor performers hanging in there for years. At times you will realize that it's a "Owner driven company" with all key decisions taken by one of the founders with other leadership having little or no say in the decision making.
    - Few "chosen ones" are treated special and are always backed even for their mistakes. In short, if you're one of the "chosen ones", expect great support and career path otherwise getting acceptance in the leadership is tough irrespective of your caliber.
    - Treat it as a career-in-between. Need for some much changes in the higher management based on real leadership qualities.
    - Dysfunctional groups at large. Product vs Engineering, Architects vs Developers, Old timers vs newbies and so on.

- The whole engineering organization belongs to the CTO, not just the CTO group.
    - Lot of favoritism for a few chosen superheroes vs everyone else. Fundamentally, co-founders need to change their mindset from "My company" to "Our company", provide more decision making freedom to senior leaders hired from the industry.
    - Do not forget the leaders who've brought the company to a stage where we're now able to attract industry veterans and make ourselves known in this space.

Best Company to Start with

I have been working at Pubmatic

Pros

Very good learning curve. Good people and very friendly culture. Good quality of work in front end team

Cons

Most of projects are delivered under high pressure and stringent timelines. Upper management needs to improve on decision making and planning

Bad place to work

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time for more than a year

Pros

Potentially in a growth industry.

Cons

Culture is horrid. Never had a good feeling about the people working or leading the company.

Look for writings on the wall if you want to build a great company. Seems you are out there for a quick buck.

This company is all about words and no action. A start up that tries hard to be corporate resulting in being neither.

I worked at Pubmatic full-time for less than a year

Pros

I honestly can't think of any reason people would work there. Horrible culture, low pay, terrible management and politics.

Cons

Their business decisions absolutely make no sense. I came there as part of an acquisition. And I was considered to be a "very key" person. They bumped up my salary laterally and tried to push a very very restrictive non-compete on me. They managed to bully some of the people into signing that but majority just left. Not one person was happy with the offers they have received. Considering they basically robbed every single person of the money with the acquisition where they really did not negotiate in a good faith, they could have at least made people happy. But it seemed they preferred to loose everything they have invested but would not raise salaries to make people happy. They have created a toxic environment and had the nerve to tell all of us "assume good intentions". Please... Actions speak for themselves.

Try to treat your people with respect. Make your "key" people happy and not try to bully them into giving up any opportunity for advancement. But I honestly don't believe you would listen anyway, your company's culture is poisonous and any person with half of a brain will leave your company

Lack of talent development

I worked at Pubmatic

Pros

Some smart people, trying hard to be cool, programmatic in general is the wave of the future so it's a good space to learn.

Cons

What others here have said about the high churn and the layers of mid level managers is true. Short sighted ethos pervades.

Worked for Pubmatic? Contribute to the Community!