Purity Cosmetics

Updated August 29, 2014
Updated August 29, 2014
2.9

Richard Kostick

I love Purity Cosmetics! I have grown so much throughout my time working here.

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Purity Cosmetics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Close team, friendly, positive, flexible, time-off policy!

Cons

I honestly have no cons to discuss, but the temperature changes in the office often (sometimes it's really cold) and the internet connection can be slow at times.

Great products, but looney ownership

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Purity Cosmetics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Really good vegan products -- that's the main pro but I have to have 20 words here so I'm adding fluff.

Cons

Craziest management I've ever experienced. Incredibly unprofessional, stepped over professional/legal boundaries constantly, surprised no one has sued them. Turnover was nearly 100% when I was was there, from people being fired or quitting. It was like being in a surreal comedy created by David Lynch. Nutty in a bad way.

Keep it professional. Don't spread gossip about employees. Don't create and add to drama. Give hard working qualified individuals their due.

A great place to work

Former Employee - Brand Ambassador  in  Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Oakland, CA

I worked at Purity Cosmetics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good life/work balance, nice people, products you can be proud of. Some departments have more promotions than others, as there is A LOT of mobility—upwards, sideways, outward. It has a young, active culture, so the energy is high.

Cons

Lots of work, can sometimes be stressful. Some departments are able to balance work-life more than others.

Don't loose your roots and keep a good heart for your employees

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

work for a paycheck

Current Employee - Corporate Office  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Office in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Purity Cosmetics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

one of the pros to working here would be the hard work of your co-workers. in trying to complete your job duties

Cons

the job required you to do several different job titles at one time, thus making it a challenge to do your every day job duties

in order for employees that you've entrusted to do a job you've got to allow them to fail or make mistakes. in return you need to reward them when the achieve there goals set forth by there employer.

loved it!

Former Employee - Brand Ambassador  in  Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Oakland, CA

I worked at Purity Cosmetics part-time for less than a year

Pros

gratis was a great perk! Fun, family-like atmosphere, challenging opportunities, able to utilize my own ideas for building the brand and makeup artistry.

Cons

couldn't get as much work as I'd like, 4 hour shifts sometimes! Wish I could have gotten more work so I could stay with the company!

More opportunities to be mentored by upper management would be beneficial, particularly in sales tactics!

The best job I've ever had.

Former Employee - Supply Chain  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Supply Chain in San Jose, CA

I worked at Purity Cosmetics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly environment, great teams, wonderful company to work for, fair work environment, definitely one of the most fun places to work.

Cons

I found that there weren't many downsides to working with this company, perhaps more gratis could be given out. That would make it more awesome.

Please carefully select your leadership so all stores and teams represent the best experience,even with employees.

Unhealthy workplace

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Purity Cosmetics full-time

Pros

Vegan products and some very nice people to work with.

Cons

There are many unhappy workers, there are cheerless managers and the office carries a generally dismal vibe. While the company is growing, the staffing is always shrinking. There is a high turnover rate in their office and retail stores too. Everyone behaves with caution...employees seem restrained by management. Upper management likes to micromanage and it creates a stifling environment. For a small company, the energy is robotic and lacking any fun. Workers are treated pretty badly by owners; they are belittled and talked to like children. Many are overworked and underpaid and problems brought up are ignored. This workplace is toxic, the opposite of the "healthy" cosmetics they sell. The company is eco-friendly but not socially responsible. They seem to treat animals well, but not their people. Very few people last here, so beware!

Stop isolating yourselves from your employees. Answer questions, solve problems and always stay communicating. Make sure you are always respectful and empathetic to people. Evaluate why your turnover rate is so high. Don't let your emotions replace ethical practices.

worked hard, made friends, had fun

Current Employee - Administrative  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Purity Cosmetics full-time for more than a year

Pros

You actually make a difference here. At my previous company I just did the same thing over and over again every day and even if I took a day or two off it didn't really matter because what I was doing wasn't impactful to the company. At Purity, I have a lot of freedom to really make a difference to grow the company. The management let's me run with my ideas.

Cons

Some of the previous employees were very negative and complained a lot. It made going to work really difficult knowing I had to listen to their complaining. You are challenged a lot working here, you can't sit back and relax you have to always have your A game on.

Please plan out more fun things for us employees to do together. I like the parties and social times please do more.

Unproffessional and Stressful

I worked at Purity Cosmetics full-time

Pros

Good products, nice location, access to many restaurants and shops.

Cons

This is where it gets interesting. There are only a handful of people who are happy within this company. Those same handful were probably pressured to write the "dream job" reviews by upper management. This place is the epitome of unproffessional and short sighted views; emotions get in the way of good "business" judgement. I agree with the last reviewer that stated that management's rules would not agree with most people's morals or values. This company's management likes to focus on negative, blame employees, pit colleaugues against each other, make promises they can't keep and make unproffessional decisions and remarks and the list goes on. For a small, growing company the energy is very negative. If you work here, their vegetarian and religious views will be forced on you too. It is actually the opposite of the natural, healthy products they sell because they pride themselves on being a creulty-free company but seem to be uncaring of their own employees.
    They like to spread their employees out thin so that they wear themselves out, yet do not compensate sick days. I could go on and on, but you can tell that this place is a revolving door. Very few people end up staying with this company. Most people get stressed out and quit or get fired.

You can write in as many lower cap letters, exclamation points and put "xoxo" on every message; it doesn't change how uncaring you are of your employees. You should hire a president who doesn't own the company to get a proffessional overview. Maybe then you wouldn't have such a high turn-over rate. And don't let your emotions get the best of you.

Unfortunate

I worked at Purity Cosmetics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some pros about working at this company would be helping people, the location was gorgeous, the products were amazing and you got a great discount! Furthermore, the employees I got to know on a closer level are quite wonderful people.

Cons

I would like to start off by saying that Purity Cosmetics is a very unprofessional company. Upper management quite often spread factitious stories and slandered employees. Additionally, Upper management gave really bizarre rules and instructions which would go against most peoples better judgement and moral values. Also, Products were often out of stock and the date given for them being back in stock was often a complete fabrication. Moreover, there is almost no room for advancement or raises and it was a rarity to see anyone compensated for outstanding work. Lastly, I agree with the other reviewers when they say that the turnover rate is despairingly high.

Hire someone else to do your job and stay home.

Worked for Purity Cosmetics? Contribute to the Community!