Pure Storage

Pure Storage CEO Scott Dietzen

Scott Dietzen

Openness and Culture

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

Pros- Open vacation policy (and they mean it.. PTO is fine, they treat you like an adult to police yourself)
    - Great benefits (healthcare premiums paid for), HSA and FSA, cell phone reimbursement, 401k (no matching yet), commuter allowance
    - Excellent culture. No egos, lots of openness in the way management shares information.. truly a culture of trust (again, treat people like adults and give them high expectations and likely they'll meet it... too few companies are like this!)
    - Open pantry, drinks and snacks (Mountain View office at least)
    - Fun people, good energy, highly receptive management (Scott, Coz, etc.) and *no* micro-management!!
    - Positive outlook on the future, with good humor against our competition

ConsNot unique to Silicon Valley, the office is geared towards a lot of fun distractions - pinball machines, scooters to get around, but that's not unique to the Valley so even distracting, it helps recruit the kids and that's a good thing .. those of us more experienced can just focus differently so I won't even call it a con.

Advice to Senior ManagementProtect the culture and core values of the company at all costs.. hard times will come along with good times, but it's the hard times that are going to really challenge things and push change.

In general though, I can't offer any great advice because the management team is too awesome... keep doing what you're doing!

The best people, management, and technology in the industry!

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsA great opportunity for the best of the best to be part of the next great storage company. A very supportive team that is interested in the success of everyone. Fast-paced environment, results-driven management philosophy, and the best product I have ever seen.

ConsNo cons. If there was any negative, it would be that it takes the right type of person to thrive here. Internally motivated, resourceful and creative are key.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the awesomeness! Our customers love us.

Fun, Rewarding, and Fast-paced

Systems Engineer (Sales) (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe people and culture are the absolute best that I've been exposed to in my career. The technology delivers an obvious value, and is supported by an organization unlike any I've ever worked for. My first exposure to the company was spending some time with the CEO and he actually offered up some career advice and suggestions for other organizations if I decided that Pure wasn't for me. This is the single most dedicated and honest leadership team in the business today period. To say that they care about their employees is a huge understatement. Companies live and die by leadership alone, regardless of their products, and Pure Storage obviously has the best of both.

ConsThe fast paced business of a small post start-up company is not for everyone. There are some procedural tasks that are in development, so relying on your own creativity to accomplish tasks is sometimes a requirement. Things also change very rapidly, and you could have 10 new neighbors next week. If you do not like meeting new people on a regular basis, this is probably not the place for you. If you are inspired by working very hard and reaping the rewards, you are a perfect fit.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Integrity, transparency, super smart, fun!!!

Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsGreat work atmosphere. Great cross section in demographics, from industry veterans to interns.

ConsOpen office environment, can be dynamic. Bring your noise canceling headphones.

Fantastic opportunity to make a huge difference, both in the industry and personally

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsIndustry: Storage is huge and in dire need of improvements. Pure Storage is arguably THE leader in bringing flash memory to the storage industry. The technology is already making a difference in the industry. Product is disruptively fast, easy to use, & cost effective. Marketing is innovative (check out Love Your Storage guarantee & Forever Flash programs... they're simple but unimaginable from the others).

Company: Has a great product. Growing fast. Has a great team (board, management, technical leadership, engineering/sales/operations staff). Innovation isn't only technical, customer satisfaction isn't just marketing.

Values: Tries hard to be strategically smart. Creativity is recognized and appreciated. Fun is recognized as a good thing. Personal growth is desired and allowances are made.

Personal: You can make a difference. Lots of opportunities to learn and grow.

I'm sounding like an ad for the company, but I'd still be there if it weren't for personal issues.

ConsIt's still a startup. Lots of infrastructure needs work.

Growing fast has challenges. The folks you worked with on the last project are unlikely to be the same for the next project. You're going to have to train people.

Projects are dynamically adjusted in priority, features, staffing levels. This requires some mental flexibility and a focus on doing what's necessary vs cool.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep sweating the details! The fact that you're trying is worth a lot and is visible to the employees.

Best Job I've Ever Had

Sales (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsThe culture is unparalleled. I come to work every day excited to be there and excited to see what's next in store. Great opportunities for growth, so if that's of high importance to you (and it is for me) there's much to strive for. Hard work does not go unrecognized. Our leadership is top-notch and I strive to work hard for them and the company each and every day.

ConsIf you can't adapt quickly to a growing and fast-paced environment, this may not be the best place for you. Team driven and team oriented results are also a big part of the culture so if you tend to shy away from that this may not be the best fit.

Best Company to Work For!!!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsEvery tech start up touts an open & collaborative work culture free from red-tape but after working at several others over the past few years, Pure has been the only one to truly achieve this Holy Grail of a work culture.

People are incredibly smart, but leaving your ego at the door is a huge factor in being successful here. I've seen people get turned away during the interview process despite top technical marks because of their inability to work collaboratively and because this company is so dedicated to maintaining its culture. No room for politics here, and is definitely a meritocracy.

Upper management is very receptive to feedback and are committed to weeding out micromanagement. Our CEO Scott Dietzen is AWESOME! Very friendly, down to earth and lacking the big headed CEO complex that many others have.

People are what make a great company, and the people here are the very best of the best. We have beer bashes, ski trips, boat trips, BBQs, game nights, it goes on and on.

ConsThe company is growing incredibly quickly, so I don't know everyone on my floor anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be very selective in our hiring for the sake of quality management. Please put more effort in maintaining our great start-up culture. The company is growing really fast, so be sure to take steps to ensure that all new hires are well incorporated and feel a part of the Pure family.

Best career decision - ever!

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsA product that just plain works as advertised, executive management and board members that are great leaders, and very positive culture top to bottom makes this company positioned for greatness. Too many all-flash vendors are positioning themselves as niche Tier0 storage, but not Pure - we general purpose Tier1 storage and are leading the transition to silicon data centers at a very cost effective price point, making the market opportunity HUGE. Product is well ahead of the competitors in reliability and functionality making our jobs much easier to close business. Everyone is a contributor and all comments/feedback is welcome at all levels in the company. Executive transparency of all things Pure is great to see as well.

ConsRapid growth in sales makes assigned territories fluid but sales management has been doing as good a jobs as possible in keeping things fair. Hard to tell if we are hiring too fast or at the right rate to sustain this massive growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Best place I have ever worked. I love my job!

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThis is by far the best job I have ever had. Innovation and strength of leadership is key to each individual's success. The fact that the product is truly industry changing and leaps and bounds ahead of the nearest competitors makes the job fun, and the customer reactions when they hear about it provide a deep sense of job satisfaction.

ConsWe move fast here. Management is not going to hold your hand every step of the way. You will be supported by a great team, but we are all running. If you don't think you can keep up, this is probably not the right place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementFantastic direction, innovation, and leadership. Keep up the great work.

This team, product, culture and roadmap reenergized my career!

Chief Evangelist (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsGreat culture. Open, empowering, trust based.
    Market leading product driving massive disruption.
    Top shelf leadership and business model.
    Roadmap... will blow you away!

ConsWe move FAST! We're not for you if you're not ready to go at top speed.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't get caught up in titles. We have a relatively flat organization, every role is larger than it's title.

Worked for Pure Storage? Contribute to the Community!