Pulte Homes
www.pultegroupinc.com Bloomfield Hills, MI 1000 to 5000 Employees

Pulte Homes Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Pulte Homes President, CEO, and Director Richard J. Dugas Jr.

Richard J. Dugas Jr.

Pros:
  • "Great culture, cross-training, company events, good work/life balance, fun co-workers, good communication, room for growth"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Great people, quality of life, innovative technology"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Sometimes difficult to have quality work life balance"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Ups and downs of the housing market"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Pulte Homes, Scottsdale AZ. All about the show.

Construction Management (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Pulte Homes full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAt its core, Pulte is a very well structured and professional company. They are also one of the largest home builders in the world which certainly lends them a lot of clout. Also, being a publicly traded company means there are not a lot of "owners-whim" issues to deal with.

ConsThere always seemed to be a lot of "pet-projects" going on, that took up a huge amount of time and money. Many of these projects were obvious failures, but depending on who's project it was, would be pushed through long after they should have been allowed to die.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand fully what the ramifications are on some of those disfunctional projects and kill them early if they need killing.

Decent out of college job

Superintendent (Former Employee)
Orlando, FL

I worked at Pulte Homes full-time for more than a year

ProsPaid very well but expected long hours/weekends from entry level employees.

ConsLong hours and manual labor for people they hired as full time professional staffing

Advice to Senior ManagementActually do some of the work

I had a positive experience, but it is unfortunate that the state of the industry required so much recent change

Customer Relations Manager (Former Employee)
Irvine, CA

I worked at Pulte Homes

ProsThe company culture was fun. The benefits were great. I had managers that were willing to let me make decisions.

ConsI felt that I was not getting paid enough or offered positions that I felt I was qualified for based on my previous work experience

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a close look at your employees and see where they will be a best fit for the company. They may offer more than what you are using them for

Experienced home builder

Field Manager (Former Employee)
Kapolei, HI

I worked at Pulte Homes

ProsLarge home builder of quality homes

ConsWe were not part of the merger of Pulte and Centex.

Good Ole' boy network and IT was VERY immature

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Tempe, AZ

I worked at Pulte Homes

Prosmedical benefits were good and some of the worker bees were good people. It was a laid back culture most of the time.

Consif you don't play along you go nowhere fast. I worked constant weekends and long hours only to have it turned against me as soon as things started going bad in the market. The funny thing is management would go on and on about 50 straight years of profit up until the crash. As soon as that happened it was no more bonus, no growth, and not even a Christmas party! It was shut up and work.

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to the people you hire and get behind them with support; not just empty words/promises. Stop with the fake culture.

Good leadership, but wrong message from the top

Customer Relations Manager (Current Employee)
Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Pulte Homes

ProsEffective leaders, trying hard to do what's right

ConsCompany direction is unpredictable and seems to switch way too often

This is a fun job with great opportunity to earn a good income.

Sales Professional (Current Employee)
Denver, CO

I have been working at Pulte Homes

ProsOffers an excellent opportunity to make a great living. The benefits package is second to none. Management is engaged, listens and offers good training. We have lots of fun!

ConsCompany can't seem to get out of its own way sometimes. These are tough times in the homebuilding business so be prepared for uncertainty. Weekend hours are a drag if you have a family.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need to focus more on what the market wants and less on what we think they want and our sales and margins will improve. Purchasing seems to dictate to the customer rather than the other way around.

A revolving door makes it hard to improve

Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
Nashville, TN

I worked at Pulte Homes

ProsGreat pay, best in the industry. Good training. Good advertising and model home staging.

ConsHaving two sales people at one community causes problems. I had to split my commission several times with a co-worker because they failed to ask the right questions or look up the person in the database before working with them. Pulte's contractors don't supervise their employees and their work is way below par. Though they make it right, it causes angst with customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay for good contractors, they are worth the investment not only in cost, but in time and company reputation.

ok

Superintendent (Former Employee)
Stockton, CA

I worked at Pulte Homes

ProsGood, energetic people that for the most part like what they do. Management was usually easily approachable.

ConsHome building can get very boring. Often becomes a babysitting job.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold subcontractors and superintendent to a higher standard of professionalism.

Once a company one could be proud to work for, now a rudderless organization trying to survive!

General Sales Manager (Former Employee)
Trevose, PA

I worked at Pulte Homes

ProsGreat place to learn homebuilding at one time! Prioir to the Centex debacle the company had a culture that was enjoyable and envigorating...all of that changed during the fall of 2009.

ConsToo few people, too much to do and a complete lack of regard for the customer...remember they are why you are in business!

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that nothing happens within a homebuilding organization until a home is sold and more importantly, to grow your business the organization needs to truly care for the "Customer for Life"...What Bill Pulte started as an 18 year old is now an organization that lacks any sense of consistency and a real regard for their customers...Good Luck with that!

Worked for Pulte Homes? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pulte Homes reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pulte Homes CEO Richard J. Dugas Jr. All 121 reviews posted anonymously by Pulte Homes employees.