PwC Reviews in Washington, DC

3.6
4,914 Reviews

PwC US Chairman & Senior Partner Robert Moritz
Robert Moritz

Pros
  • No work-life balance during busy season because the nature of assurance work (in 237 reviews)

• It is a great place to start your career if you want to stay in accounting (in 116 reviews)

Cons
  • Also work life balance is very difficult to achieve until it gets to the problem stage (in 803 reviews)

• Long hours during busy season but thats to be expected at any audit firm in the city (in 787 reviews)

More Highlights

182 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great experience. Very professional and structured environment. Lot of things to do outside of work. Nice people

Current Employee - Audit Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Audit Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at PwC as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Very structured professional development. Lots of opportunities for growth. A lot of mobility. Very large organization, and nice people. Senior management was very nice as well. Great place to start out of college.

Cons

Work/life balance is difficult; Focus is typically on advisory and assurance divisions - there are a lot of others that people don't know about.

Awesome internship experience

Current Employee - Forensics  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Forensics in Washington, DC

I have been working at PwC as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Wide variety of work, people are AMAZING, so warm and welcoming, great exposure to client work and many interactions with directors and partners. PwC is so flexible, chill, and understanding. I'm definitely accepting a full time offer.

Cons

I've heard working a lot of hours can happen

keep up the good work

Crash course into the busy corporate world.

Current Employee - Tax Associate  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Tax Associate in McLean, VA

I have been working at PwC full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have only been here 8 months and my email, linkedin are flooded with recruiting emails.

Cons

Low pay in comparison to the hours you work. Getting stuck in a group becomes a problem as well. Once you get in the firm, it isn't as easy as managers make it sound to move around.

Hire upper level leaders who focus on building the team rather than their own image.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice first job after college

Current Employee - Experienced Tax Associate  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Experienced Tax Associate in McLean, VA

I have been working at PwC full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can gain insight into all different types of business.

Cons

Long hours and no work/life balance.

Catalyst Hire? No thanks.

Former Employee - Advisory Director  in  McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Advisory Director in McLean, VA

I worked at PwC full-time for more than a year

Pros

PwC's "brand" is remarkably high and it brings in a lot of remarkable "catalyst" hires from industry and government.

Cons

The problem with PwC and catalyst hires is that the firm has no real way of utilzing them or properly integrating them into practice groups. Other directors and below resent new personnel coming in at their level or above, potentially taking promotion chances away from them. Work life balance is non-existent in the hunt for the almighty dollar. SMEs are sucked dry of information, but not given origination credit or billable hours, and then discarded. And permeating the culture of the firm is an often unwarranted arrogance of "we're the best."

Scale back the bureaucracy. It's there to use against unwary new hires at ARC, not predict metrics. Seriously. Pull in a number of former catalyst hires and interview them about the process and their experiences. Build a real program for experienced hires that really trains them for consulting and firm practices. The sink-or-swim approach is an utter failure. Barring that, stop hiring catalyst hires. You are doing them, your clients, and the firm a disservice.

Great Team, Flexible at certain time of the year, you will learn so much there

Current Employee - Experienced Associate - Advisory  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Experienced Associate - Advisory in Washington, DC

I have been working at PwC full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are always willing to answer questions. You will learn so much from the training sections and from your own team. Opportunities to interact with client and manage your own team at a young age.

Cons

long hours during busy season, but that's typical for a big 4 career.
    Rating and raise don't really reflect your contribution

find a better way to reward people more fairly

Know what you want

Current Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory in Washington, DC

I have been working at PwC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great opportunity to build a professional network. Good opportunities for different kinds of work and being exposed to different industries. Flexibility with family life.

Cons

Level of compensation is lower than expected. Work/life balance is talked about, but promotions are heavily weighted towards billed hours and number of hours of overtime. How much and the type of work you do is very dependent upon the work your directors bring in - if they don't bring in work, you won't get the billable hours and your performance review will suffer.

No Long Term Vision

Former Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory in Washington, DC

I worked at PwC full-time for more than a year

Pros

-PwC starts as a great employer, they really sell to the new employee that they care about you because people are their only asset.
    -You are assigned a coach and mine always looked out for my best interest and were a big advocate
    -Other members of leadership within the firm served as mentors and provided insight that someone fairly new to the professional workforce may not have

Cons

-They over hire so that they can meet the immediate demands, but when they lose business they have no qualms about cutting people loose en masse
    -Pay was OK, they do not give substantial increases, only way to make more is to go elsewhere. Also note that their healthcare benefits are HORRIBLE, hope you have a spouse that is employed elsewhere if you want good benefits.
    -They have a rating process each year, ARC, it is biased and does not provide any transparency. For example, I once was downgraded because as an Associate I didn't win any proposals (yet I still got promoted at the same time)
    -Project staffing is based on random bodies that are available and not any specific expertise, each project I was put on was totally unrelated to other projects I was previously on
    -To be eligible for bonus or advancement you need to have between 350-400 hours of overtime logged in the year and that will equate to about $5-6 an hour

Overall has been a good place to work, smart people, lots of different opportunities

Current Employee - Advisory Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Advisory Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at PwC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I've been with PwC for about seven years; started as an associate, moved up to Senior associate, then to manager. I've learned so much here and have matured into a more seasoned consultant. The people are great and that's really what has kept me here so long. I've been on teams with nice, interesting, hardworking people who make the projects enjoyable. I learn from people at all levels - those above me, my peers, and my staff. PwC really hires sharp people. I've been able to work on a variety of client engagements and gain a range of valuable experience. As a manager, I'm starting to be exposed more to the business side of things which has been very valuable as well. If you show interest and a willingness to work hard, and you produce high quality work, people will invest in you and give you chances to work on interesting assignments and grow your career.

Cons

It is very demanding and, for me, probably not sustainable as I get older. There is a semi-official overtime requirement of 300-400 hours per year depending on your level. I find that no one has to make me do the overtime -- it really takes me this much time to do all that is expected of me. I did more than 500 hours of overtime last year, contributed to about a dozen proposals, managed three client engagements, and was highly billable - I was considered an average (which they call "high") performer at performance review time. This is just what is expected as standard. I've also found that the individual partner teams have very different cultures. I was on one that was not a good fit for me at all and I struggled. I moved to a different team and have, not only been happier, but it was there that I was able to advance in my career.

Executive Assistant - fulfilling

Current Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at PwC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great company to work for with exceptional knowledge management; managers want to help you progress; great partners

Cons

Long hours, great talk about how the ARC process will help in improving compensation, but the best way to increase compensation is to move on and come back

Worked for PwC? Contribute to the Community!