Pumpkin Patch

Updated December 11, 2014
Updated December 11, 2014
2.6

CEO

Good, encouraging environment but not much room for working up

Former Employee - Temporary Sales Associate in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Temporary Sales Associate in Vienna, VA

I worked at Pumpkin Patch

Pros

Pumpkin Patch is a very encouraging work environment. There is a diverse group of employees from many different backgrounds including but not limited to parents, high school and college students, and young singles. There is always something to do with such a large amount of clothes (straightening up, organizing racks, etc). The customer base is easy to deal with, not the normal retail customers because they are with their children and on their best behavior.

Cons

There aren't very many opportunities to move up in the company, especially if this is your first retail job. There is no commission, which can make workloads seem a little uneven at times.

Should encourage the employees more to do their best and move forward!

AWFUL PLACE TO WORK!!!!!

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Killingworth, CT
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Killingworth, CT

I worked at Pumpkin Patch part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Managers of each of the Pumpkin Patch Centers are wonderful

Cons

The Owner, Patricia Serviss, is a terrible person to work for: the pay/salary for EVERY position is dreadfully low, she does not know how to effectively manage her business, she talks down to her employees, she is extremely cheap (especially when it comes to resources for the children) and she has an incredibly large employee turnover rate as a result of her poor business and people skills.

Patricia Serviss needs to continue to sell each an every one of her Pumpkin Patch locations (*which I heard has actually begun...thankfully).

Terrible staff

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Brisbane (Australia)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Brisbane (Australia)

I worked at Pumpkin Patch part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay was better than other places

Cons

- Workers talk down to you esp if you are younger
    - Treat you dumb
    - No benefits
    - No support from management
    - Lazy management
    - Small stock room
    - lack of respect for a human being
    - Lots of back stabbing and stealing other people's sales
    - Racist workers

A couple of times, they had rung me and told me that I had to come into work in 1 hour because they didn't correctly roster the calendar. Multiple times, I had to cancel my plans with friends, family and doctors due to the lack of organisation. Even when I asked if they had called everyone else, my manager would say that she had and no one else was available. I came into work the next day and asked multiple coworkers who didn't work the day before, if they had received a call asking them to come in but all of them said: No I didn't get a call but I could have worked yesterday because I was just at home....

TLDR: Management lies to be lazy.

This company has been the worst place I have ever worked. I am so glad I left because the managers made me cry, put my health in jeopardy and I encountered racist duty managers who would say rude things to asians and make children cry. Honestly, get RID of all the old ladies who can't do their job properly!

Good experience in retail.

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Townsville (Australia)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Townsville (Australia)

I worked at Pumpkin Patch part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent to work for. Great discounts. Discounts are capped but you can use for family members. Can buy shares in company. Products sell themselves. Easy computer system to learn. Stocktake nights were fun. I had an excellent manager.

Cons

Stock room was very small. As long as staff member kept it organised you could navigate it.

Good remuneration package

Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in Pulau Pinang (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in Pulau Pinang (Malaysia)

I have been working at Pumpkin Patch part-time (less than an year)

Pros

retain loyal employees and increase motivation

Cons

make the employees feel too proud of the company and look down on other competitors

constant training and ethical training as well