Puget Sound Blood Center

Updated November 17, 2014
Updated November 17, 2014
2.2

James P. AuBuchon

Bloodworks to save lives!

I have been working at Puget Sound Blood Center full-time

Pros

Leadership is evolving to a more customer-service and quality driven organization, expanding services and where the voice of the customer, including the employee is being heard more often. It is exciting to see the changes in a 70 year old institution which has a great reputation, with the challenges keeping up with the constant changes in our health care arena, and meeting the continuous demands for life-saving blood components.

Cons

Staff works hard in the field of blood collections with variable schedules. Changes are continually part of the industry, derived from FDA and AABB guidance as well as new management and QA practices and procedures, all in a highly regulated environment. Keeps the workplace in constant change, and challenging.

Communicate the changes and expectations through a common mode of communication, posted in hard copy for those in the field of blood collections and electronically for the masses.

Wonderful to be part of a important mission.

I have been working at Puget Sound Blood Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful coworkers, who self-select to work for a non-profit.

Cons

Don't have unlimited resources to accomplish everything one would like to have.

Invest in infrastructure.

Good, most of the time

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Puget Sound Blood Center full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent PTO and retirement benefits. Employees really care about the work at we do and the patients that we serve. Trying to grow and innovate.

Cons

At that management level, there is a lot of struggle for work-life balance. There are just too many priorities and projects and not enough resources to get everything done. This in turn has really affected staff morale since management puts the staff last while they try to get everything else done. Its a vicious cycle of being too busy, because we don't have enough staff, which makes people want to leave, which creates more work. The senior management is also not very in touch with the staff working directly with our donors and customers. They make a lot of decisions without finding out how it will affect this group of people.

Slow down or hire more staff. Be concerned about retaining the staff you have - make this a priority.

Great place to work

I have been working at Puget Sound Blood Center

Pros

I do important work, alongside great co-workers, for a supervisor who does her best to keep us informed of what's going on & why changes are happening, I can contact my director when I need to, and the pay is reasonable. Plus, the retirement plan is REALLY good.

Cons

Some people I work with seem to be unhappy no matter what happens.

Those perpetually unhappy people can make it hard for others to stay positive. Focus on their impact on the rest of us.

Strong and Capable Organization

I have been working at Puget Sound Blood Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This is a great not-for-profit organization that offers many different services locally, regionally, nationally and internationally. The research is cutting-edge; the patient care is compassionate and capable; the donor and volunteer programs are awesome. We offer a broad array of educational opportunities.

PSBC supported me continuing my formal education. I grew in my career over time and I rose through the ranks over the years. In fact, I am a return employee!

We have been saving lives every day for the past 70 years!

Cons

As with many healthcare and research organizations, funding is challenging. Few in the community realize the vast scope of services offered by the Puget Sound Blood Center. We need to do more to highlight our capabilities and services to the community.

Stay focused on being great at what we do!

Happy to be part of PSBC

I have been working at Puget Sound Blood Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The work that we do truly SAVES LIVES. This is what keeps us focused and brings in a fabulous group of people, committed to serving our patients. Many of us have recruited friends and family to work here - and./or returned back to PSBC from other jobs. Our longest tenured staff member will soon celebrate her 50th work anniversary and many more celebrate 35 and 40 years of working here. That in itself is a testament to the organization.

Cons

As a non-profit, resources must always be carefully considered. Yes, we could more with more - but understand the need to fulfill our mission as responsibly as possible.

I enjoy working here - it's a nice change from for-profit corporate America

I have been working at Puget Sound Blood Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It has been refreshing to work for an organization that recognizes it's financial responsibilities while also serving the community. Yes, some managers aren't excellent, but many are. Most are working toward the same goals, and are very concerned about their staff.
    - Fantastic paid leave benefits
    - Good healthcare benefits (competitive with the offerings of most industries)
    - Many mangers and employees work hard to demonstrate support of the company values.
    - Increasing willingness by management to address performance problems makes the work environment better, and more fair, for the employees who take pride in their work
    - Stable company - they've been around for 70 years and know the importance of fiscal responsibility

Cons

- Some long-term employees are very entrenched in their established way of doing things.
    - Sometimes too much patience for employee bad behavior

Top-level management need to do a better job of connecting with line supervisors and front-line staff. This would help them better understand many issues, including resource scarcity.

overall a decent place to work

I worked at Puget Sound Blood Center full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Management at least tries to give the impression of caring. And generally speaking, if you are smart and work hard, you will be recognized and promoted. Of course, there are always interpersonal dynamics and politics at play too.

Cons

There are many, many great people working there... but unfortunately, in addition to those great people, I also worked with some of the most insufferable humans to ever walk the earth. It all depends on the department. Each one has its own culture.

Find ways to promote inter-departmental awareness and communication, collaboration. Too much goes on in a vacuum.

Poor place to work

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Seattle, WA

I worked at Puget Sound Blood Center full-time

Pros

None. I have none to state.

Cons

Interviewed with this company after answering their Craigslist ad.. Interview went well as did the general orientation. Total facade. A culture of unsafe environment to work in. Staff closely monitored by others and reported to management if they interpret a new as being uninterested, or not paying attention. I am a professional nurse who was a new hire. The educational person doing their orientation was nursing assistant. There was not a degreed trainer/instructor involved with class training. When I mentioned how to present large volumes of information so new hires could more easily understand material, the person went to my immediate supervisor and reported that I was criticizing. The manager also shared with me that my ever move was being was and reported. I was shocked. I am a Critical Care RN and have advanced certifications. I was amazed of the level of snitching. I informed the HR person it does not provide a safe environment to practice.

Very rigid and controlling management. I amended by clock in/out time through an email. I was off my 2 minutes. The manager called and informs me that it looks like I am falsifying my time card. WOW. Very uptight manager. In a hospital setting, there is a certain latitude that is acceptable.

The company has had some major issues with the FDA, and has had some significant violations.

If you are are RN interested in working for the Center, I would stay away. Much more of a snitching, pressure cooker environment.

You don't want to work here. That says a lot coming from a Critical Care RN.

If you foster an unsafe place to work in, you will not attract nor will you retain quality employees. Fear and intimation sets the stage for mistake, and a high turn over of staff. Need to re-think their management style

Well organized with clearly defined roles. Little room for vertical growth.

I worked at Puget Sound Blood Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Puget Sound Blood Center has employees who have worked in their departments for more than ten years. They have a close knit yet very professional culture. The people know their responsibilities, the positions are well defined, and the SOPs are clearly written. Those in leadership were respectful, kind and knowledgeable. My coworkers seemed to enjoy working for this company.

Cons

Vertical movement at Puget Sound Blood Center occurred very infrequently. Developing a management/ advancement track is a possibility.

Puget Sound Blood Center Photos