Putnam Associates
www.putassoc.com Boston, MA 50 to 149 Employees

Putnam Associates Reviews

Updated Mar 27, 2014
Putnam Associates – “Putnam Associates”

Not yet rated.

Remco op den Kelder

Great people, fantastic learning experience, decent work/life balance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Putnam Associates

ProsSuper smart coworkers, probably the best healthcare boutique, great placement into top grad schools

Conslocation in Burlington, relatively high stress environment with a lot of pressure

Great focused experience in pharma

Senior Associate Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Putnam Associates

ProsTremendous opportunity to work with F500 clients on very challenging problems. Heavy quantitative muscle including a lot of market research and modeling. Very strong professional development opportunities, a collaborative culture, and no up-or-out mentality creates a friendly environment. Firm looks upon its consultants as members of a family more than employees.

ConsPartnership is very very very protective of the health and direction of the firm. No one below the most senior levels is knowledgeable of project fees or what is in the pipeline. I never once heard a whisper as to the annual revenue of the firm. Firm lacks diversity overall and relies perhaps too heavily on a few core pharmaceutical clients. They note we work in "biotech and medical device" industries in addition to pharma, but in my entire tenure there, I cannot recall one med device client or project, nor too much work in biotech. Quant analysis is a strength of the firm, but consultants can find themselves pigeon-holed into the same type of project again and again if they have proven themselves capable.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen up communication about the health of the firm to staff; stop squeezing 50 consultants into office space in the suburbs designed to fit 30; bring in a partner from the outside who can source work beyond the stable of pharma clients Putnam has grown too reliant upon.

Good experience overall

Associate Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Putnam Associates

ProsIn-depth learning of the pharmaceutical, biotech, medical device and diagnostic sectors with very, very competent managers. Friendly culture with plenty of opportunity for feedback and growth.

ConsInconvenience of Burlington, MA is a considerable drawback for younger employees. Conservative culture doesn't always mesh well with the changing company demographic.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore opportunities for younger employees to interact with clients would be very beneficial for their development. Projects can also be a bit repetitive at the junior level.

Putnam Associates - boutique strat consulting firm in Boston an interesting find

Associate Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Putnam Associates

ProsPutnam Associates is a top strategy consulting firm with a great work/life balance - analysts and associates can expect less than 25% travel - this is great when compared to the sometimes 75% or more travel of lager consulting firms... another positive is the Fortune 500 clients and diverse case work in the pharma, biotech, and medical devices space. The industry is constantly in flux, interesting, and new news is always available to influence decision makers and large corporations. Putnam does a great job of fusing business talent and economic know how with years of experience in health care and science and passes this on to employees.

ConsIn the suburbs rather than downtown in the city of Boston

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue keeping junior members of staff aware of their current strengths and wakenesses, prospects for promotion, and update them on their status in a transparent way, to keep employees' value of their job at the highest level.

Great experience with top pharmaceutical manufacturers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Putnam Associates full-time

ProsPutnam is full of hardworking, smart people. The projects are engaging and challenging, with a great deal of responsibility to assume.

ConsThe company is located in Burlington, Massachusetts, which is not ideal and essentially requires a car. There is not always a lot of variety in projects.

Putnam

I have been working at Putnam Associates

Pros- low travel
- strategy focused projects

Cons- no company growth
- limited upward mobility

Advice to Senior Management- expand company capabilities and types of casework
- communicate company vision to employees

Worked for Putnam Associates? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Putnam Associates reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Putnam Associates CEO Remco op den Kelder. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by Putnam Associates employees.