PwC Reviews

• Chicago, IL Area
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset

1. It's a job, and it could be worse.

Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PwC

Pros

Flexibility, pride, name recgonition, and compensation.

Cons

A recent de-emphasis on specialization.

Advice to Management

Look at other Firm's pay scales a little harder and don't make somebody leave to make more money or get promoted!

2. Great place to start your career, it is what you make of it.

Current Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PwC

Pros

Workforce is very motivated creating an environment of people who are willing to get the job done. The best part of this job is the people, as it will be difficult to find other employers with the same competance.

Cons

Long hours and very demanding senior staff. When searching for opportunities within the firm it is often diffiult to get the experiences you want. I have receved performance feedback of exceeds expectations continously througout my employment at PwC and because of this my partners do not want to remove me from my engagements to allow me to try other opportunities.

Advice to Management

Focus more on rewarding employees for work performed, other than monetary compensation

Spent 8 years there and overall a positive experience.

Former Employee - Tax Senior Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Tax Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at PwC

Pros

Once you progress, the work/life balance at PwC becomes very good. It is not the type of place you need to sit around and show face time and most partners are good about letting you dictate your own schedules. It is also a somewhat recession proof company - bonuses may go down but you will still have a decent salary and good benefits.

Cons

Like most job, the bonuses should be better. Allocation amongst groups of revenue takes away from successful groups lower ranking employees getting their fair share. Plus, if you sell new business (as in relationship) they don't allocate you much credit - maybe 5 to 10 at year and say it helps with partner admission down the road, never a guaranteed thing. Also, they have a lot of HR overhang - the people just keep coming up with new ways to keep you busy to justify their jobs.

Advice to Management

Basically they are doing a good job. They need better incentives though for high performers. You can only get 1 rated so long and then receive a bonus that, all in all, just helps to pay some bills, take a nice vacation, and that does not help a build a nest egg. Many high performers with an entrepreneurial bent wind up leaving - as I did.

5. Good place to start a career

I have been working at PwC

Pros

A clear career path and fair competition

Cons

Long hours during busy season

Advice to Management

Generally well-prepared technically, sometimes need to be better trained in soft skills

6. Network...Network...Network

Current Employee - Advisory Associate in New Chicago, IN
    Current Employee - Advisory Associate in New Chicago, IN

I have been working at PwC

Pros

Great place to start your career.

Cons

Build a network fast, the sooner the better. It's all about who you know in order to get promoted. Putting in the hours and submitting quality work, will distinguish you from your peers, but at the end of the day who you know is very important. They also like to recruit individuals with strong communication skills, this is definitely not overlooked at PwC.

Advice to Management

Pay Better

7. PWC The Big 4 experience

I have been working at PwC

Pros

PWC is one of the "Big 4" accounting firms and provides all of their employess with excellent salaries, benefits and challenges. The Chicago office is large, but since i spend most of my time out on audits, I don't spend much time there. I feel like I am surrounded by an educated and qualified staff. The work week is manageable and the vacation time is adequate even in the first few years of employment. I am overall glad that I accepted a position with PWC. The years that I will spend with this company will open the doors to many other firms and corporate work in the future.

Cons

Work Place Climate One of the biggest downsides of working out of Chicago office is that there is a very cutthroat attitude among many of the associates. As with any business that operates under a partnership, rivalries arrise. The partners tend to gravitate towards their own circles and create a work climate that can be intimidating at times. Audit Audit Audit My first couple of years were spent on audits which is not exactly the most titilating work. I would reccomend that you know exactly what type of accounting you would like to get into to before you accept a job with a large accounting firm.

Advice to Management

Lighten Up

8. PricewaterhouseCoopers Overiew

Current Employee - Experienced Audit Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Experienced Audit Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PwC

Pros

Challenging work provides great growth opportunities and exposure. Roles and responsibilities help staff develop at accelerated rates.

Cons

Expectations are high and most work is executed under high stress and tight deadlines.

Advice to Management

Management should be more open regarding challenges and opportunities the firm faces.

9. General review

Former Employee - Experienced Associate At PricewaterhouseCoopers in Chicago, IL

I worked at PwC

Pros

Environment, experience and pay. Good work environment, challenging and rewarding

Cons

Limited placements, may not get exactly what looking for

Advice to Management

Need more feedback

10. Dry work but great company to be with

I have been working at PwC

Pros

The firm is well respected and well connected. It offers fantastic on the job training opportunities for interacting with clients. It's a challenge - there are many long days, but the firm recognizes that and in the 'off season' the job is quite flexible. Compensation seems competitive. However, from what I gather, does not seem to increase as much as you would expect until you hit the manager level. You don't really have a 'boss' in the traditional sense because you're often switching teams.

Cons

Audit work is seldom interesting. Projects are often understaffed which leads to an imbalance of hours.

Advice to Management

Increase efforts to have interaction between partners and staff.

11. Pretty good place to launch your career.

I have been working at PwC

Pros

The pay is good and you are able to learn a lot very quickly. The people you work with are generally very intelligent.

Cons

The hours can be somewhat taxing, and initially, you may feel like you aren't really able to contribute much or add value.

Advice to Management

While there is a high focus on training, the firm should do more to help new hires to transition into the firm.

Showing 202 of 7,058 reviews