PwC Reviews

Reset
2.8
PwC US Chairman & Senior Partner Robert Moritz
Robert Moritz

Pros
  • PwC provides a solid work life balance (in 257 reviews)

• You will learn a lot if you have the right people teaching you (in 132 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolute lack of work/life balance consideration (in 930 reviews)

• Long hours but you know when it is going to end (in 866 reviews)

1. Tax Intern

Former Intern - Wealth Management Tax in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Intern - Wealth Management Tax in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at PwC as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay- Hourly wage is extremely competitive, especially during tax season where you are working 20+ hours of overtime. Great first hand experience with tax and wealth management.

Cons

During the semester, the hours that are advertised and the hours you actually work are completely different and can become overwhelming to many of the younger interns.

Advice to Management

Try to add more employees/interns during busy season to relieve hours given the strain that is put on them.

2. Intern

Former Employee - Intern in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at PwC

Pros

Wonderful people that we're helpful in showing me what I needed to learn and allowed me to ask plenty of question.

Cons

The commute was long but that was based on my location. Other than that, I enjoyed my experience with the company.

3. Winter Intern

Former Intern - Winter Intern in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Intern - Winter Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at PwC as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great first hand business experience. Was a great way to get accustomed to office life and gain valuable accounting knowledge.

Cons

People always say the hours but that is expected in any public accounting job. As an intern though you reap the benefits of overtime so it's not too bad at all.

5. Great company

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at PwC as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, lots of young people. PwC provides tons of opportunities for developmnet

Cons

Long hours. Get lost in the numbers, easy to never be noticed

Advice to Management

Be more personal with staff

WMTS... Okay, but know what you're getting yourself into.

I worked at PwC as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I was an intern in PwC's WMTS. I think the main point of this review is to help others learn what you're getting yourself into before you do it. PwC's WMTS has about 100 associates in the Pittsburgh office. During tax season they hire around 100 interns to work as a glorified personal assistant. Here is the good and the bad: 1) You make A LOT of money. I would say the average intern makes around $5,000 if not way more in those 3 months which, for an intern is very good. You get $18 an hour in the first year you do it and then if you come back you get $20. 2) You get Big 4 on your resume. I would say this is why a majority of interns do this internship from the start. The recruiting process isn't long or complicated. In fact, as long as you have a good on-campus interview, you'll get the internship. Most interns have no interest in working in WMTS, they just want to put PwC on their resume and this is probably the best way to do it. 3) You meet and befriend a lot of other interns. There are 4-5 schools in the Pittsburgh area where interns come from. Depending on your situation, you get to meet a lot of other kids and will probably make some friends out of a couple of them.

Cons

Now the bad, 1) You are a secretary. Don't expect to come into this job and you'll start doing tax returns. You won't. You will come in and staple, print, and review tax returns. If you do a good job and your associate gets overloaded and they trust you, you might start to do some returns towards the end of your internship. Just be aware that you won't gain much tax experience. 2) The hours. The hours suck. Last year when I worked there we were expected to work 25-30 hours per week and for people like me, we still had 15-18 credits of classes. You won't have much of a social life, sleep, or Saturdays. You work a lot of Saturdays for a good chunk of the day. I was in the office 3 days a week from 9am-7pm if not later (I had class the 2 other days) and then Saturday from like 10am until 3 or 4pm. 3) The associates. The associates are nice, but they are also very stressed and have a lot to do in very little time. You have limited training as a group beforehand, it is really up to your associate to train you. You could very well get an associate who is stressed out and impatient and doesn't teach you much. It is important to continue to ask questions and talk to other interns, especially 2nd year interns. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of great associates. However, there are also a lot of bad associates who are impatient and very demanding. 4) Lot of headaches. There are days you come into work and literally do nothing but staple papers or stuff letters for 10 hours. Trust me, it will get to you. There are other days you come in and spend 5 minutes doing one thing before your associate tells you to do this instead. Then one hour later, you get a message to go back to your original thing. This continues all day long. That will get to you also. You live and die ultimately by your associate. If your associate is organized and calm, a lot of these problems won't apply to you. If you have an associate who is impatient and disorganized, trust me, it will be a long winter.

Advice to Management

No advice to management because there isn't a lot they can do. This advice is to the students thinking about taking the internship. 1) Ask yourself if you're willing to work 25-30 hours plus take a whole semester of classes. If the answer is no, stop right now. 2) Plan for the semester ahead of time. Try to take core classes and easier classes. Try not to take a lot of harder classes related to your major. 3) Get to know your associate. It will be hard because they are so busy but every once in a while, see if they want to go get lunch or something just to help them relax. The calmer they are, the better off you are. Try to make it more than a worker-peer relationship. 4) Going back to #3, be a good worker. Your associate's stress level has a lot to do with you. If you are taking too long or not doing stuff right, they won't angry with you, but that just increases their workload to help you and you wont be doing yourself or them any favors. However, if you are capable and can work quickly, you will really make life on both you and your associate easier. 5) Best way to handle #4 is to get to know other interns. Asking other interns for help, especially 2nd years, should always be your first solution (unless of course it is a specific question to what you're doing, then ask your associate). Asking other interns is in cases more about the software and computer/printer works. Learn how to use the software quickly. That is the best way to do a good job. Asking your associate to come over to show you something on the software will get tiresome after a while. Learn how the printers operate and how to change them when they run out of ink or how to fix them after a paper jam. Nothing is worse than asking an associate to come change the ink or fix a paper jam, especially when you get into your 2nd and 3rd month working. 6) write stuff down. Whether it is directions or tips on the software/printers. All in all, it is an okay internship for someone who wants to use it as a springboard. You get paid a lot, meet some cool people, and get to pad your resume. Working 25-30 hours sucks, the office environment sucks, and your mental health is at the mercy of your associate and their mental health is at the mercy of you, but it still can be worth it. Just please know what you're getting yourself into. I think when i was there last year, a lot of interns were surprised at what they were getting themselves into.

PwC Wealth Management Tax Services (WMTS) Pittsburgh

Former Employee - Experienced Tax Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Experienced Tax Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at PwC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

"Big 4" on your resume. If you can put a decent one together, you will get a call back if you are looking for a new job. They have deep pockets. Expect things to be paid for (trips, phone, graduate school, dinner, etc.) as well as a decent salary. Unfortunately, money and a "prestigious" name is about all that WMTS can offer you.

Cons

HOURS AND TURNOVER: WMTS management will tell you that you need to work "60 hours a week, 12 hour days, and Saturdays" during busy season (mid January - mid April). It is more like at least 80 hours a week, 14-15 hour days, and weekends if you want to do well. You can scrape by with 65-70 hours per week if you are okay with getting average performance reviews. Non-busy season is about 40-50 hours a week. Some will work more though, since there is a ton of work still - hence the slackers really get to thrive during the summer. I have witnessed several WMTS "lifers" work 90-100 hours week regularly. Some years (such as 2014) the turnover is very high, approaching 30-40% for associates. This alone should be a red flag. There have been multiple instances recently where people have actually left WMTS with no other job lined up - essentially choosing to become unemployed over working there. QUALITY: As far as tax technical abilities, credentialing, and general competency, the senior associates and managers in WMTS are the bottom of the PwC barrel. About 90% of people who obtain their CPA leave within a year or two (transfer or new firm), and you will often find most of the practice relying heavily on the tax return preparation software. You will commonly see senior or managers spewing "input it in the software, and let it figure it out." This is an easy way for them to get out of explaining difficult concepts to their staff, as they more than likely are incapable of doing so. Speaking of the software, it is pretty poor. WMTS leadership will tell you that they "invest a lot in the technology." This is an absolutely load of crap, and they know it. They invest just enough to ensure that they can scrape their 7 figure profit off the top. They are so cheap with their software, that they force their employees to "test" it to see if it is working properly every year. This allows them to get a nice discount from the provider. During tax season every year, there will be dozens of "URGENT, CRITICAL" work around emails that come out when issues are discovered with the software. This leads to absolute frustration across the preparers, as the numbers are not "flowing" to the right places, hence they actually have to THINK. ETHICS: The ethics of senior management (partners) are very poor. They don't seem to have issues lying to their staff's faces regarding the opportunities within WMTS (there are almost none). They continue to sell WMTS as an elite tax practice, when that couldn't be further from the truth. WMTS employees are essentially overworked, over-glorified bankers, performing menial and repetitive tasks throughout the year. The only thing that this practice has going for it is that it can fly itself under the PwC flag. Management also don't seem to have a problem leaving their clients uninformed about super high turnover and client information breaches (tax sensitive information going to the wrong addresses - they prefer to sweep it under the rug if possible). Managers also will routinely tell staff to respond to IRS and state notices with incorrect or incomplete information. Managers have referred to this as "the industry standard." More like the WMTS standard if you ask me... bottom of the barrel again. Particularly, there is one engagement in WMTS that does not file the majority of their state returns properly. The seniors, managers, directors are well aware of this, yet they negligently refuse to file the returns because "that's how it has been done in the past." Again, industry standard, or WMTS standard? BEWARE of WMTS job postings claiming that you will do corporate tax, partnership tax, franchise tax returns, provisions, etc. This is a completely blatant lie, and I am not sure how they can even legally get away with stating that. You will prepare and/or review fiduciary and non-profit income tax returns. You will also make (I refuse to call this preparing. It is clicking buttons in a software system.) Form 1099s. That is pretty much it. INTERNS: Interns... oh the interns. WMTS hires about 100 interns from the greater Pittsburgh area to do their printing, stapling, envelope stuff, and general office functions. Typically the interns work from January until March. Some people don't realize how big Pittsburgh is. It is not very large - there are only about 5-6 major universities with good business schools that WMTS recruits from. Due to this, let's just say, the average quality of the WMTS interns is not what I would call good.

Advice to Management

Your annual contract billing is not a good business model for public accounting. It allows slackers to "get by" and the overachievers to kill themselves working too much. In a typical public accounting model (hourly charge) it is much easier to track quality, who is getting what done, and progression. To add to the billing strategy, consider using some sort of calendar or planner to set schedules for your associates and seniors. Schedules should be formally set and tracked, like any other normal practice. Invest more in your technology, seriously, it would make the practice a lot better. Stop trying to make the EA a legitimate credential. It just isn't.

Tax Associate

Former Employee - Tax Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Tax Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at PwC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Public Accounting experience - They will purchase your CPA books - Meet some intelligent people

Cons

I was in the Wealth Management group - Brought on as a Tax associate for their tax season (Do not do that) *Most unprofessional atmosphere I have ever been a part of in my life *Pushed into corners by Managers * Sabotaged to believe that I wrote emails I 100% did not write without supervision of a senior associate *They will teach you nothing, and hang you to dry after you worked over 60 hours a week for them during their tax season *They give you a mentor and a coach as I started my tax season. For some reason, which to this day do not understand, my mentors were switched four times. So I never got to learn anything with substance because each person taught their own system of tax. So it was like being dragged around like a rag doll and try to keep up with your work. So the mentor system they use is complete trash. Additionally, my coach was stationed in Chicago? How do I learn anything if they are in Chicago? They never contacted me or reached out once. Later in the tax season, I reached out to my coach as a last resort. I spoke to human resources, partners, and my mentors trying to move groups because the managers clearly wanted nothing to do with my growth there. Not sure what the coach told the managers but a few weeks later they fired me. I guess it was because I busted my bottom for them including weekends to attempt to prove myself. Every spare moment to help my group I was there and providing support. This went unseen and never got a speck of credit for. I was used and abused at their disposal, plain and simple. They cornered me into meetings by managers, human resources, and even the CEO. Human resources blindly tried to relay what they believed I was doing wrong at the firm, which was so false I can't even begin to think it was true. If I had a good lawyer I would have sued them for false email accusations and abusive/unfair working environment.

Advice to Management

All about the money not the people, start over.

9. Wonderful- it provides cutting edge resources, flexibility, and endless opportunities!

Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at PwC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pwc focuses on people- they strive to make changes that gear towards work/life balance while still maintaining excellence. We work hard and we are well paid!

Cons

They are still in the process of changing- to become 'cutting edge" in all capacities it takes some time; all the cogs in the wheel must be in sync.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent- work on real time feedback and adhere to it.

10. Work hard, play hard; expect to be compensated well and learn the most you can, work long hours to achieve highly.

Current Employee - Tax Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Tax Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at PwC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best experience, good compensation and vacation

Cons

Long hours and tax season can be very stressful at times, but the comp. and prestige is worth it

Advice to Management

The flexibility thing is working well, keep it up

11. Bland

I worked at PwC as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very nice people to work with and well compensated for the WMTS internship in Pittsburgh, PA.

Cons

The work I was completing was basic printing and filing which is expected in an internship. However, if I was not printing or filing I was sitting at my desk waiting to be given work.

Advice to Management

Utilize fewer interns because too much of the internship was sitting around.

Showing 22 of 6,984 reviews