PwC

3.6
4,871 Reviews

PwC US Chairman & Senior Partner Robert Moritz
Robert Moritz

Pros
  • No work-life balance during busy season because the nature of assurance work (in 237 reviews)

• It is a great place to start your career if you want to stay in accounting (in 116 reviews)

Cons
  • Also work life balance is very difficult to achieve until it gets to the problem stage (in 803 reviews)

• Long hours during busy season but thats to be expected at any audit firm in the city (in 787 reviews)

More Highlights

130 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great name recognition, some cool people, terrible hours/pay

Current Employee - Associate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

Pros

-Exposure to a Big 4 firm, and lots of interaction with big clients
    -Opportunities to travel to different places.

Cons

-Long hours with compensation that's way too low
    -Very political environment. HR has too much power.

Make your promotions based on merit, not personal relationships. Most people who kiss up to management get much further than qualified individuals who are excellent at their job. Many people leave the firm because management simply doesn't take merit into consideration.

Promise work life balance but do not come through

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Job security, ability to switch services

Cons

Long hours, commute, management is too busy to help when needed

Great learning experience. They let intern do real work.

Former Employee - Risk Assurance  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Risk Assurance in San Francisco, CA

Pros

People are super nice, smart and willing to help. It's definitely a firm with great culture. Interns are put on lots of responsibilities.

Cons

Hours are quite long but depends on your division and industry group. I was in the assurance team. I saw people in different groups have a great lifestyle.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worked for multiple years

Former Employee - Senior Associate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Good People for the most part, chances of getting a mentor are good

Cons

Opaque review process, some people are always favourites

Make the review process more transperent, including why some people are favored. All it takes is knowledge transfer as to why some people are prefered, it may be that they are genuinely talented. If so then let the world know.

Sr Assoc Tax (San Francisco) ... Great training, too political

Former Employee - Tax Senior Associate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Tax Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I started in 2005 when we had national trainings where we were sent somewhere for one week a year to train and network. It was a great experience and it helped build my professional network. As my personal life has taken me to different parts of the country, I still run into people I meet from these trainings because the accounting world is pretty can be small.

Also, the clientele is top notch. If you want to work on anything in the investment industry, you have to go to PwC or EY. The mid-tier firms just do not have this level of work. The myriad of issues you will see are great for building a solid foundation.

Cons

Where do I start? Advancement can be really political. Putting a carrot in front of people regarding promotions is pretty standard and then not delivering. The pay is pathetic when you count how many hours your work. Also, beginning in 2009 they cut the national training program. Instead of us flying for a whole week to another city, they brought the trainings to the big offices throughout the year and people from other offices weren't invited. This was detrimental to us building our professional networks.

I'm going to be honest, a lot of people leave bitter. Due to hours, lack of promotion, or whatever. But if you want to succeed in this field, this is a necessary evil. The training and education I received at PwC was superior in every way.

Promote people based on their ability and accomplishments. If you think you're not very good, the last thing you want to do is only promote people that don't threaten you. If you could actually hold your own, you would promote the best person for the job.

Challenging career with a lot of potential

Current Employee - Advisory Director  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Advisory Director in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Work with a talented group of people and get the freedom to build your own brand and career with a lot of support.

Cons

Conservative culture can move too slow at times.

N/A

I had a great learning experience while I was there

Former Employee - IT Consultant  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - IT Consultant in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great people. A lot of knowledge sharing. Excellent benefits.

Cons

There's not a lot of advancement opportunities in IT. Being able to express your concerns is not always welcome with open arms. Do not apply for a local IT position. All IT positions from top to bottom are being outsourced in March 2014. So sad to hear.

When you roll out new procedures and tell your staff it's to improve our workload and enhance customer service, when in reality it actually lays the foundation for local IT staff to be outsourced, I feel that's dishonest and misleading. I'd rather you be upfront so that we are not blindsided.

Best culture and work-life balance of the Big 4

Current Employee - Experienced Audit Associate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Experienced Audit Associate in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Everyone here is super smart and motivated. There's so much to learn from other people at the firm--especially the partners and managers. The SF office definitely has a better work-life balance than the other Big 4 in the city and than some other PwC offices, and I think this is partly due to the managing partners in the market...It's a really well-run office, and the people who lead each practice want to encourage more flexibility in how/where/when we get our work done.

Cons

Although my personal experience has involved a decent work-life balance for someone who works at a Big 4 firm, I still work a lot and don't get paid nearly as much as my friends in other industries. It's what we signed up for--top-notch training and the PwC name on our resumes in return for long hours and lower pay.

No regrets

Current Employee - Tax Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Tax Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The people are very talented

Cons

The work/life balance is a bit lacking

Great if you want to do accounting forever, and have a good manager (Assurance)

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Review for assurance practice only
    -Young colleagues (mostly +/- 3 or 4 years of your age if you're in your early-mid 20s
    -Learn about industries/companies from the inside-out
    -Well-oiled campus recruiting program

Cons

-Barely tries to retain talent, and will mostly give up on you at a drop of the hat bc fresh college grads are plentiful and cheap
    -The moment you give management a reason to doubt you, it becomes very difficult to come back

Worked for PwC? Contribute to the Community!