Purdue Pharma

Add Photos

Mark Timney

Great Experience!

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsSuperior training, phenomenal compensation, a lot of independence

ConsWe needed new products to talk about

Great Experience

ProsGreat place for personal growth

ConsDon't really post pay scales

Good family owned company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFamily Friendly company for employees

ConsPoor marketing and Sales for new products

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Administrative Assistant/Convention Coordinator

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsI really liked the company while I was working in there. I learned a lot from my Directors, and Managers.

ConsLost my job there due to Company Restructure.

The closing down of the R&D department at the Cranbury, NJ site.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeople are cooperative and nice, but the management sucks.

ConsThe management team that ran the R&D department aground recently is both precocious and lack of charisma.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen I was let go recently, I didn't find out until the security asked for my badge when I was about to leave for the day. It was later learned that the management actually specifically instructed my supervisor not to inform me directly. Where is the professionalism and respect? A simple line is all it takes, like ... thank you for your service, but because the department is shutting down and there's no project / work, so we are letting you go now... it's disrespectful and childish.

Great culture, no pod, fun products!

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsNo POD selling, specialized products, great management development program, promote from within.

ConsHeavy on admin tasks, free text call notes

From the top on down they are respectful, honest and have a great deal of integrity.

Adminn (Current Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsThey genuinely care about each employee, personally and professionally.

ConsI did not have any negative experiences with Purdue.

Great company to work for

ProsGreat group of people to work with. Smart and hard working across all areas. some specific areas that this company stands out are:
    Compensation and benefits package
    On site cafeteria, gym, convenience store, dry cleaning
    Management support of Employees
    Reward and recognition

ConsPharmaceutical industry is an extremely challenging environment to be in these days so Purdue definitely needs to diversify its product portfolio while enhancing its forecasting

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to enhance communication across departments
    Need to disversify our product portfolio

This once incredible organization can still be saved, but until it is don't work here.

District Manager (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

Pros-Everyone knows everyone, the small company feel is unmistakable.
    -Upper Management goes out of their way to know everyone in the field force. You don't see that anymore.
    -If you are producing you are well taken care of.
    -The culture and values are there, there is no question that the company wants to do the right thing by their customers.
    -The solution is not difficult and the company could get back on track easily if it were willing to make the hard decisions.

Cons-Upper Management loves to tell stories of how successful they were 10-20 years ago. But they still manage as if it was 10-20 years ago. The lack of ride-alongs has left them so out of touch it's sad.
    -Every year they have an employee survey, in my 10+ years here I can say that the results are dead-on and always the same....because nothing changes as a result of the surveys.
    -The bonus program, which used to actually incentivize people to sell, is now a joke. If you are going to Purdue to be in sales, it's because there was an opening left by someone who knew better or was let go for reasons that lack evidence.
    -They used to promote people from within so that management would manage through experience. They are now hiring management from outside the company. Their reason? Not enough qualified candidates or people who want the mantle of leadership in the field force. Doesn't that tell you something about training and the management positions? More importantly, do you want someone managing you and reviewing you who has no clue as to what you're doing, how to do what you're doing and learns the product at the same time their direct reports do?
    -For every 1 person trying to get into Purdue there are 5 Purdue reps interviewing elsewhere and it's no secret.
    -The product pipeline died years ago. Many in the field have lost their jobs because of lagging sales, but those who choose the products we sell are still getting raises. One person I know compared it to putting old Dodge Darts on a Cadillac lot and firing those who don't sell the Darts.
    -The "Old Boy's Club" is alive and well and they are more than happy to let you know that you aren't in the club. There isn't a person in the field who doesn't learn that from day one.
    Solid management principles have given way to management by fear.
    -They got rid of their pension plan and the 401k has precious few ways to invest your money.
    -The biggest Con? There is not a person in the field who has been here more than a year who wouldn't agree to everything listed.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey don't take advice, but if they did I'd have just two pieces of advice...

Give the field the respect you gave them 15 years ago and you'll see the results you want. Standing at the podium at a National Meeting and saying we broke all records for a product launch but you're disappointed in our performance is not the way to go.

And if you are going to go with an open door policy don't put bear traps right inside the door. Everyone knows what happens when you go through the open door and I mean that. Everyone knows.

Working for Purdue

Senior Principal Scientist (Former Employee) Cranbury, NJ

Prosexcellent working environment, supportive colleagues, good benefits

Consno real negatives about this company

Worked for Purdue Pharma? Contribute to the Community!