Purity Cosmetics Reviews

Ric Kostick

1. Optimistic Growth

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Purity Cosmetics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work at 100% Pure. Great products, great company, environmentally proactive, personal products and cosmetics that improve your skin's health every time you use them.
    It has to do with attitude, patience, optimism and a good work ethic. If you have a positive attitude and you share the vision of the company, then you will have a great career and the work ethic necessary to help the company succeed, therefore succeeding yourself.
    100% Pure is a fast growing company with growing pains. If you want to be part of growing and helping shape the success with your hard work, visions and ideas, and leadership skills then you will love it.

Cons

If you don't have a good work ethic, are not willing to be an initiator, visionary, and don't love the products or the opportunity to manage the direction of your future with an outstanding opportunity, then this is not the company for you.

Advice to Management

Keep the open door dialogue, keep going with your gut feelings while continuing to listen to both your loyal customers, and devoted hard working employees. Hopefully with time and more resources at my store that is positive, I can contribute the many ideas that I have used working the the business so long as well as my own company. Maybe in the future we can do video chat conference calls with the founders included on a quarterly basis to feel more a part of the company. This will especially be important as you expand....I mean we expand lol.

2. I really enjoy it

I have been working at Purity Cosmetics full-time

Pros

Working at 100% pure for me has been a wonderful experience. I have seen nothing but improvements since I first started working here. Since this is a young company employees need to understand that there will be change, improvements, and adjustments. If you have a flexible personality and can easily adapt to the amazingly fast paced growth of this company than this is a great place to work. There is so much opportunity available to employees, you just have to have the right mindset to see that the glass is half full rather than half empty. The culture and environment has greatly improved, everyone seems upbeat happy and friendly. Departments work together to tackle issues at hand, which helps to create a team mentality across the board rather than strictly within each department. Employees have made suggestions about improvements on company culture and the CEOs listened and made changes.

Cons

We get pet 2 passes to bring our pets in, (which is actually pretty awesome) I wish I could bring my Dog in more often. Seeing the CEOs pups makes me miss her so much!

Advice to Management

Please keep doing what your doing, the improvements have been amazing. I look forward to the future of this company.

Purity Cosmetics Response

May 2, 2015CEO

You made my day. I'm so happy the changes are making Purity Cosmetics a place where people are proud to work and want to work. I actually shed a tear from this, thank you for contributing here ... More

Do not work here unless you want to go insane

I have been working at Purity Cosmetics

Pros

Pros: The company discount was nice. We had 50% but it was changed to 20% recently. Which is unusual because now none of us will buy anything.

Cons

Cons:

Environment - working in a cubicle all day is horrible. It's dreadfully quiet and people are constantly gossiping about others. It's setup to be very toxic and tiresome after awhile.

Salary - The pay is awful. It's like all over the place. Some people are paid like $5 more than others for doing the same exact job! Also, it says we require certain qualifications but yet anyone is hired on.

Professionalism - gossiping is a real problem. I get tired of coming into work to have someone peek over and tell me that "so and so" said that "so and so" is "blah blah blah". We are all adults! Another thing that is irritating is passing over friends or family of others but yet "someone" is allowed to hire their relative to work directly underneath them, give me a break! since when is that even acceptable?

Communication - It is NOT good! I can email someone or talk to them directly about something and I will never get a response OR I will remind someone of an upcoming event and when the event arrives everyone is "caught off guard" because they don't pay attention. I don't know what keeps you "so busy" that you don't respond and act on things at the last minute but I see these very same people sitting at their cubicles popping their gum and sitting on their phones doing nothing.

Hiring - It's annoying to have to train someone how to do their job and when you ask what experience they have they say "none" and that they were hired on the spot. Are we desperate? I thought we had these qualifications for a reason.

Dogs - Why are the dogs allowed in the office?! they have bitten me several times!

Overview - this company tries to send out a good message with using organic products but it is like very overshadowed by the awful management. CEO if you cared about your brand you would straighten this out but since you refuse to people will keep quitting and not be loyal to your company. Please do a total re-haul on all upper management and make the office a better place to work at by making it more lively please!

Advice to Management

Re-haul the entire upper management and please get some competent people!

Business practices need to be investigated

I worked at Purity Cosmetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unlike the fake reviews I have no pros to mention about working here.

Cons

100% Pure has some of the most shady practices I've ever witnessed working in retail. The people at HQ are incompetent and very unorganised. They've cycled through more people then I can count on my two hands! This is within a few months also.
    If the CEOs truly cared about their brand they wouldn't hire unqualified people and let their subordinates abuse their power and cause trouble.
    There are plenty of other cons but I could be here all day.

Advice to Management

Don't "take risks" hiring unqualified people because they have no idea what they are doing and they abuse their power. This company is a ticking time bomb for an investigation.

Avoid this company at all costs.

I worked at Purity Cosmetics full-time

Pros

PRO:
    ~Generous 50% Discount on products ... which is no longer applicable since they removed it.

Cons

CONS:
    -Very unprofessional management and cattiness at home office. Also, it's very unprofessional to hire family to work directly underneath you... I've never heard of such a thing ... it's a perfect recipe for favoritism...which has been happening for a very long time.
    -People *shouldn't* be promoted to high management positions when their only experience is being a brand ambassador (this applies to several people) ...you have massive talent in store and you refuse to acknowledge them and you treat them badly. shame on you!
    -Store Management ~ the managers in store are not qualified whatsoever to be running the store... I've seen people get "reprimanded" for some pretty ridiculous things that would never be acceptable at a professional retailer.
    -Don't be fooled by the CEO's replies on here... it's the only time you ever hear from them...there is a protocol you're supposed to follow but how can you when all of the upper management including the CEO's are off gallivanting to wedding receptions and dinners together... they are all buddies... again...very unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Clean up your act! there is a lot of shady things going on in your company which I know for a fact that you're fully aware of but refuse to do anything about it.

Hostile, toxic, unprofessional, and stressful environment.

I worked at Purity Cosmetics full-time

Pros

As with most small companies, you will likely have the opportunity to wear a lot of hats and thus gain a wide range of experience. The company also hires for many entry level positions, so that's a plus for new grads. There are some well-meaning people. The company donates to animal charities. Great products.

Cons

Workload: Wearing a lot of hats also means chaos and disorganization for most departments. Most employees are stretched far too thin, causing tons of stress which often leaked into personal life. The stress at Purity was constant and so great, likely because management expects employees to put the company first before their own personal needs and career advancement. The question that is asked often is “what more can we get out of X employee” without much consideration for their workload, work/life balance, general happiness, etc.

Compensation: As all other reviews have stated, the pay is low. They expect you to work for much less than you deserve before you “earn” a standard pay, which is still considerably low according to industry standards.

Management: The execs don’t have a strong handle on business management - on one hand, they are often hesitant and too stingy to invest money in quality new hires, so they go for the most inexperienced people who don’t know any better and will take the low pay - then work these people extremely hard and wonder why things aren’t progressing as they expected. On the other hand (possibly in an attempt to balance out their inexperienced hires) they seek out some very experienced, high level employees and shell out 4-5x as much money for them. It creates a very unbalanced atmosphere, expecting people with such a vast range of experience to work so closely together.

Atmosphere: There’s more gossip and rumors that go around at Purity Cosmetics than your average high school. Unfortunately this stems from management (the founder). She spends a good portion of her day gossiping with employees about her personal life and about other employees, and spreading rumors and causing conflict between employees.

The positive reviews you see on here for the most part are not truthful - they are either fake (encouraged by management) or written with the hope of advancing in the company. All the negative reviews have a common theme, which should speak a lot to the reality of them.

Despite a few well-meaning people, and new benefits or improvements, the culture and environment ultimately trickles down from the top - the execs are self involved and out of touch with reality and until that changes or new management is brought in, the core of the company will not change.

Advice to Management

Show your employees you value them. Improve benefits, understand that everyone has a life outside of work and be flexible about schedules, trust your employees and give them the benefit of the doubt, follow through and deliver on things when promised.

As the leaders of the company, create a healthy atmosphere with your actions. If you gossip, you facilitate more gossip and create an atmosphere where employees feel like it’s OK to gossip. Animosity or competition between employees/departments is also completely facilitated by the actions of the leaders. Lead by example.

Praise in public, criticize in private.

Purity Cosmetics Response

May 2, 2015CEO

Thank you for taking the time to write to glassdoor. I truly appreciate it.

Yes, we do hire quite a bit, I get shocked myself when I look at the employee count approaching 150. It seems like
    ... More

No potential for career growth

Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in San Jose, CA

I worked at Purity Cosmetics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee discount and amazing product

Cons

Like one of the other reviewers called it, "Looney Ownership", is the best way to describe this place. Employees are treated poorly and talked down to like children. This place lacks professionalism and compassion. The employees are unhappy and lack energy, zero positive vibes in the atmosphere. For the most part, the employees were friendly and easy to get along with. I think we bonded more because of the emotional abuse we felt from upper management. At least, a few times a week, there was an employee sobbing saying that they’ve had enough of this place. During the time I’ve worked at HQ, there were at most 50 employees, about 20 people left due to being fired or resigning. I’ve seen about 15 new people hired. Most people don’t last a year.

They low ball you with a lower pay than your previous job, just goes to show that the ownership is unappreciative of the employees. Cheap labor over rode hiring those with experience. Part of my role was to interview candidates for the Brand Ambassador position. I sought out people friendly with prior customer service experience. When it came time to discuss pay with management, they went with hiring the person with least experience because they asked for a lower hourly rate than the others. I wanted to hire the candidate with more experience who happened to ask for a higher pay rate (trust me, it was a fair asking), management argued that the candidate was greedy, and they they didn't want somebody like that working for them.

Ownership and management aren't understanding and aren't the warmest of people, obviously not the greatest representatives of the product. I’ll admit it, I love the products, however, my family, friends, and myself refuse to use it ever again, as we won't support a company run by money hungry/evil folks. The reason I stayed with the company for 7 months was because I believed in the product, but would come home bitter toward my job, affecting my personal relationship due to distress. My friends and family helped me realize that this job was destructive to my well being and that it was time to go. When I think of 100% Pure, the first thing that comes to mind is the looney ownership, not the product, and it truly is a bummer.

Advice to Management

Appreciate people's value and share the wealth with employee. Invest in people, not just in yourselves.

Listen to the Employees Suggestions

I have been working at Purity Cosmetics part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management is great. My Store Manager is amazing and has everything in order to create a great flow in the store. She takes our suggestions into consideration and makes us feel important.

Cons

Playlist does not fit the environment we are trying to set. It should create an uplifting and comfortable environment. It does not take into consideration the customers and what they would want to hear while shopping. I have gotten multiple complaints and questions and as to why we play the music that we do and I couldn't give them a direct answer. I can say that as an employee I want to listen to uplifting music that puts everyone in a good mood.

As for the gift sets, they also do not take customers into consideration. They are always preset and never let the customers choose what THEY want. The weekly specials have been requested back from the customers or a make your own gift set (Ex: A scrub, lotion and wash for 35$) The fact that we do not have these anymore, I believe have made us lose sale opportunities because customers become upset we no longer carry any deals besides pre made gift sets.

Advice to Management

LISTEN and TAKE employee feedback into CONSIDERATION when creating these gift sets and promotions.

Create a better uplifting environment for customers and employees by thinking what kind of music WE would want to listen to.

Wins the worst job award

Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in San Jose, CA

I worked at Purity Cosmetics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great products and employee discount

Cons

The pay is not worth working here. No cohesive management styles. Extremely high turn over rate, I've never seen anything like it before. Management play favorites, there is a lot of gossip amongst employees and managers. Felt uncomfortable going to HR with concerns, as there was a lack of discretion and many employees feared they would be fired in retaliation.

Advice to Management

Stop working and bring on a CEO who has experience running a growing company

Horrible company

Former Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Purity Cosmetics

Pros

50% off employee discount
    Schedule flexibility

Cons

Store managers are promised a bonus that they never receive. The company is racist against black people. Their products are labeled incorrectly.

Advice to Management

Compensation is under the national average.
    Marketing needs to be better.
    Where is the training?