Pyramid Hotel Group

2.4

Richard M. Kelleher

The Micro-managing Company

I have been working at Pyramid Hotel Group

Pros

Since they are managing a lot of hotels and other properties, there is room for growth. I started as an hourly employee, now I am a manager. A great place to gain experience. Complete benefit package with 401K.

Cons

The higher you go the tighter corporate is to you. They micromanage managers too much. Reports are very important. They have this uniform template of reports that are so complex that they expect you to master it the minute you receive it from them. Other reports are redundant since they can always browse it themselves in the system. they can be very demanding

Corporate should trust your managers more in doing their jobs. Micromanaging only upsets hotel managers especially in operations because they are "scared" corporate might disapprove especially in dealing with labor productivity

Toxic from the Top --> Down

I have been working at Pyramid Hotel Group

Pros

Employees enjoy hotel discounts at the outlets and other company properties across the country; 401(k) plan; opportunities to move up at your property

Cons

Micro-management is at an all time high - managers are expected to complete numerous reports weekly and monthly that are tedious, redundant, and are never actually looked at by corporate.

Managers feel as if they're constantly being tested and trying to be caught doing something incorrectly.

Attitudes of upper management trickle down to the property level and leave a bad taste in employees' mouths.

HR on the property does not take employees seriously and does not act as an advocate for employees. People would rather let things go than take it to HR.

Communication is poor from upper management to managers to line associates. Mistakes are constantly made that could have been easily avoided if communication was a priority.

Look at the big picture of what is fundamentally wrong with management. The old school ways of managing employees is not longer applicable. Employees need to feel heard and respected.

Not who they say they are

I have been working at Pyramid Hotel Group

Pros

hard to think of any

Cons

company does not walk the talk. Everything is micro-managed with old ideas

be collaborative and allow new ways of thinking

I wish I had better things to say

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ponte Vedra, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ponte Vedra, FL

I have been working at Pyramid Hotel Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, hotel perks, great co workers. All 3 GMs that came and went were nice. 401k, medical, dental, vision, life insurance

Cons

Low wages, poor management, incestual work environment (she dates him, he's married to her), very poor scheduling. Upper management will swoop low to make the numbers "fit".

Stop trying to reinvent the wheel and get over yourselves. Just put in an honest day's work and the rest will fall into place. Your employees will respect you.

Avoid like its your job to

I worked at Pyramid Hotel Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Base pay is fair
    Some decent people

Cons

Bonus plan achievement was like hunting unicorns
    Abusive culture-yelling/screaming part of everyday culture-didn't see on website

Leadership from Boston-treat people better in the field GM level- they'll be better to their staffs-staffs will be better to guests-guest will support with business-not rocket science

Peer review ?

Current Employee - Front Desk Supervisor in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Front Desk Supervisor in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Pyramid Hotel Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like working for pyramid because of the care culture.

Cons

Some challenges I face is the pay scale after working nearly 3 years I have received a very small raise! I have been promoted 2x and became associated of the month once. Associate reviews also known as peer reviews/pay increase scale is poorly designed. I have been recognized by many guests and directly increased hotel scores to a positive number. However when it comes time for my review it's never a perfect review ? Who truly gets a perfect score on a review ?

Pay the under dogs more ! We are the ones in the front line of business ensuring those important scores go! It sure would be nice to see a pay check of $ 1000.00 or more for those who are supervisors change the way associates are reviewed, offer more management training for those associates wanting to move to a higher role. I.E management at another property for a week like a shadow program.

Promotes family work balance, We are family. Really?

I worked at Pyramid Hotel Group

Pros

Great benefits. Blue Cross, great insurance. No 401K, not sure why others had it and we did not.

Cons

They are your family. That is what they meant by "We are Family". Kiss your family goodbye.

Too demanding, too much reporting the same information over and over yet no one reads it at the corporate level. Paper paper paper.

Great place to grow in hospitality field

Former Contractor - Bartender in Newton, MA
    Former Contractor - Bartender in Newton, MA

I worked at Pyramid Hotel Group as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

My co-workers were great here. I worked for the bar (Bokx 109) inside the Hotel Indigo in Newton. Management was great and everyone worked toward a common goal.

Cons

Summer position ended and wasn't offered a full time position. Hotel Management can be picky at times when you try to lounge after your shift

I would have preferred more responsibility, as a level headed individual I knew how to conduct myself on the premises.

Long Hours, low pay, and workplace politics

Current Employee - Management in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Management in Denver, CO

I have been working at Pyramid Hotel Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good opportunity to get your foot in the door of the industry or a particular department... however, I think this is just because the wages are low and they're willing to accept less experienced people to maintain a lean payroll. Get in, gain experience and get out before they chew you up. I've heard properties other than Denver are better but I wouldn't know. Benefits are ok.

Cons

They expect a lot out of their employees and don't compensate us for it. Low wages, long hours, stressfully low staffing levels, literally 0 training, few incentive programs, employee appreciation is nonexistent, work/life balance is terrible. They seem to take advantage of capable employees. If you're overqualified or hardworking you get abused and, in my case and many of my colleagues, really burned out. I've watched them treat great people like crap while reserving promotions and higher salaries for those with connections to the corporate office. It's well understood at this property that if you're not in the club you shouldn't expect opportunity.

I'm not here to offer advice, just warnings to prospective employees.

Front Desk

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Daytona Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Daytona Beach, FL

I have been working at Pyramid Hotel Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Busy days go by fast

Cons

Some guests are extremely rude and demanding, days can be very stressful