PwC Reviews

4.0
PwC US Chairman & Senior Partner Robert Moritz
Robert Moritz
1,314 Ratings

1. Collaborative, fast-paced, demanding, fulfilling.

Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at PwC as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, international focused, keen on global mindset.

Cons

Work-life balance suffers, easy if you have no family. If you do, time to make the tough decisions. Work or go home to the brat.

None.

2. Sr consultant

Former Employee - Senior Associate, Advisory in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Associate, Advisory in Washington, DC

I worked at PwC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great projects, excellent caliber employees

Cons

Difficult to move around between practices

Make movement of individuals who want to try different projects easier.

3. Senior Consultant

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at PwC

Pros

Excellent company for people straight of school willing to work long hours and learn a lot.

Cons

Not a good fit for experienced professional in mid-to-late career.

5. Great Place To Work

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at PwC full-time

Pros

Staff mates are amazing. You will learn a lot from your peers and your managers. Like most prestigious employers it is a great one to have on your resume no matter where you go in the future. Great benefits and very competitive salaries. Opportunities to work in different divisions and even other countries are readily available.

Cons

The work is intense and long. Do not plan the rest of your life on making it to partner, very few do, and those that do work very hard. Your biggest challenge may be getter your worklife balance. If you decide to take an "opportunity' for a tour in another country or office, make sure you understand how it will affect your progress. Some seem to delay promotions

Some of your middle managers don't seem to get the "people initiative."

Established company, pay compensation/progression super weak

Current Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory in Washington, DC

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

PwC has brand name value. People know the value of PwC consultants and that resonates when we are trying to win new work. There are many talented people here. Some positions are extremely flexible . Lots of high profile clients and somewhat interesting work (depending on the project).

Cons

Many of the work PwC chooses to provide is not in the areas of implementation but more of a governance/audit/outside look kind of role. Project Management is the bread and butter of PwC consulting, and these associates fool themselves into thinking that they actually do "work", when in reality they are just creating endless status reports and more busy work for their clients. Also, moving projects is way easier said than done if you work in the federal space. Politics and red tape can get in the way of your career progression.

The biggest con (and the reason why so many people leave this company) is the horrible pay progression every year. You are given a rating every performance year on a scale of 1 to 5 (1 being the best, 5 the worst), and based on that review you are given anywhere from no raise to up to maybe a 12-15% raise (rare). On average, most people who get 3s get about a 3.5% raise. For all that work they put in, and the super high rates the company charges their clients, the wage disparity between partners to associates is unreal. Partners who come in maybe 3 hours a week to client sites can charge up to $700 per hour. And partners love giving themselves bonuses that are about 80% of my annual salary, while giving us BS excuses for poor raises and bonuses by blaming it on "market conditions". My raise this year added about $90 to each of my paychecks.

I just got promoted to Senior Associate and instead of giving us a $10,000 raise (which they totally have the capacity to), they sent us to an experience in California called "Discover" where they had Falconry demonstrations (is exactly what it sounds like, falcon demonstrations), Tai Chi sessions, lavish poolside dinners, all at the super expensive Terranea Resort. The total cost of that trip was well over $10,000 per person. Don't get me wrong, I'll take a free trip to California any time, but in the end I'd rather have the money. I have bills to pay.

PwC wonders why they cannot retain talent, and it's really simple. It all boils down to numbers. You want me to stay?Pay me what I deserve or I'll go somewhere else. Think that sounds selfish? That's how we are judged every performance year, by pure numbers. Partners could care less about our actual performance and value gained, they just want to ensure their profit margins are strong and consistent. If you aren't utilized 90% or more, partners see you as basically failures. Senior Associates are the most prone to leave, and that's because we are doing Manager level work in most cases, but fail to get paid like managers.

A strong employer who understands the need to hire and retain good people

Current Employee - Manager - Advisory in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager - Advisory in Washington, DC

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The firm offers a tremendous amount of benefits, including unlimited sick days, up to 22 days of vacation, and a paid sabbatical as a promotional bonus. In additional, all levels have opportunities to earn annual performance bonuses, and leadership worked very hard to avoid layoffs during the recent economic downturn. They are also very honest about what is expected of personnel, and are generally fair when it comes to compensation, promotions, and recognition. Everyone has the opportunity to manage their own career, and I have personally seen leadership support transfers to different practices in order to help personal career growth.

Cons

It all depends on your partner. Application of all of the above varies between partners and practices. Partners also can be very competitive, which can impact those working for competing partners. Recent changes in performance evaluations have made the process less transparent, resulting in staff distrust in leadership.

Hold partners (and high-performing directors) to the same standards of running their business across the board, specifically when it comes to staff management and evaluations.

8. Tax internship (summer)

Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Washington, DC
    Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Washington, DC

I have been working at PwC as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good, smart people. Everyone is very helpful and want you to learn and advance.

Cons

I don't have any cons from my internship experience

N/a

9. Great Brand with some Fragile Corners

Former Contractor - Senior SAP Consultant/Advisory/Federal Services in Washington, DC

I worked at PwC as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Great Brand name, Some Top Quality people, Classy, A numbers of opportunities in Federal Arena!

Cons

Compensation is always bit lower side in comparison of Brand name & similar Market

Great firm and good people focused on solving business problems

Current Employee - Risk Assuance Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Risk Assuance Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits as well as people and skills. Hire the best people which is demonstrated in the outcomes and results of the overall firm.

Cons

Leaders work on their own island (pyramid) and are to busy to bring in new lines of service. Technology is poor.

Integrate more and often to grow.

11. Executive Leadership

Former Employee - Managing Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Managing Director in Washington, DC

I worked at PwC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People focused culture, great career growth opportunities, if interested international opportunities.

Cons

Long hours required to achieve success

Consider even more incentives to support retention of greatest talent pool.