PwC Reviews

Reset

Not a bad place to work

Former Employee - Advisory Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Advisory Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at PwC (Less than a year)

Pros

Promotes work/life balance to all employees

Cons

group I worked in was not very concerned with work/life balance, and tended to ignore remote employees

Advice to Management

drive home the "balance" message throughout all organizations in the firm

Great place to start your career

Current Employee - PwC Assurance Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - PwC Assurance Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PwC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits Company phone Work with a ton of great people Good post-college job since you work with tons of people in their early to mid 20's

Cons

Pay, people usually get very large raises when they leave and go somewhere else Job can be monotonous at times Dealing with client pushback It's hard to feel like you're really adding value to the companies you audit

Advice to Management

Try to utilize resources more during the off-season so there isn't such a crunch during busy season.

3. Great Company and Growing Rapidly

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PwC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture overall although it varies heavily depending on which group you are aligned to. The company is generally very flexible with travel/personal arrangements. There are great professional and career opportunities and the chain of command is fairly flat.

Cons

Fairly structured in terms of growth/promotion as you need to spend a set amount of time at each level before even being considered for promotion, but the senior leadership cultivates a great culture of coaching and development to help. PwC should more competitively pay its people.

Advice to Management

Top talent leaves first. If you want to compete with top tier strategy firms, you need to pay the team accordingly

The stories are true

Current Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PwC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A great place to start your career and get the Big 4 stress test branded to your resume. A lot of experience across several large client's that grant you a sense of pride. Pay CAN be competitive in certain lines of service. Allows/encourages you to take the initiative and focus on your pet projects (community activism, mentoring, volunteering, etc.). A lot of young like minded people to work with, which can keep the atmosphere light and enjoyable. A great mix of culturally diverse individuals and the option to work in several countries.

Cons

The hours truly suck. Let me lay out the math to you. As an associate you are responsible for charging 90% of your hours worked to a client....taking the standard year's hours 2080 (40 hrs by 52 weeks), that 1872 hours that have to be charged to the client. However, with all the additional training and meeting times, you will likely have to work about 2,200 hours to meet that goal. If you are up for promotion, plan to work about 2,400 to 2,600 hours while you work on a lot more non-chargeable work and still have to meet your metrics. Oh and never mind the goal, I have never been under 95% since I have been here, so my yearly actual hours are around 2,500. That's about an extra 3 months of work a year. The politics. Seems like they reared their ugly head even greater this year. To quote a partner who spoke at our national training, "At the Senior Associate level, it is WHAT you know. At the Manager level, it is WHO you know. At the Director and above, it is who knows YOU."...they said it with an air of pride...that is the worst things I have ever heard anyone say, and opens the door to largely incompetent people being in charge, in an industry in which WHAT you know is of utmost importance across the entire spectrum. Adding gasoline to the flame is the new rating system. They replaced a very thorough review system with a sub par online tool, that ultimately boiled your rating and promotion down to a popularity contest. The reasons I heard was that the old system was time consuming and cumbersome. Well, in regards to peoples merit increases and promotions, I would hope there was some time involved in the decision rather than a panel of gossip mongers deciding the future of people's employment. I guess partners were just a little uneasy about conducting some actual work. To say there are many many people upset about their results because of this system is an understatement. Finally, heaven forbid you should actually be vocal about improving a process and or pointing out some flaws in other people's approach. Case in point, a conversation I had with a Director; "Don't waste time showing them where the problem is, just tell them how to fix it."...Uhm, how are we supposed to fix the problem if we don't pinpoint what the issue is. Regardless this type of stance paints a target on your back you will not be able to wash off. Managers and above with maneuver and shift blame to anyone not in their favor at the slightest chance. Senior Associates get it the worst and is the reason why they cannot keep them for very long. They say they want to promote from within, but will then pass up good employees for promotion because they have a hard on for an external hire. Flexibility is great but it will be thrown back in your face. If you have a vacation planned for a month, and don't plan to work during it, plan to get a subpar rating. Even if you schedule all meetings prior to your vacation, the client will likely cancel and then schedule one right smack dab in the middle of your cruise/ski trip/etc...and in this case the client is god, so you better find a way to take that call. Yeah, it's only an hour or so, but you will be looked down upon for your vacation, like how dare you take time off so that you actually don't get burned out or go insane from working too many hours.

Advice to Management

First a note to employees; get in, get your experience, and then get out. Cash in the PwC credits for a nice pay bump and go to industry...leave the door open because like I said, they have a hard on for external hires. So take advantage of that. For management, clean house upper management. Seriously. It carries the old thought processes from decades ago. While they are trying to make changes, and senior associates and associates buy into the mantra, upper management is light years behind. Frankly, I feel they are threatened by the younger generation. We are more technically savvy and possess better core competencies than our older counter parts. Thus they are struggling to keep their hold for many years to come. With our generation being more inclined to search for greener pastures, I wonder how long it is going to take you to realize the only people who are sticking around are those that don't have the option/skill set to leave? Then what are you left with...a bunch of people who are great at gaming the system. Finally, let's make success measured more than how well you e-mail, construct powerpoint presentations, and mingle with the partner. It's sad.

Best Move for an Accounting Background (Financial Due Diligence)

Current Employee - Manager - Advisory in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager - Advisory in Chicago, IL

Pros

Challenging and rewarding work environment. Great leadership and focus on personal development. Success is rewarded appropriately via bonuses, promotions and verbal recognition. You will learn how to evaluate businesses on a financial level and will build a strong analytical business mindset. Great exposure to management at top private equity firms and corporate clients.

Cons

To excel, you need to be on call 24/7 and willing to travel halfway across the world in a couple hours notice. This is fun when you are young, but more difficult once you have a family. If you do not catch on quickly, you will quickly fall behind and need to switch careers again as it will be too overwhelming.

PwC

Current Employee - Experienced Associate Internal Audit in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Experienced Associate Internal Audit in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PwC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunities for career advancement

Cons

Culture is cut throat and humanless

8. Fantastic Company

Former Employee - Tax Accountant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Tax Accountant in Chicago, IL

I worked at PwC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, generous compensation/total rewards, continuing education opportunities, constant mentorship and real time feedback.

Cons

Inconsistent hours/workload, lack of middle management employees,

9. "Slow progress but friendly environment"

Former Employee - Experienced Associate - Advisory in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Experienced Associate - Advisory in Chicago, IL

I worked at PwC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Lots of benefits, supportive environment

Cons

- Career growth is not based on individual capabilities

Advice to Management

Connect more with individual teams

10. Hard work, learn lots

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PwC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Knowledge sharing culture. Smart co-workers.

Cons

Demanding. Stressful. Long Hours.

11. Excellent place to work.

Current Employee - Risk Assurance Experienced Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Risk Assurance Experienced Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PwC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The firm is Great for experience, access to top clients, Many training opportunities, only hires the best personnel.overall an excellent place to work

Cons

There are none so far. However sometimes new joiners can get a little lost if they are deployed very soon after employment.

Showing 204 of 7,312 reviews