Pure Romance Reviews

1. It was AMAZING!

Former Employee - Advanced Consultant in Loveland, OH
    Former Employee - Advanced Consultant in Loveland, OH

I worked at Pure Romance

Pros

I enjoyed being able to help educate, entertain, and empower women. The girls nights were so much fun and I made money!

Cons

Some cons were convincing people to buy stuff when the economy was bad.

Advice to Management

There was a lot of great growth opportunities.

I LOVE IT

Current Employee - Director/President's Club Member in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Director/President's Club Member in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Pure Romance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to meet really awesome women in the business and create life long bonds.
    Awesome products which are improving constantly.
    You make a difference in other women's lives.
    You do win gifts and contests...IF you work your business.

I'm sitting here reading some of the negative reviews and I see a lot of complaining from people who were only in the business for a year...some even less. So If you opened a store and your sales were low the first year, you would just shut down? If that's the case, I wouldn't want to do business with you at all because you gave up too quickly. EVERY business needs time to grow and flourish...even direct sales.

Those who never received a 1099...well the question is: did you ever receive a bonus or an override of $600 or more? From the sound of the complaining, it doesn't seem like it which is why you didn't receive one.

Cons

There are a LOT of rules you have to follow in order to remain an independent contractor within the business but it comes with the territory.

A con I have is not with the company but moreso with the consultants who came in and lasted for a few months and then left and wanted to bash the company because "they didn't get this" or "the company didn''t do that" or "they didn't know this". One MAIN con I have is new comers who don't read their handbook in it's entirety. Also, potential ones who don't ask the sponsor questions before signing on. I'm real with EVERY girl I sign on my team and I tell them there will be times where they don't make ANY money and then there will be times when they make a lot. Every business is trial and error situation where you can take some losses. You choose to get back up and keep going or you walk away if you're not a fighter. I'm 2 years in and already at Director Level, hit the President's Club and earned a Free trip as well as a $1000 cash bonus! A team of 12 ladies under me who are also soaring to the top. I earn 50% off EVERY sale because I stuck at it and didn't give up. So to all of you saying Pyramid scheme or it's not worth it, how much did you REALLY put into your business? How many calls did you make to your sponsor or other team members for help? Did you go out and advertise your business daily...beyond social media? Here's another con: Stop bashing things that didn't work for you because you didn't work for them.

Advice to Management

Keep up the GREAT work!

Pure romance by amy

I have been working at Pure Romance

Pros

Everything is on time, great producted

Cons

Nothing , everything is great

Consultant

Current Employee - Advanced Consultant in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Advanced Consultant in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Pure Romance part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The freedom to work when I want.

Cons

I can't think of anything.

Failing from the inside out

I worked at Pure Romance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great office location in central Cincinnati. Most of my coworkers were really great. The potential for company growth is huge.

Cons

This company is disintigrating from the inside out. Poor management is destroying the corporate talent pool and forcing the best people at the company to leave like rats from a sinking ship. Consultants see the polished image the company promotes and for the most part are still in love with this company. It's only a matter of time before everything crumbles and they start leaving in droves along with everyone else. The greedy culture mixed with the fact that you can get most of their products on the internet for a fraction of what they're selling them for will guarantee that. It says something that the only way employees feel they can be heard is by posting Glassdoor reviews because that is seriously the only thing management pays attention to. They don't value people at all, consultants or employees. I don't know why Im surprised because when you build a corporate culture that sees greed, money, physical beauty and taking advantage of people as more important than everything else then this is what you get.

If you are about to get hired here beware. This is not like a real corporate job even though they want you to think it is and they pretend to be a big company. They will break every promise they make to you. You will be under paid and over worked. You will never be thanked for your contributions and your ideas will be stolen to make someone else look good. Be prepared to be taken back to high school with executives leading the pack by participating in the rumor mill, stirring up petty drama, and running things like total amateurs. They take no accountability for the fact that they are running the company into the ground and would rather spend valuable time pointing fingers and putting blame on their staff than actually working. Shameful.

Advice to Management

Abusing your staff may have worked ten years ago but it won't work forever. If you want your company to survive you need to make some serious changes and see that you are the problem.

LOVE the company...HATE the CEO!

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Pure Romance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

•Easy money
    •Sisterhood
    •awesome incentives
    •great products
    •flexible hours
    •AMAZING COMPANY!

Cons

I just can't believe it is such an amazing company & they have chosen the worst CEO, Chris C.. He is pompous & has no idea how a company runs. I understand he is the owner's son...but that shouldn't be a good enough reason to hire him for such an important role. He cusses way too much- but as consultants we are told not to cuss & to be professional. He acts like every event is a party for him. Like he is the star guest. He is definitely an attention lover. He calls him self a "motivational speaker" but in reality, he just says the same stuff over & over. He sounds like a self help book for dummies. I'm worried how fast the company will sink when Patty retires. :(

Advice to Management

•Find a new CEO!
    •Let's see Patty more! We love her to pieces!
    •Charge is real cost shipping instead of price gauging.

Pure Romance Response

Nov 19, 2014PR Team

We would like to take the time to comment about your post as it relates to the leadership of our company. As you know, Pure Romance is a family-owned and family-run company, and for a decade our CEO ... More

Just Keep Swimming

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Pure Romance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most employees are nice, normal people. You can make friends with other employees here easily.
    If you're in the right department, your manager will go to bat for you.
    The benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Upper management leaves a lot to be desired. It's difficult to manage a company that began as family run and then try to shift to a corporate feel. Procedures seem to apply to only certain people and not to everyone. There are noticeable favorites.

There is a tone of excitement among some managers and higher ups when projects go badly. You will be met with smug smiles and frequently reminded that you are incompetent. There is no point in defending yourself because nobody is listening and quite frankly, they do not care. It will be the equivalent of a parental scolding and being grounded for bringing home a bad report card. You will feel awful about it and it will come up again and again in the future. Your job duties may be changed or some even taken away.

If a project does go well, expect no recognition or approval of any kind. It will simply never be discussed again. People from other departments will also be sure to tell you what they feel are your shortcomings and how to do your job. There are several employees who threaten to tattle to the higher ups if you answer a question in a way they don't like. This will result in a call to your manager and then a discussion with you about it. Even when you are correct.

The pay is not worth the amount of hours if you are on salary. Raises and bonuses are an enigma. Helpful things like training for your particular role are often discussed yet rarely happen. There also seems to be a direct correlation between attractiveness and advancement opportunities.

The stress is very high. Everything has to be done yesterday and a response of "I'm working on it right now," is not satisfactory. Things change quickly but the schedule is largely based on the CEO's (often unattainable) expectations and have nothing to do with real time. Things get rushed to meet a deadline but the work can be shoddy. You then get back into the loop of being called incompetent. You will be consistently mentally exhausted. If you have a family prepare to put them on hold for anything related to the company regardless of the hour. Your efforts will never be enough despite logging hours long into evenings, weekends, and occasionally even holidays.

Some managers will scrutinize every move you make and others will be so hands off that you have little to no direction and can easily be blindsided by things you weren't even aware of. That said, there are a few good managers, depending on your department.

It's true that the consultant's love the company and from that standpoint I bet it is great to work here. For the ones who are in the background and keep the company going day to day - Not so much.

Advice to Management

Employee morale is very low. The majority of employees feel they have no voice and no one to speak with about their concerns. Anyone who speaks up to any level of management (or even to those who are intended to be neutral) is met with defensive criticism.

Pure Romance Response

Dec 9, 2014PR Team

I am new to PR and absolutely love the sisterhood!

Current Employee - Certified Consultant in Richland, SC
    Current Employee - Certified Consultant in Richland, SC

I have been working at Pure Romance part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You make your business what you want it to be. It's educating women how to better themselves and their relationship. It's fun and very rewarding and there are always sales. The products are amazing and leave you wanting more.

Cons

It definitely takes an open mind and the ambition to want more in your business. It's YOUR business! It is what you make it.

Advice to Management

I Love Pure Romance!

Breathtaking

Current Employee - Advanced Consultant in Sumter, SC
    Current Employee - Advanced Consultant in Sumter, SC

I have been working at Pure Romance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was in the military for 8 years and I was never able to spend time with my children, but when I joined Pure Romance I can make my own hours. I book parties when I want to work and not when someone tells me too. The sisterhood of Pure Romance is amazing. I have never been around so much empowered women that know what they want and explain how they get it. I love it so much and I am glad I joined this wonderful family.

Cons

There is no cons of my job. You make money when you want too. You control your own paycheck.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work to help us keep these women empowered and educated.

Bad Corporate Office - Great Consultants

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Pure Romance

Pros

Know the difference between the Consultant reviews and the Corporate Office reviews. Being a Consultant, as with any direct sales company can be hard but is worth it. Great sisterhood. A little dramatic but it's a bunch of women - so a bit expected. Corporate office? Not really. Great events and fun things to do - freebies, swag, fun events and corporate treats. But you pay for all of it by taking verbal abuse from the egotistical and narcissistic CEO.

Cons

Young and pretty? Sold! You get a 'get out of a receptionist role' FREE card and can skip right to Events - which doesn't exist anymore because strong willed women dont suit him well. His faults aside - middle management doesn't have your back. Want to work in customer service? Sure - just be prepared to be treated like the poop end of the stick and don't expect a raise. When you are suddenly promoted and recognized for your talents - be sure to NEVER make a mistake or your cursed at in front of EVERYONE. Consultants don't really get to see this side of the CEO or what the corporate staff have to deal with so to them - this is a great company. It definitely can be - if the CEO took anger management classes every month. OR if he actually held his staff accountable. And I mean everyone, not just the ones he thinks are cute.

Advice to Management

Find a new CEO who is consistent and level headed.

RSS Feed </> Embed