Pure Storage

Pure Storage Reviews

Updated Mar 25, 2014

Pure Storage CEO Scott Dietzen

Scott Dietzen

Integrity, transparency, super smart, fun!!!

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat work atmosphere. Great cross section in demographics, from industry veterans to interns.

ConsOpen office environment, can be dynamic. Bring your noise canceling headphones.

Fun, Rewarding, and Fast-paced

Systems Engineer (Sales) (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time for less than a year

ProsThe people and culture are the absolute best that I've been exposed to in my career. The technology delivers an obvious value, and is supported by an organization unlike any I've ever worked for. My first exposure to the company was spending some time with the CEO and he actually offered up some career advice and suggestions for other organizations if I decided that Pure wasn't for me. This is the single most dedicated and honest leadership team in the business today period. To say that they care about their employees is a huge understatement. Companies live and die by leadership alone, regardless of their products, and Pure Storage obviously has the best of both.

ConsThe fast paced business of a small post start-up company is not for everyone. There are some procedural tasks that are in development, so relying on your own creativity to accomplish tasks is sometimes a requirement. Things also change very rapidly, and you could have 10 new neighbors next week. If you do not like meeting new people on a regular basis, this is probably not the place for you. If you are inspired by working very hard and reaping the rewards, you are a perfect fit.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing!

Fantastic opportunity to make a huge difference, both in the industry and personally

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Pure Storage full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIndustry: Storage is huge and in dire need of improvements. Pure Storage is arguably THE leader in bringing flash memory to the storage industry. The technology is already making a difference in the industry. Product is disruptively fast, easy to use, & cost effective. Marketing is innovative (check out Love Your Storage guarantee & Forever Flash programs... they're simple but unimaginable from the others).

Company: Has a great product. Growing fast. Has a great team (board, management, technical leadership, engineering/sales/operations staff). Innovation isn't only technical, customer satisfaction isn't just marketing.

Values: Tries hard to be strategically smart. Creativity is recognized and appreciated. Fun is recognized as a good thing. Personal growth is desired and allowances are made.

Personal: You can make a difference. Lots of opportunities to learn and grow.

I'm sounding like an ad for the company, but I'd still be there if it weren't for personal issues.

ConsIt's still a startup. Lots of infrastructure needs work.

Growing fast has challenges. The folks you worked with on the last project are unlikely to be the same for the next project. You're going to have to train people.

Projects are dynamically adjusted in priority, features, staffing levels. This requires some mental flexibility and a focus on doing what's necessary vs cool.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep sweating the details! The fact that you're trying is worth a lot and is visible to the employees.

Best Job I've Ever Had

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time for less than a year

ProsThe culture is unparalleled. I come to work every day excited to be there and excited to see what's next in store. Great opportunities for growth, so if that's of high importance to you (and it is for me) there's much to strive for. Hard work does not go unrecognized. Our leadership is top-notch and I strive to work hard for them and the company each and every day.

ConsIf you can't adapt quickly to a growing and fast-paced environment, this may not be the best place for you. Team driven and team oriented results are also a big part of the culture so if you tend to shy away from that this may not be the best fit.

Best Company to Work For!!!

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time

ProsEvery tech start up touts an open & collaborative work culture free from red-tape but after working at several others over the past few years, Pure has been the only one to truly achieve this Holy Grail of a work culture.

People are incredibly smart, but leaving your ego at the door is a huge factor in being successful here. I've seen people get turned away during the interview process despite top technical marks because of their inability to work collaboratively and because this company is so dedicated to maintaining its culture. No room for politics here, and is definitely a meritocracy.

Upper management is very receptive to feedback and are committed to weeding out micromanagement. Our CEO Scott Dietzen is AWESOME! Very friendly, down to earth and lacking the big headed CEO complex that many others have.

People are what make a great company, and the people here are the very best of the best. We have beer bashes, ski trips, boat trips, BBQs, game nights, it goes on and on.

ConsThe company is growing incredibly quickly, so I don't know everyone on my floor anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be very selective in our hiring for the sake of quality management. Please put more effort in maintaining our great start-up culture. The company is growing really fast, so be sure to take steps to ensure that all new hires are well incorporated and feel a part of the Pure family.

Best career decision - ever!

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time for more than a year

ProsA product that just plain works as advertised, executive management and board members that are great leaders, and very positive culture top to bottom makes this company positioned for greatness. Too many all-flash vendors are positioning themselves as niche Tier0 storage, but not Pure - we general purpose Tier1 storage and are leading the transition to silicon data centers at a very cost effective price point, making the market opportunity HUGE. Product is well ahead of the competitors in reliability and functionality making our jobs much easier to close business. Everyone is a contributor and all comments/feedback is welcome at all levels in the company. Executive transparency of all things Pure is great to see as well.

ConsRapid growth in sales makes assigned territories fluid but sales management has been doing as good a jobs as possible in keeping things fair. Hard to tell if we are hiring too fast or at the right rate to sustain this massive growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Best place I have ever worked. I love my job!

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
Denver, CO

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time for less than a year

ProsThis is by far the best job I have ever had. Innovation and strength of leadership is key to each individual's success. The fact that the product is truly industry changing and leaps and bounds ahead of the nearest competitors makes the job fun, and the customer reactions when they hear about it provide a deep sense of job satisfaction.

ConsWe move fast here. Management is not going to hold your hand every step of the way. You will be supported by a great team, but we are all running. If you don't think you can keep up, this is probably not the right place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementFantastic direction, innovation, and leadership. Keep up the great work.

This team, product, culture and roadmap reenergized my career!

Chief Evangelist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat culture. Open, empowering, trust based.
Market leading product driving massive disruption.
Top shelf leadership and business model.
Roadmap... will blow you away!

ConsWe move FAST! We're not for you if you're not ready to go at top speed.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't get caught up in titles. We have a relatively flat organization, every role is larger than it's title.

Hands down…best company I've ever worked for!

Director, Operations (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time for less than a year

ProsI've worked for Fortune 100 and Start Ups. Hands down…best company I've ever worked for!
Great product, leadership and a culture which fosters innovation and embraces creativity. No politics, egos, or little bureaucracy…very refreshing.

ConsGrowing very fast, a lot of work…need tactical execution and long range planning to sustain growth. At times can be competing priorities, but up for the challenge!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the inclusion and transparency as long as you can…encourages a sense of community.

I am usually VERY grumpy in these sort of reviews, but this is different (and I was at Google during the early days).

I have been working at Pure Storage

ProsThere is some strange brew that permeates the ether around here that makes it seem like just the right place at the right time with the right people. Sr. Eng Management is experienced in just the right way. They have been through it before and know how to grow this while avoid big-company garbage. They are not new to this. They don't need "adult supervision" like at Facebook or other startups. Junior Engineers are full of juice, but not juvenile - they just want to get things done. In this way its like Google during the early days. However, its different because its the nature of the product. It requires more seriousness and engineering - storage is actually very intense (to my surprise). Its big, its physical, its real, it can't fail. And what Pure does with it...wow, it really is an engineering marvel - almost NASA like. Best of all, there are NO politics here... really. Everyone focuses very hard during interviews on cultural fit. Part of that is hiring people who have zero agenda and it shows. There isn't an org chart to be found on the wiki, though everyone knows their place down to the guy the cleans the desks. He told me the other day "my job is to make sure the scientists and engineers have clean work spaces, and I know I am respected for that". Come on, not even at Google did I hear that - ask the bus drivers of any big tech company if they feel respected. There is much more to say here, but I am sure the readers get the gist.

ConsMany and it reflects where the company is at.
- its a startup that is about to pop. So you have to work very hard for many hours. Don't fool yourself. This place is not for the faint hearted who have grown technically blubbery in their big corporate jobs. Managers, Directors and the CTO still contribute impressively. No matter where you are in engineering, you need to be technical competent.
- the storage market is HUGE, so no end to the opportunity. However, there are a lot of players. Pure's technology is awesome, but big competitors get it and scaling is huge challenge. Many companies trip up here.
- The interviews focus very much on engineering and culture and can produce many false negatives. The good is that there are no puzzles or trick questions. The bad is that they can be so rigorous that people could get intimidated.
- based in Mountain View, CA. There are no remote engineering offices.

Worked for Pure Storage? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pure Storage reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pure Storage CEO Scott Dietzen. All 28 reviews posted anonymously by Pure Storage employees.