Pure Storage

4.9

Pure Storage CEO Scott Dietzen
Scott Dietzen

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place and great company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I joined fairly early on and I've had many opportunities to be challenged and grow in the last few years. I'm excited to come to work each day knowing that we're building a product that's changing people's lives for the better.

Cons

The company has gotten big enough that I no longer have an opportunity to meet all the new people.

BEST PLACE TO WORK IN SILICON VALLEY

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company is growing rapidly and if you want to work with smart people come work for Pure storage!
    Other things I would say about Pure: Interesting challenges, high levels of transparency and super flat hierarchies. Good perks, great benefits and open culture. Best decision so far to come work for this company

Cons

The food is making me gain weight! just kidding, there's nothing else to complain about Pure

Awesome management team! keep it up

A+ Leadership

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture and the leadership is the BEST I've ever seen. From the top, they emphasize the culture (people get fired for not being a good fit). The ones that don't fit, including executives, get the boot. The ones that do fit, they die to keep them.

I considered leaving but realized that I love the company, people and culture too much to leave. There are a lot of good companies...Pure is GREAT.

Cons

It's getting bigger everyday. When companies get big, growing pains kick in. It'll be a battle to preserve this place but if any leadership can do it, it's this one (esp. Scott Dietzen).

Do EVERYTHING possible to keep this culture intact. As hard as it may be, you need to cut the fat. Keep the ones that are smart and bleed orange.

Great product, great leadership, great culture

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Two years ago, after my startup got sold, I interviewed at 10+ companies trying to find the best combination of company growth, great technology, and really solid people. Pure Storage delivered on all three fronts. My experience has largely been in the consumer side of tech, so I was apprehensive about working at an enterprise storage company. However, I've been consistently impressed by the scope of the problems, the beauty of the algorithms in the core product design, and the general good nature and quality of the people I work with every day.

Special shout out to the CEO, Scott Dietzen. Great mentor, great role model, and one of the main reasons I joined the company.

Cons

Today, Pure Storage has all the challenges of a growing company. For engineers in particular, the onboarding process is still a work in progress. Rapidly improving as we speak, but with a lot more to do.

Pure Storage also subscribes to an Agile development methodology. For me this is a slight negative because I work better in a less structured setting. However, the tracking benefits and steady progress of this methodology cannot be denied, so maybe I will be a convert in the future.

Openness and Culture

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Open vacation policy (and they mean it.. PTO is fine, they treat you like an adult to police yourself)
    - Great benefits (healthcare premiums paid for), HSA and FSA, cell phone reimbursement, 401k (no matching yet), commuter allowance
    - Excellent culture. No egos, lots of openness in the way management shares information.. truly a culture of trust (again, treat people like adults and give them high expectations and likely they'll meet it... too few companies are like this!)
    - Open pantry, drinks and snacks (Mountain View office at least)
    - Fun people, good energy, highly receptive management (Scott, Coz, etc.) and *no* micro-management!!
    - Positive outlook on the future, with good humor against our competition

Cons

Not unique to Silicon Valley, the office is geared towards a lot of fun distractions - pinball machines, scooters to get around, but that's not unique to the Valley so even distracting, it helps recruit the kids and that's a good thing .. those of us more experienced can just focus differently so I won't even call it a con.

Protect the culture and core values of the company at all costs.. hard times will come along with good times, but it's the hard times that are going to really challenge things and push change.

In general though, I can't offer any great advice because the management team is too awesome... keep doing what you're doing!

Fantastic opportunity to make a huge difference, both in the industry and personally

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Pure Storage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Industry: Storage is huge and in dire need of improvements. Pure Storage is arguably THE leader in bringing flash memory to the storage industry. The technology is already making a difference in the industry. Product is disruptively fast, easy to use, & cost effective. Marketing is innovative (check out Love Your Storage guarantee & Forever Flash programs... they're simple but unimaginable from the others).

Company: Has a great product. Growing fast. Has a great team (board, management, technical leadership, engineering/sales/operations staff). Innovation isn't only technical, customer satisfaction isn't just marketing.

Values: Tries hard to be strategically smart. Creativity is recognized and appreciated. Fun is recognized as a good thing. Personal growth is desired and allowances are made.

Personal: You can make a difference. Lots of opportunities to learn and grow.

I'm sounding like an ad for the company, but I'd still be there if it weren't for personal issues.

Cons

It's still a startup. Lots of infrastructure needs work.

Growing fast has challenges. The folks you worked with on the last project are unlikely to be the same for the next project. You're going to have to train people.

Projects are dynamically adjusted in priority, features, staffing levels. This requires some mental flexibility and a focus on doing what's necessary vs cool.

Keep sweating the details! The fact that you're trying is worth a lot and is visible to the employees.

Integrity, transparency, super smart, fun!!!

Current Employee - Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great work atmosphere. Great cross section in demographics, from industry veterans to interns.

Cons

Open office environment, can be dynamic. Bring your noise canceling headphones.

Best Job I've Ever Had

Current Employee - Sales in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The culture is unparalleled. I come to work every day excited to be there and excited to see what's next in store. Great opportunities for growth, so if that's of high importance to you (and it is for me) there's much to strive for. Hard work does not go unrecognized. Our leadership is top-notch and I strive to work hard for them and the company each and every day.

Cons

If you can't adapt quickly to a growing and fast-paced environment, this may not be the best place for you. Team driven and team oriented results are also a big part of the culture so if you tend to shy away from that this may not be the best fit.

Best Company to Work For!!!

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time

Pros

Every tech start up touts an open & collaborative work culture free from red-tape but after working at several others over the past few years, Pure has been the only one to truly achieve this Holy Grail of a work culture.

People are incredibly smart, but leaving your ego at the door is a huge factor in being successful here. I've seen people get turned away during the interview process despite top technical marks because of their inability to work collaboratively and because this company is so dedicated to maintaining its culture. No room for politics here, and is definitely a meritocracy.

Upper management is very receptive to feedback and are committed to weeding out micromanagement. Our CEO Scott Dietzen is AWESOME! Very friendly, down to earth and lacking the big headed CEO complex that many others have.

People are what make a great company, and the people here are the very best of the best. We have beer bashes, ski trips, boat trips, BBQs, game nights, it goes on and on.

Cons

The company is growing incredibly quickly, so I don't know everyone on my floor anymore.

Continue to be very selective in our hiring for the sake of quality management. Please put more effort in maintaining our great start-up culture. The company is growing really fast, so be sure to take steps to ensure that all new hires are well incorporated and feel a part of the Pure family.

This team, product, culture and roadmap reenergized my career!

Current Employee - Chief Evangelist in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Chief Evangelist in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great culture. Open, empowering, trust based.
    Market leading product driving massive disruption.
    Top shelf leadership and business model.
    Roadmap... will blow you away!

Cons

We move FAST! We're not for you if you're not ready to go at top speed.

Don't get caught up in titles. We have a relatively flat organization, every role is larger than it's title.