Puppet Labs

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014
4.3

Luke Kanies

Growing pains of a gentle giant

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Puppet Labs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

* Inclusive, friendly culture (guided by the CEO, Luke) where people try to be as nice a Portlanders can be. Also trying to be as diverse as Portland, that is, mostly of European descent but trying hard to add some variety.
    * High level of technical competence across the org; engineering, QA, docs, sales and support.
    * Potential to become a massive enterprise company that runs the Fortune 500's datacenters.
    * Focused on Open Source! In response to the other poster's statement that PE is cannibalizing POSS: I don't see that happening. POSS is a core part of the Puppet Labs offering, and the gateway... software to PE!
    * Good compensation. The salary is not as impressive as the Bay Area but the low cost of living and high livability of Portland more than makes up for that.
    * Shiny new office on the waterfront!
    * Growing in headcount and business every year!

Cons

* Rapid growth has led to some areas of the culture, toolchain and technology falling by the wayside but recent reorg and direction from the exec team is giving me optimism that things will improve.
    * Decision making is slow and cumbersome at times, due to endless, non-productive debate about what the "right" solution is, without attempting to just ship something and see how it fulfills user needs. Reorg/reculture is also targeting this.

* Keep iterating and refining! Don't let inertia, perfectionism, and cynicism slow us down!

Good culture, smart people, great place to develop skills

I have been working at Puppet Labs full-time

Pros

Exciting, diverse company with culture. CEO is awesome. Pretty swell benefits for a company this size. Practical time off policy. Great opportunities to learn a _ton_ and develop a lot of new skills.

Cons

Starting to get some "bigger company syndrome". Being a remote employee is increasingly feeling isolated - the people in Portland have a blast, it appears, and lots of little "perks". Travel heavy jobs have a horribly work/life balance, and risks burnout. Often overwhelming. Poor pay increase (< 3%).

Please keep remote employees in mind - especially those that travel heavily. Work/life balance needs some attention, there's symptoms of burnout and a risk of turnover of some good people.

Great interview process

I have been working at Puppet Labs full-time

Pros

Interview was 100% transparent. With each (minor!) delay I was told exactly what was happening. The all-day interview was thorough & not overwhelming.

Cons

Open space is a bit loud.

Keep doing what you're doing & connecting with as many people at every level in the company as possible.

Awesome place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Puppet Labs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There's a great combination of high energy and low pressure. The assumption is that you're competent, intrinsically motivated, and able to do your job, with nobody breathing down your neck. People leave at a reasonable time, and having a life outside of work is the norm.

You get the tools you need, work with some really smart people, and everybody treats each other as adults. It's amazing and I'm really happy. I don't know what it's like for other people, but my compensation is in line with industry norms, if not on the high side. I'm excited to go in every day and I could hardly imagine a better working environment.

Cons

It's hard for me to come up with cons because I'm pretty enthusiastic about the company.

One downside I see is the pressure to move in a more closed source direction as part of monetizing PE. Working on open source software is important to me, and I don't like to have to wonder whether it's okay to contribute to the open source side Puppet because it'd compete with things that differentiate PE. I know that nobody would actually get me in trouble for that, but I'm not sure what exactly would work at cross-purposes with the monetization strategy.

I'm very happy with the company altogether, but it's an area of concern for me. People less tied up in the open source movement might not care about that bit at all.

There's no need to give management feedback anonymously like this. I could talk with Luke or other higher-ups as needed. I haven't, simply because there seem to be smart people already aware of and working on the problems that I do see.

Interns are well treated, well paid.

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Portland, OR

I worked at Puppet Labs as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I interned there last summer, and had a blast. My boss went to a lot of effort to make sure the interns got the most out of the program. He put in a lot of hours making sure we got actual training on good software development, not just for the specific work we did there, but more general stuff like good database design and software design patterns (even if we never used them).

They also paid enough to actually make renting a room in Portland affordable, which is not to be sneezed at.

Cons

Nothing. I like it a lot.

How well a company treats its lowly interns says a lot about how they treat their employees in general. Keep up the good work.

Arrogant management, toxic teams, slim to zero potential for career management, does not appreciate current employees.

I have been working at Puppet Labs full-time

Pros

Free bagels on Mondays.
    Lax vacation and WFH policies.
    That's probably it.

Cons

Arrogant management — refuse to acknowledge imperfections in the company; constantly trying to feed us crap about how this is a great place to work while consistently ignoring employee complaints and failing to see /understand employee dissatisfaction.

Ridiculous review process — constantly changing; new system is terribly untransparent and does not compensate employees appropriately for work. Seen several team members constantly undervalued and never advance in career despite hard work and being deserving of it. Raises are a paltry 1 to 3% for many, despite good reviews and good funding, which is pretty insulting and unmotivating. There's currently a consistent exodus of old timers within the company and management is in denial about it (see previous point).

Managers and HR waves off poor compensation by pointing out "perks" like bagels, kegs in the office, and free lunch on Wednesdays. News flash alert — almost every startup has said perks, and does them a hell of a lot better than these jerks. Lots of employees would rather see those benefits in their bank accounts than wasted on cold, poorly catered lunches. Wake up.

Don't screw over old timers. Take a look at the people who've been here for a long time and wonder why they haven't advanced in a career — is it you or them? Stop thinking that you're the best company in Oregon. Because lots of us would work elsewhere in a heartbeat, bagels or no bagels.

Puppet Labs Response

Jul 14, 2014CEO

Hi,

I'm very sorry that you have had such a negative experience at my company. The experience is obviously unacceptable, and I will be working hard to see how much of it is shared and what we can
    ... More

Great place to work and learn

Current Employee - Support Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Support Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Puppet Labs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Management is very supportive of employees.
     - Training / conference budget.
     - Time off is on the honor system (aka you're treated like an adult)
     - A group of amazingly smart people.
     - 4 kegs and a Bond-style globe full of whiskey.

Cons

- 4 kegs and a Bond-style globe full of whiskey. (Too tempting.)

Keep doing what you're doing. Super focused on making a great product that solves problems that customers actually care about.

Excellent place to work

I have been working at Puppet Labs full-time

Pros

Strong company transparency and employee trust; comfortable work environment and perks (dogs, snacks, drinks); coworkers not afraid to speak their minds; coworkers actually care about the work they do.

Cons

No 'cons' that are out of the ordinary for reasonable humans.

my experience at puppet labs was not bad

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I worked at Puppet Labs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

one of the main pros about puppet labs was the overall great company morale. the work was great and very satisfying. i loved what i did.

Cons

one of the main cons about puppet labs was lots of back stabbing and politics.