PwC

5,425 Reviews

PwC US Chairman & Senior Partner Robert Moritz
Robert Moritz
1,159 Ratings

Pros
  • No work-life balance during busy season because the nature of assurance work (in 257 reviews)

• You learn a lot about how to run complex businesses in fast-changing environments (in 132 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life Balance does not exist as much as they say they are still working on it (in 930 reviews)

• Long hours that often keep me at the office or working from home late at night (in 866 reviews)

More Highlights

157 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

PwC - Transaction Services

Former Employee - Transaction Services Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Transaction Services Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at PwC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great learning opportunity to see a lot of deals and learn some skill sets (excel / ppt) that are highly recognized in finance.

Cons

Be prepared to work investment banking hours at an accountants compensation

Increase compensation - turnover will decrease if you pay more in line with bankers and transaction based consultants.

Good experience, but zero work/life balance

Former Employee - Tax Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Tax Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at PwC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a good place to gain a lot of experience working on many different aspects of each project. Great benefits and compensation. Since it is a big firm, there are a lot of opportunities to work across lines of service and get involved in different areas.

Cons

Very hierarchical. The work/life balance is nearly non-existent, as multiple conflicting priorities require long hours, continuing work after leaving the office, and working on weekends.

Really evaluate the hours that people are working, and the budgeted time requirements for each project.

Experienced Associate

Current Employee - Risk Assurance Experienced Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Risk Assurance Experienced Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

PwC is really pushing flexibility with your schedule, as well as making big strides in new technology, considering we're "Going Google" here at PwC and moving to the Google cloud and email for our work. PwC is also great at supporting women in their careers. Love the exposure to big clients and having PwC on the resume.

Cons

Some difficulty with work-life balance for a young professional without a family but teams and higher up managers are getting better and better with flexibility

Ready for a change

Current Employee - Tax Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Tax Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You can make it to the next level in a rather short period of time.

Cons

You work way too many hours

It's time to increase salaries and provide more vacation.

Pretty good

Current Employee - Tax Intern in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Tax Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PwC as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Got along with the people I worked with. Similar personalities.

Cons

Fairly low pay (compared to my friends in similar fields) for the first few year.
    Must pass CPA for bonus if in accounting service lines. Advisory gets the bonus just for signing.

Positive and Exciting

Current Employee - Advisory Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Advisory Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities to learn and grow

Cons

Not great compensation and limited promotion opportunities

Good experience, great opportunity for growth

Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at PwC as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Substantial and engaging work; seniors very helpful and supportive - felt very comfortable talking to them.

Cons

Firm almost too big -- felt very disjoint from people in the office that I did not work with.

It is a great company where you can build your career as a consultant

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PwC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

We provide you to grow as an expert early in your career instead of a generalist model that other consulting firms apply.

Cons

Due to such a business model, it may be difficult to get exposure to many different industries.

Great firm if you don't care about having a work-life balance

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Continuous learning opportunities- you'll find yourself always doing something that you haven't done before, the nature of the work puts you outside of your comfort zone and pushes you to learn
    Good team work - people are big four are smart and always willing to share their knowledge
    Moving up the ladder - you know when you'll make to what position, and it's generally quicker than corporate just because it's a big firm and has openings
    Fine compensation and benefits - it's not bad, can't compare to other high paying jobs like IT, IBD, trading etc., but not bad
    Career Opportunities - we get a lot of emails from head hunters, they know big four train people well. But if you are looking for something that's not accounting/internal audit it may be a little bit tricky.

Cons

No work-life balance - if you don't mind a 90% work 10% life this is the place for you. They talk about busy season as if there's an "off season", but actually during the supposedly lighter season you are working at least 40-hour weeks like any other job's normal hour, and if you get put on a 3/30, 6/30 or 9/30 year end guess what -you'll just have many "busy seasons" every year.
    Terrible commute - for at least 4 months in a year I drive 2 hours each way to my client, and working more than 14 hours per day and at least 6 days a week during those months. Other months are generally a normal 40 hour week, but most times still need to commute for at least an hour each way. This was fine when I started, but it gets really really annoying.
    Cultures - This varies by offices, so you may love it or hate it. But I can say that everyone I get along with left the firm pretty quickly.

Great first job out of college

Current Employee - Technology Consultant- Experienced Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Technology Consultant- Experienced Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Typically work for high profile clients and opportunity for 80% travel, great vacation policy

Cons

Performance review and promotion process is out-of-your hands, lots of politics, terrible learning and development programs, 50+ hours at a minimum for every project, salary is not as high as our direct competitors although we are ranked higher