Pyramid Hotel Group Reviews

Updated March 5, 2015
18 reviews filtered by
2.4
Richard M. Kelleher

1. Great company for those who thrive in a very structured, high expectation environment

Former Employee - Financial Controller in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Financial Controller in Denver, CO

I worked at Pyramid Hotel Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Regional and Corporate Accounting/Finance personnel are very supportive in procedural matters.

Cons

Heavy IT compliance/management assigned to hotel controllers/DOFs. Difficult to adjust/change staffing and operational costs when business levels warrant.

Listen and trust in your on-property management team to make decisions for the good of the hotel.

2. Toxic from the Top --> Down

I have been working at Pyramid Hotel Group

Pros

Employees enjoy hotel discounts at the outlets and other company properties across the country; 401(k) plan; opportunities to move up at your property

Cons

Micro-management is at an all time high - managers are expected to complete numerous reports weekly and monthly that are tedious, redundant, and are never actually looked at by corporate.

Managers feel as if they're constantly being tested and trying to be caught doing something incorrectly.

Attitudes of upper management trickle down to the property level and leave a bad taste in employees' mouths.

HR on the property does not take employees seriously and does not act as an advocate for employees. People would rather let things go than take it to HR.

Communication is poor from upper management to managers to line associates. Mistakes are constantly made that could have been easily avoided if communication was a priority.

Look at the big picture of what is fundamentally wrong with management. The old school ways of managing employees is not longer applicable. Employees need to feel heard and respected.

A company of poor benefits, walking on eggshells, and micromanagement.

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Pyramid Hotel Group full-time

Pros

Opportunity to travel with your career. Discounts for properties within Pyramid Hotel Group.

Cons

• Ultimate micro-management.
    • No work life balance
    • The company does not genuinely care about you as a person
    • Numerous tedious reports due weekly, monthly, and quarterly that most of management does not even review
    • Managers feel that they are continually tested and walking on eggshells
    • Poor upper management attitudes – the company is only worried about the bottom line
    • Incentive package is a scam – discretionary bonus (which is 50% of your yearly bonus plan) is only awarded after 15+ loopholes of requirements are fulfilled
    • Poor HR department, they do not show concern for their employees – once again reflects attitudes of upper management
    • Next to no training, expectations of line associates and managers are not presented clearly, thus when their “expectations” are not met, an individual is made to feel as they have done something wrong when they did not know what was expected of them.
    • Absolutely poor communication
    • Unhealthy work environment

Show concern for your ultimate asset - your employees. Revise the incentive plan - it's not competitive with the market. Make sure positions are filled - high turnover results in more load for a short-handed staff to carry.

5. The Micro-managing Company

I have been working at Pyramid Hotel Group

Pros

Since they are managing a lot of hotels and other properties, there is room for growth. I started as an hourly employee, now I am a manager. A great place to gain experience. Complete benefit package with 401K.

Cons

The higher you go the tighter corporate is to you. They micromanage managers too much. Reports are very important. They have this uniform template of reports that are so complex that they expect you to master it the minute you receive it from them. Other reports are redundant since they can always browse it themselves in the system. they can be very demanding

Corporate should trust your managers more in doing their jobs. Micromanaging only upsets hotel managers especially in operations because they are "scared" corporate might disapprove especially in dealing with labor productivity

6. Not who they say they are

I have been working at Pyramid Hotel Group

Pros

hard to think of any

Cons

company does not walk the talk. Everything is micro-managed with old ideas

be collaborative and allow new ways of thinking

7. I wish I had better things to say

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ponte Vedra, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ponte Vedra, FL

I have been working at Pyramid Hotel Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, hotel perks, great co workers. All 3 GMs that came and went were nice. 401k, medical, dental, vision, life insurance

Cons

Low wages, poor management, incestual work environment (she dates him, he's married to her), very poor scheduling. Upper management will swoop low to make the numbers "fit".

Stop trying to reinvent the wheel and get over yourselves. Just put in an honest day's work and the rest will fall into place. Your employees will respect you.

8. Avoid like its your job to

I worked at Pyramid Hotel Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Base pay is fair
    Some decent people

Cons

Bonus plan achievement was like hunting unicorns
    Abusive culture-yelling/screaming part of everyday culture-didn't see on website

Leadership from Boston-treat people better in the field GM level- they'll be better to their staffs-staffs will be better to guests-guest will support with business-not rocket science

Peer review ?

Current Employee - Front Desk Supervisor in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Front Desk Supervisor in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Pyramid Hotel Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like working for pyramid because of the care culture.

Cons

Some challenges I face is the pay scale after working nearly 3 years I have received a very small raise! I have been promoted 2x and became associated of the month once. Associate reviews also known as peer reviews/pay increase scale is poorly designed. I have been recognized by many guests and directly increased hotel scores to a positive number. However when it comes time for my review it's never a perfect review ? Who truly gets a perfect score on a review ?

Pay the under dogs more ! We are the ones in the front line of business ensuring those important scores go! It sure would be nice to see a pay check of $ 1000.00 or more for those who are supervisors change the way associates are reviewed, offer more management training for those associates wanting to move to a higher role. I.E management at another property for a week like a shadow program.

10. Promotes family work balance, We are family. Really?

I worked at Pyramid Hotel Group

Pros

Great benefits. Blue Cross, great insurance. No 401K, not sure why others had it and we did not.

Cons

They are your family. That is what they meant by "We are Family". Kiss your family goodbye.

Too demanding, too much reporting the same information over and over yet no one reads it at the corporate level. Paper paper paper.

11. Great place to grow in hospitality field

Former Contractor - Bartender in Newton, MA
    Former Contractor - Bartender in Newton, MA

I worked at Pyramid Hotel Group as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

My co-workers were great here. I worked for the bar (Bokx 109) inside the Hotel Indigo in Newton. Management was great and everyone worked toward a common goal.

Cons

Summer position ended and wasn't offered a full time position. Hotel Management can be picky at times when you try to lounge after your shift

I would have preferred more responsibility, as a level headed individual I knew how to conduct myself on the premises.