Purolator Courier

Be The First To
Add Photos

Wayne Cheeseman

Relaxed Environment

Database Analyst (Current Employee)
Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Purolator Courier full-time for more than a year

ProsVery relaxed and stress free environment

ConsHave to work with some unproductive managers

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy is it sales driven company - are others not contributing?

Great people but Canada Post will consume the business or sell it in the next 3 years

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Purolator Courier full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood cross functional employees. Great Sales and Operations.

ConsNo investment in the business, leadership not there from all VP levels and higher, happy to keep pace, no training, little internal growth, no innovation, government mindset as is owned by money losing Canada Post, little margin so they are fighting to the bottom with cost cutting measures. Sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease provide sensible and responsible corporate leadership. Taking 10 months to hire an unqualified CEO and then being completely silent on the future of a company is a MBA white paper waiting to happen. No one knows what Purolator stands for anymore.

Different locations, different experiences

Customer Service (Current Employee)

I have been working at Purolator Courier full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIf you start as a courier or dock worker, there can be lots of opportunity to grow into a management position. There are some wonderful people there and the company is good at its core business

ConsThey do not have a well-defined company culture. It really depends on who your boss is some are great to work for and with and some are terrible. The downside of people growing into management positions is that they often are not real leaders (and they don't get leadership training.)

Advice to Senior ManagementUpgrade your technology. Talk to the people on the front-line - they could provide you with all sorts of info that will make your business better.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Career planning at Purolator

Marketing Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Purolator Courier as a contractor

ProsOverall the company is good, very little interference from line managers or directors. Independence in so far as day to work is concerned. Not so stringent about rules and regulations. There is a lot of uncertainty in the organisation since they have been cutting down fat for last few months.

ConsThere is very little career planning; promotions are subjective and seldom happen. Certain managers have more say than others and can get their budgets approved for taking new hores whereas some managers have limitations. In my case I am still on a contract after 2 years and my manager could not get his budget approved to make me permanent. Some managers are complaining that they are doing the same work after 7 or 8 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on employee development and training for staff and management.

Sorter

Sorter (Current Employee)

I have been working at Purolator Courier part-time for more than 3 years

ProsLots of great people to work with; great sense of teamwork. Some managers not great, others really care, which makes all the difference.

ConsI didn't like the fact that I was forced to join the union. what do I get for my dues, other than a free copy of a collective agreement that I'll never read.

An exercise in futility

Courier (Current Employee)
Thunder Bay, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Purolator Courier full-time for more than 10 years

ProsProgressive wage structure, though due only to union representation.

ConsNot a proactive management team. This is not a critique of local management per say, but of the management culture within the corporation. They take way too long to position themselves effectively to either market conditions or more efficient means of conducting business. Quite often, management are too busy pinching pennies while dollars walk out the door.

Advice to Senior ManagementHaving earnings before taxes (EBT) of only 3.5% is atrocious. If you want to be profitable or successful, then you must emulate those who ARE successful. UPS has a EBT of 7.5%, which is over double that of Purolator.

great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Purolator Courier

Prospeople I worked with were great

ConsI have no complaints at this time

Restructuring means firing a lot of good people

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Purolator Courier full-time for less than a year

ProsGood employee discounts for shipping.

ConsRestructuring means firing a lot of good people

Company is in transition, no clear direction yet

I have been working at Purolator Courier full-time for less than a year

ProsLoyal employees, good reputation, used to be strong company culture.

ConsTough competition, too much control from Canada post.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave less meetings, do more real work.

Working with a strong team.

PM Sorter (Current Employee)
Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Purolator Courier part-time for less than a year

ProsIt's a very challenging workplace. They give a lot of training and career opportunities. Managers always listen to their employees concern. Purolator cares about their employees.

ConsSome managers are so nice that some employees don't listen to them.

Advice to Senior ManagementDisciplinary action must be implemented to those who don't take the rules seriously like using cellphones during work especially inside the dock.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Purolator Courier? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Purolator Courier reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Purolator Courier CEO Wayne Cheeseman. All 37 reviews posted anonymously by Purolator Courier employees.