Puget Sound Blood Center
www.psbc.org Seattle, WA 500 to 999 Employees

Puget Sound Blood Center Reviews

Updated Jun 29, 2014
Puget Sound Blood Center – Seattle – “Puget Sound Blood Center Headquarters”

James P. AuBuchon

Nice non-profit

Seattle, WA

ProsPTO, caring employees, good for the community

Constoo much to do - struggling to get it done, moral isn't great in several areas

Advice to Senior Managementensure have the right infrastucture

My experience working with donors has been fantastic. The company recognizes those that donate.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are programs in place that support and thank donors on a continuous basis. The tree of life with donation names on the leaves is just one example of their daily thanks.

ConsSome challenges exist that reside with upper management not knowledgeable about the operations. There is a very heavy workload and not enough support to complete tasks on time.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize staff as much as the donors.

Used to be a great place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStaff are dedicated to and passionate about the mission.

ConsNickle and diming staff with benefit decreases and salary stagnation; management appears to have little to no concern about abhorrently low staff morale and lack of career development and growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to non-management staff at least once in while; involve non-management staff in decision making. Management has shown to have poor decision making skills.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work for money hungry executives under a "non profit" community serving facade

ProsLike other people said, it's a paycheck.
    The volunteers are an amazing blessing.

ConsNo raises in the last 2 years (except for the top paid executives, of course) Culture is horrible, worst morale I've seen at any job. Strict adherence to operating procedures is expected under super stressful work circumstances (overbooking of donors and under-staffing), frequent and sometimes unnecessary change to policies, and requires the ability to do the same repetitive tasks on a daily basis, with a smile. Also, very little advancement opportunities unless you're in with the right people.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay hourly staff what they deserve. Quit cutting benefits and consider taking less for yourself. Puget Sound Blood Center is parading around as a non profit, but does not act like one.

Great people, as a whole though, resistant to new ideas

ProsThey do good work and the people who work there make it a caring environment. Benefits are awesome.

ConsIdeas brought forward are not acknowledged, there's not much collaboration between departments so it can be inefficient. The organization is rigid when it comes to change.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees care about the work you do. Acknowledge and honor their creativity and insight.

Constant change

ProsAwesome coworkers, decent cross department communication

ConsEverything changes every day based on the last inspection. Benefits constantly shrinking. Top down management that does not work. Staff does not feel they are being listened to. Wrong people in positions given to them by people in management.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff and when your told of an issue don't ignore it.

Seen better days

Bellevue, WA

ProsGood people working for a good cause

ConsLimited career path + from the top and downwards really, really bad management + aging equipment and facilities = Very unhappy and cranky staff.

We also read the recruiting for newbies on Craigslist and laugh at the promises made that will never be kept.

When the very accomplished CEO is not a manager but an expert doc but not so expert executive at several firms the amount of time spent on leadership at PSBC means that he is spread too darn thin.

The CEO is Chief Medical Officer of Transfusion Management Services, Inc. Dr. AuBuchon serves as an Advisor of New Health Sciences, Inc. Dr. AuBuchon served as Scientific Advisor of Immunetics, Inc. He served as a Member of the Medical Advisory Board at Verax Biomedical, Incorporated. He served as Member of Blood Safety Scientific Advisory Board at Cerus Corporation since February 22, 2006. He is a member of the Board of Directors of the American Association of Blood Banks. etc etc etc

Advice to Senior ManagementDay to day LEADERSHIP does matter so get a CEO in place who can the management levels and HR folks below who can work in consistent and constructive ways to improve morale and bring Puget Sound Blood Center into a place where people want to work.

How about getting updated computer systems (still green screens - really now, really ?) , cleaning and painting the staff and donor areas as well as getting better hands on management on-board. Do some 360 feedback with donors, volunteer and staff. There
    are many simple and easy fixes to morale issues but first the CEO must lead.

If your lips aren't on the correct rear end you got no place to advance to!!!!!!!

ProsIt's a pay check. (Well I had to enter at least 5 words)

ConsThings are always changing (3-4 times a week) and they expect you to remember it all.
    They have gotten so black and white with the SOP that if you do steps A,C,B then you could get cited.
    This is, in my opinion, no longer a community based CO. but one that is looking to make money. Oh and I keep seeing people refer to PSBC as a nonprofit. According to management we are not for profit. (There is a difference)
    Direct supervisors want to advocate for their employees but have been told to sit down, shut up and tow the line.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey don't listen anyway.

Heavy duty work!

Blood Collection Specialist (Former Employee)
    Vancouver, WA

ProsGood benefits, good pay. Working for a cause you believe in.

ConsStrenuous and demanding job. Constant change in rules and expectations. As soon as you have your job dialed in, it all changes. Lots of travel. Long, strange hours.

Incompetent Management

ProsPays the bills, decent PTO

ConsHorribly dishonest and incompetent management and HR. Absolutely no incentives to work, since the promotions are not based on competency but self-interest. Benefits are gradually taken away.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnd workplace favoritism and start hiring and promoting competent people, not your friends. Stop playing the mission/vision card and admit that you are all about the money and power.

Worked for Puget Sound Blood Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Puget Sound Blood Center reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Puget Sound Blood Center CEO James P. AuBuchon. All 24 reviews posted anonymously by Puget Sound Blood Center employees.