Pubmatic

Pubmatic Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Rajeev Goel

Nice place to Work With

ProsGood learning place with high motivation.

ConsSome time favoritism covers your good performance.

engineer

Prosgood life balance,salary,perk more good here

Consmanagement crazy guys,no hike is tere

Good for starters : Not much for leaders

Pros- Exciting industry and PubMatic is at the right place at the right time.
    - Work environment is pretty cool, loud music playing on the floor most afternoons! Might get distracting for few but then for those people we have meeting rooms!
    - HR and support teams are quite supportive to anyone reaching out proactively for help. Many fun activities organized by HR team
    - Flexible work hours/No leave policy
    - Great pay - I doubt if there's any other company in this industry paying better than PubMatic

Cons- Too many frequent leadership departures (many of them involuntary) causing too much flux.
    - There are "a few" smarties around and some really poor performers hanging in there for years. At times you will realize that it's a "Owner driven company" with all key decisions taken by one of the founders with other leadership having little or no say in the decision making.
    - Few "chosen ones" are treated special and are always backed even for their mistakes. In short, if you're one of the "chosen ones", expect great support and career path otherwise getting acceptance in the leadership is tough irrespective of your caliber.
    - Treat it as a career-in-between. Need for some much changes in the higher management based on real leadership qualities.
    - Dysfunctional groups at large. Product vs Engineering, Architects vs Developers, Old timers vs newbies and so on.

Advice to Senior Management- The whole engineering organization belongs to the CTO, not just the CTO group.
    - Lot of favoritism for a few chosen superheroes vs everyone else. Fundamentally, co-founders need to change their mindset from "My company" to "Our company", provide more decision making freedom to senior leaders hired from the industry.
    - Do not forget the leaders who've brought the company to a stage where we're now able to attract industry veterans and make ourselves known in this space.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best Company to Start with

ProsVery good learning curve. Good people and very friendly culture. Good quality of work in front end team

ConsMost of projects are delivered under high pressure and stringent timelines. Upper management needs to improve on decision making and planning

Bad place to work

ProsPotentially in a growth industry.

ConsCulture is horrid. Never had a good feeling about the people working or leading the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for writings on the wall if you want to build a great company. Seems you are out there for a quick buck.

This company is all about words and no action. A start up that tries hard to be corporate resulting in being neither.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI honestly can't think of any reason people would work there. Horrible culture, low pay, terrible management and politics.

ConsTheir business decisions absolutely make no sense. I came there as part of an acquisition. And I was considered to be a "very key" person. They bumped up my salary laterally and tried to push a very very restrictive non-compete on me. They managed to bully some of the people into signing that but majority just left. Not one person was happy with the offers they have received. Considering they basically robbed every single person of the money with the acquisition where they really did not negotiate in a good faith, they could have at least made people happy. But it seemed they preferred to loose everything they have invested but would not raise salaries to make people happy. They have created a toxic environment and had the nerve to tell all of us "assume good intentions". Please... Actions speak for themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to treat your people with respect. Make your "key" people happy and not try to bully them into giving up any opportunity for advancement. But I honestly don't believe you would listen anyway, your company's culture is poisonous and any person with half of a brain will leave your company

Lack of talent development

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome smart people, trying hard to be cool, programmatic in general is the wave of the future so it's a good space to learn.

ConsWhat others here have said about the high churn and the layers of mid level managers is true. Short sighted ethos pervades.

Impressed so far

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsI've only been with Pubmatic a short time, however, what I have seen I am impressed with. Very friendly and approachable colleagues and managers, a supportive management team and plenty of opportunity to work off my own initiative. Staff seem to believe in the product and its great to be surrounded by such passionate people.

ConsNone so far, however having read some other reviews I report back if things change.

Advice to Senior ManagementEMEA and APAC need more autonomy if they are to operate as efficiently as is needed across time zones.

Don't recognize talent. Only favorites

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Pune (India)

ProsGood environment . Lots of learning

ConsExpect everyone to work on weekends.
    Release date finalized first and then comes to engineering with lot of pressure to complete on time.
    Appraisal depends on you personal skill "yes sir" not on the basis of rating and skills. Don't recognize efforts
    Lot of politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire technical managers and director who knows skills and can understand product and technology

Too many cooks in the kitchen

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGet some programmatic exposure though you'll really have to struggle and fend for yourself which is somewhat comforting because everyone is in the same boat. I would say about 70% of the employees are just faking it until they make it. Just try and ask them a question and watch them stutter and reply we'll look into that for you.

ConsYou'll notice most have been around for less than a year which speaks to the high turnover rate. While most of these layoffs weren't of choice for me the frequency is worrying because it indicates a company that lacks direction. They tend to feed you a lot of BS about how PubMatic is so far above competitors like Appnexus, Rubicon and AdX. If you do research on your own YES programmatic is growing BUT there's not a lot of money in SSP. PubMatic is no longer just a premium publisher partner they have more lower tier accounts in reality and a handful of actual premium publishers. It's an everyday struggle with publishers who are working with AdX/Rubicon and are seeing much better results with those partner than with PubMatic. This sounds harsh but just do everyone a favor and either sell the company or go out of business already.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey don't need any advice because they are so caught up with meetings and fighting the fight to stay in business that any advice would just be disregarded.

Worked for Pubmatic? Contribute to the Community!