PwC

5,415 Reviews

PwC US Chairman & Senior Partner Robert Moritz
Robert Moritz
1,156 Ratings

Pros
  • No work-life balance during busy season because the nature of assurance work (in 257 reviews)

• You learn a lot about how to run complex businesses in fast-changing environments (in 132 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life Balance does not exist as much as they say they are still working on it (in 930 reviews)

• Long hours that often keep me at the office or working from home late at night (in 866 reviews)

More Highlights

102 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Place To Work

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at PwC full-time

Pros

Staff mates are amazing. You will learn a lot from your peers and your managers. Like most prestigious employers it is a great one to have on your resume no matter where you go in the future. Great benefits and very competitive salaries. Opportunities to work in different divisions and even other countries are readily available.

Cons

The work is intense and long. Do not plan the rest of your life on making it to partner, very few do, and those that do work very hard. Your biggest challenge may be getter your worklife balance. If you decide to take an "opportunity' for a tour in another country or office, make sure you understand how it will affect your progress. Some seem to delay promotions

Some of your middle managers don't seem to get the "people initiative."

Established company, pay compensation/progression super weak

Current Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory in Washington, DC

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

PwC has brand name value. People know the value of PwC consultants and that resonates when we are trying to win new work. There are many talented people here. Some positions are extremely flexible . Lots of high profile clients and somewhat interesting work (depending on the project).

Cons

Many of the work PwC chooses to provide is not in the areas of implementation but more of a governance/audit/outside look kind of role. Project Management is the bread and butter of PwC consulting, and these associates fool themselves into thinking that they actually do "work", when in reality they are just creating endless status reports and more busy work for their clients. Also, moving projects is way easier said than done if you work in the federal space. Politics and red tape can get in the way of your career progression.

The biggest con (and the reason why so many people leave this company) is the horrible pay progression every year. You are given a rating every performance year on a scale of 1 to 5 (1 being the best, 5 the worst), and based on that review you are given anywhere from no raise to up to maybe a 12-15% raise (rare). On average, most people who get 3s get about a 3.5% raise. For all that work they put in, and the super high rates the company charges their clients, the wage disparity between partners to associates is unreal. Partners who come in maybe 3 hours a week to client sites can charge up to $700 per hour. And partners love giving themselves bonuses that are about 80% of my annual salary, while giving us BS excuses for poor raises and bonuses by blaming it on "market conditions". My raise this year added about $90 to each of my paychecks.

I just got promoted to Senior Associate and instead of giving us a $10,000 raise (which they totally have the capacity to), they sent us to an experience in California called "Discover" where they had Falconry demonstrations (is exactly what it sounds like, falcon demonstrations), Tai Chi sessions, lavish poolside dinners, all at the super expensive Terranea Resort. The total cost of that trip was well over $10,000 per person. Don't get me wrong, I'll take a free trip to California any time, but in the end I'd rather have the money. I have bills to pay.

PwC wonders why they cannot retain talent, and it's really simple. It all boils down to numbers. You want me to stay?Pay me what I deserve or I'll go somewhere else. Think that sounds selfish? That's how we are judged every performance year, by pure numbers. Partners could care less about our actual performance and value gained, they just want to ensure their profit margins are strong and consistent. If you aren't utilized 90% or more, partners see you as basically failures. Senior Associates are the most prone to leave, and that's because we are doing Manager level work in most cases, but fail to get paid like managers.

A strong employer who understands the need to hire and retain good people

Current Employee - Manager - Advisory in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager - Advisory in Washington, DC

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The firm offers a tremendous amount of benefits, including unlimited sick days, up to 22 days of vacation, and a paid sabbatical as a promotional bonus. In additional, all levels have opportunities to earn annual performance bonuses, and leadership worked very hard to avoid layoffs during the recent economic downturn. They are also very honest about what is expected of personnel, and are generally fair when it comes to compensation, promotions, and recognition. Everyone has the opportunity to manage their own career, and I have personally seen leadership support transfers to different practices in order to help personal career growth.

Cons

It all depends on your partner. Application of all of the above varies between partners and practices. Partners also can be very competitive, which can impact those working for competing partners. Recent changes in performance evaluations have made the process less transparent, resulting in staff distrust in leadership.

Hold partners (and high-performing directors) to the same standards of running their business across the board, specifically when it comes to staff management and evaluations.

Tax internship (summer)

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Washington, DC

I have been working at PwC as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good, smart people. Everyone is very helpful and want you to learn and advance.

Cons

I don't have any cons from my internship experience

N/a

Great Brand with some Fragile Corners

Former Employee - Senior SAP Consultant/Advisory/Federal Services in Washington, DC

I worked at PwC as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great Brand name, Some Top Quality people, Classy, A numbers of opportunities in Federal Arena!

Cons

Compensation is always bit lower side in comparison of Brand name & similar Market

Tough to come in as a senior executive; Good place to get started

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at PwC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

PwC is a good place to start out if you are coming right from college. It is a rough, take-no-prisoners environment, but looks good on the resume. If your personality fits in with the competitive culture, you may even make a career out of it.

Cons

It is nearly impossible for anyone who has worked in a corporate or consulting environment to find satisfaction or joy at PwC. This is because the culture and management style are so toxic, that unless you are fresh out of school and do not know any better, you are constantly realizing how abusive the situation is for employees who are not yet partners.

Grow your own talent so they only know the PwC way and forget trying to transition mid-career or senior professionals into the organization.

Great firm and good people focused on solving business problems

Current Employee - Risk Assuance Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Risk Assuance Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits as well as people and skills. Hire the best people which is demonstrated in the outcomes and results of the overall firm.

Cons

Leaders work on their own island (pyramid) and are to busy to bring in new lines of service. Technology is poor.

Integrate more and often to grow.

The company has great people, but compensation is not commensurate with the expected workload.

Current Employee - Experienced Associate - Advisory in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Experienced Associate - Advisory in Washington, DC

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people. Good networking and brand. Opportunities to work abroad. Nice office spaces and corporate events. New performance method (implemented this year) could prove helpful in valuing it people better. High career potential and potential earnings if you can last long enough to make it to upper management.

Cons

Work-life balance is terrible. Lots of travel. Leadership is variable by practice group and in my case disappointing. High turnover. Pay not commensurate with expected workload.

Compensate your people relative to their level of effort. If you expect lots of travel, long hours, weekends, and holidays, pay people adequately to justify the sacrifice.

Executive Leadership

Former Employee - Managing Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Managing Director in Washington, DC

I worked at PwC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People focused culture, great career growth opportunities, if interested international opportunities.

Cons

Long hours required to achieve success

Consider even more incentives to support retention of greatest talent pool.

PwC's Federal Consulting Practice (DC)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at PwC full-time

Pros

The pay is good, better than what most people are getting out of university. If you get an internship and don't mess up royally, you're set up for a job coming out of school, which takes a lot of stress out of the whole process. That being said, your job will be nothing like the internship.

This varies according to what team you get assigned to, but I've found that most of the people here are genuinely fairly awesome. Consulting is the field people gravitate to when they're not sure what else to do, so you'll meet a diverse group. Half of the people you meet will be gone in the first year, either to a competing firm or a completely different industry. You can usually predict who will do what. (A lot of really cool people will leave to do something more exciting).

You can set yourself up for the projects you want if you play the game the right way. (Not my thing, but I've seen people do it and become very successful). If you want to do this, expect to work a lot of extra hours and network a bunch. You have to be a bit of a schmoozer and have some boring conversations, but you can build connections here that will carry over into other jobs.

Great to have on your resume, especially as a first 2/3 year gig out of school. Can't speak to transitioning into this at the higher management levels.

Cons

Work-life balance is a lie. If you want to get a decent rating (at the entry levels), you're required to do 400 hours (minimum) over the standard hours you will spend on your client work. Hour requirements go up as you move up. You're evaluated against your peers, so that number also goes up depending on what they do. This may not be true for other sectors. Expect weekend work and long hours during proposal season. This is not a 9 - 5 and some people here pride themselves on being perpetually busy (though I think that happens at a lot of places, especially in DC). People look down on you for taking a lot of time off.

Government clients can be a pain. Some will be great, some will be lazy. The sheer ineptitude of certain divisions can make you cynical if you let it.

It can be difficult to get out of a bad project, especially if it's long-term. You have to be proactive and patient with management when trying to do so. Everyone thinks they can be patient, but the reality of waiting and following up with people can be quite frustrating. It feels like looking for a job in your own company.

-Be honest during recruitment and internships about what to expect.
    -Be more open to receiving honest feedback from staff. This has gotten a little better recently, but there's a lot of room for improvement.
    -People, especially younger employees, are often staffed on projects that don't align with their strengths/interests, when there is a person on another team that would be better suited. To be fair, there's not a system in place to provide knowledge of everyone's talent/interest in a coherent way for management to access.