Puget Sound Naval Shipyard Reviews

CEO

1. Clerk Timekeeper in 1986

Former Employee - Clerk Time Keeper in Bremerton, WA
    Former Employee - Clerk Time Keeper in Bremerton, WA

I worked at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Position of recording shop employee's time from muster sheets or computer sent time.

Cons

Second shift - hard to manage family needs

Advice to Management

No advice needed - according to chain of command - was an excellent job in 1986

2. Decent, not great

I have been working at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard full-time

Pros

The work you are a part of is cool and the commander is a great leader, the government offers competitive benefits although salaries are not great

Cons

Industrial, occasionally dangerous environment, situated in a very poor and small city, office jobs lack professionalism, education not as highly valued as in the private sector

Advice to Management

none

Radiological controls tech

Current Employee - Physical Science Technician in Bremerton, WA
    Current Employee - Physical Science Technician in Bremerton, WA

I have been working at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, always full time, great benefits, they are really good about hiring vetrans.

Cons

If you don't like working overtime this job isn't for you. You can sometimes get told to work off station for 1-4 months with little notice.

5. Great job

I have been working at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard full-time

Pros

It's a great job. the benefits are awesome. My Boss is very respectful. Co-workers are always positive and happy. work load is reasonable.

Cons

Mostly busy work. not a lot of high level calculations. Upper management isn't very good management. could be a lot better.

6. Great job if traveling is an interest.

I have been working at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard

Pros

The benefits are good. Good retirement plan

Cons

The hours and travel that are required

Sad.

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Bremerton, WA
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Bremerton, WA

I worked at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You never have to work, if that sort of thing makes you happy. You get to go out on navy ships which is interesting. Plenty of time off if you are an office worker and actually use your vacation. The United States tax payers pay you obscenely well for the large amounts of OT and travel you will have to endure.

Cons

An abridged list: Management and Culture: There is rampant family nepotism here, particularly involving the LDS church, to the point where there was an internal investigation. Because getting fired is unheard of, promotion is often used as the only way to evict lousy employees out of a department, resulting in a scum of idiots floating to the top of the bucket. Sexism is widespread and almost all of my female engineer coworkers have since quit. Ineffectual unions mire work and drain tax dollars. Above all, a choking miasma of endless layers of complacency and self-righteousness infest the docks, the work, and the dour cement buildings that house the management. Coworkers: The hiring guidelines here specifically state to recruit only engineering graduates with lower GPAs for fear that more intelligent workers will quickly leave due to boredom, frustration, and anger. This means that you get to meet, suffer, and then watch truly abhorrent people (physically [yes, with their fists] & emotionally abusive, fraudulent, narcissistic) literally win cash rewards from the fools in charge. I’ve met only five people in my life who I hope no other human will have to endure; 3 of them, like maggots in a corpse, were happily burrowed at PSNS. Work and Working conditions: This is a maintenance yard for giant complex war machines (the Melters of Innocents as I like to call them) and almost no new design is done here. 95% of the “engineers” are only there to read, interpret, edit, and sign paper work (all using frustrating decades old technology) so it can then be passed down through the gauntlet of bureaucracy until, hundreds of man-hours later, a bolt is turned exactly 90deg CCW… oh wait, the wrench is the wrong color and/or the mechanic isn’t union certified on that bolt!! Start over. Most minds, both engineering and technician, are so atrophied from years of blindly followings reams of procedures, that it would be very dangerous if anyone had a creative thought. The work reserved for “engineers” is only just procedural planning and should be done by the people who know it best: ex sailors and mechanics. But the broken hierarchy represses this valuable class and rarely lets them raise in ranks. For anyone to make even lateral moves here is in for a long and difficult fight. The yard itself is a crusty, industrial, giant span of old buildings, workshops, warehouses, and dry docks. Offices are dingy at best, gulag chic at worst: cement blocks stuffed with cube farms, stained carpets, and few windows, ranging in size from trailers to 9 story buildings. On my last day at work the local wharf rats made a big mess of my desk (I was sitting in 3rd floor of one of the main office buildings) but by that time I was used to them; just another part of working at PSNS. Perhaps like the management, they were just frustrated to see another worker leaving. Overall ethics: I once found out the Navy was happily purchasing $1 bolts for seventy times their value. Thousands of them, for decades. This issues was begrudgingly righted after I fought for it for 3 months. Then I found that the same thing was occurring with simple O-rings. This is a place that charges 10cents per ketchup packet in their dirty little cafeterias, and yet has literally the largest money-wasting infrastructure in the known universe, across the street. Even if one does support our nations’ endless haphazard military adventures, it is obvious that modern wars render ineffectual most of the Cold-war weaponry that is being maintained at PSNS at a stupefying huge cost to the taxpayer. Working here, it didn’t take me long to realize that President Dwight Eisenhower farewell warning had come true. On the day that the Navy killed Bin Laden, there was no celebration in the shipyard, no parades, no articles in the little news rag. No one cared that the entire reason why we were at war for a decade, and thus were all employed, had come to a crescendo and certainly no one lost a night’s sleep over whether we might be laid off for a lack of a war to support! No one cared because PSNS, the Navy, and war is not about this any longer. It is only another business, like Apple or Exxon, syphoning tax money to Northrop Grumman, Electric Boat, and Raytheon. Please, think twice about working here.

Advice to Management

Quit. When I went around and told you I was leaving, all I heard was stories about how they wish they had left 20 years ago to follow their engineering dreams. It was as sad as euthanizing a broken old dog.

8. nuclear engineer

Former Employee - Nuclear Engineer in Bremerton, WA
    Former Employee - Nuclear Engineer in Bremerton, WA

I worked at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of time off. If you are lazy and useless, this is a dream job for you!

Cons

-There were weeks were I literally wasn't allowed to work on anything. I would leave the shipyard and walk to Starbucks, pick fruit, go for runs, etc. - This place doesn't engineer anything. You would be lucky to manage a project. - Don't expect to move to a different position without the childish managers gettung their panties in a twist. - They actually make you take classes with memorization tests. If you can spew out information onto a piece of paper, you are considered smart. - I would rather have an ice pick lobotomy than walk through the gates at this place again.

Advice to Management

Have you ever felt....... anything? What kind of lifeless being would want to be a manager at this place?

9. good starting point

I have been working at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard

Pros

Travel, time-off, work/life balance, laid back culture

Cons

opportunities for growth, managers have little power to promote change

Advice to Management

Provide means to grow beyond going to another company/location

10. it's a job

I have been working at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard

Pros

the people are amazing, federal benefits are nice, overtime on top of salary, pockets of innovation and technology, ability to move laterally from job to job

Cons

management second guesses all decisions, turf wars and inability for different groups to work together, the higher you go the more incompetent people get

11. It's trading time for money

Current Employee - Nuclear Engineer in Bremerton, WA
    Current Employee - Nuclear Engineer in Bremerton, WA

I have been working at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits Decent promotion Ability to make lateral moves to different departments Possibly cool stuff to work with

Cons

A bunch of little stuff that adds up. -Paying for parking (Up to $140/month expense) -Traffic in the area (One lane road for about 10,000 workers) -The computer systems are frustrating, disorganized, and in many cases built on ideas that are about 30 years old. It's not that the computers themselves are that old, but the way work is done is very antiquated, and desperately needs to be updated. -Bringing me to my next issue (a bigger one). The place is very resistant to change. Ideas for how to improve a system, how to change a process, etc. are often met with the attitude of "Well. this is just how it's done here." Meaning there are often times when stupid nonsense gets in the way of doing work, or doing work better. I have been working there for a short time, but I am no stranger to government work (Military for 8 years), and this place takes the cake for paperwork, bureaucracy, and painfully slow pace of getting some things done. Keep in mind, this is all from the nuclear engineering work side of the yard. I can't speak for what it is like other places.

Advice to Management

Who am I to judge? I have never been in charge of such a large group of people or such a large system.

RSS Feed </> Embed