Purdue University

Purdue University Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Purdue University President Mitch Daniels

Mitch Daniels

Pros
  • They treat their students well, and its certainly a great place to be in(in 24 reviews)

• The work-life balance is excellent with minimal overtime and a generous vacation policy(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Some might not like Lafayette/West Lafayette but I think it's a wonderful place(in 16 reviews)

• Also living in a small town there is not a lot to do and see(in 13 reviews)

Graduate Student

Graduate Student (Former Employee) West Lafayette, IN

ProsThe pros of attending the graduate culture were the potential to collaborate with engineers, biologists and different chemists were second to none.

ConsThe only cons of the graduate program were the slight difficulty in finding exactly who to look up when you need to have a problem solved.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe only advise to management would be to not be afraid to give honest constructive criticism. If something is unacceptable it needs to be known, and good work should be praised directly.

Good place to work at

Student Associate (Former Employee) West Lafayette, IN

ProsGood environment, quite place to work. People around are so nice and good chance to know people from around the world and be multicutural

ConsSalary is not considered high, but fair enough for people living in Indiana. Also, as Purdue University locates in a small town far away from cities such as Chicago and Indianapolis, activities after work and study could be limited. It will be tricky for people living in town to adjust themselves between working/studying and R&R

Great place with great professionals

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) West Lafayette, IN

ProsAverage income for graudate student but low expense in this town so you end up saving more than other schools in the city. Lots of reputable professors in engineering.

ConsEverything requires extensive paperwork. Low efficient. The salary for grad students haven't been increasing yet the tuition has been increasing each year. I wonder where the money goes

Advice to Senior ManagementI have never met the president. I heard they vote to increase their own salary while the student salary remains at 90s level. The presdient cares too much about making more money for himself.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall a good learning experience that made me ready for a career in life sciences

Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) West Lafayette, IN

ProsGreat interdisciplinary environment for life science research (especially being a part of the PULSe graduate program); very helpful professors, students, and staff. Diversity in student population due to the presence of a large number of international students.

ConsFunding opportunities for international students might be rare to come by. However teaching assistantships are available through the departments.

Terrific research environment

Research Consultant (Former Employee) West Lafayette, IN

ProsFlexible working hours both as a research assistant, and upon graduation, as a research consultant. Very professional research team, plenty of freedom in work.

ConsNo cons, really. The only con probably is the tiny city with nothing to do.

Times are changing

Operations Manager (Current Employee) West Lafayette, IN

ProsFlexable scheduling sometimes.. Stable enviroment

ConsBenifits are being cut... Do more with Less which i get but then there is a time when you just cant cut anymore with out consiquence.

Interesting work, Excellent learning curve, Good Money

Student Data Analyst (Current Employee) West Lafayette, IN

ProsVery good learning curve empowering students to quickly learn or master new skills as students receive support and help from Professors in completing tasks.

ConsOnly part time and does not waive tuition fees.

Rewarding with little pay-off

WSI Swim Instructor (Former Employee) West Lafayette, IN

ProsFlexible hours, convenient location, fun environment, updated equipment.

ConsLittle pay for the amount of time put in, poor communication between management and staff, and little opportunity for advancement or raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are little to none perks or benefits offered and communication between management and employees are weak.

Great university to work!

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) West Lafayette, IN

ProsGreat scholarship opportunities and grant funding. The campus environment is relaxed, yet still professional. Good opportunities to use campus services such as co-rec and health center.

ConsIt is a very large university, so it is easy to just become a number. Parking on campus can be an issue unless you pay out of pocket for a parking pass.

Great Place To Work

Lecturer (Current Employee) West Lafayette, IN

ProsWork load is often flexible allowing for completion when necessary
    Great Coworkers and environment
    Excellent place to grow while working

ConsSome employees unreliable making the work load heavier
    Sometimes compensation is a bit lackluster

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to employees who are absent/late frequently.

Worked for Purdue University? Contribute to the Community!