Pure Romance

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014
3.9

Chris Cicchinelli

Pros
  • You work when you wish to work, how ever many hours you want to work in a week is up to you (in 4 reviews)

• She has had definitely changed my life forever (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • 400 on a starter kit and I was told that I would make money for every product I sold (in 8 reviews)

• Shipping costs are for the consultants is high and hurts with profits (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Pure romance by amy

I have been working at Pure Romance

Pros

Everything is on time, great producted

Cons

Nothing , everything is great

Consultant

Current Employee - Advanced Consultant in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Advanced Consultant in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Pure Romance part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The freedom to work when I want.

Cons

I can't think of anything.

Failing from the inside out

I worked at Pure Romance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great office location in central Cincinnati. Most of my coworkers were really great. The potential for company growth is huge.

Cons

This company is disintigrating from the inside out. Poor management is destroying the corporate talent pool and forcing the best people at the company to leave like rats from a sinking ship. Consultants see the polished image the company promotes and for the most part are still in love with this company. It's only a matter of time before everything crumbles and they start leaving in droves along with everyone else. The greedy culture mixed with the fact that you can get most of their products on the internet for a fraction of what they're selling them for will guarantee that. It says something that the only way employees feel they can be heard is by posting Glassdoor reviews because that is seriously the only thing management pays attention to. They don't value people at all, consultants or employees. I don't know why Im surprised because when you build a corporate culture that sees greed, money, physical beauty and taking advantage of people as more important than everything else then this is what you get.

If you are about to get hired here beware. This is not like a real corporate job even though they want you to think it is and they pretend to be a big company. They will break every promise they make to you. You will be under paid and over worked. You will never be thanked for your contributions and your ideas will be stolen to make someone else look good. Be prepared to be taken back to high school with executives leading the pack by participating in the rumor mill, stirring up petty drama, and running things like total amateurs. They take no accountability for the fact that they are running the company into the ground and would rather spend valuable time pointing fingers and putting blame on their staff than actually working. Shameful.

Abusing your staff may have worked ten years ago but it won't work forever. If you want your company to survive you need to make some serious changes and see that you are the problem.

Just Keep Swimming

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Pure Romance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most employees are nice, normal people. You can make friends with other employees here easily.
    If you're in the right department, your manager will go to bat for you.
    The benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Upper management leaves a lot to be desired. It's difficult to manage a company that began as family run and then try to shift to a corporate feel. Procedures seem to apply to only certain people and not to everyone. There are noticeable favorites.

There is a tone of excitement among some managers and higher ups when projects go badly. You will be met with smug smiles and frequently reminded that you are incompetent. There is no point in defending yourself because nobody is listening and quite frankly, they do not care. It will be the equivalent of a parental scolding and being grounded for bringing home a bad report card. You will feel awful about it and it will come up again and again in the future. Your job duties may be changed or some even taken away.

If a project does go well, expect no recognition or approval of any kind. It will simply never be discussed again. People from other departments will also be sure to tell you what they feel are your shortcomings and how to do your job. There are several employees who threaten to tattle to the higher ups if you answer a question in a way they don't like. This will result in a call to your manager and then a discussion with you about it. Even when you are correct.

The pay is not worth the amount of hours if you are on salary. Raises and bonuses are an enigma. Helpful things like training for your particular role are often discussed yet rarely happen. There also seems to be a direct correlation between attractiveness and advancement opportunities.

The stress is very high. Everything has to be done yesterday and a response of "I'm working on it right now," is not satisfactory. Things change quickly but the schedule is largely based on the CEO's (often unattainable) expectations and have nothing to do with real time. Things get rushed to meet a deadline but the work can be shoddy. You then get back into the loop of being called incompetent. You will be consistently mentally exhausted. If you have a family prepare to put them on hold for anything related to the company regardless of the hour. Your efforts will never be enough despite logging hours long into evenings, weekends, and occasionally even holidays.

Some managers will scrutinize every move you make and others will be so hands off that you have little to no direction and can easily be blindsided by things you weren't even aware of. That said, there are a few good managers, depending on your department.

It's true that the consultant's love the company and from that standpoint I bet it is great to work here. For the ones who are in the background and keep the company going day to day - Not so much.

Employee morale is very low. The majority of employees feel they have no voice and no one to speak with about their concerns. Anyone who speaks up to any level of management (or even to those who are intended to be neutral) is met with defensive criticism.

Pure Romance Response

Dec 9, 2014PR Team

We would like to take the time to comment about your post as it relates to the leadership of our company. As you know, Pure Romance is a family-owned and family-run company, and for a decade our CEO ... More

LOVE the company...HATE the CEO!

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Pure Romance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

•Easy money
    •Sisterhood
    •awesome incentives
    •great products
    •flexible hours
    •AMAZING COMPANY!

Cons

I just can't believe it is such an amazing company & they have chosen the worst CEO, Chris C.. He is pompous & has no idea how a company runs. I understand he is the owner's son...but that shouldn't be a good enough reason to hire him for such an important role. He cusses way too much- but as consultants we are told not to cuss & to be professional. He acts like every event is a party for him. Like he is the star guest. He is definitely an attention lover. He calls him self a "motivational speaker" but in reality, he just says the same stuff over & over. He sounds like a self help book for dummies. I'm worried how fast the company will sink when Patty retires. :(

•Find a new CEO!
    •Let's see Patty more! We love her to pieces!
    •Charge is real cost shipping instead of price gauging.

Pure Romance Response

Nov 19, 2014PR Team

Pure Romance is one of the nation's leading and fastest growing companies for female business owners

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Pure Romance as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Pure Romance is the nation’s leading and fastest-growing woman-to-woman direct seller of relationship-enhancement products. Pure Romance markets its premier line of products, ranging from bedroom accessories to beauty products to lingerie, through a network of more than 100,000 specially trained or certified sales Consultants at in-home parties throughout the United States, Puerto Rico, South Africa, and Australia.

Cons

Consultants are the core of our business. We could not grow as a company and as an empowering force for women, without your passion and commitment to Pure Romance. We realize that the business model is not for everybody, but for those who embrace the entrepreneurial spirit of this field, it can be a profitable, satisfying career.

Bad Corporate Office - Great Consultants

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Pure Romance

Pros

Know the difference between the Consultant reviews and the Corporate Office reviews. Being a Consultant, as with any direct sales company can be hard but is worth it. Great sisterhood. A little dramatic but it's a bunch of women - so a bit expected. Corporate office? Not really. Great events and fun things to do - freebies, swag, fun events and corporate treats. But you pay for all of it by taking verbal abuse from the egotistical and narcissistic CEO.

Cons

Young and pretty? Sold! You get a 'get out of a receptionist role' FREE card and can skip right to Events - which doesn't exist anymore because strong willed women dont suit him well. His faults aside - middle management doesn't have your back. Want to work in customer service? Sure - just be prepared to be treated like the poop end of the stick and don't expect a raise. When you are suddenly promoted and recognized for your talents - be sure to NEVER make a mistake or your cursed at in front of EVERYONE. Consultants don't really get to see this side of the CEO or what the corporate staff have to deal with so to them - this is a great company. It definitely can be - if the CEO took anger management classes every month. OR if he actually held his staff accountable. And I mean everyone, not just the ones he thinks are cute.

Find a new CEO who is consistent and level headed.

I am new to PR and absolutely love the sisterhood!

Current Employee - Certified Consultant in Richland, SC
    Current Employee - Certified Consultant in Richland, SC

I have been working at Pure Romance part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You make your business what you want it to be. It's educating women how to better themselves and their relationship. It's fun and very rewarding and there are always sales. The products are amazing and leave you wanting more.

Cons

It definitely takes an open mind and the ambition to want more in your business. It's YOUR business! It is what you make it.

I Love Pure Romance!

Breathtaking

Current Employee - Advanced Consultant in Sumter, SC
    Current Employee - Advanced Consultant in Sumter, SC

I have been working at Pure Romance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was in the military for 8 years and I was never able to spend time with my children, but when I joined Pure Romance I can make my own hours. I book parties when I want to work and not when someone tells me too. The sisterhood of Pure Romance is amazing. I have never been around so much empowered women that know what they want and explain how they get it. I love it so much and I am glad I joined this wonderful family.

Cons

There is no cons of my job. You make money when you want too. You control your own paycheck.

Keep up the great work to help us keep these women empowered and educated.

11 years and I'm falling more and more in love...

Current Employee - Trainer/Consultant in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Trainer/Consultant in Portland, OR

I have been working at Pure Romance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Hold on for the ride of a lifetime. Fast-paced, Opportunity for excitement! Pure Romance is like a fine wine that gets better with age. You have the opportunity to grow in EVERY aspect.. Specifically as a person. Love that!!

Cons

If you don't like change it can be hard. If you don't like to be challenged, or to be flexible.. Pure Romance offers lots of opportunity for excitement so if you are stuck in your ways.. Con for you

By improving as individuals, you inspire us to do the same and grow. Advice., don't ever stop being a student.

Pure Romance Photos