PwC

5,432 Reviews

PwC US Chairman & Senior Partner Robert Moritz
Robert Moritz
1,162 Ratings

Pros
  • No work-life balance during busy season because the nature of assurance work (in 257 reviews)

• You learn a lot about how to run complex businesses in fast-changing environments (in 132 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life Balance does not exist as much as they say they are still working on it (in 930 reviews)

• Long hours that often keep me at the office or working from home late at night (in 866 reviews)

More Highlights

140 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Work hard and good learning experience

Former Employee - Experienced Audit Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Experienced Audit Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at PwC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work for some big companies. Good teams. Smart nice people.

Cons

Long hours. Don't get to choose your clients.

Compensation should be commensurate to the work expended.

It was a great experience.

Current Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PwC as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great people and great work hours.

Cons

I don't have any cons about the firm.

Risk Assurance Internship

Former Employee - Risk Assurance Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Risk Assurance Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at PwC as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great people—cannot stress that enough! Atleast on the associate level.

Cons

The recruiters are terrible at contacting and informing you of deadlines. Beware when recruiting, because it might bite you in the butt

Push for a flatter structure. I felt like there was a lot of bureaucracy in the company, which made it hard to express interest in new areas.

Not at all what I was expecting..

Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at PwC as an intern

Pros

They do a great job recruiting from campuses and make the company look very attractive to young grads.

Good training and mentors at the beginning of the internship program, training instructors were very helpful and insightful.

Cons

Even as an intern, I could see the insane amount of office politics that existed.

Horrible experience with getting staffed on clients. After training, obtained little to no hands on experience during the internship program. HR ignored my requests for more work, while few other interns were gaining decent experiences.

The feedback system requires performance and communication with mentors, which was difficult to achieve. Although I requested work everyday, management's evaluation of my performance was very unreasonable since there was no opportunity for performance to evaluate.

Ensure a proper allocation of work opportunities to the interns. If I had known I wasn't going to get an internship experience, I would have chosen another firm.

Invest more in the interns during the actual internship. PwC does a great job in investing in them from the start.. until you actually start working for them.

Satisfying but glad I'm done!

Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at PwC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people are the best part of working here. I've worked here for 10+ years straight out of college and you won't find better people at the staff level from an intellectual, hard-working, great group to work with after work, type of people. This was not an easy job, but the knowledge you learn, the clients you work on, are top notch. If you're willing to work hard, 50+ hours/week for ~6 months of the year, and want to learn a lot and get your CPA, this is the job for you.

Cons

Management style is ad hoc. While PwC as a whole has great culture, it really depends on the line of service you're in and what specialty group. The managers and above in your distinct group set the tone for your experience. I was in the Assurance and Advisory lines of services and the managers, directors and partners in Advisory had better management style. Also, revenue is recognized differently which leads to more collaboration vs in-house fighting by partners, and less politics to deal with. Too much politics and red tape and admin to deal with for managers and above. You spend a lot of your time dealing with this rather than your work, clients and people - things that really matter.

Pay - PwC claims to be the trend-setter among the Big 4 but I think they all pay the same. At the staff level, we're talking maybe a $3-5K difference for same market, same level and same background skill-set. Above, it really depends on the industry and the value you bring to the Firm. Just remember, if you go to another Big 4, you can always get a pay bump.

Promotions - I'm ambivalent on this. People do get promoted here, it's a pyramid model, and you always need new staff who get promoted to senior, etc. Recently, due to large turnover (due to overworking our people from too much revenue and not enough qualified people), people are expected to do the work of a class above them, yet not being paid or recognized for it. Unless your evaluations show that you've mastered all the areas at your level well, you wont get promoted even if you've been acting as a senior or manager for half the year. That being said, I've also seen many cases where people have been promoted early, before they were ready, due to turnover, and a need for more seniors or managers. In my experience, this is the worst thing to do to a person. Unreal expectations are placed and in most cases, this person will perform sub-par for about 2 years before they catch up. But hey, some people don't mind as they get the title and pay increase along with the promotion.

Vacation - A wash. You get 15 days right off the bat for new hires and after being there for 2-3 years, you get 22 days. 22 days is the max whether you've been there 5, 10 or 20 years. However, you also get unlimited sick, 10 holidays (7-8 designated and 2-3 for you to pick depending on what day of the week holidays fall on), and the Firm usually has a few extra days off for 4th of July and the break between Xmas and New Year. The con is that once you make manager, most people stop accruing their vacation because they can't take time off. And PwC does not pay out for vacation so most people end up just losing their vacation time. Accounting-wise, you still earn vacation but it maxes out at 22 days. My last few years at PwC, I probably lost over a week of vacation due to being unable to take it - a new opportunity pops up, a fire drill at one of the clients, etc.

Sales - to succeed at PwC, you have to be willing to sell our services, people, etc to clients. New clients, existing, whomever, as long a revenue continues to come in. That's their growth model. More partners = more revenue. However, we oftentimes don't have the people to do the work. PwC is hiring like crazy. But when they don't have time for proper training, these people struggle and are thrown out to our clients without instructions. If you don't have strong seniors or managers able to coach you on the job, you're going to struggle. PwC hiring non-qualified people to do the job is also not helping. More bodies does not equate to quality work performed. Catch 22 situation.

Don't take on new clients if you can't properly staff your jobs with qualified people to do the work. Give opportunities to the staff to succeed. Our foundation and our bread and butter are our people - invest in them and groom them for the jobs (more and better coaching/training). Would more happy hours and social/connectivity events really break the bank? Headhunting fees for more staff and training are more expensive.

Challenging environment, in a good way

Current Employee - Advisory Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Advisory Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice pay and smart people

Cons

Very heavy travel and unpredictable schedule

Continue promotimg flexible schedules

Too political, work not interesting at all.

Current Employee - Senior Associate, Advisory in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate, Advisory in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Big company, lots of mobility oppotunities

Cons

if you're not visible - you won't get promoted even if you work 100+ hours a week

Working for a community hospital

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Pablo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Pablo, CA

I worked at PwC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at a non-profit community hospital was great because you have the chance to give back

Cons

Financial stability was always an issue.

Keep working at engaging the staff

assurance intern

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PwC as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-work and life balance
    -competitive pay
    -big name in the accounting industry
    -nice colleagues and good projects

Cons

-The office is big, so you might not have chances to talk to a lot of people
    -Managers and upper level are not approachable

Great place to work if you are looking for tier 2 consulting and if you are a go getter

Current Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities and talent around you to learn from.

Cons

Most decisions are made based on who you know and what your network is.

Make sure all employees are considered for growth and are informed on their compensation decisions