Pulte Homes

www.pultegroupinc.com

Pulte Homes Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Pulte Homes President, CEO, and Director Richard J. Dugas Jr.

Richard J. Dugas Jr.

Pros
  • Medical, Dental 401k benefits are good(in 6 reviews)

• All my years (12 as an employee and another 5 as a contractor) I was surrounded with great people(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes difficult to have quality work life balance(in 4 reviews)

• Ups and downs of the housing market(in 6 reviews)

Antiquated purchasing systems...

ProsGood training, good compensation, smart people.

ConsDesigning a purchasing system around an excel document is bonkers

Advice to Senior ManagementTrash Purchase Pro and buy off the shelf.

It's a great place to work

Systems Engineer II (Current Employee) Bloomfield Hills, MI

ProsAll my years (12 as an employee and another 5 as a contractor) I was surrounded with great people. Company has great culture, everyone (in IT at least) can contribute to the processes and change them, or at least can be heard.

ConsIf they only stay in Michigan, I would say "nothing".

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to keep the same culture in new place.

I worked for Centex, they were a good company.

New Home Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsPay is fair. Benefits are good. The company was bought out as I was leaving, so I am not sure how things have changed from Centex to Pulte. Austin was the number one division in the company, but the rest of the market was bringing them down.

ConsLike all companies in new home sales, politics and neighborhood location dictate rather or not you are successful. If you can sell you can survive, as long as you are on the right side of politics.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

worked at pulte for ten years

Construction Management (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsIf properly received, training allows you to do your job well

ConsPay freeze upon reaching the top of your "range". Subs are cheapest available

Advice to Senior Managementget some better quality subs

Former Senior Leader

(Former Employee)

Pros1. The hard working and extremely dedicated people working on the front lines in the companys' various Divisions that consistently deliver outstanding results to the customer despite the illogical, incomprehensible and wasteful corporate initiatives that the CEO continues to dream up to save his own skin.
    2. The compensation for most employees is above the industry range, primarily because if they weren't most quality people wouldn't tolerate all of the corporate nonsense that negatively impacts every employee.
    3. Some high quality Division leaders and managers. As a new employee you currently have about a 40% chance of working for a good one but that number continues to go down.

Cons1. The employee culture has been completely devastated over the past 5 years by the CEO. This powerful but narcissistic man has single-handedly removed the company founder after 50 years, taken his position as chairman of the Board and then carefully removed "problem" Board members with "sympathetic" ones. This strategy is also widely and effectively employed with managers that don't "comply and agree" which has caused a sad and unprecedented destruction of a once great culture.
    2. The company's products and processes have become one size fits all. The company does not value innovation or creative thought from employees and in fact, they continue to "de-select" these employees in favor of compliant, process driven, robot-like personnel. The bulk of the leadership has been changed from operationally experienced leaders to Finance leaders. Not all bad, unless of course you're talking about a HOMEBUILDER.
    3. The HR department has transformed from a once useful and culture focused team into a massive bureaucracy that has become nearly as unwieldy and inefficient as our very own IRS and requires about the same amount of paperwork to remain "compliant." This is a sinister bunch that should not be taken lightly and should not be trusted.
    4. The company employees a massive legal department to defend the thousands of lawsuits they have been served with over the past five years as the result of shoddy workmanship, unscrupulous conduct and mistreatment of employees. The significant waste associated with defending these activities leaves the Divisions underfunded and understaffed while the corporate machine grows. Have you seen the new headquarters in Atlanta? I think thats where the CEO started his career with the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs it appears to be far too late to appeal to the Board or to Senior Company leadership, my advice is to all of the stockholders big and small; look very closely at what has been going on in this company for the past 5 years as it relates to the actions of the CEO. A microscopic investigation may reveal that all is not as it seems. In these days and times is it really appropriate to have a CEO that also serves as a Chairman of a hand picked Board for a $7 billion dollar company? This is as close to absolute power that you can get and we all know what absolute power does, don't we?

Company Has Been Ruined Since Pulte's Founder, Retired

Purchasing (Former Employee) Fort Myers, FL

ProsFast Paced Environment, Excellent Opportunities for Professional and Career Development

ConsThe current CEO has successfully destroyed the company once known as Pulte Homes. Once Pulte's founder retired, the current CEO implemented programs that went against everything that we had learned under Bill's leadership. He continued to destroy the Pulte Culture by merging with Centex, which was a colossal disaster in itself, and firing outstanding Pulte senior leaders with many years of successful leadership experience because they didn't necessarily agree with his new company "vision" . His coup de grâce was uprooting the corporate office from a state/region that has supported the company for over 50 years, which will result in a loss of hundreds of jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf the People are truly the most important assets to the company like all of the canned speeches say they are, then Executive Leadership need to value the people that make the company successful.

Interesting

Sales (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsThe unique relationships you develop across all lines of business.

ConsManagement says they listen to their people but in reality it's one sided communication on part of the corporate giant

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop and maintain relationships with your employees and you shall retain the best talent

One of the best home builders to work for.

ProsThey placed a high value on employee development.
    Great compnay history and culture.

ConsHigh stress at times. Quarter ends required very long days and weekends. Sometimes difficult to have quality work life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't cut employee development programs when downsizing

Great company with good benefits

Customer Relations Manager (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsGreat culture, fun meetings and plenty of after work activities to help build your team. The people I worked with were friendly and helpful.

ConsThe last quarter of the year is brutal as they try to cram almost half their closings with homes that are no where near homeowner ready. When different sections of the community are not being built, it gets really boring and you just sit around.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't have so many elaborate activities for employees. When the economy turns people would rather have their jobs vs. being laid off.

corporate driven

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat history and opportunity for advancement

ConsOver thinking every part of the business

Advice to Senior ManagementGive Brewery more power back to the divisions

Worked for Pulte Homes? Contribute to the Community!