PwC

PwC Reviews in San Jose, CA

Updated Jul 30, 2014

PwC US Chairman & Senior Partner Robert Moritz

Robert Moritz

Pros
  • No work-life balance during busy season because the nature of assurance work (in 237 reviews)

• It is a great place to start your career if you want to stay in accounting (in 116 reviews)

Cons
  • Also work life balance is very difficult to achieve until it gets to the problem stage (in 803 reviews)

• Long hours during busy season but thats to be expected at any audit firm in the city (in 787 reviews)

More Highlights
133 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Breadth of technical development, but cookie-cutter corporate culture is not friendly to creativity

Experienced Tax Associate (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Pros* Exposure to variety of technical issues
    * High profile clients
    * Decent salary, but note also that your hourly wages (net) will be $16 during busy times

Cons* Cookie cutter mentality: not very adept at giving you tasks that play to your strengths, and in fact I think there is an attitude that everyone should have to "suffer" a bit in order to play on the team - ie, intentionally denying you opportunities to use your strengths.
    * Burn-out is high b/c staff is seen as highly dispensable
    * Associates are not eligible for end of year bonuses

Advice to Senior Management* Practice what you preach: enforce flexibility
    * Give associates end of year bonuses, in order to retain talent

Lots of opportunities to try something different

Senior Manager (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsPwC offers a variety of opportunities within the firm - client facing and internal. As you are looking for new challenges, you can easily find new opportunities in the Firm that will push you and challenge you in new ways. People are great and they make it so much more of an enjoyable experience. Firm provides great flexibility that (I have been told) you can't easily find in the industry.

ConsHours during busy season can be challenging especially when trying to accommodate family and kids. Regulatory landscape is constantly changing and, while the Firm provides lots of training, auditing is not what it used to be.

Weak Management of Administrative associates

Team Assistant (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsWell known company; good résumé builder; high level exposure.

ConsHigh level administrative leaders employ coordinators that cannot do the work they are handing to the admins to do. They do not listen to process improvements and overload you with work. If you do not finish your work they question everything you did. I documented everything and was hailed one if the strongest on the team, however, the coordinator would never recognize my contributions. Truly a great place but staffed with the wrong coordinators.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the right people in there. Embarrassing to PwC culture to see this go on for so long.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Endless learning - little to no worklife balance

Director (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsIncredible opporutnities to learn - different competencies, different projects
    Great opporutnities to travel - if that's what you want to do
    Great training on issue based problem solving and storytelling - very helpful in any career

ConsNo worklife balance
    Rain makers can get away with poor people skills
    (Very) risk adverse

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it a cool culture (eg like Google)
    Increase variable salary eg give shares to people below partners

rewarding in terms of exposure, connections, access to learning

Advisory Associate (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Prosamazing network of people and knowledge.
    Lot to learn from the people, business and industry!

Consdidnt see too many promotions at my level as an associate.
    Work life balance is only a 'talk about it' thing

Great company, good Principals, some Directors needing soft skils lessons

Manager (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsAwesome people, great benefits, offices and amenities. Great for career building if you can handle Bureaucracy.

ConsTravel (extensive in Advisory consulting); some Advisory Directors on the assignments need very urgent soft skills and project management training.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work but also re-train or filter the few Directors in Advisory who do not deserve their position.

Work hard - move up

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGreat opportunities if you are willing to put in the hours
    Recent acquisitions have opened opportunities for lateral moves
    Good training programs

ConsAs with any company, the quality of partners varies. Projects are poorly scoped causing havoc in the team's work-life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementCulture lacks inclusiveness, try to make people

Great company to kick start your career

Manager (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsIt provides opportunity to create your own success path and provides really good opportunities and variety of work. Similar to any consulting , teaches you how to work with internal teams and clients

ConsLong hours under tight timelines and budgets. Staffing continues to be a standing issue , but the work continues to increase with increasing demands.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork Life balance

A downhill enviornment

Customer Service Technician (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsYou get health and welfare points for working out

ConsThey are outsouring all of IT department to contractors and I can see stress level go up.

Great place to start your career.

Associate (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGood flexibility culture during the summer/off busy season period. Good learning and exposure. Challenging client work.

ConsDifficult to manage personal life and work life during busy season.

Worked for PwC? Contribute to the Community!