PwC

5,415 Reviews

PwC US Chairman & Senior Partner Robert Moritz
Robert Moritz
1,156 Ratings

Pros
  • No work-life balance during busy season because the nature of assurance work (in 257 reviews)

• You learn a lot about how to run complex businesses in fast-changing environments (in 132 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life Balance does not exist as much as they say they are still working on it (in 930 reviews)

• Long hours that often keep me at the office or working from home late at night (in 866 reviews)

More Highlights

75 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good place to work

Current Employee - Senior Assurance Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Assurance Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at PwC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexibility, adnalkdf fa, andlafas , aldkfdalfd , ladklafa,
    Opportunities
    Financial stability
    Culture
    Prestige
    Office
    People
    Perks
    Benefits

Cons

A lot of work
    Not enough time to take vacation
    Overtime
    Busy season
    Balance

PwC Wealth Management Tax Services (WMTS) Pittsburgh

Former Employee - Experienced Tax Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Experienced Tax Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at PwC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

"Big 4" on your resume. If you can put a decent one together, you will get a call back if you are looking for a new job.

They have deep pockets. Expect things to be paid for (trips, phone, graduate school, dinner, etc.) as well as a decent salary. Unfortunately, money and a "prestigious" name is about all that WMTS can offer you.

Cons

HOURS AND TURNOVER:

WMTS management will tell you that you need to work "60 hours a week, 12 hour days, and Saturdays" during busy season (mid January - mid April). It is more like at least 80 hours a week, 14-15 hour days, and weekends if you want to do well. You can scrape by with 65-70 hours per week if you are okay with getting average performance reviews. Non-busy season is about 40-50 hours a week. Some will work more though, since there is a ton of work still - hence the slackers really get to thrive during the summer.

I have witnessed several WMTS "lifers" work 90-100 hours week regularly.

Some years (such as 2014) the turnover is very high, approaching 30-40% for associates. This alone should be a red flag. There have been multiple instances recently where people have actually left WMTS with no other job lined up - essentially choosing to become unemployed over working there.

QUALITY:

As far as tax technical abilities, credentialing, and general competency, the senior associates and managers in WMTS are the bottom of the PwC barrel. About 90% of people who obtain their CPA leave within a year or two (transfer or new firm), and you will often find most of the practice relying heavily on the tax return preparation software.

You will commonly see senior or managers spewing "input it in the software, and let it figure it out." This is an easy way for them to get out of explaining difficult concepts to their staff, as they more than likely are incapable of doing so.

Speaking of the software, it is pretty poor. WMTS leadership will tell you that they "invest a lot in the technology." This is an absolutely load of crap, and they know it. They invest just enough to ensure that they can scrape their 7 figure profit off the top. They are so cheap with their software, that they force their employees to "test" it to see if it is working properly every year. This allows them to get a nice discount from the provider.

During tax season every year, there will be dozens of "URGENT, CRITICAL" work around emails that come out when issues are discovered with the software. This leads to absolute frustration across the preparers, as the numbers are not "flowing" to the right places, hence they actually have to THINK.

ETHICS:

The ethics of senior management (partners) are very poor. They don't seem to have issues lying to their staff's faces regarding the opportunities within WMTS (there are almost none). They continue to sell WMTS as an elite tax practice, when that couldn't be further from the truth. WMTS employees are essentially overworked, over-glorified bankers, performing menial and repetitive tasks throughout the year. The only thing that this practice has going for it is that it can fly itself under the PwC flag.

Management also don't seem to have a problem leaving their clients uninformed about super high turnover and client information breaches (tax sensitive information going to the wrong addresses - they prefer to sweep it under the rug if possible).

Managers also will routinely tell staff to respond to IRS and state notices with incorrect or incomplete information. Managers have referred to this as "the industry standard." More like the WMTS standard if you ask me... bottom of the barrel again.

Particularly, there is one engagement in WMTS that does not file the majority of their state returns properly. The seniors, managers, directors are well aware of this, yet they negligently refuse to file the returns because "that's how it has been done in the past." Again, industry standard, or WMTS standard?

BEWARE of WMTS job postings claiming that you will do corporate tax, partnership tax, franchise tax returns, provisions, etc. This is a completely blatant lie, and I am not sure how they can even legally get away with stating that. You will prepare and/or review fiduciary and non-profit income tax returns. You will also make (I refuse to call this preparing. It is clicking buttons in a software system.) Form 1099s. That is pretty much it.

INTERNS:

Interns... oh the interns. WMTS hires about 100 interns from the greater Pittsburgh area to do their printing, stapling, envelope stuff, and general office functions. Typically the interns work from January until March.

Some people don't realize how big Pittsburgh is. It is not very large - there are only about 5-6 major universities with good business schools that WMTS recruits from. Due to this, let's just say, the average quality of the WMTS interns is not what I would call good.

Your annual contract billing is not a good business model for public accounting. It allows slackers to "get by" and the overachievers to kill themselves working too much. In a typical public accounting model (hourly charge) it is much easier to track quality, who is getting what done, and progression.

To add to the billing strategy, consider using some sort of calendar or planner to set schedules for your associates and seniors. Schedules should be formally set and tracked, like any other normal practice.

Invest more in your technology, seriously, it would make the practice a lot better.

Stop trying to make the EA a legitimate credential. It just isn't.

Too Bureaucratic

Current Employee - Consultant in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at PwC as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

State-of-the-art office high-rise with views of Center City Philadelphia, laptops available, flextime available for employees, expense accounts for new employees and interns/co-ops, large fresh fruit baskets delivered twice weekly available for all employees.

Cons

Cumbersome and rigorous hiring process, too much red-tape and too bureaucratic, wasteful spending, not enough direction from mid-level and senior management for new employees and interns/co-ops.

Management needs to provide more direction and leadership, especially for inters/co-ops.

Tax Associate

Former Employee - Tax Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Tax Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at PwC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Public Accounting experience
    - They will purchase your CPA books
    - Meet some intelligent people

Cons

I was in the Wealth Management group
    - Brought on as a Tax associate for their tax season (Do not do that)

*Most unprofessional atmosphere I have ever been a part of in my life
    *Pushed into corners by Managers
    * Sabotaged to believe that I wrote emails I 100% did not write without supervision of a senior associate
    *They will teach you nothing, and hang you to dry after you worked over 60 hours a week for them during their tax season
    *They give you a mentor and a coach as I started my tax season. For some reason, which to this day do not understand, my mentors were switched four times. So I never got to learn anything with substance because each person taught their own system of tax. So it was like being dragged around like a rag doll and try to keep up with your work. So the mentor system they use is complete trash. Additionally, my coach was stationed in Chicago? How do I learn anything if they are in Chicago? They never contacted me or reached out once. Later in the tax season, I reached out to my coach as a last resort. I spoke to human resources, partners, and my mentors trying to move groups because the managers clearly wanted nothing to do with my growth there. Not sure what the coach told the managers but a few weeks later they fired me. I guess it was because I busted my bottom for them including weekends to attempt to prove myself. Every spare moment to help my group I was there and providing support. This went unseen and never got a speck of credit for. I was used and abused at their disposal, plain and simple. They cornered me into meetings by managers, human resources, and even the CEO. Human resources blindly tried to relay what they believed I was doing wrong at the firm, which was so false I can't even begin to think it was true. If I had a good lawyer I would have sued them for false email accusations and abusive/unfair working environment.

All about the money not the people, start over.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunities for growth; outstanding benefits; flexiblity; good corporate citizen

Cons

so many layers -takes time to make change happen

Excellent if you understand the work hours.

Former Employee - PwC Assurance Associate in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - PwC Assurance Associate in Phila, PA

I worked at PwC as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, great company with really caring people who work to make sure you are happy in your position and who will work hard to help move you around if you want to. Very easy to transfer to different locations if you need to move as well. Flex time in the summer is great and working a little extra Monday-Thuraday with Friday off is very common.

Cons

The hours during busy season are very long a taxing. Depending on your team members you could be working until midnight or 3am during some weeks. While flexibility is encouraged it's impossible to implement during busy season.

Sr. Associate

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at PwC full-time

Pros

Top notch training. Huge variety of projects and people to keep things interesting. Looks great on a resume.

Cons

From what I've heard lower pay than some of the other big 4. Hours get crazy. Very little interest in what you are interested in or want to do, they just need bodies to do the work. A lot of people tend to be slightly abrasive or talk down to you whether intentional or not.

Appreciate your employees a bit more and stop trying to squeeze the most amount of work out of the fewest number of people (won't happen though).

Wonderful- it provides cutting edge resources, flexibility, and endless opportunities!

Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pwc focuses on people- they strive to make changes that gear towards work/life balance while still maintaining excellence. We work hard and we are well paid!

Cons

They are still in the process of changing- to become 'cutting edge" in all capacities it takes some time; all the cogs in the wheel must be in sync.

Be more transparent- work on real time feedback and adhere to it.

Hours aren't worth the pay

Current Employee - Experienced Audit Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Experienced Audit Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great experience and learn a lot from working with multiple companies

Cons

Hours
    Culture on jobs
    Pay
    Being hated by client

Pay better and people will stay

Great place to start out of college. See where it goes from there.

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People, exposure to clients, deep business process exposure, culture, learning and training, travel, flexible

Cons

Bright people but haven't had my mind blown