Puget Sound Blood Center

Updated August 14, 2014
Updated August 14, 2014
2.2

James P. AuBuchon

Well organized with clearly defined roles. Little room for vertical growth.

I worked at Puget Sound Blood Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Puget Sound Blood Center has employees who have worked in their departments for more than ten years. They have a close knit yet very professional culture. The people know their responsibilities, the positions are well defined, and the SOPs are clearly written. Those in leadership were respectful, kind and knowledgeable. My coworkers seemed to enjoy working for this company.

Cons

Vertical movement at Puget Sound Blood Center occurred very infrequently. Developing a management/ advancement track is a possibility.

Lacks focus on human resources

Current Employee - Donor Resources Representative
    Current Employee - Donor Resources Representative

I have been working at Puget Sound Blood Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible scheduling- independence to manager ones own schedule- however, far too much micro-managing. The best part of working here were the external facing facets- the opportunity to work with caring, committed community members. Also, despite shared frustrations about the demands on the job and the lack of work/life balance, there is a certain passion and 'grit' that binds employees together. I loved my coworkers.

Cons

NO work/life balance- the workload was not evenly;y distributed. People work hard because they care about the mission but are not acknowledged nor rewarded for it. Absolutely no opportunities for career growth or advancement despite high performance reviews. Organization was very political and even donors and volunteers had the feeling PSBC started to care more about the research and their reputation than anything else. I didn't feel like my supervisor had my back- everyone in my department was miserable and frustrated and totally burnt out and it seemed like management was oblivious to it all and unwilling to make any positive changes or accept new ideas to improve work environment and efficiencies.

Stick up for your employees, care about them. Know that most people who work there care deeply about the mission and if you invested in them, they could be your competitive advantage and greatest asset.

Disappointed in the blood centers direction

I have been working at Puget Sound Blood Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

When I started it was one of the most organized non-profits I'd worked for as part of a great team. I felt supported and like the work I was doing was important. Things have changed drastically in the last 2-3 years. The job comes with a lot of flexibility and generous PTO (though you have to use PTO for holidays so keep that in mind).

Cons

As soon as new administration took over the blood center became very top heavy. I think some of the changes that happened were a cause ofchanges in the medical profession, Healthcare Reform, and trying to stay afloat in difficult times with hospitals merging and blood banking becoming more competitive. But there became more focus on getting as much blood as possible to sell out to other contracts. There is now more pressure to accomplish these goals with less support, pay stagnation and chipping away of benefits for employees- most recently they stopped providing coffee and tea for employees to cut back on costs. Employees are definitely low on morale and I hope they take some time to invest back in staff when they have the opportunity.

Staff feel undervalued. Take some time to give back and make sure they feel supported. This includes investing in management and not leaving management positions open for over a year when the team needs the support. Also we used to have opportunities to provide feedback on our supervisors, and this hasn't happened in recent years and would be productive to share feedback and suggestions - just another sign that management doesn't care what we have to say.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Really poor management, company only cares about money

I worked at Puget Sound Blood Center

Pros

nothing really. I was employed for 7 years with this company, and it just kept getting worse.

Cons

Really poor management. Poor staff morale due to layoffs and over expectations from management. Our manager was not qualified for the position and was only hired due to sleeping with the top executive. The department went downhill after she was promoted to the position.

My experience working with donors has been fantastic. The company recognizes those that donate.

I worked at Puget Sound Blood Center

Pros

There are programs in place that support and thank donors on a continuous basis. The tree of life with donation names on the leaves is just one example of their daily thanks.

Cons

Some challenges exist that reside with upper management not knowledgeable about the operations. There is a very heavy workload and not enough support to complete tasks on time.

Recognize staff as much as the donors.

Used to be a great place to work.

I worked at Puget Sound Blood Center full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Staff are dedicated to and passionate about the mission.

Cons

Nickle and diming staff with benefit decreases and salary stagnation; management appears to have little to no concern about abhorrently low staff morale and lack of career development and growth.

Listen to non-management staff at least once in while; involve non-management staff in decision making. Management has shown to have poor decision making skills.

Work for money hungry executives under a "non profit" community serving facade

I have been working at Puget Sound Blood Center full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Like other people said, it's a paycheck.
    The volunteers are an amazing blessing.

Cons

No raises in the last 2 years (except for the top paid executives, of course) Culture is horrible, worst morale I've seen at any job. Strict adherence to operating procedures is expected under super stressful work circumstances (overbooking of donors and under-staffing), frequent and sometimes unnecessary change to policies, and requires the ability to do the same repetitive tasks on a daily basis, with a smile. Also, very little advancement opportunities unless you're in with the right people.

Pay hourly staff what they deserve. Quit cutting benefits and consider taking less for yourself. Puget Sound Blood Center is parading around as a non profit, but does not act like one.

Nice non-profit

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Puget Sound Blood Center full-time

Pros

PTO, caring employees, good for the community

Cons

too much to do - struggling to get it done, moral isn't great in several areas

ensure have the right infrastucture

Great people, as a whole though, resistant to new ideas

I have been working at Puget Sound Blood Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

They do good work and the people who work there make it a caring environment. Benefits are awesome.

Cons

Ideas brought forward are not acknowledged, there's not much collaboration between departments so it can be inefficient. The organization is rigid when it comes to change.

Your employees care about the work you do. Acknowledge and honor their creativity and insight.

Constant change

I have been working at Puget Sound Blood Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome coworkers, decent cross department communication

Cons

Everything changes every day based on the last inspection. Benefits constantly shrinking. Top down management that does not work. Staff does not feel they are being listened to. Wrong people in positions given to them by people in management.

Listen to your staff and when your told of an issue don't ignore it.

Worked for Puget Sound Blood Center? Contribute to the Community!