Purple Communications

Robert Rae

Great Company

Current Employee - ClearCaptions in Rocklin, CA
    Current Employee - ClearCaptions in Rocklin, CA

I have been working at Purple Communications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have worked here for about a year I find this company to be a very friendly environment. I have never worked at a place where there are so many smiling and helpful faces.

The executive staff does not act superior and seems to reach out to various people in the company to really understand what the customer needs and wants are and to hear your input on the day to day and what could benefit/ help the company grow (I have personally seen many of my own or co-workers suggestions not only heard but implemented).

They always seem to be looking upward and are passionate about growth. Also, they provide decent pay with full benefits.

The culture here is diverse and wonderful. It is really refreshing to work with people that are very passionate about equal opportunity employment!

Cons

The pay is decent, definitely workable, it could in my opinion be a bit better. But they have a lot of big plans for the future and I am confident once they meet their projected growth the pay will steadily raise as well.

Great Company Doing Great Things!

I have been working at Purple Communications full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Love connecting the deaf community and creating communications products for hard of hearing
    Company is just the right size! Small enough that I feel like I can make a difference, large enough to have money and security
    Great team, works together well, everyone knows why they are here
    Great opportunity to use technology - video, VoIP, data, mobility, are all part of the products
    Leadership is open and easy going

Cons

Rotten press - because of federal regulations, every issue plays out in the press. I would think this is the worst company ever if I only read the negative press. Not true.
    Good benefits, good pay, wish it was more, but it is good enough.
    Company is in the process of growing up. Process keeps getting better, but still growing up. Glad to be a part of that change.

More information shared with the team. More team building activities. I like what you have done recently, but more to do. Keep it up.

Lacking general organization

I worked at Purple Communications

Pros

Great ideas, paid time off is standard and some great work colleagues.

Cons

Lack of leadership and most importantly lack of general organization. Structures and organization within company could be improved greatly.

Good experience with the people

Current Employee - Operations
    Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at Purple Communications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People are passionate, job is easy.

Cons

No communication from upper management about the direction and performance of the company.

Share the direction of the company, its vision and how we are performing as it relates to that vision. Give the health of the company. Are we making money? Are we struggling? What is the outlook for the next 5 years? I could go on.

Outreach representative

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Purple Communications as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

I work from home and travel to workshop and conference. I trained co-worker how to installed Monitor Video Phone. And work as tech support.

Cons

Due to company's bankrupt, force to downsize workers.

Award's manager best selling products and meets all deadline required.

Listen investors over customers is hurting this company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rocklin, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rocklin, CA

I worked at Purple Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They got many good American Sign Language and English Interpreters. They also had many good Deaf employees but they are suffer for Company's mismanagement.

Cons

Overspent terribly research and development. Even though employees made several suggestions and recommendations, CEO John Ferron and other executives chose to listen their investors over customers. They do not show the value of Deaf Culture.

Listen Deaf customers as much as you can. Trust their advice. Do not act like you are superior to them in many ways.

Good environment, good pay, questionable management.

Former Employee - Customer Care Technician in Rocklin, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Care Technician in Rocklin, CA

I worked at Purple Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, good environment. Hard to not fall in love working at Purple.

Cons

Management is hostile to innovation from entry level employees. Severe compartmentalization occurs often between departments. Management often doesn't know what they're doing.

Embrace innovation regardless of where it comes from, allow 20% of employee time to be focused towards development of Purple-related pursuits of the employee's choice. Make a real effort to reduce department compartmentalization.

Employer of Choice

Former Employee - Interpreter in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Interpreter in Oakland, CA

I worked at Purple Communications

Pros

Good salary. Center managers are generally great. Working vacation opportunities. By and large the best interpreters in the business.

Cons

Management does not understand the field. Management tries to run the workforce like they are easily replaceable rather than scarce. You cannot alienate the interpreter population and then replace them new interpreters of equal skill. There just aren't enough interpreters for that.

Interpreters are only valued for what they can do with their hands up in a booth, not for other skills. Little to no chance of advancement for interpreters, unless they also have an MBA, regardless of their other degrees or contributions to the field.

Right now it looks like Purple is getting back on the right track. It looks like they've scaled back a bit and refocused on providing good service with realistic goals in terms of work force and locations. A little respect goes a long way, treat your interpreters like you value them and they'll work hard for you. Don't act like you know more about the field than we do. Take our advice and counsel, we've been here a long time, we know what we're talking about.

No room for professional growth.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rocklin, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rocklin, CA

I have been working at Purple Communications

Pros

Good atmosphere, friendly environment. Respectful of personal time/sick days/vacation.

Cons

No annual reviews. No raises. The people making decisions don't take the NEEDS of employees into consideration.

Listen to what employees need, make it easier for us to do our jobs! Respect us for our expertise.

If you want to know what an American sweatshop is like, go to work for Purple.

I worked at Purple Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As others have said, center managers tend to be great. The interpreters are great too. Those are the only two positives.

Cons

Management is never satisfied. No amount of hard work is ever enough. There is zero coporate integrity. Log in times, asa's and demands to compete against your peers for scheduling preferences have gotten worse and worse while bennies go down and so does pay. Interpreters are not only not valued they are disrespected. There is no worse vrs/vri company to work for.

Advice can only be given to people who will listen and or care. Pardon the pun but any advice to management at Purple falls on deaf ears.

Purple Communications Photos