PwC

5,341 Reviews

PwC US Chairman & Senior Partner Robert Moritz
Robert Moritz
1,136 Ratings

Pros
  • No work-life balance during busy season because the nature of assurance work (in 257 reviews)

• You learn a lot about how to run complex businesses in fast-changing environments (in 132 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life Balance does not exist as much as they say they are still working on it (in 930 reviews)

• Long hours that often keep me at the office or working from home late at night (in 866 reviews)

More Highlights

I learnt a lot during my time working here.

I have been working at PwC full-time

Pros

Good place to learn and extend your networking.

Cons

Competition between juniors are tough, not to mention it as a cons, but to keep it mind that we all need to be prepared.

Phenomenal Person and Professional Growth

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fabulous people
    Geometric Growth
    Multi-dimensional Personal Development
    Diversity and multicultural exposure

Great launchpad to springboard your career and learn a lot in a short span of time .... continuous growth and development

Cons

Busy Season!!!
    Work-Life Balance takes a big hit and sooner or later affects your physical and emotional well being
    Tempest by fire and tends to produce tempered steel or melt people down

You know you need to better manage your human sigma, which is the life source of the firm.
    Need to actually make it a priority rather than just masquerading a PR campaign saying that you are doing so ...

PwC review

I have been working at PwC full-time

Pros

Commited to investment in their people

Cons

bottleneck at the top of leadership.

A strong employer who understands the need to hire and retain good people

Current Employee - Manager - Advisory in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager - Advisory in Washington, DC

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The firm offers a tremendous amount of benefits, including unlimited sick days, up to 22 days of vacation, and a paid sabbatical as a promotional bonus. In additional, all levels have opportunities to earn annual performance bonuses, and leadership worked very hard to avoid layoffs during the recent economic downturn. They are also very honest about what is expected of personnel, and are generally fair when it comes to compensation, promotions, and recognition. Everyone has the opportunity to manage their own career, and I have personally seen leadership support transfers to different practices in order to help personal career growth.

Cons

It all depends on your partner. Application of all of the above varies between partners and practices. Partners also can be very competitive, which can impact those working for competing partners. Recent changes in performance evaluations have made the process less transparent, resulting in staff distrust in leadership.

Hold partners (and high-performing directors) to the same standards of running their business across the board, specifically when it comes to staff management and evaluations.

Great starting place

Current Employee - Experienced Audit Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Experienced Audit Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Career opportunities, fast paced learning, exposure to high levels of management early in career, great resume builder, working with young and motivated professionals.

Cons

Long hours, high stress, high burnout, turnover.

Risk Assurance Internship

Former Employee - Risk Assurance Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Risk Assurance Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at PwC as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great people—cannot stress that enough! Atleast on the associate level.

Cons

The recruiters are terrible at contacting and informing you of deadlines. Beware when recruiting, because it might bite you in the butt

Push for a flatter structure. I felt like there was a lot of bureaucracy in the company, which made it hard to express interest in new areas.

PwC - Transaction Services

Former Employee - Transaction Services Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Transaction Services Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at PwC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great learning opportunity to see a lot of deals and learn some skill sets (excel / ppt) that are highly recognized in finance.

Cons

Be prepared to work investment banking hours at an accountants compensation

Increase compensation - turnover will decrease if you pay more in line with bankers and transaction based consultants.

Great benefits, great employees, low pay

Current Employee - Risk Assurance Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Risk Assurance Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

PwC is a great company. They care about their employees, and you truly are more than a number. Their maternity benefits are unbeaten (12-14 weeks fully paid, plus your vacation. The option to take up to 6 months off), we receive unlimited sick days, and 5 weeks of vacation, all of which are great for a working mom. They also offer the option of working a reduced schedule, so I have many coworkers who do not work Fridays. They are truly trying to promote flexibility, but the results are mixed depending on your client and the engagement team. My experience has shown that teams are very understanding of the need for flexibility, as long as you are willing to make up the hours at night or on the weekends. So flexibility may mean leaving at 4 for a soccer match, but signing back on at 8 and working until 11. Or working from home, but still putting in a 12 hour day.

PwC only hires top performers. So as a whole, you work with very intelligent, capable, and hard working team members. You also are generally expected to perform at one level above your position, which pushes you to succeed and grow.

Cons

The biggest negative is the salary. As a manager with 8 years of experience and consistently high rankings in annual reviews, I am still not making 6 figures (close, but not quite there). I know in certain markets the pay may be higher, but in the smaller markets, it is pitiful, particularly for the hours we work and the level of responsibility and pressure that we manage.

Additionally, PwC tends to have a sink or swim mentality. They advocate coaching and real-time feedback, however, when everyone is strapped for time, you only get so much attention from those above you. Therefore, it is common to feel like you are drowning and no one throws you a life raft until you are already under. This is a direct result of being consistently understaffed, and while I would like to say that this is a temporary concern, we have been severely understaffed in our market for the past 4 years.

Also, our the cost of our health insurance is ridiculous. I pay $700 a month for my husband, myself, and one child. I could get better rates purchasing individual insurance on the health exchange.

Long hours are the norm, however, that is generally understood by anyone coming to work in our industry. Taking vacation can be difficult, and the culture is such that you will continue to take phone calls and respond to emails on vacation. However, again, that is typical in our industry, and so I consider that less of a con, and more of a necessary evil.

Profits have been exploding over the past several years, pass the rewards down the line. Also, hire more people. If you continue to leave engagements severely understaffed, quality will suffer and you will continue to lose good employees.

Great experience of working with hard, smart people. Great exposure to current economic events.

I have been working at PwC

Pros

Surrounded by hard-working and smart folks. Great exposure to different kinds of engagements.

Cons

Tough busy season, can be busy all year around. Lack of work-life balance.

Great place to work for

Current Employee - Team Assistant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Team Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, can flex your time, company reimburses public transportation fare, very friendly atmosphere

Cons

Completely satisfied. No cons so far