PwC

PwC Reviews in Florham Park, NJ

Updated Jul 15, 2014

PwC US Chairman & Senior Partner Robert Moritz

Robert Moritz

Pros
  • No work-life balance during busy season because the nature of assurance work (in 237 reviews)

• It is a great place to start your career if you want to stay in accounting (in 116 reviews)

Cons
  • Also work life balance is very difficult to achieve until it gets to the problem stage (in 803 reviews)

• Long hours during busy season but thats to be expected at any audit firm in the city (in 787 reviews)

More Highlights
28 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The real deal

Senior Associate - IFS (Current Employee) Florham Park, NJ

ProsPwC professionals care about their co-workers and PwC's corporate policies allows that to make a difference. There is a top-down focus on flexibility and what that means to each employee and team. No man is an island, so arrangements that are made (telecommuting, flex time, etc) need to work for all parties involved, but PwC wants employees to be balanced, and thus, stay with the firm. The work is exciting, the culture is innovative, and at the end of the day, you feel like you work for the best of the best and that somehow that company really likes you too. Hard work is applauded although success is expected. You want to work hard in a place like this.

ConsHours can be long in client facing roles. Growth opportunities for internal firm services staff do exist, but require more patience, networking and finesse to obtain. Large company structure can mean red tape at times. Treat these cons with a 15% weight - the pro's outweigh them by far.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work, continue to innovate as the workplace of the future, and trust your people to take on new assignments outside of their typical wheelhouse.

PwC - Where WORK/LIFE BALANCE is non-existent

Assurance Associate (Current Employee) Florham Park, NJ

ProsPromotion track is solid but compensation does not match responsibility (more like stress). Run away recent graduates!

ConsMinimal Compensation is not worth the stress and hours.

What is the purpose of being an "auditor" if at the end of the day we let these companies submit ridiculous financials. It's a joke; there are no values. The company will do whatever to "make it work" and keep a client

Invests a great deal into the learning and development of staff.

Experienced Audit Associate (Current Employee) Florham Park, NJ

ProsAnnual promotions, clear career track, stable.

ConsVery long hours and alot of travel.

Advice to Senior ManagementLack of opportunities.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company but very competitive. lack of staffs. so end up working more

Project Manager (Current Employee) Florham Park, NJ

Prosgood pay and various learning. lot of training makes me learn a lot

Conscompetitive and politics there is a favoritism

Advice to Senior Managementmore payraise annually. Otherwise, ppl will keep leaving the firm

Experience has been rewarding and had a lot of challenges. The Company truly cares for its people.

Assurance Senior Manager (Current Employee) Florham Park, NJ

ProsChallenging work environment, opportunities for advancement, mentoring opportunities which lend to great networking and team relationships

ConsNeed to focus on clients and life can take a back door, overtime is tremendous, regulatory burden as it relates to inspections

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has made great strides the past few years and needs to keep it up with continued competitive salaries and bonus.

Its a great job, but the office life leaves a lot to be desired.

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Florham Park, NJ

ProsI've had a lot of opportunity to work on projects I've shown interest in. When management knows that you do good work and they can rely on you, they do what they can to keep you engaged and happy.

ConsThe Florham Park office is a place where partners come to work for 2-3 years then return home. The office doesn't socialize that much, and on many days the office seems empty. I swear on Fridays during the Summer I can see the tumbleweeds roll through the isles.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate new ways to introduce incoming staff to those already in the office. Try to build up a sense of community, with fun events and team building exercises.

Be part of the audit machine for a couple of years, then leave for greener pastures.

Senior Associate (Former Employee) Florham Park, NJ

Pros- Excellent job opportunities outside of public accounting when/if you make the move
    - Generally work with teams in your age range/generation
    - If you have the stomach for high-stress environments, working here galvanizes your work ethic and bedside manner whenever you decide to move out of public accounting and into industry

Cons- Partner track now has increased from 12-14up to 15-18+ years. Do you really want to spend over half of your career becoming king of the audit monkeys?
    - Different industries/market team have distinctively different cultures
    - Working with colleagues can be very hit or miss. If you're on the bad end of the spectrum, be ready to be exposed to hypocritical, backstabbing management that WILL remember and disclose every single screw-up you make on your performance evaluations
    - Jobs are consistently underestimated (and consequently, understaffed and underbudgeted)
    - Significant lack of appreciation/respect/coaching for associates/senior associates, particularly in light of recent "enhancements" in audit "quality"

Advice to Senior ManagementAudit quality is under heavy fire due to the PCAOB laying down the law on all Big 4 firms - partly due to the regulatory body trying to substantiate its existence, but mostly because the firms were awful at GAAS auditing for the sake of efficiency (which is now rearing its ugly head).

As a result, staff get very poor coaching, budgets are overrun, and audit clients are upset at the increase in fees without any perceived value add. On all fronts, staff aren't able to defend something they have no faith in.

Stand up to the PCAOB instead of rolling over and bending backwards to satisfy their observations, and possibly work with them and the ASB to devise a more reasonable set of GAAS. Otherwise, just get out of auditing in general and focus on advisory/consulting instead, because it's clearly not as sustainable a practice as it was decades ago/post-SOX.

Excellent place to start

Audit Senior (Former Employee) Florham Park, NJ

ProsLearn to manage workload and multi task independently

ConsVery few cons. More of an extension of college for some first-years.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Challenging work but a lot of room to grow

Tax Associate (Former Employee) Florham Park, NJ

ProsThe people are cool. You get to travel around to difference companies that you are working with as part of your engagement and experience different company culture.

ConsBusy season is pretty awful. Terribly long hours for months on end. You kind of forget you are a person for a little bit until it is over.

Executive Assistant Role

Executive Assistant (Current Employee) Florham Park, NJ

ProsGreat company, nice place to work

ConsThey are creating secretarial pools and the ratio for partner support is very high, little recognition for the EAs who work hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more support staff, get rid of the dead weight and people not performing, gossipers and reward hard work with more spot bonuses and better increases.

Worked for PwC? Contribute to the Community!