Punch Taverns

Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Punch Taverns CEO Roger Whiteside

Roger Whiteside

Cool place to start or spend time when at uni. Friendly staff and flexible hours

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at Punch Taverns part-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible worjing hours. A lot of fun and free drinks. Teaches a lot of transferrible skills such as customer service, how to listen, how to wotk under pressure

ConsDoes not pay a lot. Nice bumps in the pay would keep a lot more people in the company and improve service levels. A

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure all the stuff speaks well in english

Climbing the ladder

DGM (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Punch Taverns full-time for more than a year

ProsGood at promoting people who show promise

ConsThe rates of pay could be better for the amount of hours worked. Not the best work life balance. However that could be down to GM

Advice to Senior ManagementNa

Holiday job, however there are obvious floors with worker moral and how they value their work.

Waiter (Former Employee)
Northampton, England (UK)

I worked at Punch Taverns

ProsGood friendly place to work, generally customers are nice! The management are allowing when time off is needed, although that varies from place to place.

ConsLittle or no chance of promotion unless you know the manager well, very political. Not a place for a long term career, but fine for a holiday job.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more of an incentive scheme for employees at the bottom and make sure that management treats all employees equally.

no acknowledgement for the employes who are not part of the management side of things.

Team Leader (Current Employee)
Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I have been working at Punch Taverns

Pros50% off food and drinks voucher each month in payslips.

Consno bank holiday pay, no christmas or new year time off, never any thank you for boosting profits, no reonisation that the company couldn't run without the general day to day staff, all praise goes to managers.

Advice to Senior Managementinclude staff in bonuses or a thankyou here or there would be just as nice.

Reasonable employer but insecurity is rife.

Manager (Former Employee)
Burton upon Trent, England (UK)

I worked at Punch Taverns

ProsGenerally good benefits, pay, holidays, staff discounts etc and there is a good approach to work life balance although this is very much dependant upon your individual line manager. The people are overall a great crowd to work with but this is obvioulsy only relevant to my time working there and will be constantly be changing depending upon who leaves / joins the company.

Good cafatria facilities in Station Street!

ConsVery departmentalised in that departments are very much out to further their own aims and 'protect their own backs'. Little cross functional team working and given the amount of sales of pubs, mergers, acquisitions etc and the constant state of flux the organisation appears to be in staff loyalty to the management and vice versa is worryingly absent.

Certainly during my time there was a great deal of uncertainty about peoples future with teh Punch acquisition of Spirit and my understanding of this from ex colleagues is that this is still pretty much the case. The organistion has grown dramatically and still appears to be in the 'storming' stage.

Advice to Senior ManagementStabilty - create it and be open with staff.

fast paced but can't keep up with themselves

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Punch Taverns

ProsFlexible working and good bonus

Conslack of transparency and fairness in processes. Tendancy to work on favorites.

Advice to Senior Managementembrace diversity and trust people to do their jobs. Plan and Communicate what you are doing. Present yourselves as a united front and keep your disagreements behind closed doors.

Worked for Punch Taverns? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Punch Taverns reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Punch Taverns CEO Roger Whiteside. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by Punch Taverns employees.