Purdue University Calumet Reviews

3.5
CEO

1. Great university

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hammond, IN

I worked at Purdue University Calumet part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice, not huge school with small classes

Cons

Its hard to park a car sometime

Advice to Management

Great job

2. Teaching Assistant

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Hammond, IN
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Hammond, IN

Pros

Nice opportunity to work in university. Really happy during the lab teaching! Teaching is not only teaching, also learning - from the students, from Professor, from the knowledge that I'm strong with!

Cons

We used electronic tools during the labs, but one or two of them sometimes were broken. People working in workshop that contains the tools are really sad of it. I feel really sorry...

3. Teaching Assistant

I worked at Purdue University Calumet part-time

Pros

It was great to have part of my graduate school tuition paid by working part time at school. It was also rewarding to help other students.

Cons

They only cons might be dealing with difficult faculty. I was lucky enough to work with very helpful supervisors during my time there.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to plan out the coming semester earlier and hire grad assistants earlier so they have more notice. Also the lab facilities could be updated.

Supervisor

Pros

Beautiful campus. Noble purpose. Education is not a business, it is not manufacturing, it is not sales. Too bad leadership doesn't understand that fact.

Cons

Worthless chancellor and vice chancellors. No regard for staff. People are fired for little or no reason. This place needs a union. No raises for staff in four years.

Advice to Management

Daniels is combining North Central and Calumet. He is destroying all that made each a wonderful campus. Many Calumet staff leaders were fired or pushed out and replaced with younger North Central staff.

6. Purdue Cal

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hammond, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hammond, IN

I have been working at Purdue University Calumet full-time

Pros

Good retirement plan, educational assistance, great experience for students and adults alike. Work is relative to what you put in

Cons

The State of Indiana does not seem to value Higher Education and because of that there have been salary freezes for 5 of the last 7 years. That makes staying here for a younger person not too appealing.

Advice to Management

Please look at salaries for your employees - raises however large or small as a way to give persons a sense of worth. It really matters to people that they are recognized

Purdue is a very well organized, welcoming workplace.

Former Employee - Limited Term Lecturer in Hammond, IN
    Former Employee - Limited Term Lecturer in Hammond, IN

I worked at Purdue University Calumet part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was employed both by the English Language Program and the Communication Department, and I loved the professionalism and friendly atmosphere of both of these environments. I was constantly challenged, I always had new, exciting responsibilities, and there were plenty of opportunities for growth, but i never felt overworked or taken advantage of. The atmosphere was very professional, yet friendly. And with many different systems in place, it was a well organized workplace. This campus really values cultural diversity.

Cons

Unfortunately there has been a shift lately towards more business oriented practices.

8. Assistant Hall Director

I worked at Purdue University Calumet full-time

Pros

PUC allowed for great student professional development, departmental collaborations, and allowed for a great interaction with students. Overall, it provided an experience and career foundation that I will never forget.

Cons

PUC is a smaller campus and lacked the appropriate allocation of fundings. the pay was poor but the experience was profound.

Advice to Management

At times, it appeared that their was a political game in place that impacted the opportunity for advancement. I would recommend finding ways to allocate funding for professional development to entice staffing to stay with the university.

9. I am glad I took this job.

I have been working at Purdue University Calumet part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great for network expansion. They work around your school schedule. Great events where you can learn much from speakers.

Cons

It can be tiring.

10. Great campus

Pros

Great resource, great professors and staff

Cons

there is no significant cons and still have a space to grow.

11. Overworked, Underpaid, and POOR leadership can sum up Purdue Calumet!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hammond, IN

I worked at Purdue University Calumet full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You really get a chance to meet some great people, student, faculty, and staff included. On the faculty side, pay is a lot more attractive so the really good faculty members tend to stick around which is good for students.

Cons

Staff are underpaid, so people tend to use this place as a launching pad for their career, upper management realizes this and seem's to push talent away before they walk away. New staff is always hit and miss because they won't pay the talented people what they are worth. Insurance is extremely expensive. There is not a lot of opportunity for growth, they do not promote within. Raises are an insult, tax rates increase by more than annual raises

Advice to Management

Make sure you place people who are qualified to be in the position you place them in. Admitting mistakes goes a lot further than, riding with your bad decision to the end because you don't want to acknowledge a failure. IT departments are huge investments, place IT professionals over them to assure they are being run properly

RSS Feed </> Embed