Purpose

Updated January 16, 2015
3.2

Purpose CEO & Co-Founder Jeremy Heimans
Jeremy Heimans

A place where what you care about and what you do all day converge

I have been working at Purpose full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The for-profit model of Purpose means we're institutionally unconstrained, incredibly creative and innovative, and very nimble. Imagine the kinds of solutions you get when you put management consultants, policy experts, behavioral economists, brand and innovation strategists, technologists, online organizers, and award-winning creatives in one company. Our steadfast commitment and belief in empowering people to bring about positive change in the world is our core motivation. In addition to driving meaningful and measurable change, our work has received numerous awards and recognition for excellence in the foundation, non-profit and corporate arenas.
    My worst day here is still better than my best day anywhere else!
    Also we get 4 weeks of vacation, which is much better than a lot of companies I've worked for.

Cons

Some of the work we do at Purpose can be emotionally taxing, depending on the project you're assigned to, so it's important to find ways to release tension. Regardless of your project or department, people have a solid work load - there's no room to shirk your responsibilities. We're all relying on each other here, so if you let something go, that lapse will have a negative effect on the project.
    People here, on average, work between 45 and 50 hours a week (sometimes more, sometimes fewer), so if you're looking for a cushy, predictable 9-5 job, this is not the place for you. Purpose maintains incredibly high standards (as do our clients) and for some people, this is a difficult adjustment when they join. The people who end up dissatisfied here tend to be (1) unaccustomed to the high degree of accountability and high standards; (2) have a negative experience with their manager (some managers don't have enough experience managing others, but the majority do and they take those responsibilities seriously), (3) expect to be promoted automatically after a certain time period rather than promoted on merit.

Purpose overworks its employees and underpays them and does not set them up for success.

Former Employee - Strategist in New York, NY

I worked at Purpose full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Interesting work; Strong strategic element

Cons

Hard to move up; Don't equip their teams or managers with the right capacities to succeed; High turnover and burnout rates; Values don't align with actions or how the company is run.

Pay your employees more and hire more people so that teams are not constantly understaffed.

Stepping stone, but not for long term.

Former Contractor - Strategist
    Former Contractor - Strategist

I worked at Purpose as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

A majority of those I've worked with were very smart, highly professional and polite.

Cons

Campaign concepts are underwhelming, it's a website, or a 1min film inside a website. Very short lived messaging, lacks "out-of-the-box" thinking and in danger of becoming a one trick pony.

Consider employing or adding digital strategists who have worked/experience in award winning pro-bono work and also strong technology bakground. Also an experienced digital copywriter would be highly beneficial.

Great experience

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Purpose

Pros

The people are genuinely caring, and very passionate and talented. People there are positive and there are barely any politics. The work is fulfilling and interesting. You learn a lot professionally and enrich your life personally.

Cons

Sometimes it's long hours

Staffing and salary should be more balanced

Prepare to be a martyr

Former Employee - Strategist in New York, NY

I worked at Purpose full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers who are brilliant and have amazing stories, the potential to work with big-name clients, leaders are visionaries,

Cons

incredibly long hours (weekends & many nights - prepare to have your relationships stressed), low pay, ridiculous turnover, unrealistic project timelines, culture is geared to the Type A personality, burnout is prevalent, consultant culture is stifling - you are encouraged to work and work and work - and praised if you just spent the entire weekend on a proposal and left your family in the dust, hard to move up

Find out why there's nearly a 60% turnover rate at the company and ADDRESS those issues, don't just throw an additional vacation day at someone who has been working 80+hour weeks for a month.

Great to be working in NYC

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Purpose full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You have to be creative when working here. You are likely to make new friends and meet interesting people.

Cons

Working long hours for little money, also weekends. There is a lot of pressure all the time.

Great Experience

Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Purpose as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great firm with management that cares. Constantly growing and works with big name clients. Challenging and rewarding. Great firm, great people. Will keep in touch with the friends I made.

You are valued as an intern at Purpose. You will be able to talk to clients and do meaningful work. Definitely a fantastic learning experience.

Cons

Stipend wasn't great. Just enough to cover costs of travel and lunch.

Purpose Photos