PwC

PwC Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated Jul 30, 2014

PwC US Chairman & Senior Partner Robert Moritz

Robert Moritz

Pros
  • No work-life balance during busy season because the nature of assurance work (in 237 reviews)

• It is a great place to start your career if you want to stay in accounting (in 116 reviews)

Cons
  • Also work life balance is very difficult to achieve until it gets to the problem stage (in 803 reviews)

• Long hours during busy season but thats to be expected at any audit firm in the city (in 787 reviews)

More Highlights
91 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Team, Flexible at certain time of the year, you will learn so much there

Experienced Associate - Advisory (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsPeople are always willing to answer questions. You will learn so much from the training sections and from your own team. Opportunities to interact with client and manage your own team at a young age.

Conslong hours during busy season, but that's typical for a big 4 career.
    Rating and raise don't really reflect your contribution

Advice to Senior Managementfind a better way to reward people more fairly

Know what you want

Senior Associate - Advisory (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat opportunity to build a professional network. Good opportunities for different kinds of work and being exposed to different industries. Flexibility with family life.

ConsLevel of compensation is lower than expected. Work/life balance is talked about, but promotions are heavily weighted towards billed hours and number of hours of overtime. How much and the type of work you do is very dependent upon the work your directors bring in - if they don't bring in work, you won't get the billable hours and your performance review will suffer.

No Long Term Vision

Senior Associate - Advisory (Former Employee) Washington, DC

Pros-PwC starts as a great employer, they really sell to the new employee that they care about you because people are their only asset.
    -You are assigned a coach and mine always looked out for my best interest and were a big advocate
    -Other members of leadership within the firm served as mentors and provided insight that someone fairly new to the professional workforce may not have

Cons-They over hire so that they can meet the immediate demands, but when they lose business they have no qualms about cutting people loose en masse
    -Pay was OK, they do not give substantial increases, only way to make more is to go elsewhere. Also note that their healthcare benefits are HORRIBLE, hope you have a spouse that is employed elsewhere if you want good benefits.
    -They have a rating process each year, ARC, it is biased and does not provide any transparency. For example, I once was downgraded because as an Associate I didn't win any proposals (yet I still got promoted at the same time)
    -Project staffing is based on random bodies that are available and not any specific expertise, each project I was put on was totally unrelated to other projects I was previously on
    -To be eligible for bonus or advancement you need to have between 350-400 hours of overtime logged in the year and that will equate to about $5-6 an hour

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall has been a good place to work, smart people, lots of different opportunities

Advisory Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsI've been with PwC for about seven years; started as an associate, moved up to Senior associate, then to manager. I've learned so much here and have matured into a more seasoned consultant. The people are great and that's really what has kept me here so long. I've been on teams with nice, interesting, hardworking people who make the projects enjoyable. I learn from people at all levels - those above me, my peers, and my staff. PwC really hires sharp people. I've been able to work on a variety of client engagements and gain a range of valuable experience. As a manager, I'm starting to be exposed more to the business side of things which has been very valuable as well. If you show interest and a willingness to work hard, and you produce high quality work, people will invest in you and give you chances to work on interesting assignments and grow your career.

ConsIt is very demanding and, for me, probably not sustainable as I get older. There is a semi-official overtime requirement of 300-400 hours per year depending on your level. I find that no one has to make me do the overtime -- it really takes me this much time to do all that is expected of me. I did more than 500 hours of overtime last year, contributed to about a dozen proposals, managed three client engagements, and was highly billable - I was considered an average (which they call "high") performer at performance review time. This is just what is expected as standard. I've also found that the individual partner teams have very different cultures. I was on one that was not a good fit for me at all and I struggled. I moved to a different team and have, not only been happier, but it was there that I was able to advance in my career.

Executive Assistant - fulfilling

Executive Assistant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat company to work for with exceptional knowledge management; managers want to help you progress; great partners

ConsLong hours, great talk about how the ARC process will help in improving compensation, but the best way to increase compensation is to move on and come back

Good pay but no life to spend the money on

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsExcellent pay, lots of extra benefits available to employees, generally they prefer to invest in employees they already have rather than constantly trying to find new talent (which is an extremely rare quality for a large consulting firm, especially in federal space). Provide uncountable opportunities for career advancement and learning and development. They truly believe in their people.

ConsWork life balance is totally non existent. Mandatory overtime hour standards are ludicrous, and in conjunction with client utilization targets, you are effectively working an extra 4 weeks a year with no vacation. VERY demanding. The annual review process is a total sham and extremely frustrating but luckily, it only happens once a year!

Great place to learn and launch a career

Advisory Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat place to learn and launch a career

ConsDisconnected leadership...awful work / life balance

Great

Advisory Director (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsHighly Collaborative environment contributes to great solutions

ConsTravel but that is to be expected in consulting

Many career opportunities

Experienced Audit Associate (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsFirm leadership is addressing significant pain points within the business (inefficiencies, work/life balance, technology hurdles, etc.). Trying to improve things, although many initiatives take a while to "trickle down" to a staff level. Promotions and salary increases happen fairly frequently - with yearly bumps to salary ranging from 5-10%. You have the ability to steer your career in many different directions after the first year or so (which you should spend proving your value!). I very much like working for PwC.

ConsLong hours. Long hours. Long hours. It can be tough and tedious work. Depending on the market in which you work, you may not get much down time at any point during the year. I know friends in my market that have ended up working 6 or more "busy seasons" or year-ends in one year, due to not-for-profits and other companies that may not have a 12/31 year end. There aren't too many politics within the firm internally, but there is a lot of red tape to navigate from regulators such as the PCAOB. This is what ends up causing a lot of the tedium in day to day work.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to prioritize your people and there will be less and less turnover.

Very good internship.

Financial Service Representative Intern (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsI really enjoyed the challenges that I was given during this internship. Also, I loved the office location in downtown DC.

ConsI don't have any cons! I think the company is constantly improving itself and so that would be my bottom line. Don't expect everything to be perfect when you do start working here.

Worked for PwC? Contribute to the Community!