Puget Sound Energy

Kimberly J. Harris

34 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good solid company

Bellevue, WA

ProsGood work life balance, Opportunity to move through the organization. Great people. Safety is a priority and the company really does care and has great safety promotion programs as well as wellness programs. Retirement programs are very good.

ConsOften too much red tape and paperwork to get things done. Similar to working for the government with much bureaucracy. IT department needs to stabilize. Technology is slow to catch up to current standards in the industry.

Ruthless

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsYou're working for a pretty good cause. Everyone needs electricity.

ConsUnclear roles. While some are fine, many managers are inept. Some departments (and some projects in particular) are flush with cash, others have to go begging. There were a series of major initiatives while I was there that crashed and burned, costing the company many millions of dollars. Few repercussions were felt by those that made this happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a real, honest look at what you spend customer money on. And fix your PTO policies - they encourage sick people to come to work!

Great place to work for...

STE (Former Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsGreat traditional American corporation working culture.

ConsAll department separate and have own analyst for each team. Each team has unique way doing or conducting work.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnify the system through all teams in the PSE.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to work

Corporate Communications (Former Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsFast-paced invironment with a lot of great minds surrounding your. Great support team that are there to help you grow. They really care about you getting a great experience. This is like an entry-level job, not an internship. You will be given a lot of real work to do, not just intern tasks.

ConsA lot of change going on inside the Corporate Communications department in the past few years.

Glad I left

Manager (Former Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsGood work-life balance and benefits, strong commitment to green energy and the community, decent compensation.

ConsPSE used to be a very warm and friendly place to work; however it has progressively gotten colder and more "corporate". The culture has become impersonal and is lukewarm at best, which is a real shame. Many hard-working and dedicated employees have left in droves and a number of well-regarded leaders (at least by their employees) have "retired" and been replaced unceremoniously. Decisions are not transparent and communication is lacking. Trust in many departments, including my former department, is very low.

Great work-life balance, limited development opportunities, nonexistent excitement.

Bellevue, WA

ProsWork life balance is strong here, for the most part. Most people are friendly and genuine in the lower ranks of the organization. I have met some really great people here. Benefits are pretty good though getting worse for newer employees.

ConsFire drills are constant. Change is preached but politics drive the organization. Not many inspiring leaders to look up to, more just managers. Things move really slow, especially those with any innovative element. A culture of fear exists in some departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job on people development. The company has invested a lot in it but I think for the most part it's superficial. You can only go so far with classes on how to deal with change.

Operations

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsGood benefits. Flexible working hours, but that depends on the management.

ConsLack of respect for one another.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen what people have to say.

Hard place to work but the people are great to work with

Bellevue, WA

ProsPeople are great, creative and smart. They truly have the customers' best interests at heart and as a group can and do move the world when there are impacts to the customer.

ConsFundamental processes are broken across the organization; lots of resistance to change and implementation of new technologies (we've always done it this way, why change now), a lot of cronisim

Great place if you are not overly ambitious

Bellevue, WA

ProsGreat benefits and a lots of opportunity to learn. I have worked with a lot of really good, really dedicated people.

ConsThere have been a lot of shake-ups lately and that has impacted morale. PSE is very old school when it comes to career progression. You can learn a lot if you want to, but learning and excelling will not get you promoted unless someone above you happens to leave. We lose a lot of good people because of this.

Not as good as it used to be.

Bellevue, WA

ProsGreat employees who care about each other. A lot of focus at the employee level on giving our customers outstanding service...it is nice to work with people who care about what they do for the customers. Pretty friendly and casual work environment. OK pay and pretty good benefits. It is nice to work for a company that provides an essential public need (as opposed to making widgets).

ConsThe company is changing without a plan. Our new CEO has vision, but doesn't know how to implement it with her management team. Many of the directors and managers have only worked here and can't handle change so it becomes chaos for the majority of the employees. Alternatively, they are from other industries (Starbucks, Microsoft, etc.) and don't understand the unique nature of running a utility. It is constant chaos and "flavor of the week" around here and the employee and customer suffer.

We have become more of an IT company and less of a hands-on utility. This used to be like a big family, but we have had so many retirements and so many new people coming in (who don't always stay more than a few years) that the family feeling is going away.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a minute to breath. Running a utility is not rocket science. We have no competition and a captive customer base. Let's focus on providing a good product to our customer and not having constant fire drills by leaders who are in over their heads.

Worked for Puget Sound Energy? Contribute to the Community!

Puget Sound Energy Videos

Puget Sound Energy – Why Work for Us?

PSE Primer During our more than 135-year history one thing has remained constant: PSE's focus on safe, reliable, affordable energy service. And we're proud of our legacy: a commitment to great customer service and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Puget Sound Energy reviews and ratings in Bellevue, WA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Puget Sound Energy CEO Kimberly J. Harris. All 34 reviews posted anonymously by Puget Sound Energy employees.