PureRed Creative
www.gaprc.com Stone Mountain, GA 150 to 499 Employees

PureRed Creative Reviews

Updated Mar 14, 2014
PureRed Creative – Stone Mountain – “Near the Pond”

Rick Davis

Working for this company was rewarding, for the most part.

Production Artist (Former Employee)
Stone Mountain, GA

I worked at PureRed Creative full-time for more than 10 years

ProsConcerning the particular dept. that I was employed in: It was my personal experience that with dedication, quality performance and enough time fulfilled, this company will reward with pay increases and/or promotions. Regularly updated software/hardware helps to keep up with current trends. Very good IT and supervisory support. Occasional opportunities for learning new skills or possible advancement. Time-off requests were always granted unless there was a scheduling conflict.

ConsConcerning the particular dept. that I was employed in: The work schedules are subject to change without much advance notice. The production staff is kept to a minimum, making the already tight schedule more pressed when deadlines are moved forward or someone is out sick or on vacation. The advertising being produced here can be highly detailed and complicated involving product information and time sensitive material that changes daily. Many times, a high amount of work is expected from each individual in a tight window of turn-around that can easily involve last minute layout changes and other tasks that can be very stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith all due respect, the following observations are simply my opinions. My overall experience with this company was a good one that provided many personal and professional rewards over time. That having been said… Over the last few years, the sense of "value" towards personnel from upper management has declined. Many employees who have maintained successful and growing relationships with their customer(s), feel a sense of being over- shadowed by the up-and-coming department of internet marketing. Due to the current and probable future trends of marketing/advertising, it is understandable that this growing and important entity of the company be nurtured and cultivated. However, I believe that a healthy and respectful relationship between upper management and ALL the departments should be maintained equally. And lastly… We are living/working in the present, not the past. No matter how "bad" things used to be in the advertising/production industry (or this company), there's no need to use it as a means to justify exhausting or overworking those of us trying to live/work in the present.

Agency in evolution mode

I have been working at PureRed Creative

ProsPureRED has been around for years – started as a production/prepress shop and has grown into a more traditional agency with design, production, print, digital, video, photography etc. This evolution has moved pretty fast though over the past 10 years, so there’s been some growing pains and “learn as you go” moments. I would describe PR as a national ad agency, with a local business feel. There’s a lot of good stuff happening here, some not so good, but they’re on the right track.

Leadership:
Long history, so some have been here since the start. This is good since they know the business and aren’t executives who breeze in and out – these people are committed “lifers”. The downside can be some old school thinking but, there’s also a good mix of new people who bring new ideas, a digital perspective, and more traditional agency knowledge to the table.

Work, Workload and Clients:
A vast mix from less creative circular production work to super creative brand makeovers and product launch campaigns. PR works with some major retail and BtoB brands. Of course not all the work is exciting and creative, but that’s true with all agencies. Hours can be long during peak times, depending on what you’re working on – again, it’s an agency…

Staff:
Some talented folks here –people to learn from and be inspired by. Sure, there are also people here that you want to avoid…there’s no perfect workplace.

Photography:
One of the best studios in Atlanta – super talented group of art directors, set design, photographers, stylists etc. HUGE studio space, lots of retail shoots and beautiful work coming out of here.

Advice for Applicants:
Newbies – A great place to get your feet wet. There’s a lot to learn here and people to learn from. You can get a wide range of experience depending on what division you are in.

More Experienced People – Talent is solid. There are people that will help make you better at what you do. Client list has some heavy hitters in retail…good for your portfolio. Digital is emerging — PR started a dedicated division 4 years ago and it’s in growing mode—a good opportunity to get in early, make your mark and advance quickly.

ConsLong history, so some of the leadership team have been here since the start. This brings both positive and negative aspects.

Work load can be heavy and demands long hours during peak times of the year.

Breath of fresh air!!

Graphic Designer (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at PureRed Creative full-time for less than a year

ProsWow - I started at PureRED a few months ago and have had great experiences already.
it has been like a breath of fresh air compared to my last company. Knowing that I can
bring ideas to the table and learn from my seniors has been the most exciting.
There are a talented group of creatives and account management people that have a great understanding of what our clients want and will do what it takes to give it to them.
This is weird to mention I guess but PureRED is also a financially sound company so you never have to worry about a paycheck!

ConsClients really drive the schedules and sometime it feels like you are working so fast you dont get a chance to really be as creative as you want to or think things though. But if you want to keep the clients then you have to do what it takes to keep them happy, right?. Watching when is too far though would be important so the team doesn't get burned out.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes you are asked to stop and start projects and dont really understand why. It would be good if management explained more to us so we can be better informed. More conversation about where the company is going is also something I do not think the management talks about enough.

Great Learning Environment

Production Artist (Current Employee)
Stone Mountain, GA

I have been working at PureRed Creative full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFellow employees make the job fun and rewarding. Some one will always step in to help out when necessary. A great amount of camaraderie exists and creates a team atmosphere. Managers have an open door policy that allows you to present your ideas.

ConsNeeds to be better communication between managers and employees. Long hours are needed to complete the tight deadlines for the clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore facility meetings to keep everyone informed on changes, good and bad.

For all the promise this company could bring, it falls far shorter than 'Disappointing'

Web Developer (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at PureRed Creative full-time for more than a year

ProsFor pros, the pay and salary is competitive and decent (there's a reason for that which I'll address later) and the benefits are acceptable.

The 'Interactive Department' side of the building is impressive with it's wide open layout and low but stylish cubicles. Lots of concrete and glass to make it look appealing. The overhead developer loft is pretty snazzy but gets warm up there during the summer months.

The pixel-pushers are decent to work with and some of them should have higher aspirations to move on to higher positions or establish themselves with more prevalence in the marketplace. The company continues to bring in decent talent to fill the ranks as people come and go, typically as a contract-to-hire approach if they cannot find someone through employee referrals.

Stable clients continue to provide PureRed with opportunities for smaller work peppered in.

ConsIf you're a developer who prides themselves with reputable work, avoid this place. Only consider if you're truly desperate for a job or you're just hunting for pay, all else should move on. The reason the pay is decent is because they can't hang on to 'average' talent much less 'better than average' people. Revolving door is alive and well here.

Clientele remain largely unchanged from the past decade.

As a developer, you will be expected to support the client at all times throughout the week. Expect late night (1AM-2AM) to very early morning (5AM-6AM) phone calls with Project Managers when things break or something is incorrect (through no fault of yours). Particularly, expect to stay late nearly every Friday night for client prod pushes. Everyone has gone out of the office but you, dear Sir/Madam Developer, will stay late while others drink the night away.

If you have an opinion (creative, development, or process), it will fall upon deaf ears or worse, will be reprimanded for insubordination. I've seen someone terminated because they expressed their very professional, creative opinion to contradict a Senior Manager's creative decision (a non-creative) whose role does not involve anything of creative direction. The mentality is to say: Who are you to question the methodology, logic, and creativity of those who sit above you in the hierarchal ladder? What do you think you are, a designer/developer... a creative?

Advice to Senior ManagementAs an interactive agency or even more simplistically, as a business, you must have a really hard look into a mirror to notice the flaws in their leadership and management of people. Introspection continues to elude you and ultimately, all things will rise and a fall on leadership. Your middle-management do not have complete buy-in with the underlying principles of the company but rather strive for their own selfish ambitions. You will be held accountable to your stake holders and investors. They will eventually see the outlook and the degradation of their investment; they will act swiftly.

Great creative and satisfied clients Excellent creative and satisfied clients

Employee (Current Employee)

I have been working at PureRed Creative full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLove the teamwork approach to strategic creative.
Fun work atmosphere!
Clients like hanging out with us.

ConsSome long hours and tight deadlines

Advice to Senior ManagementCirculate more to better understand what the employees are up against daily.
Better communication.

PureRidiculousness

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Tucker, GA

I worked at PureRed Creative for less than a year

ProsReverse commute from City of Atlanta
On-Site photo studio

Cons• Filthy, disgusting OTP workplace. Roaches and other bugs in the employee/studio kitchen, inches & inches of dust on the air vents and a rat’s nest and feces found under the couch in the lobby.

• No Life/Work Balance. 50-70+ hours a week and weekends are the norm with no end in sight. No one in Design / Production leaves early. If you make plans before 8PM you might as well cancel them because you’ll still be working.

• No Formal Traffic Process -- Post-it notes on a desk, “To Design”, “Proof” “Kicks”, “Clean” is not an efficient way to traffic jobs through an agency.

• Heavy Print Production Sweatshop Culture. Work is mediocre and not conceptual. Emphasis is placed on speed and how quickly you can get the job done. It is not unusual for a 30+ page catalog to have a 2 hour turnaround with extensive revisions. Deadlines are frequently missed due to this and expectations by client are not fulfilled, thus resulting in a no-win for both the client and the agency.

• Horrible culture of fear, blame, name calling and finger pointing. A member of Senior management called a subordinate a profanity to 2 other employees in a meeting.

• Benefits are not competitive. 1 week vacation/year is standard offering in Salary Packages for Management. Fewer paid Holidays than is industry standard. Zero comp time. Health Insurance -- You have to “BUY UP” for better benefits. 90-Day Probation Period for new employees and NO PAID holidays during these 90 days.

• No new business wins in the last year.

• No creative briefs for projects until Feb. 2013.

• Most employees have little to no experience working anyplace else and are not interested in outside perspectives.

• Execution of creative is weak, pun-filled concepts and includes limited use of interesting typography.

• If you push beyond the norm or challenge the status quo, this is not the place for you. If you stand out or have been seen as a threat to your supervisor or bosses, you will be fired. If you worry less about the politics and more about doing what is best for the client, find another place to work.

• If you dare to kill the mediocre concepts that won’t work, you risk being fired. Because you dared to say ‘no’ you will be seen as ‘difficult’ or ‘spoiled’ or ‘hard to work with’.

Advice to Senior Management• “Command & Control” management style is out dated and ineffective. The key is to co-create with employees and circumstances, not exercise power or control over them.

• Don’t use profanity/name call employees to other employees.

• Don’t make decisions your teams can make just as well or better. Find as many ways as possible to give employees control over their work. Stop micro-managing.

• Manage the mood – Nobody solves tough problems when they feel discouraged.
Stop the gossip and tattle-telling up the ranks.

• Learn to give negative feedback in an informative and straightforward style. Don’t make it personal or attacking.

• Give people opportunities to recover from hard work. See that everyone is thanked.

• Staff the appropriate number of employees/freelancers for the workload and stop overloading your full-time employees to the point of meltdown and burn-out. Pay industry rates for freelancers.

• Hire a cleaning crew.

• Offer Competitive Benefits packages, including 3 weeks vacation + 1 week PTO as per the industry standards. Offer Paid Holidays per the industry standard such as Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve.

• When the creative team has to work late to meet a deadline, stay and help, don’t walk out the door at 5:30 pm.

• Kill mediocre creative concepts, rather than presenting them to clients. Kill the creative puns. Stop praising freelance work with large point size executions and only 2 fonts – Didot and Helvetica Neue.

Awesome!

Interactive Designer (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at PureRed Creative full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat culture, great work life balance, great leaders.

ConsTrying too hard to be all thing to all (potential) clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus harder on creative output - look around at other similar companies.

No loyalty

I have been working at PureRed Creative full-time for more than 3 years

ProsRoom for advancement. Reward hard work

ConsPlays favorites. People who buddy up get treated with preference.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick up more for your employees and don't let the customer/client get away with whatever they want. That's how these companies go belly up and people on both sides lose their jobs

If you're worked at a real agency, avoid this place at all costs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Pleasanton, CA

I worked at PureRed Creative full-time for less than a year

ProsEasy reverse commute away from traffic and close to BART, beautiful open workspace and the best Apple equipment for all employees, convenient suburban area

ConsTerrible culture that fires even long-term, dedicated people for making one mistake on a weekly circular in order to make an 'example' of them, poor work/life balance, sweatshop mentality, low pay, nonexistent HR, misguided management, secrecy, zero training

Advice to Senior ManagementPureRed should really be called Pure Production. Don't be fooled by their 'integrated marketing' claim. This is NOT an agency.

This is not a place for anyone who is conceptual, strategically minded or who has any agency or even in-house experience. This is a heavy print production sweatshop with poor management. Valuable talent is belittled, ignored or reprimanded in favor of those who simply 'do as they are told.' If you are creative and you have ANY advertising, branding or marketing experience (or if you are a junior creative and aspire to a real career in the advertising world), RUN – don't walk – from this place!

Keep in mind, this review is written for one reason only: to prevent another senior creative from wasting their valuable time, talent and energy. Because if you work here, you will feel like you've entered a bizarre twilight zone in which you are expected to 'unlearn' all the things that your long advertising career has taught you. You will be micromanaged. Kept out of the loop. Not introduced to clients. You will not be empowered to lead even if you were hired to do so.

There is one chief who, while very talented, has never worked anywhere else. Most of the employees here have never worked anywhere else. They have no advertising, branding or marketing experience outside this place – which means: even if they know the difference, they don't know how to change it. And they can't. Be terrified by that.

If you don't mind simply churning out work, being heavily micromanaged and don't care to challenge the status quo, then you just might survive here.

No idea what to make of their new tagline: "There are many shades of red. But there is only one PureRed." Laughable. Embarrassing. Makes a person think of hemoglobin. And bestselling S&M books.

As for their website: shamelessly bad. You will not be proud to show this one to your friends.

I'll say it one last time: RUN, don't walk from this place!

Worked for PureRed Creative? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PureRed Creative reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for PureRed Creative CEO Rick Davis. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by PureRed Creative employees.