Puget Sound Blood Center Reviews

Reset
3.2
James P. AuBuchon

1. Featured Review

Saving lives with everything that we do.

I have been working at Puget Sound Blood Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bloodworks NW saves lives, literally. The work that we do is so incredibly important, and I am proud to work for this organization.

Cons

As with any job, there are downsides, but the pros vastly outweigh the cons.

May 14, 2015 – HR Group Manager

Thank you for your positive feedback. We strive to make BloodworksNW an employer of choice, and while we are continually making progress in reaching that goal we are always looking for ways to make ... More

2. Research Technologist

I worked at Puget Sound Blood Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The job depends on who your supervisor is. I got lucky because my supervisor had a lot of trust in her technologists and was a great mentor to me.

Cons

Older research labs. Not many career advancement opportunities.

Jun 26, 2015 – HR Group Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We realize employee satisfaction is strongly influenced by their supervisor as well as by the team in which they work. While not all supervisors have the same ... More

3. Biased organization

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Puget Sound Blood Center (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some nice people to work with

Cons

Politics in upper management - promotions are dependent upon who you are friends with.

Advice to Management

Spend real time with employees to know the merits/demerits.

5. No room for advancement

I have been working at Puget Sound Blood Center

Pros

Great mission! Community involvement. Close relationships

Cons

Don't expect a promotion! Too many politics

Advice to Management

Listen to your reps! They bring in most your revenue

May 14, 2015 – HR Group Manager

Thank you for your feedback. Lack of room for advancement has been an on going issue of many employees, and while we have made some improvements in that area in, it has not been as wide spread as ... More

Good, most of the time

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Puget Sound Blood Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent PTO and retirement benefits. Employees really care about the work at we do and the patients that we serve. Trying to grow and innovate.

Cons

At that management level, there is a lot of struggle for work-life balance. There are just too many priorities and projects and not enough resources to get everything done. This in turn has really affected staff morale since management puts the staff last while they try to get everything else done. Its a vicious cycle of being too busy, because we don't have enough staff, which makes people want to leave, which creates more work. The senior management is also not very in touch with the staff working directly with our donors and customers. They make a lot of decisions without finding out how it will affect this group of people.

Advice to Management

Slow down or hire more staff. Be concerned about retaining the staff you have - make this a priority.

Jun 9, 2015 – HR Group Manager

You have made an excellent observation. It is a reality that many of our employees, managers and non-managers, put a great deal of pride, effort and time into the valuable work they do. While we ... More

7. Bloodworks to save lives!

I have been working at Puget Sound Blood Center full-time

Pros

Leadership is evolving to a more customer-service and quality driven organization, expanding services and where the voice of the customer, including the employee is being heard more often. It is exciting to see the changes in a 70 year old institution which has a great reputation, with the challenges keeping up with the constant changes in our health care arena, and meeting the continuous demands for life-saving blood components.

Cons

Staff works hard in the field of blood collections with variable schedules. Changes are continually part of the industry, derived from FDA and AABB guidance as well as new management and QA practices and procedures, all in a highly regulated environment. Keeps the workplace in constant change, and challenging.

Advice to Management

Communicate the changes and expectations through a common mode of communication, posted in hard copy for those in the field of blood collections and electronically for the masses.

Jun 9, 2015 – HR Group Manager

Thank you for your valuable feedback. Your comments mirror some that were made during our Employee Engagement Survey last October. While we have addressed many of the issues mentioned in the survey ... More

8. Wonderful to be part of a important mission.

I have been working at Puget Sound Blood Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful coworkers, who self-select to work for a non-profit.

Cons

Don't have unlimited resources to accomplish everything one would like to have.

Advice to Management

Invest in infrastructure.

Jun 9, 2015 – HR Group Manager

Thank you for your feedback. While we truly appreciate the positive comments, we realize creating an engaging and positive work environment is a continual process.

9. Happy to be part of PSBC

I have been working at Puget Sound Blood Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The work that we do truly SAVES LIVES. This is what keeps us focused and brings in a fabulous group of people, committed to serving our patients. Many of us have recruited friends and family to work here - and./or returned back to PSBC from other jobs. Our longest tenured staff member will soon celebrate her 50th work anniversary and many more celebrate 35 and 40 years of working here. That in itself is a testament to the organization.

Cons

As a non-profit, resources must always be carefully considered. Yes, we could more with more - but understand the need to fulfill our mission as responsibly as possible.

10. Great place to work

I have been working at Puget Sound Blood Center

Pros

I do important work, alongside great co-workers, for a supervisor who does her best to keep us informed of what's going on & why changes are happening, I can contact my director when I need to, and the pay is reasonable. Plus, the retirement plan is REALLY good.

Cons

Some people I work with seem to be unhappy no matter what happens.

Advice to Management

Those perpetually unhappy people can make it hard for others to stay positive. Focus on their impact on the rest of us.

11. Strong and Capable Organization

I have been working at Puget Sound Blood Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This is a great not-for-profit organization that offers many different services locally, regionally, nationally and internationally. The research is cutting-edge; the patient care is compassionate and capable; the donor and volunteer programs are awesome. We offer a broad array of educational opportunities. PSBC supported me continuing my formal education. I grew in my career over time and I rose through the ranks over the years. In fact, I am a return employee! We have been saving lives every day for the past 70 years!

Cons

As with many healthcare and research organizations, funding is challenging. Few in the community realize the vast scope of services offered by the Puget Sound Blood Center. We need to do more to highlight our capabilities and services to the community.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on being great at what we do!

RSS Feed </> Embed