Pure Storage

Updated February 25, 2015
4.6

Pure Storage CEO Scott Dietzen
Scott Dietzen

Pros
  • Great product, leadership and a culture which fosters innovation and embraces creativity (in 5 reviews)

• I considered leaving but realized that I love the company, people and culture too much to leave (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • If you can't adapt quickly to a growing and fast-paced environment, this may not be the best place for you (in 3 reviews)

• Lots of new faces -I don't know everyone by name anymore (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

20 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

I've had the pleasure working at Pure Storage for just over 2yrs and it's been nothing short of an humbling experience!

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (more than a year)

Pros

1) Culture: Since day one the culture has set Pure a part from all other companies I considered. There is a true "team mentality" at Pure that resonates with each new hire that comes on board making it contagious throughout each dept
    2) Career growth: When I first started I was promised an opportunity to progress my career. Most companies state this, but to follow through is usually the exception not the rule. Pure has put it's money where it's mouth is and has always put everyone on the team in a position to succeed and have the opportunity to move up the corp ladder
    3) Work Hard Play Hard: Yes it's a grind. Will you get stressed out....absolutely. But what sales job isn't? At Pure we are changing the industry and in order to do that you have to beat "goliath". But when we do succeed we aren't shy about celebrating it. One important note to keep in mind. We treat everyone as they are a part of our own family. The team is a tight knit bunch that is truly competitive, but always willing to help a teammate when in need.
    4) Exposure - At Pure you're just not another #. Your input matters and you can have significant impact paving the way the Inside sales team is structured for years to come

Cons

If you're currently either working or seeking for an inside sales position that is slow paced then I would recommend looking else where. If you are complacent with staying on the inside forever this isn't the place for you either. This is a high paced environment with Top A+ talent. The competition to reach new career aspirations is fierce, but the opportunities are endless.

Continue to build new leadership opportunities for growth through mentor programs, 3rd party training lectures, & leadership programs.

Amazing Product, Amazing Culture, and Amazing People!

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pure Storage is the fastest growing technology company ever! Great culture, management, and product is the pillar of this success. With success, each team member has a unique opportunity to be contributor and to make a difference. Working here at Pure Storage allows you to grow your career if you are willing to put in the work and have a humble attitude to take coaching from team members. There are literately no walls to divide us and best practices is shared among the team. While the work will challenge you and will allow you to hone your skills for future career advancements, everyone in the office likes to have fun as well. The sound of ping pong balls hitting off the paddles or a slap of a Foosball can be heard through out the day. The combination of hard work and fun truly makes Pure Storage a unique organization.

Cons

None... could not have ask for a better organization to be a part of.

Keep Pure Storage Pure! Continue to innovate while keep a customer first as the number one priority. You are doing a amazing job on keeping Pure's culture intact so please continue to do so.

A Life Changing Experience

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I am surrounded by the brightest, most passionate and driven individuals in tech. In addition, my colleagues are willing to work as a team and pay it forward. This has not only sped up my learning curve, but it ultimately allows us to provide best-of-class experiences for customers & partners.

Great benefits. Great culture. Great upward mobility opportunities. Great training.

In terms of leadership, in Coz, Dietzen, Hayes, Hatfield, Burr, Heydenfeldt etc. we trust. These are all PROVEN leaders. They have an uncanny ability to inspire and execute. Net net, Pure Storage has a bright future with these leaders at the helm.

Cons

Having too much fun. Too many snacks to choose from. My wardrobe, home and office are a sea of orange.

Pure Leadership: continue to be guardians of the great culture you have built at Pure Storage.

Not what it was 6 months ago

Current Employee - Non-Engineering in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Non-Engineering in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people in the trenches are fantastic. The offices (in Mountain View) are fun. The product is top-notch and the market opportunity is amazing.

Cons

POLITICS. POLITICS. POLITICS. I was happy in my job. If I kept my head down and worked hard, I could make something of myself here, or so I thought. My team is led by a bipolar leader. One day we're doing great and we should "keep it up." The next day feels like we're going bankrupt and it's all hands on deck for a lecture.

Exec team, I know you see these problems. How can you fire some executives but keep awful individual contributors? The firing/hiring seems to be so inconsistent.

I consider myself well connected in the company. It's not surprising to hear so many people across the company (sales, marketing, HR, finance) complaining and sharing that they are actively interviewing. It's bittersweet but I'm actively interviewing and look forward to leaving. I wish it wasn't the case but no one seems to care that the bottom of the org chart is dying under really bad leadership. Case in point, I writing to my exec team on Glassdoor and not an internal survey.

Awesome Culture, Product, People & Outlook

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Pure Storage

Pros

- Collaborative culture
    - Great perks and benefits
    - Strong and solid business with high potential for success
    - Strong indicators for a very successful IPO

Cons

- Can't find much there.......really :)

- Keep doing what you are doing
    - Maintain the culture as much as you can even though the growth could change that slightly

Great place and great company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I joined fairly early on and I've had many opportunities to be challenged and grow in the last few years. I'm excited to come to work each day knowing that we're building a product that's changing people's lives for the better.

Cons

The company has gotten big enough that I no longer have an opportunity to meet all the new people.

BEST PLACE TO WORK IN SILICON VALLEY

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This company is growing rapidly and if you want to work with smart people come work for Pure storage!
    Other things I would say about Pure: Interesting challenges, high levels of transparency and super flat hierarchies. Good perks, great benefits and open culture. Best decision so far to come work for this company

Cons

The food is making me gain weight! just kidding, there's nothing else to complain about Pure

Awesome management team! keep it up

Great product, great leadership, great culture

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Two years ago, after my startup got sold, I interviewed at 10+ companies trying to find the best combination of company growth, great technology, and really solid people. Pure Storage delivered on all three fronts. My experience has largely been in the consumer side of tech, so I was apprehensive about working at an enterprise storage company. However, I've been consistently impressed by the scope of the problems, the beauty of the algorithms in the core product design, and the general good nature and quality of the people I work with every day.

Special shout out to the CEO, Scott Dietzen. Great mentor, great role model, and one of the main reasons I joined the company.

Cons

Today, Pure Storage has all the challenges of a growing company. For engineers in particular, the onboarding process is still a work in progress. Rapidly improving as we speak, but with a lot more to do.

Pure Storage also subscribes to an Agile development methodology. For me this is a slight negative because I work better in a less structured setting. However, the tracking benefits and steady progress of this methodology cannot be denied, so maybe I will be a convert in the future.

Openness and Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Open vacation policy (and they mean it.. PTO is fine, they treat you like an adult to police yourself)
    - Great benefits (healthcare premiums paid for), HSA and FSA, cell phone reimbursement, 401k (no matching yet), commuter allowance
    - Excellent culture. No egos, lots of openness in the way management shares information.. truly a culture of trust (again, treat people like adults and give them high expectations and likely they'll meet it... too few companies are like this!)
    - Open pantry, drinks and snacks (Mountain View office at least)
    - Fun people, good energy, highly receptive management (Scott, Coz, etc.) and *no* micro-management!!
    - Positive outlook on the future, with good humor against our competition

Cons

Not unique to Silicon Valley, the office is geared towards a lot of fun distractions - pinball machines, scooters to get around, but that's not unique to the Valley so even distracting, it helps recruit the kids and that's a good thing .. those of us more experienced can just focus differently so I won't even call it a con.

Protect the culture and core values of the company at all costs.. hard times will come along with good times, but it's the hard times that are going to really challenge things and push change.

In general though, I can't offer any great advice because the management team is too awesome... keep doing what you're doing!

Integrity, transparency, super smart, fun!!!

Current Employee - Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great work atmosphere. Great cross section in demographics, from industry veterans to interns.

Cons

Open office environment, can be dynamic. Bring your noise canceling headphones.