PwC Reviews

Reset

Positive and Exciting

Current Employee - Advisory Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Advisory Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PwC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities to learn and grow

Cons

Not great compensation and limited promotion opportunities

Great firm if you don't care about having a work-life balance

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PwC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Continuous learning opportunities- you'll find yourself always doing something that you haven't done before, the nature of the work puts you outside of your comfort zone and pushes you to learn Good team work - people are big four are smart and always willing to share their knowledge Moving up the ladder - you know when you'll make to what position, and it's generally quicker than corporate just because it's a big firm and has openings Fine compensation and benefits - it's not bad, can't compare to other high paying jobs like IT, IBD, trading etc., but not bad Career Opportunities - we get a lot of emails from head hunters, they know big four train people well. But if you are looking for something that's not accounting/internal audit it may be a little bit tricky.

Cons

No work-life balance - if you don't mind a 90% work 10% life this is the place for you. They talk about busy season as if there's an "off season", but actually during the supposedly lighter season you are working at least 40-hour weeks like any other job's normal hour, and if you get put on a 3/30, 6/30 or 9/30 year end guess what -you'll just have many "busy seasons" every year. Terrible commute - for at least 4 months in a year I drive 2 hours each way to my client, and working more than 14 hours per day and at least 6 days a week during those months. Other months are generally a normal 40 hour week, but most times still need to commute for at least an hour each way. This was fine when I started, but it gets really really annoying. Cultures - This varies by offices, so you may love it or hate it. But I can say that everyone I get along with left the firm pretty quickly.

3. It is a great company where you can build your career as a consultant

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PwC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We provide you to grow as an expert early in your career instead of a generalist model that other consulting firms apply.

Cons

Due to such a business model, it may be difficult to get exposure to many different industries.

Great first job out of college

Current Employee - Technology Consultant- Experienced Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Technology Consultant- Experienced Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PwC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Typically work for high profile clients and opportunity for 80% travel, great vacation policy

Cons

Performance review and promotion process is out-of-your hands, lots of politics, terrible learning and development programs, 50+ hours at a minimum for every project, salary is not as high as our direct competitors although we are ranked higher

6. Great learning experience with many opportunities that open up .

Current Employee - IAS Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - IAS Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PwC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Provides great opportunities after you leave public accounting and the culture was pretty relaxed.

Cons

Long hours, long nights, long weekends.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

7. Good people, good place to start

Former Employee - Actuary in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Actuary in Chicago, IL

I worked at PwC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most people were great to work with. Lots of social events, especially in the summer. They also had a good new-hire educational program.

Cons

The monotonous content of the work and pressures of client hours combined for a very negative environment a few times per year. Certain upper management didn't respect personal time.

Advice to Management

In general, experience was positive, but managers and directors who are workaholics often expected the same approach from their employees.

8. Great work, great company...if you want to set the stage for your growth.

Current Employee - Director - Transaction Services in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director - Transaction Services in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PwC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Top notch big 4 to work for..no questions asked. Great leadership....

Cons

None, that I can see really. Every organization has its small issues..but nothing worth mentioning..

Advice to Management

Provide leadership training to partners so they can understand that being a leader means being "unbiased" to everyone on their group...stop having "favorites"!

Great people, but underpaid

Current Employee - Transaction Services Experienced Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Transaction Services Experienced Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PwC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

What keeps me coming back to work every day is the people I work with in Transaction Services. They're great people. Everyone is highly intelligent and maintains similar interests in the market. I also enjoy doing the business development work which isn't present in other groups.

Cons

The pay. By far and away the biggest issue with Transaction Services is the pay. You're always going to get less than you think you should be getting. Your hours will be a bit better than auditor hours (no busy season thank god) and your pay will be essentially identical to an auditors despite doing deal-based work and having bill rates triple those of an auditor. It's insulting to sit at the table with the bankers and lawyers and know they're being paid at least 50% more than you are. PwC also generally insists on a 3-year promotion cycle despite the rest of the financial world operating on a 2-year promotion cycle. Titles are just titles, what matters is pay which you will be forever disappointed with at PwC.

Advice to Management

Pay the people what we're worth. If our bill rates are 2-3 times those of auditor bill rates, how can you justify paying us just a thousand or two more than an auditor?

10. Good learning experience, hard to achieve work-life balance

Current Employee - Tax Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Tax Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PwC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Learning experience, variety of projects

Cons

long working hours, compensation is not good considering the hours.

11. Run away from Tax - Financial Services.

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at PwC as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

You will learn A LOT not only about tax but also about yourself and your career aspirations. If you're trying to decide if you want to do public accounting, an internship during the winter season is a great resource.

Cons

Zero work/life balance. The salary offer I got was not worth the hours.

Showing 202 of 7,017 reviews