PwC

PwC Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jul 23, 2014

PwC US Chairman & Senior Partner Robert Moritz

Robert Moritz

Pros
  • Work life balance worked very well and they have some solid benefits for employees(in 234 reviews)

• It is a great place to start your career if you want to stay in accounting(in 115 reviews)

Cons
  • Also work life balance is very difficult to achieve until it gets to the problem stage(in 801 reviews)

• Long hours during busy season but thats to be expected at any audit firm in the city(in 784 reviews)

142 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company to work for

Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat benefits and forward looking company which makes this company a great company to work for.

ConsComplicated organizational structure and review process makes it difficult for promotion

People Who Care, great place to build career

Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsIntelligent, driven colleagues
    Work with F500 companies
    Top notch support

ConsCertain groups can be very hierarchical
    Diversity can trump performance in performance reviews

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to pay for performance and create incentives for high achievers

Managing Director

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsPwC is an excellent consultancy with deep capabilities across a number of functional areas and solid industry expertise

ConsNot as committed as a practice to human capital consulting as to technology or business consulting work

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Job Shadow

Job Shadow (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsWide range of exposure
    Got to interact with senior partners a lot
    Seemed interested in all shadowers

ConsLectures rather than real shadow
    Very unorganized when I arrived
    Too many shadowers at once

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow shadowers to actually shadow employees

Difficult work life balance, but great learning environment

Senior Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat salary and benefits, working with some of the smartest people in the industry, brand name recognition, scope and impact of engagements, opportunities for learning and advancement, woman-friendly work environment

ConsExcessive work hours and constant travel, Sunday-Friday night work week, very little personal time during engagements but partially offset by generous time off and vacation benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementReward working smart rather than putting in prolonged hours. Excessive time worked leads to diminished productivity and errors.

Great place to work

Advisory Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat people, great work environment, management that actually cares about their people

ConsHigh travel requirements...can expect 100% travel within the advisory practice, mon-thurs

Advice to Senior ManagementLeverage virtual communication tools to decrease travel requirements

Amazing, PwC really lives up to the hype.

Internship (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe people really make the experience in public accounting. Being in a room for hours on end with people you enjoy makes working long hours a lot more enjoyable. PwC also has the best clients and are great about transferring you to a new client in a timely fashion as long as your a good performer.

ConsWork life balance can be a challenge at time but it is definitely worth the experience you will gain at the best public accounting firm in the U.S.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Mediocre - quality varies widely by group

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros1. Everyone knows PwC
    2. PwC MCS (PwC's pre 2002 consulting arm which was sold to IBM) had a great rep and it gives current day advisory a halo.
    3. Some groups are world class (deals & accounting related advisory services)

Cons1. Ridged silos prevent groups from working together. I worked on a client where there were 3 groups pitching for the same project, and none knew the others were involved.
    2. Quality varies widely by group. This may be a product of all of the recent acquisitions (diamond, bearingpoint, prtm, etc...)
    3. Project Performance reviews have little correlation to annual reviews

Advice to Senior ManagementSplit out consulting from accounting (eg Deloitte )

Good place to start your career

Audit Senior Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros- young group of talented people
    - good chance to gain exposure to a number of different companies and industries
    - teaches time management and organizational skills given the amount of responsibility taken on early in career
    - good travel opportunities

Cons- hours can be very long and minimum hours required during busy season
    - never get to dive too deep into a particular area given budget and the amount of work that needs to get done
    - promotion schedule generally lags competitiors by a year.

Coalition building in a shark tank

Director (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat development, experience and supportive flexibility

ConsWork-life balance, silo-ed thinking and lack of diversity at the top

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more consistency in process, infrastructure and hold partners accountable for modeling the behaviors you expect from staff.

Worked for PwC? Contribute to the Community!