Pure Storage

Pure Storage CEO Scott Dietzen
Scott Dietzen

A+ Leadership

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture and the leadership is the BEST I've ever seen. From the top, they emphasize the culture (people get fired for not being a good fit). The ones that don't fit, including executives, get the boot. The ones that do fit, they die to keep them.

I considered leaving but realized that I love the company, people and culture too much to leave. There are a lot of good companies...Pure is GREAT.

Cons

It's getting bigger everyday. When companies get big, growing pains kick in. It'll be a battle to preserve this place but if any leadership can do it, it's this one (esp. Scott Dietzen).

Do EVERYTHING possible to keep this culture intact. As hard as it may be, you need to cut the fat. Keep the ones that are smart and bleed orange.

Amazing rocket ship

I worked at Pure Storage

Pros

I have worked all over this valley and have never encountered a company as amazing as pure storage. They are going to be huge and redefine the storage industry. They have great management, great marketing, great technology, great products.... the whole package!

Cons

You better be really smart and willing to work very hard if you want a job here.

Keep it up!

Great product, great leadership, great culture

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Two years ago, after my startup got sold, I interviewed at 10+ companies trying to find the best combination of company growth, great technology, and really solid people. Pure Storage delivered on all three fronts. My experience has largely been in the consumer side of tech, so I was apprehensive about working at an enterprise storage company. However, I've been consistently impressed by the scope of the problems, the beauty of the algorithms in the core product design, and the general good nature and quality of the people I work with every day.

Special shout out to the CEO, Scott Dietzen. Great mentor, great role model, and one of the main reasons I joined the company.

Cons

Today, Pure Storage has all the challenges of a growing company. For engineers in particular, the onboarding process is still a work in progress. Rapidly improving as we speak, but with a lot more to do.

Pure Storage also subscribes to an Agile development methodology. For me this is a slight negative because I work better in a less structured setting. However, the tracking benefits and steady progress of this methodology cannot be denied, so maybe I will be a convert in the future.

Great Culture, Great Product, No Politics

Current Employee - Sales Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Sales Systems Engineer

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The amazing thing about Pure is that they have core values that employees all up and down the food chain actually embody. These values (in case you were wondering) are Customer First, Creativity, Teamwork, Ownership and Persistence. At any other company, I would consider such a list of values to be corny, empty platitudes, but here at Pure it's real. There's a feeling of openness, honesty and commitment that's refreshing, having come from a large IT company where politics rules the day. And the fact that Pure has the premier product in their space doesn't hurt either...

Cons

Not everyone will thrive here - depends on what you're looking for. The egalitarian, teamwork approach may not work for those who need lots of ego strokes, and the ownership expectation may not work for you if you're looking for a "cushy job." But overall, the compensation, benefits, culture and professionalism are outstanding.

Keep up the good work! Figure out a way to keep the current culture intact as the company grows.

Technical Support Engineer

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Catered lunch, snacks, 100% paid health benefits, good pay, and we have lots of fun.

We sell an amazing product I can be proud to support.

The engineers I work with are the smartest group of people I have ever worked with.

Pure storage is growing like crazy.

The executive staff actually cares about the employee base.

Cons

It is very hard work, and very fast paced.There is a lot of changes, and it was a steep learning curve at first.

Please keep pure awesome!

I absolutely love this company!

Current Employee - Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pure brings the excitement of a startup with the smarts of a well established company. They are committed to running an open and honest company that stands behind what they say.

Lots of opportunity for advancement and the sky is the limit to what you can do within the company.

Salaries and benefits are competitive with the market.

Cons

At this point I haven't found anything I don't like about the company. Everything is moving very quickly due to the market we are in but I consider that a benefit not a con.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Openness and Culture

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Open vacation policy (and they mean it.. PTO is fine, they treat you like an adult to police yourself)
    - Great benefits (healthcare premiums paid for), HSA and FSA, cell phone reimbursement, 401k (no matching yet), commuter allowance
    - Excellent culture. No egos, lots of openness in the way management shares information.. truly a culture of trust (again, treat people like adults and give them high expectations and likely they'll meet it... too few companies are like this!)
    - Open pantry, drinks and snacks (Mountain View office at least)
    - Fun people, good energy, highly receptive management (Scott, Coz, etc.) and *no* micro-management!!
    - Positive outlook on the future, with good humor against our competition

Cons

Not unique to Silicon Valley, the office is geared towards a lot of fun distractions - pinball machines, scooters to get around, but that's not unique to the Valley so even distracting, it helps recruit the kids and that's a good thing .. those of us more experienced can just focus differently so I won't even call it a con.

Protect the culture and core values of the company at all costs.. hard times will come along with good times, but it's the hard times that are going to really challenge things and push change.

In general though, I can't offer any great advice because the management team is too awesome... keep doing what you're doing!

The best people, management, and technology in the industry!

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A great opportunity for the best of the best to be part of the next great storage company. A very supportive team that is interested in the success of everyone. Fast-paced environment, results-driven management philosophy, and the best product I have ever seen.

Cons

No cons. If there was any negative, it would be that it takes the right type of person to thrive here. Internally motivated, resourceful and creative are key.

Keep up the awesomeness! Our customers love us.

Fun, Rewarding, and Fast-paced

Current Employee - Systems Engineer (Sales) in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer (Sales) in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people and culture are the absolute best that I've been exposed to in my career. The technology delivers an obvious value, and is supported by an organization unlike any I've ever worked for. My first exposure to the company was spending some time with the CEO and he actually offered up some career advice and suggestions for other organizations if I decided that Pure wasn't for me. This is the single most dedicated and honest leadership team in the business today period. To say that they care about their employees is a huge understatement. Companies live and die by leadership alone, regardless of their products, and Pure Storage obviously has the best of both.

Cons

The fast paced business of a small post start-up company is not for everyone. There are some procedural tasks that are in development, so relying on your own creativity to accomplish tasks is sometimes a requirement. Things also change very rapidly, and you could have 10 new neighbors next week. If you do not like meeting new people on a regular basis, this is probably not the place for you. If you are inspired by working very hard and reaping the rewards, you are a perfect fit.

Keep doing what you are doing!

Fantastic opportunity to make a huge difference, both in the industry and personally

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Pure Storage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Industry: Storage is huge and in dire need of improvements. Pure Storage is arguably THE leader in bringing flash memory to the storage industry. The technology is already making a difference in the industry. Product is disruptively fast, easy to use, & cost effective. Marketing is innovative (check out Love Your Storage guarantee & Forever Flash programs... they're simple but unimaginable from the others).

Company: Has a great product. Growing fast. Has a great team (board, management, technical leadership, engineering/sales/operations staff). Innovation isn't only technical, customer satisfaction isn't just marketing.

Values: Tries hard to be strategically smart. Creativity is recognized and appreciated. Fun is recognized as a good thing. Personal growth is desired and allowances are made.

Personal: You can make a difference. Lots of opportunities to learn and grow.

I'm sounding like an ad for the company, but I'd still be there if it weren't for personal issues.

Cons

It's still a startup. Lots of infrastructure needs work.

Growing fast has challenges. The folks you worked with on the last project are unlikely to be the same for the next project. You're going to have to train people.

Projects are dynamically adjusted in priority, features, staffing levels. This requires some mental flexibility and a focus on doing what's necessary vs cool.

Keep sweating the details! The fact that you're trying is worth a lot and is visible to the employees.