Pure Storage Reviews in Mountain View, CA

Openness and Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Open vacation policy (and they mean it.. PTO is fine, they treat you like an adult to police yourself)
    - Great benefits (healthcare premiums paid for), HSA and FSA, cell phone reimbursement, 401k (no matching yet), commuter allowance
    - Excellent culture. No egos, lots of openness in the way management shares information.. truly a culture of trust (again, treat people like adults and give them high expectations and likely they'll meet it... too few companies are like this!)
    - Open pantry, drinks and snacks (Mountain View office at least)
    - Fun people, good energy, highly receptive management (Scott, Coz, etc.) and *no* micro-management!!
    - Positive outlook on the future, with good humor against our competition

Cons

Not unique to Silicon Valley, the office is geared towards a lot of fun distractions - pinball machines, scooters to get around, but that's not unique to the Valley so even distracting, it helps recruit the kids and that's a good thing .. those of us more experienced can just focus differently so I won't even call it a con.

Protect the culture and core values of the company at all costs.. hard times will come along with good times, but it's the hard times that are going to really challenge things and push change.

In general though, I can't offer any great advice because the management team is too awesome... keep doing what you're doing!

Integrity, transparency, super smart, fun!!!

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work atmosphere. Great cross section in demographics, from industry veterans to interns.

Cons

Open office environment, can be dynamic. Bring your noise canceling headphones.

Fantastic opportunity to make a huge difference, both in the industry and personally

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Pure Storage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Industry: Storage is huge and in dire need of improvements. Pure Storage is arguably THE leader in bringing flash memory to the storage industry. The technology is already making a difference in the industry. Product is disruptively fast, easy to use, & cost effective. Marketing is innovative (check out Love Your Storage guarantee & Forever Flash programs... they're simple but unimaginable from the others).

Company: Has a great product. Growing fast. Has a great team (board, management, technical leadership, engineering/sales/operations staff). Innovation isn't only technical, customer satisfaction isn't just marketing.

Values: Tries hard to be strategically smart. Creativity is recognized and appreciated. Fun is recognized as a good thing. Personal growth is desired and allowances are made.

Personal: You can make a difference. Lots of opportunities to learn and grow.

I'm sounding like an ad for the company, but I'd still be there if it weren't for personal issues.

Cons

It's still a startup. Lots of infrastructure needs work.

Growing fast has challenges. The folks you worked with on the last project are unlikely to be the same for the next project. You're going to have to train people.

Projects are dynamically adjusted in priority, features, staffing levels. This requires some mental flexibility and a focus on doing what's necessary vs cool.

Keep sweating the details! The fact that you're trying is worth a lot and is visible to the employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best Job I've Ever Had

Current Employee - Sales  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time for less than a year

Pros

The culture is unparalleled. I come to work every day excited to be there and excited to see what's next in store. Great opportunities for growth, so if that's of high importance to you (and it is for me) there's much to strive for. Hard work does not go unrecognized. Our leadership is top-notch and I strive to work hard for them and the company each and every day.

Cons

If you can't adapt quickly to a growing and fast-paced environment, this may not be the best place for you. Team driven and team oriented results are also a big part of the culture so if you tend to shy away from that this may not be the best fit.

Best Company to Work For!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time

Pros

Every tech start up touts an open & collaborative work culture free from red-tape but after working at several others over the past few years, Pure has been the only one to truly achieve this Holy Grail of a work culture.

People are incredibly smart, but leaving your ego at the door is a huge factor in being successful here. I've seen people get turned away during the interview process despite top technical marks because of their inability to work collaboratively and because this company is so dedicated to maintaining its culture. No room for politics here, and is definitely a meritocracy.

Upper management is very receptive to feedback and are committed to weeding out micromanagement. Our CEO Scott Dietzen is AWESOME! Very friendly, down to earth and lacking the big headed CEO complex that many others have.

People are what make a great company, and the people here are the very best of the best. We have beer bashes, ski trips, boat trips, BBQs, game nights, it goes on and on.

Cons

The company is growing incredibly quickly, so I don't know everyone on my floor anymore.

Continue to be very selective in our hiring for the sake of quality management. Please put more effort in maintaining our great start-up culture. The company is growing really fast, so be sure to take steps to ensure that all new hires are well incorporated and feel a part of the Pure family.

This team, product, culture and roadmap reenergized my career!

Current Employee - Chief Evangelist  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Chief Evangelist in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture. Open, empowering, trust based.
    Market leading product driving massive disruption.
    Top shelf leadership and business model.
    Roadmap... will blow you away!

Cons

We move FAST! We're not for you if you're not ready to go at top speed.

Don't get caught up in titles. We have a relatively flat organization, every role is larger than it's title.

Hands down…best company I've ever worked for!

Current Employee - Director, Operations  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Director, Operations in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've worked for Fortune 100 and Start Ups. Hands down…best company I've ever worked for!
    Great product, leadership and a culture which fosters innovation and embraces creativity. No politics, egos, or little bureaucracy…very refreshing.

Cons

Growing very fast, a lot of work…need tactical execution and long range planning to sustain growth. At times can be competing priorities, but up for the challenge!

Keep the inclusion and transparency as long as you can…encourages a sense of community.

High-growth company that's still fun

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company is firing on all cylinders: building a great product with disruptive technology that customers love in a huge market, executing incredibly well in operations, marketing, and sales, and reaping the rewards for all of that: truly exceptional growth that few companies in history can match.

Cons

Company is too big to really be a startup any more; not sure it would be as good to join now, given that the inner circle/clique of early employees is already pretty well set.

Success is not fore-ordained. We can still screw this up. Turn up the paranoia and turn down the arrogance a bit.

Building the next great SIlicon Valley company

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time for less than a year

Pros

+ smart people (conversations flow easily)
     + great product, selling quickly
     + high investment (time, money) in the tooling needed to make engineering run smoothly (automated testing, modern compilers, git, etc.)
     + good amount of autonomy - management has a light hand - without chaos
         + few meetings: 1 stand-up per day, 1 team meeting / 2weeks, all hands every week
     + management is open with employees about company direction / status - speaks plainly (e.g. review board deck every month)

Cons

- Gain weight because of all the free food

Challenging Work Environment with Lots of Perks

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Pure Storage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great kitchen with fantastic food and drink options.
    Great technology and potential as a company.
    Proven management and solid employees.
    Location is nice, office is new and appealing.

Cons

Work demands are a bit tough. They expect 60-80 hours per week.
    Vacation policy isn't terribly clear nor particularly fair if you don't take time off.
    Interview is quite difficult.

A bit more transparency between management and employees. Management doesn't make enough effort to bond with employees and make them feel as important as they should.

Worked for Pure Storage? Contribute to the Community!