Purdy's Chocolates

Updated June 17, 2014
Updated June 17, 2014

Karen Flavelle

Great company, bad management

Current Employee - Chocolate Connoisseur  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Chocolate Connoisseur in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Purdy's Chocolates part-time for less than a year

Pros

- Chocolate
    Great atmosphere
    Great benefits from working there
    Fun customers

Cons

Managements
    Health benefits
    Equality
    Caring for other stuff

management needs to start organizing themselves better. They don't really care about their employees and its usually managers just backing each other up. If you get in trouble, you're on your own.

Excellent chocolates, lacking in true connections and support for internal customers.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Purdy's Chocolates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

~Great product you can really stand behind.
    ~Promotions within the company happen quickly
    ~Plans to expand make for more opportunities
    ~Executives would visit when in town and know you by name and remember previous conversations.
    ~Company values and vision are ones you can truly understand and easily convey to customers.

Cons

~Lack of cohesive training for all management, you're sort of just thrown to the wolves.
    ~Lack of support on the regional level from support office in terms of creating new positions to aid in rapid expansion plans.
    ~Development path is often unclear and undefined which ultimately leaves a lot of employees wondering where they're headed.
    ~Turn over rate for management is very high, often due to improper initial hiring and follow up.
    ~New employees are all subject to different training, there is no structure in how the training is executed, most who are the trainers will put their own spin on the manual, leaving for large training gaps shop to shop.
    ~Very heavy responsibility put on all staff to run the business without ensuring proper development has taken place.
    ~Slow to reward when praise is due, very quick to dismiss individuals when performance may be an issue.

~Have more support on the ground level consisting of people with long term management experience and training specifically developed for those individuals to create a consist company standard.
    ~A lot of responsibility has fallen on district managers which leaves them very little room to personally invest in individuals and ensure they are close by for support when needed.

Management do not care about people

Current Employee - Emploee  in  Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Emploee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Purdy's Chocolates full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked for the company for few years. If you are a student, this company is good to start. Interns get good experience, and some peanuts as a compensation. Also valuable experience to pay attention for salary cut when you extend your internship.

Cons

Management won't let you use education benefit ($2000 a year as per company policy)
    CFO has no power, do not trust any his word. Even written promises he makes must be approved by director.
    Don't be shocked with management Christmas lunch. Homeless get more.
    Company benefits will cost you over 6% of your salary.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Enjoyable and learned a lot about chocolate.

Former Employee - Chocolate Connoisseur  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Chocolate Connoisseur in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Purdy's Chocolates part-time for more than a year

Pros

Work is interesting, and customer service is well mannered.

Cons

During stock nights having things done in a timely manner.

the experience assisted me in gaining confidence to interact with customer and from this I gained people skills.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Purdy's Chocolates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The quality of the chocolate was exceptional and this was realized in the taste of the product.

Cons

Organization was very poor and management received little or no experience.

Ensure the managers know how to perform a service and the difficulties in the service before asking the employee to do it.

Sweetest job in town!

I worked at Purdy's Chocolates full-time

Pros

Amazing Co-workers
    Support office is always around to help you out and are extremely friendly
    Profit sharing
    Amazing chocolate to nibble on everyday
    Ongoing training-they want their employees to be the best people they can be and grow with the company

Cons

Running out of product during peak seasons
    Customers can ge a little rude if you un out of their favorites
    Employee incentives are usually chocolate- the chocolate is great but when you work with it all day something else would be nice

Great place to work, great perks since I love chocolate

Current Employee - Chocolate Chip  in  Richmond, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Chocolate Chip in Richmond, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Purdy's Chocolates part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great training. Quality control :) Discounts

Cons

Can't think of any right now

Involve associates more ...

Fine place to work

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Purdy's Chocolates part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great quality of product
    -team-based instead of commission-based
    -Christmas bonus (product)

Cons

-Mediocre support from headquarters
    -personal cost to upkeep uniform
    -limited chance for advancement

It was a great place to start.

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Purdy's Chocolates part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people, good chocolate,good merchandising experience, great supervisors and customer service.

Cons

its all about the money now.

I started working with Purdys years ago, and it was where I learned about the high standard of customer service that I now come to expect today. It was a great company where you got hand packed premium chocolates with great service. I left the company just as the new CEO took over, and from that point on it seemed to be more about the sales and profits than the chocolate and the customers, which was disappointing.

How disorganized, managers care less about their employees

I worked at Purdy's Chocolates

Pros

- Not being micromanaged is a great thing. I felt very independent while working. The problem with that is the manager doesn't appreciate your efforts.
    - Discounts on chocolates and some perks (gym membership reimbursement)

Cons

- The store I worked at was a high volume store, yet it is short-staffed during the summer and fall season. Problem with being short staffed is that it is hard to find coverage when you can't come in to work due to an emergency. You'll still get in trouble if you couldn't show up to work. The manager at that time didn't feel it was necessary to hire more people.
    - The manager didn't care about the employees. The 6 months I worked there, I barely got any feedback. The manager doesn't really listen to your concerns and thinks she is always right. I find her at times very unprofessional and has a bad temper (i.e. has conflicts with many people esp other managers and certain costumers) She doesn't pay attention to the good things employees do for the company and will only focus on the negatives. Not very encouraging! She also talks behind other employees back, which I find very very unprofessional. I also found her tone on emails and in conversations very rude.
    - The manager always takes the weekends off. I was under the impression that managers are supposed to work at least one weekend to help out when it gets really busy. Because of that, I feel that the schedule is based on the manager's needs not the employees.
    - I feel that the manager has her favorites. She doesn't trust other employees enough to do certain duties.
    - The wage doesn't match the amount of work you put in. Must work a certain number of hours to get a raise (a tiny raise that is!).
    - The job itself is very unstable. Within a month, employees quit and the assistant manager is being transferred to a different store. This caused major problems with scheduling. It was hard to get the schedule you wanted. The manager at that time didn't think it was necessary to hire more people which I find completely ridiculous.
    - The first month of training was lacking. Some employees lacked etiquette and manners. The managers should stress this out besides sales techniques and customer service.

Need treat their employees better. Need to be more empathetic and respectful to them.

Worked for Purdy's Chocolates? Contribute to the Community!