Purolator Courier Reviews

Updated August 14, 2014
Updated August 14, 2014

3.2

Wayne Cheeseman

Management lacks people skills and human resources don't care.

Current Employee - Customer Service  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Purolator Courier part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay. You get to interact with customers

Cons

Union- it feels like you are working in a cult.

Listen to your employees and don't always side with management.

An organization looking for a vision that lacks leadership & visionaries, but who has the wrong people leaders in place.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Purolator Courier full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A lot of passionate people who want to see the company succeed. A brand that is recognized by most Canadians.

Cons

People leaders are poorly developed by the organization in every function, including HR. This leads to bullying, lack of communication abour performance expectations & an inability to act professionally. The majority front line supervisors up to the middle management lack interpersonal or conflict resolution skills. Good employees who do not have enough tenure to warrant staying, end up leaving. Because of ambiguity around the future of the organization, a lot of people are in a "wait & see" position, but are't driving process improvements or are being roadblocked by their superiors when they try to make the business better.

Take your exit interviews seriously, from front line sorters to upper management. There is a cultural problem in the middle levels and regardless of business knownledge and systems experience, bad management styles will prevent this organization from being successful. Knowledge transfer can take place in any role, poor leadership will ruin any chance of success. Enable your change leaders and visionaries with the power to make decisions.

Great company, lots of micromanagement

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Purolator Courier full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, lots of training, customers respect you, company car and benefits are better than average

Cons

very competitive courier industry, big territories means lots of driving, lots of micromanagement

Treat employees how you would like to be treated, consider that they are human too.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people but Canada Post will consume the business or sell it in the next 3 years

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Purolator Courier full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good cross functional employees. Great Sales and Operations.

Cons

No investment in the business, leadership not there from all VP levels and higher, happy to keep pace, no training, little internal growth, no innovation, government mindset as is owned by money losing Canada Post, little margin so they are fighting to the bottom with cost cutting measures. Sad.

Please provide sensible and responsible corporate leadership. Taking 10 months to hire an unqualified CEO and then being completely silent on the future of a company is a MBA white paper waiting to happen. No one knows what Purolator stands for anymore.

Relaxed Environment

Current Employee - Database Analyst  in  Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Database Analyst in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Purolator Courier full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very relaxed and stress free environment

Cons

Have to work with some unproductive managers

Why is it sales driven company - are others not contributing?

Different locations, different experiences

Current Employee - Customer Service
    Current Employee - Customer Service

I have been working at Purolator Courier full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

If you start as a courier or dock worker, there can be lots of opportunity to grow into a management position. There are some wonderful people there and the company is good at its core business

Cons

They do not have a well-defined company culture. It really depends on who your boss is some are great to work for and with and some are terrible. The downside of people growing into management positions is that they often are not real leaders (and they don't get leadership training.)

Upgrade your technology. Talk to the people on the front-line - they could provide you with all sorts of info that will make your business better.

Career planning at Purolator

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist  in  Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Purolator Courier as a contractor

Pros

Overall the company is good, very little interference from line managers or directors. Independence in so far as day to work is concerned. Not so stringent about rules and regulations. There is a lot of uncertainty in the organisation since they have been cutting down fat for last few months.

Cons

There is very little career planning; promotions are subjective and seldom happen. Certain managers have more say than others and can get their budgets approved for taking new hores whereas some managers have limitations. In my case I am still on a contract after 2 years and my manager could not get his budget approved to make me permanent. Some managers are complaining that they are doing the same work after 7 or 8 years.

Focus on employee development and training for staff and management.

Sorter

Current Employee - Sorter  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sorter in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Purolator Courier part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of great people to work with; great sense of teamwork. Some managers not great, others really care, which makes all the difference.

Cons

I didn't like the fact that I was forced to join the union. what do I get for my dues, other than a free copy of a collective agreement that I'll never read.

An exercise in futility

Current Employee - Courier  in  Thunder Bay, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Courier in Thunder Bay, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Purolator Courier full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Progressive wage structure, though due only to union representation.

Cons

Not a proactive management team. This is not a critique of local management per say, but of the management culture within the corporation. They take way too long to position themselves effectively to either market conditions or more efficient means of conducting business. Quite often, management are too busy pinching pennies while dollars walk out the door.

Having earnings before taxes (EBT) of only 3.5% is atrocious. If you want to be profitable or successful, then you must emulate those who ARE successful. UPS has a EBT of 7.5%, which is over double that of Purolator.

great company

I worked at Purolator Courier

Pros

people I worked with were great

Cons

I have no complaints at this time

Worked for Purolator Courier? Contribute to the Community!