Purity Cosmetics

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014
2.5

Ric Kostick

Purity Cosmetics is a wonderful place to work at.

Current Employee - Sales in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Purity Cosmetics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great positive vibe, great culture, beautiful genuine people, beautiful work environment, cute dogs running around in the office, good chemistry between coworkers, inspiring leadership, room for growth and advancement, you learn a lot everyday. Company parties, monthly birthday celebrations, Celebrations when we hit goals. Very Organized and structured. Weekly meetings with management just proves we are on top of it. Management really cares about employees, goes out of their way to keep us happy :) where else can you come to work with donuts/pastries every Monday morning, fresh coffee everyday, and even a popcorn machine???

Cons

i can't recall any cons..

Keep doing what you're doing! It's definitely making a great improvement everyday.

Nov 24, 2014CEO

Thank you for the kind review! There must be some things we can improve on! I want to make this a place all employees will be proud of when they say 'I work for 100% Pure'.

Disappointing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Purity Cosmetics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Just like the fake review before this one, "I can't recall any pros''

Cons

Unhappy employees and high turnover rate. We are constantly firing and hiring,or people just get fed up and leave. Employees are always doing each other dirty and there is too much favoritism going on which feels like discrimination. Management favoritism greatly contributes to the deterioration around here. If you are not close to a department manager, expect to be treated unfairly. I'm actively searching for other opportunities.

All the positive reviews were encouraged by senior management.

Dec 19, 2014CEO

I'm so sorry about your current experience at the company. Our turnover rate has stabilized over the years and is under 5% for this year (2014) at HQ and nearly all of that turnover was from a ... More

Disorganized and Unprofessional

I have been working at Purity Cosmetics full-time

Pros

Good products. Animal cruelty free.

Cons

The working environment here is very unprofessional- there is constant gossip, cattiness and favoritism. The only way to move up in this company is to kiss up. With the continued growth in sales of this company and the CEO no longer having the time to do everything himself, the CEO has put his trust in to employee's that he calls "directors" and "managers" that have little to no experience in managing people. This has created an extremely high turnover rate because people are done dirty by these "directors" and "managers" all the time.

Instead of spending money on fancy cars, the chief executives need to find qualified, quality, upper management to run their business. If you aren't going to hire new upper management, offer training classes to them to teach them how to be better managers. Give employee's PTO. Offer a better work/life balance. Listen to common complaints from employee's/previous employee's.

Nov 14, 2014CEO

Thank you very much for writing your concerns. Some of the issues you bring up are very disturbing and I will do what I can to influence change to happen. I do encourage every manager and director ... More

Toxic Work Environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Purity Cosmetics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They don't use chemicals in their products.

Cons

Trust me when I say that you want to avoid working for this miserable company. Management is completely unqualified and harmful to employees. The CEOs are complete nut jobs not to mention really greedy. They make a great deal of money and compensate employees very poorly. There is constant gossip and sabotage going around between coworkers that makes this a very unhealthy workplace. Working here, you will very likely become the target of a coworker's dirty politics...The attitudes and interactions of the workers, as well as the overall environment, including employee common areas are unclean and unsafe. Rumors are constantly being spread around the workplace damaging an employee’s reputation and character which greatly affects productivity. The CEOs spoiled and obnoxious dogs are free to run around and literally bite people all day. The job's duties are unclear, and the "managers" can't define what success in the role will look like so forget about any bonuses or PTO around here. Different people give you different answers and communication here is terrible and there is absolutely no opportunity for growth within this company. Bottom line: Working here was the worst experience I've ever had. They may not use toxins in their products, but it's definitely a toxic environment to spend 8 hours a day in.

Stop being greedy and start rewarding your employees for hard work. Instead of promoting unqualified employees, start hiring qualified individuals to manage your departments. Hiring someone who is less qualified but also less intimidating than another candidate is a bad move. Good managers have the confidence to hire smart, confident candidates without feeling threatened.

Nov 15, 2014CEO

I want to thank you for taking the time to give your feedback. I will try to address all of your concerns here. ------------ Over the past year we have been formalizing our positions, job ... More

Racist!!!

I have been working at Purity Cosmetics

Pros

50% off all products
    Nice customers

Cons

Racist
    They do NOT like black people.
    Low pay
    No pto

Find a better company

Nov 24, 2014CEO

I am so sorry you feel this way. We have people from all ethnic backgrounds working for our company both in store and at HQ and we pride ourselves in our diversity of our workforce. If something ... More

I love Purity Cosmetics! I have grown so much throughout my time working here.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Purity Cosmetics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Close team, friendly, positive, flexible, time-off policy!

Cons

I honestly have no cons to discuss, but the temperature changes in the office often (sometimes it's really cold) and the internet connection can be slow at times.

Nov 15, 2014CEO

Thank you for the feedback!

The temperature is a tricky one as some people think its too hot and others think it is too cold. Finding the perfect balance is somewhat of a science!

I hear
    ... More

A great place to work

Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Oakland, CA

I worked at Purity Cosmetics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good life/work balance, nice people, products you can be proud of. Some departments have more promotions than others, as there is A LOT of mobility—upwards, sideways, outward. It has a young, active culture, so the energy is high.

Cons

Lots of work, can sometimes be stressful. Some departments are able to balance work-life more than others.

Don't loose your roots and keep a good heart for your employees

Nov 15, 2014CEO

Thank you! I agree, nice people and the purest products in the world! Yes, some departments do have more promotions than others, it sometimes depends on the growth of the department. I am ... More

Great products, but looney ownership

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Purity Cosmetics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Really good vegan products -- that's the main pro but I have to have 20 words here so I'm adding fluff.

Cons

Craziest management I've ever experienced. Incredibly unprofessional, stepped over professional/legal boundaries constantly, surprised no one has sued them. Turnover was nearly 100% when I was was there, from people being fired or quitting. It was like being in a surreal comedy created by David Lynch. Nutty in a bad way.

Keep it professional. Don't spread gossip about employees. Don't create and add to drama. Give hard working qualified individuals their due.

Nov 15, 2014CEO

Thank you for your feedback. When anything like this happens I encourage you to speak up. We did have high turnover for a while a few years ago and I am happy that this has stabilized as we have ... More

work for a paycheck

Current Employee - Corporate Office in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Office in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Purity Cosmetics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

one of the pros to working here would be the hard work of your co-workers. in trying to complete your job duties

Cons

the job required you to do several different job titles at one time, thus making it a challenge to do your every day job duties

in order for employees that you've entrusted to do a job you've got to allow them to fail or make mistakes. in return you need to reward them when the achieve there goals set forth by there employer.

Nov 15, 2014CEO

Thank you for writing your feedback, I also encourage you to come and speak with me directly on any concerns you might have and let's figure out some solutions to help improve the situation and the ... More

Unhealthy workplace

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Purity Cosmetics full-time

Pros

Vegan products and some very nice people to work with.

Cons

There are many unhappy workers, there are cheerless managers and the office carries a generally dismal vibe. While the company is growing, the staffing is always shrinking. There is a high turnover rate in their office and retail stores too. Everyone behaves with caution...employees seem restrained by management. Upper management likes to micromanage and it creates a stifling environment. For a small company, the energy is robotic and lacking any fun. Workers are treated pretty badly by owners; they are belittled and talked to like children. Many are overworked and underpaid and problems brought up are ignored. This workplace is toxic, the opposite of the "healthy" cosmetics they sell. The company is eco-friendly but not socially responsible. They seem to treat animals well, but not their people. Very few people last here, so beware!

Stop isolating yourselves from your employees. Answer questions, solve problems and always stay communicating. Make sure you are always respectful and empathetic to people. Evaluate why your turnover rate is so high. Don't let your emotions replace ethical practices.

Nov 15, 2014CEO

Thank you for writing this and I am sorry for taking over a year and a half to respond. ----------
    We have undergone numerous changes over the past 18 months, our culture is now thriving, our
    ... More