PwC Reviews

Robert Moritz

1. Managing consulting

Current Employee - Manager in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in McLean, VA

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fast paced, career oriented, good people

Cons

Competitive, quality control, pace of work

Advice to Management

Chill out.

2. Great experience, but a hyper critical environment.

Current Employee - Advisory Manager in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Advisory Manager in McLean, VA

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Brand appeal. Training. Lots of opportunity if your able to conform to the rules.

Cons

Hyper critical environment. Growth and development focusing too much on your weaknesses (often irrelevant ones not related to your career path) and not enough on your strengths. So much overhead and administrative work. A good 8-10 hours a week required to stay on top of admin responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Realize the talent pool is changing. Talent are no longer are motivated by what motivated you at their level. Adapting takes more than revised branding and internal messaging efforts.

3. Sr Associate (treated as Sr Mgr)

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at PwC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great salary and benefits pkg comparatively among Big 4

Cons

Completely stacked with incompetent , skill lacking MBAs that rely entirely on the meager amount of qualified technical staff. Work you to the bone and then add 20 hrs+ weekly in admin BS. Mgrs regularly take all credit from savvy underlings to include accolades, bonuses and promotions.

Advice to Management

Ensure all managers have a modicum of real technical expertise, particularly in tech expertise rich engagements. Should allow departure from heavy handed verticals to improve career opportunities.

An Employer that Falsely Advertises its Brand: Poor Value System, No Work-Life Balance, Old-Boys Network, and Toxicity

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at PwC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Admittedly Strong Hygiene Factors: Name, Advertised Brand, Historical Reputation, Decent Pay (on the surface if you don't factor in math on the long hours), Good Benefits, Minor Travel and Office Perks

Cons

Where to Start? Poor motivators for more seasoned employees, especially those coming in mid-career. A variety of demoralizing factors:
    passive aggressive leaders, young managers and director-level employees (mid 20’s thru mid 30’s)) who manage much more mature, seasoned, and frankly effective strong performers who were hired in as more junior (associate and senior associate levels) and are forced to submit to this upside down management structure. These younger managers and directors are often times immature (chronically and emotionally), have no management skills so they attempt to micro-manage, have short fuses, exhibit an utter lack of respect for the individual, and have a tendency to snap at you when you don’t immediately meet their ridiculous and petty demands. In short, they are bullies! These people also expect you to regularly work 10+ hour days, be available on email until late into the night, and sacrifice your weekends, at times for work assignments that can easily wait until Monday morning. Additionally, there is no tolerance and respect for individual communication styles as well as for minor errors and the learning curve. You are expected to know everything day one on the project and are sometimes looked at as sub-human if you don’t capitulate to the above points and don’t do everything perfect 100% of the time. Hard work is unappreciated, only thing that matters is how well-connected/well-liked you are, namely if you are a good brown-noser or a male. Soon after starting here, terrible feelings of guilt began to overcome me because of the culture that I am describing and I actually began to believe that I was a bad employee - this is how they brainwash you. Women have it difficult here, despite well-touted diversity claims. God help you if you want to start a family and be a good mother; it’s nearly impossible, for work is always expected to come first expect for a chosen few whose path has been greased by favoritism. Additionally, the “keeping up with the joneses” mentality is very prevalent around pay, bonuses, and promotions. Everyone is advertising the numbers (if they received generosity) and speculating aloud why employee A was/wasn’t promoted and employee B was/wasn’t. This is especially hard to stomach if you are a diligent and hard worker and strong performer, but this is not reflected in your annual assessment and compensation. This place created a host of issues for me and ruined my mental and emotional well-being. I am still recovering a year later.

Advice to Management

I feel that a firm such as PwC is a lost cause and its toxic environment is sadly emblematic of today’s white collar workplace. The employee is expected to be available 24/7 with resultant burn-out, and give up one’s personal life with no guarantee of success in their career with this Firm. For example, I went from being an avid fitness buff, to one that felt guilty for getting in the occasional workout after work, as well as had to give up active participation in 2 different volunteer organizations. Additionally, I became known as a hermit to my friends, since I stopped being available to socialize with them during my entire tenure here. In order to turn itself around. PwC needs to adopt a value system that begins at the top and flow down through the partner teams that espouses, integrity, dignity, respect for others and their abilities, trust, consideration of one's personal life vs. profits, just to name a few, and change its culture where hard work will get you ahead, not your gender, “token status”, or your political connections. Seriously, none of the work that PwC performs is such an emergency that would cause loss of human life if work on it ended by 6 PM each day and started up at 9 AM the following work day. But sadly, everything is treated as urgent.I really have no hope of positive, well-considered, and applied changes happening with this organization as to do this might cause the partners to actually show some concern for their employees first and profits second (GOD forbid!). I urge those that currently work there to get out while they can and any job-seekers that are contemplating working here to run away as fast before they are seduced by a variety of falsities!

6. great company, but will wear you down

Former Employee - Tax Senior Associate in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Tax Senior Associate in McLean, VA

I worked at PwC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- great benefits
    - great people
    - lots of flexibility
    - excellent training

Cons

- expectations don't seem to be commensurate with the compensation
    - promotions and company standing seem to be very political-based
    - they will overload you with work over time even when your schedule is already full and doesn't accommodate
    - even though they say it is easy to rotate around within the company, it is not nearly as easy as they make it seem, especially if you are considered a vital cog within a particular group or engagement

Advice to Management

- listen to your staff's complaints and try to address them, particularly with the compensation
    - focus on adjusting your structure for evaluating employees (the new Snapshot program seems very faulty)

7. Needs to be more accommodating and flexible for its employees

Former Employee - Advisory Associate in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Advisory Associate in McLean, VA

I worked at PwC full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's ok for decently talented people, I guess.

Cons

It's huge. You get lost in the numbers. They don't really differentiate between great and ok candidates. Wide range of ability. Pay is meh versus rest of consulting industry. No exit opps (they don't pay for MBA).

Advice to Management

Stop sucking so much... You don't listen to the associates, when they probably have the best suggestions for improvement. You won't retain and build talent if you treat your building blocks badly. And you won't develop talent if you don't differentiate between the best and the not-best.

8. Long hours, good benefits, decent pay, huge name

Current Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory in McLean, VA

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are pretty good
    * "flexible" work schedule options (note that at PwC "flexibility" definitely goes both ways -- the firm expects you to flex when it needs you to as well)
    * performance bonus generally fair
    * above average pay increases yearly

Cons

Working 9 to 5 (or 9 to 6) really isn't possible. Everyone has a smartphone and people are expected to be responsive at all times. Even if you're only at the office for 8 hours a day, you'll still be expected to keep your phone handy. Worse, your performance is judged relative to your peers, which can breed a pretty competitive environment if you're on the bench and have lower than normal utilization.

Advice to Management

The college recruiting model has served them well for a long time. However, I've noticed that the more recent start classes out of campus are less willing to put in the effort and hours that previous classes were. Partners, directors, and managers should recognize this and start adjusting expectations with clients accordingly (I think the younger folks are right -- no reason for us to be working 50-60 hour weeks). In my vertical, we have a number of people that will do 9 to 6 even if the rest of their team is doing 9 to 8.

9. Washington Federal Practice: Robotic, vanilla and bureaucratic

Former Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory in McLean, VA

I worked at PwC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great training opportunities, great culture (typical employee is hard working, not arrogant), great brand. I am still impressed with service discipline of partner down to new associate

Cons

As one partner told me, "This is not a meritocracy." Upward advanced is dictated on loyalty to aligned Director & Partner... no ability to cross-sell or jump to another team despite ones expertise or value.

Advice to Management

Reconsider promoting terrible people

10. Great company if you can fit in.

Current Employee - WFP Senior Associate - Advisory in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - WFP Senior Associate - Advisory in McLean, VA

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great training opportunities, great industry experience, great benefits and perks, and a name other companies know and respect.

Cons

No real work/life balance; less likely to retain staff of a certain age if their seniors; some market teams clearly have cliques that if you don't fit in, you will have a difficult time as an employee.

Advice to Management

Find a way for coaches and mentors to do more than 'ticking' the boxes-making them accountable will go a long way in building better employees experiences.

11. Crash course into the busy corporate world.

Current Employee - Tax Associate in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Tax Associate in McLean, VA

I have been working at PwC full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I have only been here 8 months and my email, linkedin are flooded with recruiting emails.

Cons

Low pay in comparison to the hours you work. Getting stuck in a group becomes a problem as well. Once you get in the firm, it isn't as easy as managers make it sound to move around.

Advice to Management

Hire upper level leaders who focus on building the team rather than their own image.