Puget Sound Security

Reset
1.7
George Schaeffer

1. Patrol Driver

I have been working at Puget Sound Security full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Low supervision - most accountability is held through various tracking apps on a company phone (at least, for the drivers). If you don't like working with a manager looking over your shoulder, this is a nice job. Low effort - not to belittle the security aspect, but this is definitely an entry level position. Most jobs with this company simply require you to be attentive and observant. You may occasionally interact with people (clients or otherwise), but if anything serious actually happens your main job is to call the police. Stability - this company has been around for quite a while. Despite the high turnover rate (they seem to struggle to replace people at times), I don't see this company failing any time soon. Overtime opportunities - again, there is a high turnover rate here. If you let them know you are willing to work extra to cover scheduling gaps and call-ins you are likely to get the extra hours.

Cons

Unpredictable schedules - your best bet for getting a job here is by telling them you are available any day, any time. They will take you up on that offer, often with graveyard shifts. Also, schedules are only made a week in advance so you do not have much notice for making plans. Many positions will fall into predictable schedules, but it is not uncommon to cover extra shifts at random. Little to no training - you will receive general training when you are hired, but very few positions get specific training and instructions. You will often need to work out what is required of you from limited directions, and usually your best bet for clear direction is to get the client contact number from the office and ask them yourself. Budget equipment - the company-issued uniforms are kind of low quality. They work, but they could be better. I actually met someone once while I was on a daytime post that commented on the uniform, saying they ran a different security company. Puget Sound seems to have a reputation in the industry... Additionally, most vehicles are older and minimal maintenance is done on them. If something is broken, report it constantly or they are liable to forget about it.

Advice to Management

Hire competent guards, I have seen more than a few that barely know what they're doing. There was also one specific example I once saw of a guard that knew he couldn't work the site right and told you so, yet you scheduled him there anyway. Eventually he actually messed something up and you moved him. When I saw that, I saw it from the client's perspective. What does that make us look like, putting people that can't do the job there? What kind of service is that? Fix your scheduling issues. Schedule things a bit further in advance, even just a week earlier would be good. It's not fun to learn on Tuesday that you are suddenly scheduled to work Thursday, or even at midnight on Wednesday.

2. Worst company around

I worked at Puget Sound Security full-time

Pros

- Over 40hr work weeks - Free uniforms - Don't have to buy patches - Driving, unarmed security and dispatch postions - Will hire you on the spot

Cons

- If you request time off you will be mocked. - Highest turn over rate. They hire 3-7 new employees a week. - Low paying positions only - They do not pay holiday pay (Veteran that was NOT payed for Fourth of July) - Gave my two week notice and my last paycheck was minimum wage. - Attempted to convince me I did not get overtime for pay weeks split up by pay periods - Verbal harassment of employees - Over charged a client and attempted to take the difference out of my paycheck. - No direct deposit, due to the payroll account coming out of the owners personal account - Over worked scheduler that constantly makes mistakes and attempts to pin them on the employees - Guard license fees are collected off your paycheck - They change the recruitment incentive bonus period so they don't have to pay it - Refused to supply me with my pay stubs

Advice to Management

You need to hire another scheduler. Having one person dedicated to it is killing your business and him. The payroll account should not be in the CEOs name. Mocking individuals who work more then 40+hrs a week is unacceptable. Everyone needs to make a living wage, but feeling like you're going to get ridiculed and fired for asking for a day off is unacceptable.

3. Don't do it

I worked at Puget Sound Security

Pros

Do bit work here, you will regret it

Cons

They make promises they will never keep and if a contract ends and there are no sites in the area then they actually fight so you can't get your unemployment. Does not help that all of dispatch are unprofessional and will lie about any conversation you ever have with them

Advice to Management

Keep your promises and stop turning a blind eye to dispatch they get ruder and curse me out every week almost, this is most the guy in dispatch.

5. Stay a mile away from this company!!

Former Employee - Security Guard in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Security Guard in Seattle, WA

I worked at Puget Sound Security

Pros

One perk about this job is there is lots of overtime but that it if your desperate for money.

Cons

Lots of cons: 1.) Trains cost: $300, Licence fee: $27.75, TWIC Card $128, Uniform clearning $30 = $484.75 F.. dollars when you leave the company. 2.) No benefits: no health insurance, no short term disability, no long term disability, no dental, no 401k etc.. 3.) You will lose your mind been along for 12 hours along 4.) Long commute to work 20-30 miles to make minimum wage!! Not worth the wear and tear on your car and gas. You essentially make 7 -8 buck an hour with the cost of long commute and gas!! 5.) Lastly you don't even get paid for one of the training days which is 8 hours! And then they have the ball to deduct all that on training cost of you check!!

Advice to Management

First don't expect people to work 60+ hours a week, week after week. Looks at my cons and work on improving on those!!

6. There is an ongoing effort to improve

Current Employee - Security Officer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Puget Sound Security full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can see an effort to improve how this company works. Increased training at the start of your job and new technology are being used. I like the direction

Cons

Advancement is not much of a possibility unless you ask for it. So ask for it.

Advice to Management

Keep working on improving. It would be nice to see upper management visit us officers

7. You deserve better than to work here

Former Employee - Security Officer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Puget Sound Security full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice, black uniforms. Plenty of hours. The sewed on badge is convenient-no more losing or broken badges. Had some sites that were close to home. Was good work when I didn't actually need to call the company for assistance.

Cons

Horrible, narcissistic management. This company is "owned" by several people so you do not feel like you are working for a corporation. Instead you feel disrespected and always on edge. This company provides NO TRAINING at sites and yet has no problems yelling at you if you make mistakes. When you do call and ask for assistance you are often given sarcastic responses to your questions. You are then blamed if anything goes wrong.

Advice to Management

Drop the narcissism. Stop bullying guards. Stop intentionally intimidating guards who who voice legit complaints about the toxic work management environment or the chronic miscommunication due to managers not being effective leaders or communicators. Stop bullying guards by taking them off the schedule for little or no reason. Stop writing inflammatory or bullying emails to guards. Stop demanding on a whim that guards travel all the way to Bellevue for meetings with management when you don't even answer phone calls, emails or provide site training. Stop writing "success articles" when you don't even practice what you preach. The company has a really bad rep for mistreating guards.

Horrible company to work for

I worked at Puget Sound Security full-time

Pros

The only reason to work for this company is the measly pay checks, they will also give you steady hours but will screw you over at any other chance they get

Cons

The communication with management is shaky at best, they will also fire you without notice for stuff that you dont do, dont work for them unless you're desperate

9. Puget Sound Security Patrol

Current Employee - Security Guard in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Security Guard in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Puget Sound Security full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It really is a decent company and have worked around many scheduling issues I have head.

Cons

Like many contract security companies, there is little to no room for advancement, and since contracts are awarded to the lowest bidder, the pay rates are not exactly the best.

Advice to Management

Be more consistent with scheduling, and in what you quote officers as their payrate.

RSS Feed </> Embed