PwC Reviews

3.6
PwC US Chairman & Senior Partner Robert Moritz
Robert Moritz
1,314 Ratings

1. Great company and lots of opportunity for growth.

Current Employee - International Tax Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - International Tax Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at PwC full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity for promotion and lots of flexibility

Cons

Work life balance can get off balance very easily

2. Excellent opportunities

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Travel, worklife balance, strong positive culture

Cons

Bonuses are not predictable; scheduling is tough

3. good company

Current Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great people. great client. solid experience

Cons

overtime. bad work life balance.

5. Winter Intern

Former Intern - Winter Intern in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Intern - Winter Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at PwC as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great first hand business experience. Was a great way to get accustomed to office life and gain valuable accounting knowledge.

Cons

People always say the hours but that is expected in any public accounting job. As an intern though you reap the benefits of overtime so it's not too bad at all.

6. PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP

Current Employee - Tax Associate in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Tax Associate in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at PwC full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities here and elsewhere in the accounting world.

Cons

Poor work/life balance due to rigorous hours.

7. Great company

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at PwC as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Great culture, lots of young people. PwC provides tons of opportunities for developmnet

Cons

Long hours. Get lost in the numbers, easy to never be noticed

Be more personal with staff

WMTS... Okay, but know what you're getting yourself into.

Former Intern - WMTS Intern in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Intern - WMTS Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at PwC as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I was an intern in PwC's WMTS. I think the main point of this review is to help others learn what you're getting yourself into before you do it. PwC's WMTS has about 100 associates in the Pittsburgh office. During tax season they hire around 100 interns to work as a glorified personal assistant. Here is the good and the bad:

1) You make A LOT of money. I would say the average intern makes around $5,000 if not way more in those 3 months which, for an intern is very good. You get $18 an hour in the first year you do it and then if you come back you get $20.

2) You get Big 4 on your resume. I would say this is why a majority of interns do this internship from the start. The recruiting process isn't long or complicated. In fact, as long as you have a good on-campus interview, you'll get the internship. Most interns have no interest in working in WMTS, they just want to put PwC on their resume and this is probably the best way to do it.

3) You meet and befriend a lot of other interns. There are 4-5 schools in the Pittsburgh area where interns come from. Depending on your situation, you get to meet a lot of other kids and will probably make some friends out of a couple of them.

Cons

Now the bad,

1) You are a secretary. Don't expect to come into this job and you'll start doing tax returns. You won't. You will come in and staple, print, and review tax returns. If you do a good job and your associate gets overloaded and they trust you, you might start to do some returns towards the end of your internship. Just be aware that you won't gain much tax experience.

2) The hours. The hours suck. Last year when I worked there we were expected to work 25-30 hours per week and for people like me, we still had 15-18 credits of classes. You won't have much of a social life, sleep, or Saturdays. You work a lot of Saturdays for a good chunk of the day. I was in the office 3 days a week from 9am-7pm if not later (I had class the 2 other days) and then Saturday from like 10am until 3 or 4pm.

3) The associates. The associates are nice, but they are also very stressed and have a lot to do in very little time. You have limited training as a group beforehand, it is really up to your associate to train you. You could very well get an associate who is stressed out and impatient and doesn't teach you much. It is important to continue to ask questions and talk to other interns, especially 2nd year interns. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of great associates. However, there are also a lot of bad associates who are impatient and very demanding.

4) Lot of headaches. There are days you come into work and literally do nothing but staple papers or stuff letters for 10 hours. Trust me, it will get to you. There are other days you come in and spend 5 minutes doing one thing before your associate tells you to do this instead. Then one hour later, you get a message to go back to your original thing. This continues all day long. That will get to you also. You live and die ultimately by your associate. If your associate is organized and calm, a lot of these problems won't apply to you. If you have an associate who is impatient and disorganized, trust me, it will be a long winter.

No advice to management because there isn't a lot they can do. This advice is to the students thinking about taking the internship.

1) Ask yourself if you're willing to work 25-30 hours plus take a whole semester of classes. If the answer is no, stop right now.

2) Plan for the semester ahead of time. Try to take core classes and easier classes. Try not to take a lot of harder classes related to your major.

3) Get to know your associate. It will be hard because they are so busy but every once in a while, see if they want to go get lunch or something just to help them relax. The calmer they are, the better off you are. Try to make it more than a worker-peer relationship.

4) Going back to #3, be a good worker. Your associate's stress level has a lot to do with you. If you are taking too long or not doing stuff right, they won't angry with you, but that just increases their workload to help you and you wont be doing yourself or them any favors. However, if you are capable and can work quickly, you will really make life on both you and your associate easier.

5) Best way to handle #4 is to get to know other interns. Asking other interns for help, especially 2nd years, should always be your first solution (unless of course it is a specific question to what you're doing, then ask your associate). Asking other interns is in cases more about the software and computer/printer works. Learn how to use the software quickly. That is the best way to do a good job. Asking your associate to come over to show you something on the software will get tiresome after a while. Learn how the printers operate and how to change them when they run out of ink or how to fix them after a paper jam. Nothing is worse than asking an associate to come change the ink or fix a paper jam, especially when you get into your 2nd and 3rd month working.

6) write stuff down. Whether it is directions or tips on the software/printers.

All in all, it is an okay internship for someone who wants to use it as a springboard. You get paid a lot, meet some cool people, and get to pad your resume. Working 25-30 hours sucks, the office environment sucks, and your mental health is at the mercy of your associate and their mental health is at the mercy of you, but it still can be worth it. Just please know what you're getting yourself into. I think when i was there last year, a lot of interns were surprised at what they were getting themselves into.

9. Good

Current Employee - Tax Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Tax Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at PwC

Pros

Good culture, flexible schedules and lots of perks

Cons

Long hours, average pay and very top heavy

None

10. Good place to work

Current Employee - Senior Assurance Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Assurance Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at PwC full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, adnalkdf fa, andlafas , aldkfdalfd , ladklafa,
    Opportunities
    Financial stability
    Culture
    Prestige
    Office
    People
    Perks
    Benefits

Cons

A lot of work
    Not enough time to take vacation
    Overtime
    Busy season
    Balance

People Working Constantly "PwC"

Current Employee - Senior Tax Accountant in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Tax Accountant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at PwC full-time

Pros

Good way for recent graduates to get great experience.

Cons

Seems like management is trained to use catch phrases like "flex time" and "work life balance" at the same time they are working the snot out of you with 80 to 100 hour work weeks, weekends and tied into work. They mostly go after recent college graduates. Anyone else with experience can make more money and not work as hard. When I went to resign it was like haggling with a used car salesman. Coerced to stay than ridiculed when I didn't cave in.

None. These people know exactly what they are doing.