PwC

5,433 Reviews

PwC US Chairman & Senior Partner Robert Moritz
Robert Moritz
1,163 Ratings

Pros
  • No work-life balance during busy season because the nature of assurance work (in 257 reviews)

• You learn a lot about how to run complex businesses in fast-changing environments (in 132 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life Balance does not exist as much as they say they are still working on it (in 930 reviews)

• Long hours that often keep me at the office or working from home late at night (in 866 reviews)

More Highlights

195 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Place To Work

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at PwC full-time

Pros

Staff mates are amazing. You will learn a lot from your peers and your managers. Like most prestigious employers it is a great one to have on your resume no matter where you go in the future. Great benefits and very competitive salaries. Opportunities to work in different divisions and even other countries are readily available.

Cons

The work is intense and long. Do not plan the rest of your life on making it to partner, very few do, and those that do work very hard. Your biggest challenge may be getter your worklife balance. If you decide to take an "opportunity' for a tour in another country or office, make sure you understand how it will affect your progress. Some seem to delay promotions

Some of your middle managers don't seem to get the "people initiative."

Established company, pay compensation/progression super weak

Current Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory in Washington, DC

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

PwC has brand name value. People know the value of PwC consultants and that resonates when we are trying to win new work. There are many talented people here. Some positions are extremely flexible . Lots of high profile clients and somewhat interesting work (depending on the project).

Cons

Many of the work PwC chooses to provide is not in the areas of implementation but more of a governance/audit/outside look kind of role. Project Management is the bread and butter of PwC consulting, and these associates fool themselves into thinking that they actually do "work", when in reality they are just creating endless status reports and more busy work for their clients. Also, moving projects is way easier said than done if you work in the federal space. Politics and red tape can get in the way of your career progression.

The biggest con (and the reason why so many people leave this company) is the horrible pay progression every year. You are given a rating every performance year on a scale of 1 to 5 (1 being the best, 5 the worst), and based on that review you are given anywhere from no raise to up to maybe a 12-15% raise (rare). On average, most people who get 3s get about a 3.5% raise. For all that work they put in, and the super high rates the company charges their clients, the wage disparity between partners to associates is unreal. Partners who come in maybe 3 hours a week to client sites can charge up to $700 per hour. And partners love giving themselves bonuses that are about 80% of my annual salary, while giving us BS excuses for poor raises and bonuses by blaming it on "market conditions". My raise this year added about $90 to each of my paychecks.

I just got promoted to Senior Associate and instead of giving us a $10,000 raise (which they totally have the capacity to), they sent us to an experience in California called "Discover" where they had Falconry demonstrations (is exactly what it sounds like, falcon demonstrations), Tai Chi sessions, lavish poolside dinners, all at the super expensive Terranea Resort. The total cost of that trip was well over $10,000 per person. Don't get me wrong, I'll take a free trip to California any time, but in the end I'd rather have the money. I have bills to pay.

PwC wonders why they cannot retain talent, and it's really simple. It all boils down to numbers. You want me to stay?Pay me what I deserve or I'll go somewhere else. Think that sounds selfish? That's how we are judged every performance year, by pure numbers. Partners could care less about our actual performance and value gained, they just want to ensure their profit margins are strong and consistent. If you aren't utilized 90% or more, partners see you as basically failures. Senior Associates are the most prone to leave, and that's because we are doing Manager level work in most cases, but fail to get paid like managers.

A strong employer who understands the need to hire and retain good people

Current Employee - Manager - Advisory in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager - Advisory in Washington, DC

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The firm offers a tremendous amount of benefits, including unlimited sick days, up to 22 days of vacation, and a paid sabbatical as a promotional bonus. In additional, all levels have opportunities to earn annual performance bonuses, and leadership worked very hard to avoid layoffs during the recent economic downturn. They are also very honest about what is expected of personnel, and are generally fair when it comes to compensation, promotions, and recognition. Everyone has the opportunity to manage their own career, and I have personally seen leadership support transfers to different practices in order to help personal career growth.

Cons

It all depends on your partner. Application of all of the above varies between partners and practices. Partners also can be very competitive, which can impact those working for competing partners. Recent changes in performance evaluations have made the process less transparent, resulting in staff distrust in leadership.

Hold partners (and high-performing directors) to the same standards of running their business across the board, specifically when it comes to staff management and evaluations.

Tax internship (summer)

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Washington, DC

I have been working at PwC as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good, smart people. Everyone is very helpful and want you to learn and advance.

Cons

I don't have any cons from my internship experience

N/a

Great Brand with some Fragile Corners

Former Employee - Senior SAP Consultant/Advisory/Federal Services in Washington, DC

I worked at PwC as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great Brand name, Some Top Quality people, Classy, A numbers of opportunities in Federal Arena!

Cons

Compensation is always bit lower side in comparison of Brand name & similar Market

Tough to come in as a senior executive; Good place to get started

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at PwC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

PwC is a good place to start out if you are coming right from college. It is a rough, take-no-prisoners environment, but looks good on the resume. If your personality fits in with the competitive culture, you may even make a career out of it.

Cons

It is nearly impossible for anyone who has worked in a corporate or consulting environment to find satisfaction or joy at PwC. This is because the culture and management style are so toxic, that unless you are fresh out of school and do not know any better, you are constantly realizing how abusive the situation is for employees who are not yet partners.

Grow your own talent so they only know the PwC way and forget trying to transition mid-career or senior professionals into the organization.

Needs to be more accommodating and flexible for its employees

Former Employee - Advisory Associate in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Advisory Associate in McLean, VA

I worked at PwC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's ok for decently talented people, I guess.

Cons

It's huge. You get lost in the numbers. They don't really differentiate between great and ok candidates. Wide range of ability. Pay is meh versus rest of consulting industry. No exit opps (they don't pay for MBA).

Stop sucking so much... You don't listen to the associates, when they probably have the best suggestions for improvement. You won't retain and build talent if you treat your building blocks badly. And you won't develop talent if you don't differentiate between the best and the not-best.

Great firm and good people focused on solving business problems

Current Employee - Risk Assuance Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Risk Assuance Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits as well as people and skills. Hire the best people which is demonstrated in the outcomes and results of the overall firm.

Cons

Leaders work on their own island (pyramid) and are to busy to bring in new lines of service. Technology is poor.

Integrate more and often to grow.

Executive Leadership

Former Employee - Managing Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Managing Director in Washington, DC

I worked at PwC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People focused culture, great career growth opportunities, if interested international opportunities.

Cons

Long hours required to achieve success

Consider even more incentives to support retention of greatest talent pool.

The company has great people, but compensation is not commensurate with the expected workload.

Current Employee - Experienced Associate - Advisory in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Experienced Associate - Advisory in Washington, DC

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people. Good networking and brand. Opportunities to work abroad. Nice office spaces and corporate events. New performance method (implemented this year) could prove helpful in valuing it people better. High career potential and potential earnings if you can last long enough to make it to upper management.

Cons

Work-life balance is terrible. Lots of travel. Leadership is variable by practice group and in my case disappointing. High turnover. Pay not commensurate with expected workload.

Compensate your people relative to their level of effort. If you expect lots of travel, long hours, weekends, and holidays, pay people adequately to justify the sacrifice.